or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue

Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue - Page 2

post #41 of 123

Is Apple morphing into Sony to become a full fledged consumer electronics company? Will we see Apple refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc. all running iOS?

post #42 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Cue's position is SVP of Software & Services.  iTunes is only one product he's in charge of.

Exactly.

Making Iovine head of iTunes won't change Cue's role... much.

iTunes is about to get much much bigger... Apple hopes.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He'll probably structured to focus on new artists, and certain regions of the world, reporting back to Cue. I assume this acquisition is an Apple subsidiary so neither guy will have a position in the Apple Executive Team.

As for the rest of the ``Beats Music'' executives, I see them paid a price and walk away as they won't be running much anymore.

Apple subsidiary?

Has Apple ever done that before?

From everything I'm reading I really doubt it.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #44 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is Apple morphing into Sony to become a full fledged consumer electronics company? Will we see Apple refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc. all running iOS?

I'm waiting for my Apple electric toothbrush.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #45 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Well all I can say that is if Cook, Ives, and Cue are making this statement there must be something to it.

Agreed.  This isn't Ballmer we're talking about.  Apple just raised expectations intentionally.  Interesting times.

post #46 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRs View Post

They could just do a mild update to several products and technically it would be the "best product pipeline he's seen in 25 years." 

What we want/think his statement to mean: "We will introduce the best revolutionary products I've seen in all my 25 years at Apple."  

- and what he actually said are not the same. 

Exactly. People are misinterpreting his words. He said "best pipeline" not "best product". Pipeline of could refer to the combination of quantity and quality.
post #47 of 123

Really getting tired of the "So excited about the great products we have in the pipeline" speech from Apple execs.  Spare us the PR hype machine and just release the stuff when it's ready.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #48 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Exactly. People are misinterpreting his words. He said "best pipeline" not "best product". Pipeline of could refer to the combination of quantity and quality.

Apple is going into the oil business!! Agreed, he probably meant the whole spectrum of devices and not just individual products.
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

What's he supposed to say? "We've got sh*t products in the pipeline for 2014?

he could say any of the normal noncommittal statements such as "I'm very excited about our future", or even nothing at all. one does not boast about the best *ever* unless there is something to back it up. something, not nothing.

post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudq View Post

Yes. The best products but not cheap ones.

when has cheap bean apple's MO? 

post #51 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple subsidiary?

Has Apple ever done that before?

From everything I'm reading I really doubt it.

Filemaker/Claris.

post #52 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Hope they get a new category out soon. That is something they promised and must deliver.

still perplexed by this -- why? what happens if they dont get a new category out in the short term? they remain the single-best-selling smartphones, tablets, and computers in the industry, and earn massive, record-setting profits. how does it hurt you?

post #53 of 123
Quote:

Saying the are better is a pretty low bar for Apple. Each revision is the "best ever" and they can say that with a straight face. Usually thinner, faster, more capable, better battery life, and sometimes cheaper. Say we get $100 cheaper iMacs that are spec bumped. Those would be the best in 25 years. 1smile.gif

Hope they get a new category out soon. That is something they promised and must deliver.

"Low bar" is right.  I'm just hoping they update the Mac mini with Haswell processors.  Seriously, how hard would it be to spec bump the one Mac left on the prior generation processors?

post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

"Low bar" is right.  I'm just hoping they update the Mac mini with Haswell processors.  Seriously, how hard would it be to spec bump the one Mac left on the prior generation processors?

I don't think it's a question of difficulty but perhaps a question of a redesign. Maybe the mini will turn into a puck shaped device.
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Filemaker/Claris.

I guess Apple has done it... but not this Apple.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #56 of 123

By the "best pipeline" what he actually means is the cleanest, most minimalistic pipeline design you've ever seen!  They've removed all those products that get in the way to help the consumer enjoy Apple for being Apple. Nice, stark, clean pipeline.

Just kidding!

