or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Beats acquisition to result in first and only Apple apps for Android & Windows Phone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats acquisition to result in first and only Apple apps for Android & Windows Phone

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
When recent reports suggested Apple was considering bringing iTunes to Android to help boost flagging music sales, skeptics scoffed at the thought of the iPhone maker supporting a competing platform. But with its $3 billion purchase of Beats, Apple has now revealed it plans to keep the Beats Music subscription apps alive not only on Google's Android, but also Microsoft's Windows Phone.




Speaking at the Code Conference on Wednesday, Apple executive Eddy Cue revealed that Beats Music for both Android and Windows Phone will continue to exist. That's a significant change for Apple, as the company has historically discontinued applications on competing platforms following an acquisition.

"It's on Android now, and we want to keep it that way," Cue said.

By keeping the popular Beats brand alive, Apple has found a way to give itself a presence on competing platforms -- and sell music subscriptions to even more users -- without directly using the Apple name.

Keeping Beats Music on competing platforms also lessens the chance of federal scrutiny of the acquisition, which is expected to close later this year. Apple is already under sanctions from the U.S. government for its iBooks service following its defeat in a federal antitrust case.

Interestingly, the official Beats Music website only showcases the application running on an iPhone 5s, with no signs of any Android or Windows Phone devices.




Rumors first surfaced in March claiming that Apple was in talks with record labels about launching an on-demand music service. In hindsight, it would appear that Apple held those apparent talks in anticipation of acquiring Beats Music, which is a Spotify-like service that allows unlimited on-demand music streaming for $99.99 per year.

The same report from Billboard suggested that Apple was considering an iTunes application for Android. Whether that's actually in the works remains to be seen, but the existence of Beats on Android and Windows Phone will still stand as the first Apple-owned applications written for third-party modern smartphone platforms.

Apple, of course, has dabbled in others' platforms before, most prominently with iTunes for Windows PCs. But that came at a time when Apple was pushing its iPod media players, which required syncing with a desktop in order to transfer music.

Presumably, Apple will also keep the Beats application for Microsoft's Windows 8 alive as well. iTunes remains a desktop-only affair, incompatible with Microsoft's tile-based "Metro" interface.




DRM-free music purchased through Apple's iTunes Store can be listened to on Android and Windows Phone handsets if the files are manually synced, but the iTunes application itself does not support syncing. And direct downloads from the iTunes Store to smartphones or tablets are only available on iPhones and iPads.

Similarly, Apple's iTunes Radio service can be streamed to iPhone, iPad, and even Apple TV. And iTunes Radio is also included in iTunes for Mac and Windows, but the service cannot be accessed from an Android device or Windows Phone.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs talked about the prospect of iTunes for Android with biographer Walter Isaacson before he passed away in 2011. Jobs admitted that Apple considered bringing iTunes to Google's mobile platform, but ultimately decided it wasn't a wise decision.

"We put iTunes on Windows in order to sell more iPods," Jobs said. "But I don't see an advantage of putting our own music app on Android, except to make Android users happy. And I don't want to make Android users happy."
post #2 of 46
First and only Windows Windows App. A bit dramatic. :/

I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.
post #3 of 46

It may linger on under the 'beats' moniker what with contracts and paying customers but the clock is ticking.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
post #4 of 46
Certainly the first from Apple for those platforms, but will it be the last? Are we to see more of this from Apple?

We know making iTunes for Windows help catapult the iPod but I don't see that happening with any Android or WinPh app unless there is a wearable from Apple and they've determined that connecting to non-Apple devices is in their best interest (i.e.: bottom line).


PS: I hope we finally get iTunes in iCloud and the Apple TV can connect to it and a Home Server setup so we can decentralize iTunes and be able to edit or iTunes Match setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

First and only Windows Windows App. A bit dramatic. :/

What is so dramatic about it? It's the truth and stated plainly without any ambiguity.
Quote:
I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.

"Microsoft Office for Mac was introduced for Mac OS in 1989, before Office was released for Windows."1 MS Office for Mac has always been profitable for MS which is why they make it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

First and only Windows Windows App. A bit dramatic. :/

I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.

The  "Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac" bit happened as much for MS as it did for Apple. That was necessary to wrap up a settlement in the on going  lawsuit re: ms copy of Apple software....and also, MS got shares for their 150 million "investment in Apple that, if they had kept them , would be worth over 1 Billion $$$ today. Some "lifeline".

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #6 of 46
Beats isn't a major player so why would the Feds care? Oh yea, Amazon's payroll.
post #7 of 46

I care less about Android and Windows, But this is good news! "meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

 

I'm not big fan of Beats Audio but i do like they're logo, hope Apple makes the right decision. 

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #8 of 46
Make sense now..Andriod camp will start paying Apple by not being able to stream ads...totally lock out Amazon devices from the camp
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.

That was so three decades ago. Before the Microsoft productivity apps were bundled together and marketed "MS Office".

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Certainly the first from Apple for those platforms, but will it be the last? Are we to see more of this from Apple?

We know making iTunes for Windows help catapult the iPod but I don't see that happening with any Android or WinPh app unless there is a wearable from Apple and they've determined that connecting to non-Apple devices is in their best interest (i.e.: bottom line).


PS: I hope we finally get iTunes in iCloud and the Apple TV can connect to it and a Home Server setup so we can decentralize iTunes and be able to edit or iTunes Match setup.
What is so dramatic about it? It's the truth and stated plainly without any ambiguity.
"Microsoft Office for Mac was introduced for Mac OS in 1989, before Office was released for Windows."1 MS Office for Mac has always been profitable for MS which is why they make it.

How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google. What does Google gain from offering Android for free? Advertising information. Apple could gut Android's value by taking away Google's core advantages.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

I care less about Android and Windows, But this is good news! "meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

I'm not big fan of Beats Audio but i do like they're logo, hope Apple makes the right decision. 

Disney wholly bought Pixar and Lucasfilm, but kept both brands and their logos. Keeping Beats Electronics as a brand seems to be the operating plan at the moment.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #12 of 46
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
"meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

 

Who says?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #13 of 46
Quote:
How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google.

Agreed and I would like to see iMessage and FaceTime added as well.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google.

Agreed and I would like to see iMessage and FaceTime added as well.

Actually, I mentioned Maps because besides search, this is a source of marketing and advertising revenue for Google. Take away the advertising revenue and Android has no value.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #15 of 46

I'm looking for iMessage on Android so I can use iMessage on Android exclusively on my Apple devices to message everyone.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Microsoft Office for Mac was introduced for Mac OS in 1989, before Office was released for Windows."1 MS Office for Mac has always been profitable for MS which is why they make it.

Not only that, the individual apps like Microsoft Word were available for Mac before being ported to Windows. In fact the only other platform Word supported when Word for Mac launched was MS-DOS.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm looking for iMessage on Android so I can use iMessage on Android exclusively on my Apple devices to message everyone.

I don't think that is likely to happen. Where is the financial benefit for Apple? It seems like it would make it easier for people to leave the iOS platform.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

I'm looking for iMessage on Android so I can use iMessage on Android exclusively on my Apple devices to message everyone.

I'm a believer in tech segregation and I believe that iOS users should not mingle with Android users, and I definitely don't believe that Apple should make iMessage available for any Android devices.

post #19 of 46
So there isn't going to be an iTunes Radio for Android from the looks of it, Apple just uses beats.
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

So there isn't going to be an iTunes Radio for Android from the looks of it, Apple just uses beats.

Nothing wrong with that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 46
Won't iTunes need to be made for droid? How will they purchase?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google. What does Google gain from offering Android for free? Advertising information. Apple could gut Android's value by taking away Google's core advantages.

Majority of all android users will continue to use Google maps. Its what they are use to using and it is arguably superior
post #23 of 46

All of you guys who didn't understand the Beats acquisition by Apple are looking a little short sided now!   You may want to try to think more strategically and for the long term in the future! 

post #24 of 46

Apple will phase out Beats Music service on Android, by  staggering functionality leads for iOS.

post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 

Apple will phase out Beats Music service on Android, by  staggering functionality leads for iOS.

 

Apple will either do what you said OR Apple will morph Beats into iTunes for Android & iTunes for Windows Phone slowly and quietly!  Beats may be like a trojan horse?

post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post
 

 

Apple will either do what you said OR Apple will morph Beats into iTunes for Android & iTunes for Windows Phone slowly and quietly!  Beats may be like a trojan horse?

 

I think the trojan horse is the whole company, not just the streaming music app.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #27 of 46
In my opinion that's an essential part of the deal. Apple now will have a great streaming service open to anyone.
Another important reason for chosing Beats and no one else is that iPhone users will be able to listen to music via an Apple streaming service on Apple headphones.

I'm typing this on an old Android phone and I can tell you that each word is a torture to type. !'!!!
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 

Apple will phase out Beats Music service on Android, by  staggering functionality leads for iOS.

Nope. This is a brilliant move on the part of Apple. They RETAIN the BEATS BRAND already available on Android and Windows, but they replace the engine with iTunes on the back end. BEATS becomes a shell for sell through from the iTunes store, without actually putting the Apple brand on those devices. Yes they ultimately own it, but it's one thing to see an Apple logo on an Android phone, and another to see Beats.

post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think that is likely to happen. Where is the financial benefit for Apple? It seems like it would make it easier for people to leave the iOS platform.

I don't buy that argument at all.

The two things adding iMessage to Android would do is give Apple a lot more iMessage users and give people who are in the Apple device world a nicer product ownership experience. As an Apple device owner and user would I like to be able to use iMessage and its emoji set exclusively and trash every other messaging app on my device? Absolutely!!!

Any Android user with any brain would at the very least download and try iMessage. And once they do I can use iMessage to message them, with no more need for Kik or WhatsApp or anything else.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't buy that argument at all.

The two things adding iMessage to Android would do is give Apple a lot more iMessage users and give people who are in the Apple device world a nicer product ownership experience. As an Apple device owner and user would I like to be able to use iMessage and its emoji set exclusively and trash every other messaging app on my device? Absolutely!!!

Any Android user with any brain would at the very least download and try iMessage. And once they do I can use iMessage to message them, with no more need for Kik or WhatsApp or anything else.

And how does Apple profit from iMessage being used on Android? How does this keep others from jumping to Android? How does this get Android users to jump to iOS? Why haven't they done this already?

Look, I have no problem with iMessage being on other OSes and as user I would like that to happen, but you're not making a case as to why this would be financially beneficial to Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 46
"We put iTunes on Windows in order to sell more iPods," Jobs said. "But I don't see an advantage of putting our own music app on Android, except to make Android users happy. And I don't want to make Android users happy."

Epic!
post #32 of 46
Learning to play well with others is a good thing.
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who says?
The Beats brand is here to stay. Doesn't make sense otherwise IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Nope. This is a brilliant move on the part of Apple. They RETAIN the BEATS BRAND already available on Android and Windows, but they replace the engine with iTunes on the back end. BEATS becomes a shell for sell through from the iTunes store, without actually putting the Apple brand on those devices. Yes they ultimately own it, but it's one thing to see an Apple logo on an Android phone, and another to see Beats.


Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't buy that argument at all.

The two things adding iMessage to Android would do is give Apple a lot more iMessage users and give people who are in the Apple device world a nicer product ownership experience. As an Apple device owner and user would I like to be able to use iMessage and its emoji set exclusively and trash every other messaging app on my device? Absolutely!!!

Any Android user with any brain would at the very least download and try iMessage. And once they do I can use iMessage to message them, with no more need for Kik or WhatsApp or anything else.

Beats music on Android and Windows Phone makes total sense as it's just an additional revenue for Apple.
Message and Facetime, as you explain, makes sense too.

Apart from those two, I don't see another app that does.
Certainly not Maps as some have said here.
Edited by ClemyNX - 5/30/14 at 5:44am
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The Beats brand is here to stay. Doesn't make sense otherwise IMO.
Exactly.
Beats music on Android and Windows Phone makes total sense as it's just an additional revenue for Apple.
Message and Facetime, as you explain, makes sense too.

Apart from those two, I don't see another app that does.
Certainly not Maps as some have said here.

Apple Maps on Android makes perfect strategic sense as a Trojan horse to siphon off Google ad revenue. All Google would be left with would be search revenue...and a few key search engine purchases could effectively gut Google.

DuckDuckGo plus Yahoo! anyone?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The Beats brand is here to stay. Doesn't make sense otherwise IMO.
Exactly.
Beats music on Android and Windows Phone makes total sense as it's just an additional revenue for Apple.
Message and Facetime, as you explain, makes sense too.

Apart from those two, I don't see another app that does.
Certainly not Maps as some have said here.

Apple Maps on Android makes perfect strategic sense as a Trojan horse to siphon off Google ad revenue. All Google would be left with would be search revenue...and a few key search engine purchases could effectively gut Google.

DuckDuckGo plus Yahoo! anyone?
Apple maps on android makes no sense at all. Usage would be minimal at best and wouldn't drive any user towards apple products. iMessage and facetime would be better products to entice people into the Apple ecosystem.
As for trying to gut Google by buying a few search engines even if they bought bing and yahoo that would still leave Google with 80% of the share (a quick search and using statcounter.com, choosing USA and just search engine on tablet.. adding mobile increases Google's market share). So that's not realistic.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Apple maps on android makes no sense at all. Usage would be minimal at best and wouldn't drive any user towards apple products. iMessage and facetime would be better products to entice people into the Apple ecosystem.
As for trying to gut Google by buying a few search engines even if they bought bing and yahoo that would still leave Google with 80% of the share (a quick search and using statcounter.com, choosing USA and just search engine on tablet.. adding mobile increases Google's market share). So that's not realistic.

1) I don't see how dedicated apps on any of those help get people on iOS/Mac and not help make it easier to get off iOS/Mac.

2) I'd like to see a web-based version, for desktop and mobile, for Maps at maps.apple.com. Right now, if you want to send someone a link it uses that as for the domains but then will covert to a maps.google.com and forward your request.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 46
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
The Beats brand is here to stay. Doesnt make sense otherwise IMO.

 

Why? Of its many acquisitions, Apple has only ever kept one brand name around. Ever.

 

FileMaker. Now down to one product.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Of its many acquisitions, Apple has only ever kept one brand name around. Ever.

FileMaker. Now down to one product.

1) Are you sure that's the only one? Wouldn't Siri still count as a "brand name" they kept?

2) I think the why is obvious if Beats really does control the headphone market's revenue and profits.

3) I like the name Beats. I think it fits Apple's simple branding nomenclature to a tee.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


3) I like the name Beats. I think it fits Apple's simple branding nomenclature to a tee.

Do we assume the "...by Dre" part will go away? Their current web site is www.beatsbydre.com , which totally "sucks" (to quote Steve Jobs).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do we assume the "...by Dre" part will go away? Their current web site is www.beatsbydre.com , which totally "sucks" (to quote Steve Jobs).

It clearly helped with the marketing when they launched but it might have to go.

PS: I thought there was another we website for their HW side of business, but I can't seem to find it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Beats acquisition to result in first and only Apple apps for Android & Windows Phone