or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer outbids group including Laurene Powell Jobs for ownership of LA Clippers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Ballmer outbids group including Laurene Powell Jobs for ownership of LA Clippers

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
Team Microsoft bested Team Apple on a different kind of financial battlefield this week, as former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer is said to have outbid a group including Laurene Powell Jobs -- the widow of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs -- for the rights to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA.

Powell Jobs
Laurene Powell Jobs at the 2012 State of the Union address.


Powell Jobs teamed with entertainment moguls David Geffen and Oprah Winfrey as well as asset management firm Guggenheim Partners in a failed $1.6 billion bid for the team, according to the Wall Street Journal. That group was initially thought to have included Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, though his participation is now unclear.

Ballmer will pay some $2 billion for the franchise in a hasty sale arranged after the revelation of racist rantings by current Clippers owner Donald Sterling. Sterling has indicated that he may fight the sale, though the NBA has pledged to force him out one way or another.

It would have been Powell Jobs's first foray into sports ownership, though her family does have a strong -- albeit indirect -- connection to the NBA. Thanks to the 2006 sale of Pixar to Disney, Powell Jobs controls nearly 10 percent of The Walt Disney Company, which owns sports television powerhouse ESPN.

Powell Jobs has kept a relatively low profile since her husband's death, continuing the couple's tradition of quiet philanthropy. She is primarily known for her work on education initiatives, especially as the cofounder and chairman of College Track, an organization that helps prepare underprivileged students for college.
post #2 of 70

This sounds like the perfect role for someone with his skills and qualifications.

Just make sure the chairs are bolted to the floor in his box when the Clippers loose.

post #3 of 70
I hope he licenses Clippy to use as their new mascot.
post #4 of 70

Actually... when the Clippers lose, Ballmer will be on the loose.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #5 of 70

Cool! When Balmer goes on a racist rant we will have a video of the animated tirade complete with flailing arms, sweaty armpits and spittle. 

post #6 of 70
I wonder if Steve-O will rename the team to "Developers, Developers, Developers"
post #7 of 70

Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  

post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wonder if Steve-O will rename the team to "Developers, Developers, Developers"
Credit for this to TS. 1wink.gif




Wonder how wet his shirt was from sweating while waiting on confirmation...


Interviewer- "Lakers sign Labron James and Carmello Anthony- your take Mr. ballmer"
Ballmer- *laughter*

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #9 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Reading, music listening, and any hobby accomplishes the very same thing. People have been watching humans compete against one another since the beginning of time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #10 of 70
Players! Players! Players!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 70
This is newsworthy?
post #12 of 70
What are the odds he'll try and move the Clippers to Seattle his first year?
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

What are the odds he'll try and move the Clippers to Seattle his first year?

I think that one of the tenants of the agreement is that he won't be allowed to move the team to Seattle, at least not for a while.

post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

This is newsworthy?

Yes.

post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

What are the odds he'll try and move the Clippers to Seattle his first year?

Seattle doesn't have a modern arena yet (Key Arena isn't modern). Also, what are the lease terms for the Staples Center. Any move would require NBA approval.
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes.
Other than a one-word non-reply, why don't you try explaining how the buying of a sports team is newsworthy huh? So Ballmer buys a team big deal. Other than Steve Jobs's widow how is this even remotely related to Apple or Apple news?
post #17 of 70

This is the perfect move -- it simultaneously increases the average intelligence of NBA owners and technology company CEOs. 

post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Other than Steve Jobs's widow how is this even remotely related to Apple or Apple news?

Why isn't that good enough?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Credit for this to TS. 1wink.gif

Blast! I just read his post in the other thread!
post #20 of 70
At last, something the screaming ape might actually be good at.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Reading, music listening, and any hobby accomplishes the very same thing. People have been watching humans compete against one another since the beginning of time.

