or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft's smartwatch to be compatible with iOS and Android, may launch this summer

Microsoft's smartwatch to be compatible with iOS and Android, may launch this summer

post #1 of 38
Over one year after word of a Microsoft-built smartwatch first surfaced, a report on Thursday says the Redmond, Wash. company's offering will be compatible not only with its own Windows Phone, but also Apple's iOS and Google's Android.

iWatch

Citing people familiar with the matter, Forbes reports Microsoft's smartwatch will be able to sync with iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices out of the box. The wearable is supposedly packed with sensors, including optical components designed by the company's Xbox Kinect team to constantly measure a user's heart rate at all times.

The sources went on to say Microsoft's watch is similar in appearance to Samsung's Gear Fit and will feature a touchscreen display positioned on the inside of the wrist for ease of viewing and privacy. Current smartwatch and fitness tracker wearables use everything from dot matrix to OLED displays, but most are placed on top of the wrist like a traditional watch.

Rumors of a Microsoft smartwatch go back to 2013 when the software giant was allegedly testing 1.5-inch displays to be used in the device. At the time, a number of divisions were supposedly working on the project, including the Xbox accessories and Surface tablet teams. One rumor even claimed the final product would be made of "translucent aluminum."

Sources said a rollout date has not yet been set, but noted Microsoft could have a product ready for consumers as early as this summer.

Microsoft previously attempted to market a smartwatch as part of the now defunct Smart Personal Object Technology (SPOT) platform that died in 2008. With SPOT, brand name watchmaker partners like Suunto, Fossil and Swatch incorporated Microsoft software into specially designed products. The program was based on a $59 per year subscription service that sent weather, traffic and other relevant data to SPOT devices over FM radio broadcasts.

Apple is also widely rumored to be working on a wearable of its own dubbed the "iWatch," though hard evidence that the device exists has yet to turn up. Most recently, a report from Rosenblatt Securities analyst Brian Blair said the future Apple device would feature a round display much like Motorola's upcoming Moto 360 watch.
post #2 of 38
But does it run Office?
post #3 of 38

Microsoft has failed with smartphones. 

It has failed with tablets. 

It was failed with Windows 8. 

It has failed with its appstore. 

I predict this will be a massive success. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to wear a Microsoft branded watch? Just screams style. 

post #4 of 38
It'll probably be better than the Samsung Gear, but it's still difficult to imagine myself going back to any kind of watch at this point.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 38
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just screams style. 

Screams something.

Ooh! The default alarm tone is this!

post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screams something.

Ooh! The default alarm tone is this!

Maybe it'll be the Steve Ballmer Memorial Edition.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It'll probably be better than the Samsung Gear, but it's still difficult to imagine myself going back to any kind of watch at this point.

In most cases these days, a watch is a piece of jewelry.

That said, it's more of a indicator of a certain socio-economic class than ever before, much like shoes. 

It is completely unsurprising that many commenters in tech forums such as AppleInsider have no interest in wearing wristwatches or decent shoes.

That said, do what you want. 

If you're not going to wear a watch, you're probably making my social life easier.

:D

Edited by mpantone - 5/29/14 at 9:09pm
post #8 of 38

Who in their right mind would want a microsoft smart watch. DOA.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #9 of 38
Quote:

Maybe it'll be the Steve Ballmer Memorial Edition.

Featuring Clippy the LA Clipper's new mascot.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #10 of 38
Microsoft has been at the smartwatch game on and off for like two decades. Twenty years ago, they sold this data watch with Timex:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

It had a one-way optical wireless data link where you'd hold the watch to your CRT monitor and your PC would flash some lines on the screen and the watch would download your contact list, alarms, and calendar. That would seem quaint in the current era of BlueTooth and WiFi, but it was petty neat back in the Windows 3.1 era.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 38
Where is the ballmer bought the clippers news? There will be some serious humor in that thread.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #12 of 38
stopped reading at "kinect".

That thing is garbage.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Where is the ballmer bought the clippers news? There will be some serious humor in that thread.

Apparently the early reports of him buying the Clippers were premature. There are still numerous complications.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 38
Quote:

Apparently the early reports of him buying the Clippers were premature. There are still numerous complications.

I hope he gets the team. For the shear fact he'll have his own dedicated guywith the mop that wipes the sweat up off the floor during the games when a player falls.

And can you imagine the reaction after a bad call?

Please oh please oh please

post #15 of 38
Quote:

I hope he gets the team. For the shear fact he'll have his own dedicated guywith the mop that wipes the sweat up off the floor during the games when a player falls.

Actually, I hope he gets the team and does well. He was a weak leader at Microsoft, maybe owning this team is just what he needs.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 38
I just want him to rename them the Developers.
post #17 of 38
Microsoft can copy just as good as Samsuck.
post #18 of 38
Quote:

😆!!! That is the funniest thing I've heard all week!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 38
Quote:

No, no. I want Ballmer to keep the team name the Clippers.

However, I do want him to change the team mascot to "Clippy." That should strike fear into the hearts of their adversaries. (Or the opposing team players would be laughing so hard, they'd miss their free throws, commit a lot of "delay of game" penalties, fail to rebound.)

post #20 of 38
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

However, I do want him to change the team mascot to "Clippy."

Ooh. Tempting.

“It looks like you’re trying to shoot a layup. Would you like some help with that?”

post #21 of 38

Exactly.

post #22 of 38
The article says the Microsoft Smartwatch will be compatible with iOS. But how compatible?

Assuming Apple introduces Healthbook in iOS 8... will Microsoft be able to tap into that? Or will it just deliver notifications like a Pebble watch?

Maybe there will be a MFI certification for Healthbook compatible devices...
post #23 of 38
Quote:

You mean the same reaction that the 29 other owners give when they have bad calls against THEIR team? Smh 1rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 38

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

post #25 of 38

For the health and fitness crowd (runners, cyclists, swimmers, walkers hikers, etc.) who are using a GPS-enabled watch by Garmin, Polar, Timex, uploading the data to computer for later analysis, sharing maps, and so on is fairly important. Uploading the same data to your smartphone isn't really too helpful. Uploading to a tablet app might be a plus. I haven't figured out a way to get my Garmin data into my iPad, for example. So, it'll be interesting to see what Microsoft (and hopefully Apple) put into a smart watch.

If they intend to enter the health/fitness consumer market, they'll need a product that performs at least as well as what is already out there. You can get an entry-level Garmin GPS watch with heart rate monitor strap and a foot pod for around $200, which gives you a fairly accurate data set. Spending more money gets you more features, such as longer battery life, a more accurate altimeter, or better water sealing for use in swimming. Microsoft/Apple/Samsung aren't going to crack this market with a product that does less and doesn't do it as well.

Watches that just supplement a few features in your smartphone (i.e. mail previews, text messages), for another $200 or $300, don't do anything for me. That said, I'm impressed with how well the high end smartphone/map program (take your pick) replaces current OEM or third-party in-car GPS systems. I'm hoping to try out Apple's Carplay in one of the aftermarket products expected out later this year. That initiative gives me some confidence that if Apple does enter the smart watch market they'll have a product with some compelling features.

post #26 of 38
I mean, if the Gear wasn't successful, why would something largely similar be successful? You have to try something new at this point.
post #27 of 38
Any hardware out of MS is pretty much DOA. Anyone into fashion/health is going to get an iWatch or Rolex.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I mean, if the Gear wasn't successful, why would something largely similar be successful? You have to try something new at this point.
by making it compatible with everything from the start gives you a better chance of people buying it. There's no chance of an iPhone user getting a Samsung product or an android user getting an I watch if they don't communicate well with the primary connector eg the phone. If it's too much of a hassle then people will just not buy it.
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

by making it compatible with everything from the start gives you a better chance of people buying it. There's no chance of an iPhone user getting a Samsung product or an android user getting an I watch if they don't communicate well with the primary connector eg the phone. If it's too much of a hassle then people will just not buy it.

But people have to want something in the first place, before they consider how well it integrates.

post #30 of 38

I had one of the Timex Datalink watches. It sync'd by flashing bar codes on the PC screen that were interpreted by the watch. This sometimes worked and sometimes merely induced seizures in the wearer (just kidding). It was totally lame and embarrassingly cheap and dorky, but what young geek doesn't go for crap like that? It was affiliated with Microsoft so it absolutely HAD to be cool. 

Fast forward more than a few years and now we have handheld devices that are orders of magnitude more functional, powerful, and useful than both the PC that was flashing the bar codes to the watch, much less the "smart watch" itself. This grand convergence of power, performance, and portability has given us single device that we can carry around with us that supplants the PC and the watch and several other devices, not the least of which is a phone. So why do we want to bring the watch back into the picture? Is it the Dick Tracy thing? Even if we could get all of the capabilities of a smartphone (why do we still call these phones?) into a watch the form factor, ergonomics, and usability would be deal breakers unless we have some game changing improvements in the user interaction model, like holographic projected displays and error free natural language voice control.

Then there's the fiddle factor.

Decent watches today, say a Citizen EcoDrive, are totally hands off and maintenance free. Smartphones? Not so much. Constant updates, constant need for recharging, and endless tweaking and twiddling. Catering to the needs of your smartphone is like housebreaking a new puppy - endlessly.  Adding a "smart watch" to the mix that has all of the twiddling downsides of a smartphone makes my life easier? Really? Please explain that to me. You're just making yourself a slave to yet another device, another puppy that needs housebreaking, making your life even more complex, and taking yourself further away from the real world and human interaction. 

Tell me again why we want to add yet another peeing puppy to the mix?

post #31 of 38

but let's give MS a little bit of a break.  at least they are not entering the market 3-4 years too late.  

post #32 of 38
Can't wait to see Windows 8 on a 1.5" touch screen. Because of course everything can be a PC running windows, right?

I'm imagining a toothpick sized stylus and an origami folding keyboard.
post #33 of 38

About the "compatible with Windows Phone, IOS, and Android" part. You can say the same thing about any bluetooth speaker, headphones, headset, wifi storage device, and so on. Yeah, all of these things are technically compatible with any smartphone device. However, until you identify the specific context that the compatibility relationship entails then all statements about compatibility are totally meaningless or are assuming such a trivial level of interoperability to be very low value. For example, a smart watch could provide a simple wifi or bluetooth connector to replicate text and email messages from any device assuming a little helper app is installed on the device. A richer level of integration that hooked into deeper personal and contextual information that's specific to the device (say an iPhone contact list) would be harder to provide across all platforms. So it really comes down to the quality of the interoperability and compatibility and what compelling value it really adds. Adding low quality and low value compatibility and interoperability across multiple platforms is a pretty easy task, especially for Microsoft. That's their core strength. Apple's core strength is on the other end of the spectrum, single platform but with very high compatibility and interoperability across their own set of devices.

post #34 of 38
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post
Can't wait to see Windows 8 on a 1.5" touch screen.

That’s exactly what they’re going to do, isn’t it?

Not only that, they’ll keep the square tiles on the round watch face. :lol:

post #35 of 38
I cant see Microsoft releasing this thing. I don't doubt they've made it, they've been making watches for years. But there calling themselves software again and don't really want to be in hardware. Releasing a watch that even if it does well wont sell that much seems unlikely. The potential market is just to small fir a Microsoft product.
post #36 of 38
I'm looking forward to Microsoft's Smartwatch with 1.2" screen.

The first app for it will be...a 5,000 piece jigsaw. 😃
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 6/1/14 at 8:01am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #37 of 38
Quote:

Or rename them 'Five Hundred Dollars For An IPhone?'
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #38 of 38

I wanted to leave a sarcastic comment about how it's terrible and awful and an Apple ripoff (even though neither this watch nor the iWatch have been announced), but it looks like I was beat to it.

Also jeez you guys, it's not 2007 anymore, stop with the Ballmer and Office jokes and set your insults for Surface and Xbox.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft's smartwatch to be compatible with iOS and Android, may launch this summer