No I'm really excited for this year. I believe the relative calm is because they are gearing up for a transformative year that we have never seen come out of Apple. There's a reason they are building that spaceship campus and hiring like mad to support the new reality of the new Apple.

post #57 of 123
I definitely don't think that Iovine will interrupt the current position that Eddy Cue holds. He's very very good at what he does.

I really like the angle that by buying Beats, they don't just get some technology, but they get a much closer relationship with the music industry itself. That's something you can't just build in a secret room at 1 Infinite loop.

Also, Cue's comments on a great upcoming line up is common for Apple employees to allude to, it certainly won't get him chastised. He didn't reveal anything people don't already know.
post #58 of 123
What about the 'effin Mac mini?!?! %uD83D%uDE01
post #59 of 123
Quote:

I'm waiting for my Apple electric toothbrush.

I would actually buy one of those before I ever buy any Beats headphones.:lol:

post #60 of 123
They always say "this year we have the best product pipeline evar!" - and it seems like they emphasize that on years with weaker updates.

But I don't see much reason to disbelieve them this time - yet. Only time will really tell.
Edited by JeffDM - 5/29/14 at 9:34am
post #61 of 123

Making Iovine head of iTunes won't change Cue's role... much.

iTunes is about to get much much bigger... Apple hopes.

Apple buys Beats for the talent making Iovine and Dre billionaires and Apple employees.

It would be difficult for me to be a billionaire and still have work 9-5 and take orders from a boss.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #62 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How about just "We've got some great products coming up this year"?

Saying that it's the best product pipeline in 25 years? Wow, that is one hell of a bold statement to be making, and it sets the expectations sky high.

I'm still a little puzzled and disappointed by the whole Beats deal, which is why I haven't really bothered to comment on it since it became official, but this might just cancel my bad feelings for that out, if what he claims is actually true.

Like many people here have probably been doing, I've been watching Apple keynotes for years and years, and I am now fully expecting to be completely blown away by some amazing Apple products whenever they are announced sometime this year. Anything less than me being completely blown away would now be a disappointment to me, because I am of course expecting the best product pipeline in 25 years to be shown. Apple really has to deliver now.

Under promise, over deliver is something Apple doesn't seem to value anymore.

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

post #63 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple buys Beats for the talent making Iovine and Dre billionaires and Apple employees.

It would be difficult for me to be a billionaire and still have work 9-5 and take orders from a boss.

I actually thought about that and I have to agree with you. Maybe Iovine, who is 61, will just retire in the next year or two. I wonder what his contract states.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #64 of 123
Quote:

I actually thought about that and I have to agree with you. Maybe Iovine, who is 61, will just retire in the next year or two. I wonder what his contract states.

I have to disagree. Both Lovine and Dre were extremely well off before this buy out. They had no need to work other than for the enjoyment of it. I don't see how that's going to change with the new numbers in their bank accounts.

K
post #65 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

I have to disagree. Both Lovine and Dre were extremely well off before this buy out. They had no need to work other than for the enjoyment of it. I don't see how that's going to change with the new numbers in their bank accounts.

K

Sure but they were the bosses and could do whatever they wanted. Now they have to take orders. I don't know if you have ever worked for yourself but unless you go bankrupt and have to go get a job, it is difficult to ever work for someone else again.

post #66 of 123
Of course what Eddy said must be true!
Apple is improving every item in their product line as time goes by. So naturally the product line is going to be the best apple has ever offered !
He did not say we are going to introduce the most revolutionary product in the last 25 years.
He said we have the best product line in the last 25 years.
post #67 of 123

Smart home automation is already a big market and it will be massive pretty soon. I can really see Apple making big inroads here. The current players offer products that are very discordant and also very expensive. Lots of competing and incompatible technologies that consumers are expected to make work together or simply outfit your whole home with one type and hope that company stay in business. Apple with it's scale, knowledge of hardware and software, and also great engineers could create a smart home platform that could allow consumers to operate their lights, security, air, sprinklers, garage doors, and pretty much everything else you can imagine very easily and also far cheaper than anything on the market right now thanks to the iPhone and iPad and even the Apple TV and Mac. This along with a move into cars would allow Apple to diversify and not rely on just iPhone revenue for growth. 

post #68 of 123

Oh dear, another 'year-of-the-chock-full-pipeline' quote.