 

Sports in today's media gets focus and attention disproportionate to its importance in our world. I recommend you and other readers 'distract' yourselves by reading Brian Tuohy's book, "The Fix Is In". You can also find much of his writing at: thefixisin.net. 

post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post
 

This sounds like the perfect role for someone with his skills and qualifications.

Just make sure the chairs are bolted to the floor in his box when the Clippers loose.

 

You don't think it will confuse the players when he tells them to just skate to wherever the puck is?

post #23 of 70

The Clippers need to get their own home court. Another 100 million is just a rounding error.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 70

The new NBA basketball team name:  Los Angeles Clippys

post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post
 

 

Sports in today's media gets focus and attention disproportionate to its importance in our world. I recommend you and other readers 'distract' yourselves by reading Brian Tuohy's book, "The Fix Is In". You can also find much of his writing at: thefixisin.net. 

 

It's a shame that humans cannot concentrate on more than one thing in their lives. /s

 

You know what else distracts people? Internet rumor sites.

post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post
 

Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  

Yes, and thank God for them.

post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Other than a one-word non-reply, why don't you try explaining how the buying of a sports team is newsworthy huh? So Ballmer buys a team big deal. Other than Steve Jobs's widow how is this even remotely related to Apple or Apple news?

 

I actually wanted to see what people here would say about it, so I'm glad it's here.


Why are you reading it? It's not like this is a TV channel and you are watching a program dedicated to Apple News and they are forcing you to watch it in order to get to the next story. You are in control of what you click.

 

Plus, it is in "general discussion", which it is.

post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post
 

Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  

People who don't want to know what's going on in the world, for whatever reasons, don't need sports to distract them.   They can use anything else to distract them, whether it's movies, TV, books, music, cooking, religion, clubbing, dancing, fashion, Facebook, using Twitter, video games, coding, whatever.   If one wants to know about the world, one will, regardless of other interests that they may have.   The implication of your statement is that if we didn't have sports, we'd all know what's going on in the world.  That's incredibly naive.  

 

Having said that, I've never understood the obsession with professional sports we have in this country, to the extent where every TV news broadcast as well as the New York Times and most other newspapers feel the need to report on every single professional sports score every single day.    They'll drop stories, especially detailed stories, about Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, racism, starvation, the environment, medical care, etc., but they'll never drop a story about the night's games.   

 

And I've never understood the obsession of grown men who need to wear the uniform of their favorite player (and overpaying for the privilege) just in order to toss a ball around in the park.   

 

Decades ago, going to the ballpark was something that almost everyone could afford.   When I was a kid in the 1960s, the bleachers at Yankee Stadium cost 75 cents and the upper grandstand cost $1.35 (about $5.80 and $10.50, respectively, in 2014 dollars).   But today, you take a family to the ballpark and it can easily cost $300-$500.   And those are ballparks that in many cases, were funded by taxpayers.    My broker took me to a Knicks game a few years ago.  We sat court side and the price on the ticket was something like $500 (he was given the tickets by a season ticket-holder).   Yet the Dolans, who own the Knicks and the Garden, don't pay New York City anything in taxes for use of the Garden.    We really are suckers. 

 

But if Ballmer wants to buy the team with his own money, that's fine.    It could be fun watching Ballmer freak out in the stands.   100 years ago, the super-rich funded universities, museums, libraries and opera houses.   Today they buy sports teams.   Maybe Darwin was wrong. 

post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

People who don't want to know what's going on in the world, for whatever reasons, don't need sports to distract them.   They can use anything else to distract them, whether it's movies, TV, books, music, cooking, religion, clubbing, dancing, fashion, Facebook, using Twitter, video games, coding, whatever.   If one wants to know about the world, one will, regardless of other interests that they may have.   The implication of your statement is that if we didn't have sports, we'd all know what's going on in the world.  That's incredibly naive.  

 

Having said that, I've never understood the obsession with professional sports we have in this country, to the extent where every TV news broadcast as well as the New York Times and most other newspapers feel the need to report on every single professional sports score every single day.    They'll drop stories, especially detailed stories, about Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, racism, starvation, the environment, medical care, etc., but they'll never drop a story about the night's games.   

 

And I've never understood the obsession of grown men who need to wear the uniform of their favorite player (and overpaying for the privilege) just in order to toss a ball around in the park.   

 

Decades ago, going to the ballpark was something that almost everyone could afford.   When I was a kid in the 1960s, the bleachers at Yankee Stadium cost 75 cents and the upper grandstand cost $1.35 (about $5.80 and $10.50, respectively, in 2014 dollars).   But today, you take a family to the ballpark and it can easily cost $300-$500.   And those are ballparks that in many cases, were funded by taxpayers.    My broker took me to a Knicks game a few years ago.  We sat court side and the price on the ticket was something like $500 (he was given the tickets by a season ticket-holder).   Yet the Dolans, who own the Knicks and the Garden, don't pay New York City anything in taxes for use of the Garden.    We really are suckers. 

 

But if Ballmer wants to buy the team with his own money, that's fine.    It could be fun watching Ballmer freak out in the stands.   100 years ago, the super-rich funded universities, museums, libraries and opera houses.   Today they buy sports teams.   Maybe Darwin was wrong. 

 

I agree with what you wrote, except for your first paragraph. 

post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

 

Sports in today's media gets focus and attention disproportionate to its importance in our world. I recommend you and other readers 'distract' yourselves by reading Brian Tuohy's book, "The Fix Is In". You can also find much of his writing at: thefixisin.net. 

 

Who cares? People have the capacity to choose what they pay attention to. I've never understood those who blame "the media" for social issues, especially in the age of democratized thought we live in now thanks to the internet. 

post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post
 

 

Who cares? People have the capacity to choose what they pay attention to. I've never understood those who blame "the media" for social issues, especially in the age of democratized thought we live in now thanks to the internet. 

 

I care, because though you may not get your news from the media, many people all over the world still do. The media continues to exert great power to direct and control what constitutes "news", no matter whether or not you and I pay attention to it. That affects us all. 

post #32 of 70

I find the whole Clipper thing very interesting...

 

A white guy says something in the privacy of you own home. Have it covertly recorded. And even though he has never openly done anything racist to the players he gets banned for life from basketball.

 

A black guy rapes a white girl. Buys her off to not testify against him. And gets a Nike sponsorship and all kinds of paid endorsements.

 

Go figure...

post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

The Clippers need to get their own home court. Another 100 million is just a rounding error.

I'm sorry, your $100 million estimate for a new arena is laughable.

 

The Brooklyn Nets' new arena was $1 billion; the Orlando Magic's new arena was $480 million. The Golden State Warriors just picked up property in SF at $180 million, with at least another $500 million roughly estimated for the construction, totaling close to $700 million (I bet it ends up being closer to $900 million).

 

A hundred million isn't going to buy squat in Seattle.

 

If Ballmer wants to bring the team to Seattle, he probably needs to earmark $700 million and build the arena on privately-owned land without asking for significant taxpayer help if he doesn't want to wait years and years.


Edited by mpantone - 5/30/14 at 9:14am
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Other than a one-word non-reply, why don't you try explaining how the buying of a sports team is newsworthy huh? So Ballmer buys a team big deal. Other than Steve Jobs's widow how is this even remotely related to Apple or Apple news?

What do you want- another reason why Apply bought Beats so we can have 300 comments on if its a good deal or not?

Or how about another rumor about the iPhone 6 that will make it 4 comments before an argument ensues on the naming convention.

 

At least this is funny

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post
 

 

I agree with what you wrote, except for your first paragraph. 

Only because it disagreed with you... people like you are as close minded as they get.

 

Please educated us- what about his statement is wrong?

Quote:
 People who don't want to know what's going on in the world, for whatever reasons, don't need sports to distract them.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

I'm sorry, your $100 million estimate for a new arena is laughable.

 

The Brooklyn Nets' new arena is $1 billion; the Orlando Magic's new arena is $480 million. The Golden State Warriors just picked up land in SF at $180 million, with at least another $500 million roughly estimated for the construction, totaling close to $700 million (I bet it ends up being closer to $900 million).

 

A hundred million isn't going to buy squat in Seattle.

 

If Ballmer wants to bring the team to Seattle, he probably needs to earmark $700 million and build the arena on privately-owned land without asking for significant taxpayer help if he doesn't want to wait years and years.

 

$100 million buys you an ice arena for a junior hockey team in a small city.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Sports in today's media gets focus and attention disproportionate to its importance in our world. I recommend you and other readers 'distract' yourselves by reading Brian Tuohy's book, "The Fix Is In". You can also find much of his writing at: thefixisin.net. 

So does tech.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

People who don't want to know what's going on in the world, for whatever reasons, don't need sports to distract them.   They can use anything else to distract them, whether it's movies, TV, books, music, cooking, religion, clubbing, dancing, fashion, Facebook, using Twitter, video games, coding, whatever.   If one wants to know about the world, one will, regardless of other interests that they may have.   The implication of your statement is that if we didn't have sports, we'd all know what's going on in the world.  That's incredibly naive.  

 

Having said that, I've never understood the obsession with professional sports we have in this country, to the extent where every TV news broadcast as well as the New York Times and most other newspapers feel the need to report on every single professional sports score every single day.    They'll drop stories, especially detailed stories, about Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, racism, starvation, the environment, medical care, etc., but they'll never drop a story about the night's games.   

 

And I've never understood the obsession of grown men who need to wear the uniform of their favorite player (and overpaying for the privilege) just in order to toss a ball around in the park.   

 

Decades ago, going to the ballpark was something that almost everyone could afford.   When I was a kid in the 1960s, the bleachers at Yankee Stadium cost 75 cents and the upper grandstand cost $1.35 (about $5.80 and $10.50, respectively, in 2014 dollars).   But today, you take a family to the ballpark and it can easily cost $300-$500.   And those are ballparks that in many cases, were funded by taxpayers.    My broker took me to a Knicks game a few years ago.  We sat court side and the price on the ticket was something like $500 (he was given the tickets by a season ticket-holder).   Yet the Dolans, who own the Knicks and the Garden, don't pay New York City anything in taxes for use of the Garden.    We really are suckers. 

 

But if Ballmer wants to buy the team with his own money, that's fine.    It could be fun watching Ballmer freak out in the stands.   100 years ago, the super-rich funded universities, museums, libraries and opera houses.   Today they buy sports teams.   Maybe Darwin was wrong. 

Professional sports are the number one source of entertainment we have in this country, so I can see why there is a huge obsession for them. Sports brings people together. For example, after 9/11, the Yankees in the World Series brought New Yorkers together. It gave people hours to get their minds of losing loved ones in the attacks. The World Series gave people a morale boost. It's the same as with soccer for war torn countries. People stop fighting and come together to watch their national team. Sports will always be an obsession here in this country and around the world. 

 

I agree there are bigger stories that aren't published, but sports sells newspapers. The minute they stop covering sports, they have no readers. Same as with TV. As for prices, they are becoming outrageous. Problem is, people are willing to pay that much. Sports have turned people into suckers, especially for funding these new stadiums at our expense. An NFL stadium can have zero attendance the whole season and the team will still be making a ton of money. Baseball still has affordable tickets. Just about every team has family night discounts. 

post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

 

I care, because though you may not get your news from the media, many people all over the world still do. The media continues to exert great power to direct and control what constitutes "news", no matter whether or not you and I pay attention to it. That affects us all. 

 

The issue is education, not "the media." Our energy should be spent on teaching people to think critically and independently and draw their own conclusions -- that's the real fight. Blame "the media" all you want, but they are merely taking advantage of the situation, they didn't create it.

post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Professional sports are the number one source of entertainment we have in this country…

What about porn?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer outbids group including Laurene Powell Jobs for ownership of LA Clippers