or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's rumored smart home platform may not live up to hype, report says

Apple's rumored smart home platform may not live up to hype, report says

post #1 of 54
Following rumors that Apple is planning to debut a smart home platform at WWDC, a report on Thursday claims the unannounced program is not as ambitious as market watchers and pundits first thought.

Hue

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's supposed smart home initiative, Gigaom reports the new initiative is less of a platform than it is an extension of the "Made for iPhone" certification program.

The people said Apple plans incorporate some standard home automation functions like easily connecting smart devices to a home's Wi-Fi network, as well as possible remote control over Bluetooth. Apple is also expected to provide hooks into Siri for voice control operations, though restricted to minor commands.

According to these people, Apple's rumored solution is not expected to boast a true automation layer that is able to override individual device apps. The possibility of automating lights, appliances, HVAC systems and more was what made the rumor exciting. Without those capabilities, Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.

While disappointing, end users will likely be able to purchase MFi certified devices that can connect to a central hotspot or even the iPhone itself, negating the need for separate hubs that serve different communications protocols, the people said.

It is possible that Apple may one day introduce universal control to the as-yet-unannounced platform, but the system debuting at WWDC next week will not include that advanced functionality.

AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.
post #2 of 54
So I guess we are now at the "rumors of the demise of Apple caused by rumors of new products that were rumored to be announced at WWDC to be rumored to not be announced" stage.

Ugh. Tuesday can't get here soon enough!
Edited by jkichline - 5/29/14 at 3:22pm
post #3 of 54
"While disappointing".... says who?
post #4 of 54

At this point, it does not matter- Stock will see new highs in 2014! 

Bottom Line- Buy the Fuc.ing Dips (BTFD) is the name of this Game! 

BTFD video :) -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jllJ-HeErjU

post #5 of 54

Is this a new record for the quickest “APPLE WILL REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD” to “APPLE ISN’T ACTUALLY GOING TO DO ANYTHING SELL YOUR STOCK”?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #6 of 54
Wait: a rumor that says a previous rumor was full of hype? Come on, people. How about not getting carried away by every little rumor that pops up? Show a little restraint. Know the difference between reality and fantasies.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 54
This is fucking comical and depressing in its predictability.

"Hype"? What hype? This rumor literally came out 2 days ago out of left field, and there was no details apart from "home automation". They speak as if Apple itself has been hyping something for months. Not a single normal person knows about this rumor- it made a splash on the tech blogs, of course, but the term "hype" is really being abused here. There's nothing to "live up to" because absolutely nothing is known or even predicted. This rumor literally s a day old.

Personally, I can't wait to see iOS8 and OSX10.10. Everything else is icing on the cake, so I'm not going into this expecting to be disappointed.
post #8 of 54
As John Gruber has noted, Apple likes to roll out iterative improvements. If Made for iOS is in place now, why not expand and make logical next-step improvements to expand that in new directions? I'll not be surprised if they make the push slowly (as they have with Apple TV) rather than try to roll out a huge platform all at once. It would build on and leverage an existing initiative, rather than compete with it.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #9 of 54
A passbook app for this would be kind of cool though. The tabs would be different rooms in your house, or different items... Like a tab for Nest, then a tab for lights or whatever the hell else is automated, I don't even know.
post #10 of 54

NY Times is reporting that iOS 8 split screen multitasking won't be ready for WWDC. Mark Gurman says Craig Federighi wasn't at the Code conference because iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 are running behind schedule.

post #11 of 54
Outrage amongst Apple faithful as new rumour disparages yesterday's rumour. Some hope for even newer rumour to disparage latest rumour. Others "fed up with rumours" and wondering "why do I come here at all". Feelings remain high.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

NY Times is reporting that iOS 8 split screen multitasking won't be ready for WWDC. Mark Gurman says Craig Federighi wasn't at the Code conference because iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 are running behind schedule.

If it isn't ready show slides.
post #13 of 54
Isn't "hype" something generated by the seller? Apple hasn't even announced it let alone hyped it. You're conflating rumors with hype. Apple isn't responsible for rumors.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #14 of 54

Wow cycle of rumor, hype, dispelling of the myth, and hopeless despair now fits into 24 hours.

What's next?  1 pm.  New rumor of Apple product!

1:05 pm ELATION!

1:15 RUMOR AND HOPES DASHED

1:22 APPLE IS DOOMED

1:30 NEXT RUMOR!

post #15 of 54
LOL! Yesteray's rumors are today rumored not to be correct, which is 'disappointing'! Oh my!

It all adds up to zero actual information...

Now we're left with the 'disappointing' speculation that 'Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.' Well, that's sorta what Apple does, doesn't it?

Apple Insider, I generally like you guys, but this type of article is just too funny... Perhaps we should all just wait until Tuesday and find out what the facts are and then form opinions...

In the meantime, I'm going to take a little break from this site...
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

LOL! Yesteray's rumors are today rumored not to be correct, which is 'disappointing'! Oh my!

It all adds up to zero actual information...

Now we're left with the 'disappointing' speculation that 'Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.' Well, that's sorta what Apple does, doesn't it?

Apple Insider, I generally like you guys, but this type of article is just too funny... Perhaps we should all just wait until Tuesday and find out what the facts are and then form opinions...

In the meantime, I'm going to take a little break from this site...

"Second Hand News"

—Fleetwood Mac, Album: Rumors

I know there's nothing to say
Someone has taken my place
When times go bad
When times go rough
Won't you lay me down in tall grass
And let me do my stuff

I know I got nothin' on you
I know there's nothing to do
When times go bad
And you can't get enough
Won't you lay me down in the tall grass
And let me do my stuff

One thing I think you should know
I ain't gonna miss you when you go
Been down so long
I've been tossed around enough
Couldn't you just
Let me go down and do my stuff

I know you're hopin' to find
Someone who's gonna give you piece of mind
When times go bad
when times go rough
Won't you lay me down in tall grass
And let me do my stuff

I'm just second hand news
I'm just second hand news

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

So I guess we are now at the "rumors of the demise of Apple caused by rumors of new products that were rumored to be announced at WWDC to be rumored to not be announced" stage.

Ugh. Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

^this^

post #18 of 54

Who cares? AAPL up $11 :smokey:

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #19 of 54
CNET claims no hardware will be announced at WWDC. it will be all about software and mostly about OSX. Grr...I hope they're wrong.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

A passbook app for this would be kind of cool though. 

Passbook is exactly what this reminds me of. It was a huge letdown. I've used it, but it is hardly user-friendly, and didn't deliver the promise they hype anticipated. There's nothing wrong with the app per se, but the rumors made it seem like an out-of-the-box NFC replacement.

post #21 of 54
Quote:

CNET claims no hardware will be announced at WWDC. it will be all about software and mostly about OSX. Grr...I hope they're wrong.

I suspect this is accurate. It's a dev conference so there isn't necessarily any reason to unveil new hardware unless they want devs to get to work creating for new sizes/devices.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I suspect this is accurate. It's a dev conference so there isn't necessarily any reason to unveil new hardware unless they want devs to get to work creating for new sizes/devices.

I think HW has been announced at every WWDC.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's why I hope they're wrong as I think a lot of people will be disappointed if there is no hardware announced. The CNET reporter seemed like she was speculating more than having inside information.
post #24 of 54
Quote:

That's why I hope they're wrong as I think a lot of people will be disappointed if there is no hardware announced. The CNET reporter seemed like she was speculating more than having inside information.

I don't know how she worded it but if stated it an opinion that was backed up with some sort of reasoning or something she was told, and not as an unverifiable fact I'm fine with it. Unfortunately that doesn't happen as much as I'd like it to.

I did the run down for many years about a month ago but I forget the results. This was my source…

post #25 of 54
Quote:

You may be right. I don't have a chart on that information.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 54
Of course it won't live up to the hype! That's why most of these rumours are started, to make WWDC a let-down. Just like a well-timed iCloud security scare can take the shine off new product announcements.

Now, who really starts them I wonder.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #27 of 54

Apple, just update the Mac Mini and I'll turn my own damn lights off. 

post #28 of 54

AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.

So AppleInsider takes the time to speculate what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like and another publication decides to discard AppleInsider's speculation and AppleInsider chooses to discard its own speculation instead of standing by it. Way to go AppleInsider! Way to go!! Is it time for this Web site to just go away?

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.

So AppleInsider takes the time to speculate what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like and another publication decides to discard AppleInsider's speculation and AppleInsider chooses to discard its own speculation instead of standing by it. Way to go AppleInsider! Way to go!! Is it time for this Web site to just go away?

I posted a comment in that thread about how ridiculous and detrimental it is to speculate so much based in so little info. Looks like I'm probably right.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Isn't "hype" something generated by the seller? Apple hasn't even announced it let alone hyped it. You're conflating rumors with hype. Apple isn't responsible for rumors.

The New Oxford American Dictionary (Third Edition) seems to jibe with your definition of hype. It defines it as "extravagant publicity or promotion." That some party is doing the publicity or promotion is implied, but the identify of said party is not part of the definition. However, we can imply that "hype" is created by anyone who aggressively publicizes or promotes the rumor, and that someone isn't Apple. Maybe it's AppleInsider?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

"While disappointing".... says who?

I believe they mean, the rumor of the content of the rumor "while disappointing".   What I find funny is the ""Made for iPhone" certification program" for a smart home solution.  Why would a smart home solution only be a result of something "Made for iPhone"?  I think the rumor of the rumor of the rumor is that the smart home solution is the "internet of everything" solution that everyone is looking for.

See, I too can create a rumor of a rumor.  

post #32 of 54

Since I know no one knows what Apple has to announce yet, all this talk of not being what was expected is just that. FUD!

Writers should not write FUD when they have no facts to back it up with. Everyone should know by now that no one has access to unreleased products from Apple. So claiming that an unannounced product isn't good enough is FUD. Baseless, clueless, writing with no facts or means to know anything about it period. Let's just wait until Monday and let Tim Cook and company tell us what the real things they have in store for us.

post #33 of 54
And how this person knows? He hasn't seen it in person.
post #34 of 54
One thing I know for sure is Apple is not going to make crap products.
post #35 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah but every year some tech site says no hardware will be announced and then someone on AI always says "Makes sense, it's a DEV conference." I think we should officially name this cycle.
post #36 of 54

I think Kasper's Automated Slave must have failed its memory integrity check and is executing a code segment that is normally invoked for generating National Enquirer or The Onion articles.

I'd have no problem if this story was labeled properly and accurately, more like: "Apple may not actually be doing anything remotely close to a totally baseless rumor that we just pulled out of our ass." 

"More news and preemptive speculation of pending disappointment at 11...."

post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Yeah but every year some tech site says no hardware will be announced and then someone on AI always says "Makes sense, it's a DEV conference." I think we should officially name this cycle.

"The Dev Null Cycle"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
… It is possible that Apple may one day introduce universal control to the as-yet-unannounced platform, but the system debuting at WWDC next week will not include that advanced functionality.

Is Woz is back! Isn't the universal remote his dream project? ;)

post #39 of 54
Quote:

"The Dev Null Cycle"?

GoToFail, Rinse, Repeat?

post #40 of 54
Quote:

WWDC has been used as a platform for new products & product updates about half the time in the last 15 years.

Based on information SolipsismX dug up:

2013: New Mac Pro, new Time Capsule, new Airport Extreme
2012: Retina MBP, updated Air
2010: iPhone 4
2009: “the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS.”
2008: iPhone 3G
2006: original Mac Pro, and Xserve
2005: (announced Intel transition)
2003: first G5 PowerMac and external FW iSight camera
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's rumored smart home platform may not live up to hype, report says