Last one didn't turn out so well, but here's hoping.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #69 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Last year they said 2013 and throughout 2014. Last time I checked, there are about 7 months left in 2014.
post #70 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In what way did it not turn out so well?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #71 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

still perplexed by this -- why? what happens if they dont get a new category out in the short term? they remain the single-best-selling smartphones, tablets, and computers in the industry, and earn massive, record-setting profits. how does it hurt you?

Not sure what you are perplexed about. If they don't do it after Tim promised they would, the stock will tank big time. That hurts me. If they keep their mouth shut and don't promise new categories in specific timeframes, then it would not be an issue. In summary - Tim said it, now he needs to deliver. I sure didn't advocate him saying it.

post #72 of 123
Quote:

Welcome to Hollyweird.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #73 of 123
Quote:

Not sure what you are perplexed about. If they don't do it after Tim promised they would, the stock will tank big time. That hurts me. If they keep their mouth shut and don't promise new categories in specific timeframes, then it would not be an issue. In summary - Tim said it, now he needs to deliver. I sure didn't advocate him saying it.

When did Cook promise a new product category this year?

post #74 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When did Cook promise a new product category this year?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2014/01/27/apple-ceo-tim-cook-again-promises-new-product-categories-but-investors-are-getting-restless/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #75 of 123
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think that will happen. The guy went from Chaiman of a record company to being Apple's media negotiations guru. In that sense he is replacing Jobs and not Cue. He has been in Music, but can now reach into TV, Film, and promotional projects and products for all of forms of media. The dudes playground just got super sized.

post #76 of 123

Thanks for the link, but I don't see how Forbes concluded that Cook stated Apple will release one or more product categories this year based on the quoted statements.

post #77 of 123
Quote:

I don't think that will happen. The guy went from Chaiman of a record company to being Apple's media negotiations guru. In that sense he is replacing Jobs and not Cue. He has been in Music, but can now reach into TV, Film, and promotional projects and products for all of forms of media. The dudes playground just got super sized.

As Mstone said... this time he has handlers. We'll see.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #78 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In what way did it not turn out so well?

Primarily because it wasn't a full year, it was the Fall of 2013 and we didn't see anything really new.

Now, as jungmark mentioned, there's likely going to be a spurt of releases next week and then in the fall again.

I'll hold off on criticism till I see the actual products, but cutting $100. off the iMac doesn't seem to me to be the way to grow sales of Macs.

I want something that makes the iMac a must have again.

Maybe, as I said here years ago, if they could tie home security, appliance automation, entertainment and energy use monitoring tightly into every iMac, developers would install them in every new home. So far, they've only done entertainment, though home security can be done third-party, and automation is now the new rumour.

post #79 of 123

Monitoring water use and indoor air quality would also seem like great options.

Though the latter seem more of a NEST kind of thing.

post #80 of 123

Looks pretty clear to me that Eddy was overworked. When Apple started the online store, it was Cue. They added iTunes, it was Cue. They got into network problems with mac.com, call in Cue. The guy was overworked. The music business is only the beginning. Apple will start a Network. that delivers -- effectively -- millions of channels, free, advertising-based, or pay subscriptions -- and you search for and choose a bunch of things you want to see. Pass it on. : ) 

That's not a "rumor," it's wishful thinking. The challenge of the business in the next ten years is the integration of television and the computer. The cable-satellite-fiber cartel want to bring you 500 channels with '90s technology, and you pay for that and the phone and "data" and you end up putting me over $200 a month for lousy content and lousy TV. Bring the Internet, the only network there is, to your living room. The producers, like HBO, have this all diagnosed. What if you could buy HBO for 12.95 a month, and your gigabit Internet for $40? What free, ad-based or pay programming would you want? 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue