or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Thanks for the link, but I don't see how Forbes concluded that Cook stated Apple will release one or more product categories this year based on the quoted statements.

 

Forbes is also not above clickbait.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Forbes is also not above clickbait.

That's too bad. I was hoping for something that specifically indicated a new product category to be released this year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's too bad. I was hoping for something that specifically indicated a new product category to be released this year.

 

Nah. There's nothing really concrete on anything beyond iOS 8 or OSX Yosemite (or whatever it's going to be called), I think.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
 
Maybe, as I said here years ago, if they could tie home security, appliance automation, entertainment and energy use monitoring tightly into every iMac, developers would install them in every new home. So far, they've only done entertainment, though home security can be done third-party, and automation is now the new rumour.

One of the differences between home entertainment and home security is that for security, you need a certified contractor/installer and monitoring service. If your movie quits streaming in the middle of the show, oh well, but if fire breaks out and your alarm system doesn't work, your house burns down. Insurance companies do not accept homeowner installed security systems as valid. Apple has never done anything that put them in a vulnerable position like that. They focus on consumer gadgets and equipment no commercial or industrial goods.

 

If you are offering an integrated environmental and security system, you are taking responsibility for some high priced stuff, when something goes wrong. As someone mentioned months ago when Nest announced their smoke detector, weird stuff can happen, as an example, if a fire starts in a room and the thermostat turns the AC on high in response, which only serves to fan the flames, you make matters worse instead of better. I think Apple is risk averse to things like that.


Edited by mstone - 5/29/14 at 5:15pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

One of the differences between home entertainment and home security is that for security, you need a certified contractor/installer and monitoring service. If your movie quits streaming in the middle of the show, oh well, but if fire breaks out and your alarm system doesn't work, your house burns down. Insurance companies do not accept homeowner installed security systems as valid. Apple has never done anything that put them in a vulnerable position like that. They focus on consumer gadgets and equipment no commercial or industrial goods.

 

If you are offering an integrated environmental and security system, you are taking responsibility for some high priced stuff, when something goes wrong. As someone mentioned months ago when Nest announced their smoke detector, weird stuff can happen, as an example, if a fire starts in a room and the thermostat turns the AC on high in response, which only serves to fan the flames, you make matters worse instead of better. I think Apple is risk averse to things like that.

 

Nah, security is going the way of the digital hub.

There are concerns to be sure, but it's too late to stop the train.


Edited by Frank777 - 5/29/14 at 7:48pm
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #86 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Apple subsidiary?

 

Has Apple ever done that before?

 

From everything I'm reading I really doubt it.

 

Filemaker Inc. is a subsidiary.

 

http://www.filemaker.com/company/legal/

 

Quote:
 

FileMaker, Inc. Legal

FileMaker, Inc. is a subsidiary of Apple Inc. The links here describe our company policies on privacy, anti-piracy, use of content and software found on our site, as well as sample licenses for our retail products and volume licensing program, information on our trademarks, and other FileMaker legal information. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Thank you for your interest in FileMaker.

post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Filemaker Inc. is a subsidiary.

Quite right. Then there's Braeburn & Anobit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braeburn_Capital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anobit

And all their tax stuff:
"Apple created subsidiaries in low-tax places such as the Republic of Ireland, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the British Virgin Islands."

So quite a few.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #88 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 

 

Filemaker Inc. is a subsidiary.

 

http://www.filemaker.com/company/legal/

 

 

You are too late! The goalpost has already been moved!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I guess Apple has done it... but not this Apple.

post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Exactly. People are misinterpreting his words. He said "best pipeline" not "best product". Pipeline of could refer to the combination of quantity and quality.

It also doesn't imply totally new devices. For example MBP's are in the pipeline as are iMacs and hopefully a Mini. Hell there is probably a Mac Pro in the pipeline.
Edited by wizard69 - 5/30/14 at 4:12am
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Looks pretty clear to me that Eddy was overworked. When Apple started the online store, it was Cue. They added iTunes, it was Cue. They got into network problems with mac.com, call in Cue. The guy was overworked. The music business is only the beginning. Apple will start a Network. that delivers -- effectively -- millions of channels, free, advertising-based, or pay subscriptions -- and you search for and choose a bunch of things you want to see. Pass it on. : ) 

That's not a "rumor," it's wishful thinking. The challenge of the business in the next ten years is the integration of television and the computer. The cable-satellite-fiber cartel want to bring you 500 channels with '90s technology, and you pay for that and the phone and "data" and you end up putting me over $200 a month for lousy content and lousy TV. Bring the Internet, the only network there is, to your living room. The producers, like HBO, have this all diagnosed. What if you could buy HBO for 12.95 a month, and your gigabit Internet for $40? What free, ad-based or pay programming would you want? 

Actually the whole problem with the cable world is the excessive fees charged, $40 a month for an Internet connection is highway robbery. Taking on things like HBO just blows the bill out of proportion to the value it supposedly has. If Apple could attack how theses services are structured we might actually end up with something people would feel is worth the money. If you think about it you can go to a movie once a week and save a large chunk of change over the average cable bill. I some locales you can take two per week and buy over priced snacks and still end up spending less than what would be your cable bill.

What I'm getting at here is that people do not have an elastic cable budget and there is limited ability to further milk the cow with new services. That is unless those services when summed up some how become a better value. The cable industry itself has been reconsidering the high price approach after a lot of customer defections. In the end though what local governments really need to consider is opening up their communities to competition. So Apple really needs to find a way to restructure the industry if it wants to see widespread adoption of some of these technologies.

Speaking of which, does anybody out there find streaming over the Internet, especially audio, to be stupid? For one it just saturates the net with far to much repetitive data. Then there is the reality of old fashion radio which works very well. I really don't see the rational for burning up that bandwidth even if I'm not paying for it. Think about it, streaming squeezes your wallet in three ways: the cost of the Internet connection and any excess data costs if any, the cost of the streaming service, and the cost of advertising.
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
 The cable industry itself has been reconsidering the high price approach after a lot of customer defections. In the end though what local governments really need to consider is opening up their communities to competition. So Apple really needs to find a way to restructure the industry if it wants to see widespread adoption of some of these technologies.

Most municipalities tend to lease the rights for a given number of years in return for private companies taking on the cost of developing specific infrastructure. I don't know how well it actually works out from place to place, because these companies do at times under-deliver relative to what is promised, often citing unforeseen costs.

post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

 

You are too late! The goalpost has already been moved!

 

 

Well, has this Apple ever done it (Jobs/Cook)? Seriously.

 

Slowly, Tim Cook has made this his Apple. With the Beats deal, Tim Cook has finally put his stamp on the company in a big way.

 

I agreed that Apple has made a subsidiary in the past but that was 26 years ago. I wouldn't call it moving the goal posts. I'd call it defining the era in which it happened.


Edited by island hermit - 5/30/14 at 6:32am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Quite right. Then there's Braeburn & Anobit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braeburn_Capital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anobit

And all their tax stuff:
"Apple created subsidiaries in low-tax places such as the Republic of Ireland, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the British Virgin Islands."

So quite a few.

 

Good to know.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 

 

Filemaker Inc. is a subsidiary.

 

http://www.filemaker.com/company/legal/

 

 

I agree with that, I had forgotten about Claris.

 

Just so you know... my last statement...

 

"From everything I'm reading I really doubt it."

 

... honestly wasn't about doubting if Apple had ever created a subsidiary... because I wasn't sure if Apple had or not.

 

It was about doubting if they would create a subsidiary of Beats because it sounded to me that they were already starting to meld the company into Apple.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


why do you say that?

 

What job do you think Cook will give to Iovine?

 

Making music deals? Isn't that one of Cue's jobs?

 

Running iTunes? Isn't that one of Cue's jobs?

 

I think that there will be some head butting in the iTunes department... and $3 billion tells me that Eddie isn't going to win.

 

jmho

Iovine's job: milking the iTunes cow.

Cue's job: snookering the competition.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #96 of 123

So the products Apple introduced 26 years ago were better than what's coming this year? Apple is doomed.

 

/s

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Is Apple morphing into Sony to become a full fledged consumer electronics company? Will we see Apple refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc. all running iOS?

Yes-and toasters.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Is Apple morphing into Sony to become a full fledged consumer electronics company? Will we see Apple refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc. all running iOS?

 

I'm waiting for my Apple electric toothbrush.

I'm waiting for my Apple juicer.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Saying the are better is a pretty low bar for Apple. Each revision is the "best ever" and they can say that with a straight face. Usually thinner, faster, more capable, better battery life, and sometimes cheaper. Say we get $100 cheaper iMacs that are spec bumped. Those would be the best in 25 years. 1smile.gif

Hope they get a new category out soon. That is something they promised and must deliver.

 

"Low bar" is right.  I'm just hoping they update the Mac mini with Haswell processors.  Seriously, how hard would it be to spec bump the one Mac left on the prior generation processors?

The more you run out of patience, the harder it is for the spec bump. :)

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Forbes is also not above clickbait.

That's too bad. I was hoping for something that specifically indicated a new product category to be released this year.

Don't you remember Tim Cook saying it? He said it either last year or this; I can't remember when.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Don't you remember Tim Cook saying it? He said it either last year or this; I can't remember when.

I seem to recall something that was interpreted as such but I don't recall a direct statement of a new product category.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Don't you remember Tim Cook saying it? He said it either last year or this; I can't remember when.

I seem to recall something that was interpreted as such but I don't recall a direct statement of a new product category.

He was quite explicit, though tempered it with 'what anyone would reasonably call a new product category.' Due this year, he said.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

He was quite explicit, though tempered it with 'what anyone would reasonably call a new product category.' Due this year, he said.

Then we need evidence to support the claim.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

He was quite explicit, though tempered it with 'what anyone would reasonably call a new product category.' Due this year, he said.

Then we need evidence to support the claim.

Or you could just believe me.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Or you could just believe me.

1) Absolutely not! I'm a scientist. If it can't be proven then there is a chance it's not accurate. I've even recanted on comments I've made simply because I was not able to back them up even though my memory told me I was correct. If I won't do it for myself why would I do it for anyone else?

2) I did see some quotes that range from "There will be new product categories" to "There will be new categories" but they never seem to include any context as what was being discussed. I've also seen the same statements in a WSJ interview and an earnings call but, again, no context. For that to be a slam dunk in regards to Cook stating it it would have had to state he's talking about a new major HW product category without any disambiguation and state a time frame that make it clear. SW can be a new product category, too. That said, I think it's likely we'll see Apple announce a major HW product category this year, but that's a guess based on many feelings I mostly have about state-of-the-art of certain technologies and Apple's revenue plateauing.

3) Wouldn't Apple buying Beats Electronics give them a new HW product category? Certainly a new segment of that product category. Beats Music definitely give Apple a music subscription service, which they've never had, so that is a new SW product category with its own revenue stream. If we fill in the blanks to support our desires are really doing ourselves a service?
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/31/14 at 4:24pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

He was quite explicit, though tempered it with 'what anyone would reasonably call a new product category.' Due this year, he said.

Then we need evidence to support the claim.

Or you could just believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Or you could just believe me.

1) Absolutely not! I'm a scientist. If it can't be proven then there is a chance it's not accurate. I've even recanted on comments I've made simply because I was not able to back them up even though my memory told me I was correct. If I won't do it for myself why would I do it for anyone else?

2) I did see some quotes that range from "There will be new product categories" to "There will be new categories" but they never seem to include any context as what was being discussed. I've also seen the same statements in a WSJ interview and an earnings call but, again, no context. For that to be a slam dunk in regards to Cook stating it it would have had to state he's talking about a new major HW product category without any disambiguation and state a time frame that make it clear. SW can be a new product category, too. That said, I think it's likely we'll see Apple announce a major HW product category this year, but that's a guess based on many feelings I mostly have about state-of-the-art of certain technologies and Apple's revenue plateauing.

3) Wouldn't Apple buying Beats Electronics give them a new HW product category? Certainly a new segment of that product category. Beats Music definitely give Apple a music subscription service, which they've never had, so that is a new SW product category with its own revenue stream. If we fill in the blanks to support our desires are really doing ourselves a service?

1 Here's the thing: I know Tim said it, but I don't care enough to go hunting for an article where it quotes him. You or I could do this, so if you really need proof, you're welcome to go looking.

 

2+3 Headphones could be called a new product category for Apple, but they are hardly going to set the world alight, so I'm sure that he is referring to something else, even if it's modified headphones. A subscription service is more plausible. 

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

...but they are hardly going to set the world alight, so I'm sure that he is referring to something else...

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Your desire is for it be something amazing, earth-shattering, game-changing, and awe-inspiring so you've concluded without any evidence that he must be referring to something better than we've seen with Beats as being *new* for Apple. My desire is the same, but it's not logical to take executive speak and build a fantasy around it.

Remember he's been saying for years that they have great products in the pipeline — and we know that they have released great products since he took over — but people have irrationally chosen to interrupt that that being a new revolutionary product category and then have chosen to get upset or claim Apple is faltering because their fantastical aspirations weren't met.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 123
Our new product pipeline is CNC milled using the finest aluminium available... —Jony Ive

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #109 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

...but they are hardly going to set the world alight, so I'm sure that he is referring to something else...

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Your desire is for it be something amazing, earth-shattering, game-changing, and awe-inspiring so you've concluded without any evidence that he must be referring to something better than we've seen with Beats as being *new* for Apple. My desire is the same, but it's not logical to take executive speak and build a fantasy around it.

Remember he's been saying for years that they have great products in the pipeline — and we know that they have released great products since he took over — but people have irrationally chosen to interrupt that that being a new revolutionary product category and then have chosen to get upset or claim Apple is faltering because their fantastical aspirations weren't met.

I think it was a quarterly conference call where Tim made the comment. 

 

Whilst it's theoretically possible that he could have been referring to the Beats headphones, it's highly unlikely. The call was over an hour long, and he said a whole lot more pertaining to the topic. Sometimes one has to go beyond logic for evidence and examine tone, intent and history. When it comes to predicting future Apple products, there's not much else you can do, other than leaks.

 

I think Apple may even keep the calls as podcasts, so you can listen to the scintillating details! 

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

When it comes to predicting future Apple products, there's not much else you can do, other than leaks.

1) There is nothing with making predictions based on the historical data patterns and circumstantial evidence but don't confuse that with proof. The end result is playing the odds so even if you're right you can't take that win as proof that the same methodology will work out every time. It's like playing Blackjack where you are showing an 11 and the dealer a 16. The odds say you should double down but there is no guarantee you'll win that hand.

2) The year before Mavericks was demoed I constructed an argument as to why I thought it might behoove Apple financially to make Mac OS X free for all users. My argument was based on many factors, like iOS being free, an implication that major Mac OS X updates would happen annually, the paid MobileMe being replaced with the free iCloud, Apple's profits coming from the HW, Mac OS X users being spread out across many generations (unlike iOS), and a variety of reasons why I felt it could save Apple and 3rd-party developers money if they can focus Mac support for a smaller subset of OSes whilst targeting more users. It was a hypothesis (and it wast well liked) but in no way does that make me clairvoyant or make any future arguments that contain zero hard evidence as likely to be correct.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

When it comes to predicting future Apple products, there's not much else you can do, other than leaks.

1) There is nothing with making predictions based on the historical data patterns and circumstantial evidence but don't confuse that with proof. The end result is playing the odds so even if you're right you can't take that win as proof that the same methodology will work out every time. It's like playing Blackjack where you are showing an 11 and the dealer a 16. The odds say you should double down but there is no guarantee you'll win that hand.

2) The year before Mavericks was demoed I constructed an argument as to why I thought it might behoove Apple financially to make Mac OS X free for all users. My argument was based on many factors, like iOS being free, an implication that major Mac OS X updates would happen annually, the paid MobileMe being replaced with the free iCloud, Apple's profits coming from the HW, Mac OS X users being spread out across many generations (unlike iOS), and a variety of reasons why I felt it could save Apple and 3rd-party developers money if they can focus Mac support for a smaller subset of OSes whilst targeting more users. It was a hypothesis (and it wast well liked) but in no way does that make me clairvoyant or make any future arguments that contain zero hard evidence as likely to be correct.

I take all your points! It's just that, in this case, Tim Cook categorically referred to new product categories coming by this year, which is a very unusual thing to do for a shareholder call. So it's reasonable to suppose that he'll stick to his word. Personally, I'm not convinced we'll see an iWatch, because Cook was so down on the idea himself—he said "No-one wears watches these days" or something similar. On the other hand, that could be a bluff.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I take all your points! It's just that, in this case, Tim Cook categorically referred to new product categories coming by this year, which is a very unusual thing to do for a shareholder call. So it's reasonable to suppose that he'll stick to his word.

Here is the Forbes article previously referenced in this thread. Where in there is undeniable evidence?

Quote:
Personally, I'm not convinced we'll see an iWatch, because Cook was so down on the idea himself—he said "No-one wears watches these days" or something similar. On the other hand, that could be a bluff.

I seem to recall Jobs making such statements in the past, but the "current lot of [16:9] 7" tablets are DOA" comment is not one of them.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I take all your points! It's just that, in this case, Tim Cook categorically referred to new product categories coming by this year, which is a very unusual thing to do for a shareholder call. So it's reasonable to suppose that he'll stick to his word.

Here is the Forbes article previously referenced in this thread. Where in there is undeniable evidence?

Quote:
Personally, I'm not convinced we'll see an iWatch, because Cook was so down on the idea himself—he said "No-one wears watches these days" or something similar. On the other hand, that could be a bluff.

I seem to recall Jobs making such statements in the past, but the "current lot of [16:9] 7" tablets are DOA" comment is not one of them.

The no one wears watches quote was I think with an interview with Mossberg. The Forbes article you cite refers to another time. It's very incomplete. Tim Cook did actually use the words 'new product categories' in that order! It may have been singular. As I say, I think it was a quarterly call, so you may struggle to find the exact quote. Seeking Alpha keep complete transcripts of the Apple calls.

There's no doubt in my mind that Cook explicitly referred to them—just a question now of sitting back and waiting for them this year. Might be next week if we're lucky; otherwise, September/October like normal, huh?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The no one wears watches quote was I think with an interview with Mossberg. The Forbes article you cite refers to another time. It's very incomplete. Tim Cook did actually use the words 'new product categories' in that order! It may have been singular. As I say, I think it was a quarterly call, so you may struggle to find the exact quote. Seeking Alpha keep complete transcripts of the Apple calls.

There's no doubt in my mind that Cook explicitly referred to them—just a question now of sitting back and waiting for them this year. Might be next week if we're lucky; otherwise, September/October like normal, huh?


1) If he said that then he's axiomatically wrong. Watches are billion dollar business. Of course, he surely didn't mean that to be taken literally (which I think you'd agree) then can we expect everything else he's stated to be taken literally, especially when there is still no proof presented that indicates that he stated there will be new HW product categories by the end of 2014 or within a year's time. If this was such an amazing statement and not one that was misinterpreted by saucer-eyed Apple fans then why can't it be easy found in full context? I'm curious why you don't find that suspicious.

2) Note that if Apple releases advanced wearable CE (not just the headphones we've had for many decades) I think the wrist is a great location which is a big reason why wristwatches have had a better lifespan over pocket watches. But I wouldn't call this a watch or even a smartwatch, and you may have noticed I use some form of the terms wearable or wrist-worn device. I think that's an important distinction.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Is Apple morphing into Sony to become a full fledged consumer electronics company? Will we see Apple refrigerators, lawn mowers, etc. all running iOS?

Yes-and toasters.

 

When I was describing to my wife the size of the RAID I wanted to buy I said "it's kind of like a toaster."

 

We wound up buying one. We call it "the toaster."

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The no one wears watches quote was I think with an interview with Mossberg. The Forbes article you cite refers to another time. It's very incomplete. Tim Cook did actually use the words 'new product categories' in that order! It may have been singular. As I say, I think it was a quarterly call, so you may struggle to find the exact quote. Seeking Alpha keep complete transcripts of the Apple calls.

There's no doubt in my mind that Cook explicitly referred to them—just a question now of sitting back and waiting for them this year. Might be next week if we're lucky; otherwise, September/October like normal, huh?


1) If he said that then he's axiomatically wrong. Watches are billion dollar business. Of course, he surely didn't mean that to be taken literally (which I think you'd agree) then can we expect everything else he's stated to be taken literally, especially when there is still no proof presented that indicates that he stated there will be new HW product categories by the end of 2014 or within a year's time. If this was such an amazing statement and not one that was misinterpreted by saucer-eyed Apple fans then why can't it be easy found in full context? I'm curious why you don't find that suspicious.

2) Note that if Apple releases advanced wearable CE (not just the headphones we've had for many decades) I think the wrist is a great location which is a big reason why wristwatches have had a better lifespan over pocket watches. But I wouldn't call this a watch or even a smartwatch, and you may have noticed I use some form of the terms wearable or wrist-worn device. I think that's an important distinction.

The new product category quote was widely reported at the time it was made. It seems that neither you nor I can be bothered to look for it. That doesn't mean there's no proof; it just means that neither of us care enough about it—me, because my memory serves me well, you, because either you missed the news or you've forgotten it.

Edit: also, I don't know why you put any store in media articles as 'proof.' If you were being truly scientific, you would only regard the original source material as definitive proof, which, in this case, means you need to hear a recording of the original interviews or earnings call. All reports are smoke and mirrors to some extent, including my own.

You could always drop an email to Cook for clarification; I hear he answers them!
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 6/1/14 at 3:52am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

When I was describing to my wife the size of the RAID I wanted to buy I said "it's kind of like a toaster."

 

We wound up buying one. We call it "the toaster."


It would be cool if someone made a toaster that looked like an NAS.

post #118 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It seems that neither you nor I can be bothered to look for it.!

I did look for it. I mentioned I looked for it. I stated various comments I found had titles stating this was said but then no evidence therein that it was said. I heard nothing at the 2Q 2014 conference call nor read anything from the Mossberg transcript. You were the one that said you wouldn't look for it and then told me to just except it as gospel.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/1/14 at 7:19am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It seems that neither you nor I can be bothered to look for it.!

I did look for it. I mentioned I looked for it. I stated various comments I found had titles stating this was said but then no evidence therein that it was said. I heard nothing at the Q 2014 conference call nor read anything from the Mossberg transcript. You were the one that said you wouldn't look for it and then told me to just except it as gospel.

Sure. I was a bit unfair to you.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #120 of 123
Well an hour and a half until WWDC and I will be working through the show. How do you spell frustration? 😁😁😁

I'm very much interested in what is new in the pipeline. And yes I'm expecting much in the way of new hardware and software.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue