or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue

iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue

post #1 of 88
Apple looks set to continue the OS X Mavericks surf motif in iOS 8, as banners for the company's next-generation mobile operating system have started to appear at San Francisco's Moscone Center with an aquatic background.

The banner features a simple, white "8" overlaid on a backdrop of turgid blue water. Business Insider's Jay Yarow was first to tweet a photo of the banner.

Industry insiders and Apple watchers widely believe the company will include a number of new health-focused features in iOS 8, including a new "Healthbook" app that would act as a central repository for health and fitness data collected from third-party products such as Nike's FuelBand. Shazam-powered song recognition in Siri and public transit support in Maps are also thought to be on the docket.

The presence of the banner seems to confirm that Apple will indeed unveil iOS 8 during next week's Worldwide Developers Conference. AppleInsider will be on hand with live coverage when Apple chief Tim Cook takes the stage on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern and will continue our reporting from the conference throughout the week.
post #2 of 88

"You back off and take your camera with you"

They will finally announce their highly anticipated Carplay spin-off, "Boatplay". My wallet is ready!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 88
"The presence of the banner seems to confirm that Apple will indeed unveil iOS 8 during next week's Worldwide Developers Conference."

-Was this really something that anyone was unsure about?
post #4 of 88

I wonder if the 8 will be presented on it's side when installed on older phones. Math nerds will get it.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #5 of 88
Nice of Louis CK to help out with the banner.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #6 of 88
Maybe it just means there are 8 new features in the new OS. Or it's an iPhone with an 8 inch screen! Or a tip-off for Samsung! Hey guys, turgid is the new style!
post #7 of 88
Probably the aquatic theme means that Apple has learned the error of its ways with flatness and is changing OS X and iOS to aqua style UI.
post #8 of 88
While one can use "turgid" in this sense, it's not exactly a pretty word.
post #9 of 88
So iOS 8 as well as OS X 10.10. It seems they are maintaining the aggressive pace of 1 OS update a year. Quite impressive actually. Leaves Microsoft in the dust.
post #10 of 88
Quote:
The banner features a simple, white "8" overlaid on a backdrop of turgid blue water. 

Turgid?

edit: Okay, WelshDog beat me by a few seconds in noting this strange usage.  :)

post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Probably the aquatic theme means that Apple has learned the error of its ways with flatness and is changing OS X and iOS to aqua style UI.
Nah. Last year OSX banner had a white X with a blue-green wave background. My guess is this year the OSX banner will be the opposite of iOS as it's getting a redesign.
post #12 of 88
It's not an "8" but the outlines of two new Mac Minis!
post #13 of 88
I'm curious if the Mac OS 10.10 will be Xx (with the x superscripted like X to the power of x)?
post #14 of 88

After many people last year thought they could make their iPhone waterproof by upgrading to iOS 7, Apple finally gives them what they want and makes iOS 8 waterproof.

post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's not an "8" but the outlines of two new Mac Minis!

One could dream… (yep… still waiting to hand over my cash for the Haswell MacMini) *sigh*

post #16 of 88
Quote:

lol.  trying to imagine iOS looking like Panther

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #17 of 88
1401474592-8-.jpg
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

I'm curious if the Mac OS 10.10 will be Xx (with the x superscripted like X to the power of x)?

It Can't be X.x it would be X.I because you don't add a 0 after the decim..... :p 

Edited by Andysol - 5/30/14 at 12:04pm

post #19 of 88
"I wonder if the 8 will be presented on it's side when installed on older phones. Math nerds will get it."

It's the infinity release! Guess I'm a nerd.
post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Guess I'm a nerd.

Anyone on this forum claiming otherwise is simply lying to themselves

post #21 of 88
10eot41.jpg

140hvfk.jpg

2nb99oo.jpg

acs741.jpg

Bo5_MDwCMAA-IBL.jpg

DSCF8345_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSCF8258_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSCF8330_verge_super_wide.jpg
Edited by Rogifan - 5/30/14 at 12:35pm
post #22 of 88

Looks like they wanted to build a snowman

post #23 of 88

The shot of sunlight through the water reminds me of Jaws :)

Could it be a hint as to the next codename? Is there a famous diving/snorkelling place in California?

post #24 of 88
I hear they're going to release this 3.5 inch thingy with a female voice assistant called Siri. Oh wait, I'm in the wrong year. LOL

Man I gotta catch up with the times....
post #25 of 88

Did apple create their own even thinner font? New alternate glyphs for over kerned Ws.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The shot of sunlight through the water reminds me of Jaws :)

Could it be a hint as to the next codename? Is there a famous diving/snorkelling place in California?

Crystal Cove

post #27 of 88

Crystal Cove is a good SoCal spot, Monastery Beach is considered a pretty good dive spot in the Monterey area. Don't know much about dive spots north of SF.

I'm amused that Apple used a blue-green wave for OS X 10.9 Mavericks. The water is rarely aquamarine blue around here, usually it is steel grey. It looks -- and often feels -- like a rapidly moving wall of wet cement.

Good marketing on Apple's part! :D 

Actually, there are places in a California where the water would look blue like the banner, but they are mostly lakes, however those lakes don't have such a turbulent surface.

Edited by mpantone - 5/30/14 at 3:12pm
post #28 of 88
"turgid" or "turbid" blue water?
post #29 of 88
OSX Point Reyes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 88
It looks like it's upside down! Shouldn't it be water on the bottom, sky on top?
post #31 of 88
Quote:

If they move back to the old Mac OS X or iOS look I may consider another system, but I doubt that will happen as I have faith Apple will continue perfecting this brilliant design they started with iOS 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So iOS 8 as well as OS X 10.10. It seems they are maintaining the aggressive pace of 1 OS update a year. Quite impressive actually. Leaves Microsoft in the dust.

It's aggressive in that sense but these updates are also smaller than we've seen in the past. I have to think they are doing a tick-tock method by focusing on underpinning one year and UI the next so if that remains true we'll see Mac OS X get a new look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Crystal Cove
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Crystal Cove is a good SoCal spot, Monastery Beach is considered a pretty good dive spot in the Monterey area. Don't know much about dive spots north of SF.

I'm amused that Apple used a blue-green wave for OS X 10.9 Mavericks. The water is rarely aquamarine blue around here, usually it is steel grey. It looks -- and often feels -- like a rapidly moving wall of wet cement.

Good marketing on Apple's part! 1biggrin.gif  

Are those inspirational places, which I think are the only stated qualification outside of being in CA? Mavericks is the wave itself, right, so are those official names like Pfeiffer Beach which I think is a state park, or some locally named place that isn't exactly official? I'd like for them to continue using places that you won't find in a AAA map of CA.

PS: Thanks for all the pics, @Rogifan.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #32 of 88
I see a snowman... and he's melting.
post #33 of 88

My guess is a unification of programming apps to run across iOS and OS X.  Thus, the water surf theme of OS X with the new iOS version number. This isn't OS X turning into iOS but rather a way to write one app to be used across all Apple Devices, and maybe non-Apple devices via a browser. Think of Apple productivity apps and how functionality was different from OS X and iOS and how that was all unified last year. What if they now developed tools and Both OS's so that you can easily create apps that do the same. 

post #34 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

"turgid" or "turbid" blue water?

Neither makes any sense.  What was the author thinking?

1. swollen and distended; congested

(of style or language) pompous and high-flown; bombastic

1. not clear or transparent because of stirred-up sediment or the like; clouded; opaque; obscured: the turbid waters near the waterfall.

2. thick or dense, as smoke or clouds.
3. confused; muddled; disturbed.

Unless it's a pun poking fun at the pompous language of the sentence itself.

post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Neither makes any sense.  What was the author thinking?

1. swollen and distended; congested

(of style or language) pompous and high-flown; bombastic

1. not clear or transparent because of stirred-up sediment or the like; clouded; opaque; obscured: the turbid waters near the waterfall.

2. thick or dense, as smoke or clouds.
3. confused; muddled; disturbed.

Unless it's a pun poking fun at the pompous language of the sentence itself.

At least "turbid" has to do with water: 

tur·bid
ˈtərbid/
adjective

(of a liquid) cloudy, opaque, or thick with suspended matter.

post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

My guess is a unification of programming apps to run across iOS and OS X.  Thus, the water surf theme of OS X with the new iOS version number. This isn't OS X turning into iOS but rather a way to write one app to be used across all Apple Devices, and maybe non-Apple devices via a browser. Think of Apple productivity apps and how functionality was different from OS X and iOS and how that was all unified last year. What if they now developed tools and Both OS's so that you can easily create apps that do the same. 

If Apple specifically made a new UI and for the iPad's version of iOS instead of literally making a larger iPhone OS then I don't think you'll see a unification of Mac OS and iOS apps. I could see them merging even more underlying elements to make it easier for developers which could help attract more Mac buyers but there is no reason to think there all be unified apps. You can look at the MS Surface to see how that isn't exactly a winning formula. I think Cook has even made statements about making the best OS for a particular UI instead of making an "all compromise" solution.

post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are those inspirational places, which I think are the only stated qualification outside of being in CA? Mavericks is the wave itself, right, so are those official names like Pfeiffer Beach which I think is a state park, or some locally named place that isn't exactly official? I'd like for them to continue using places that you won't find in a AAA map of CA.

Actually, Mavericks shows up on Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Yahoo Maps.

On Google Maps, Mavericks is marked in a place inaccessible to walkers, and deadly to surfers, right by Sail Rock. Unfortunately, Google chose to use satellite imagery when the ocean was glassy, nothing outwardly indicates how hazardous that location really is. Mavericks should not be to the right of Sail Rock, it is to the lower left (southwest).

On Yahoo Maps, the Mavericks Beach is incorrectly placed within the Pillar Point harbor ocean break; the cliff bluff obscures the view of the surf break. If you turn on satellite imagery, you can actually see surfers and PWCs where the surf breaks. Here one can see the turbulently fatal water around Sail Rock and the spot that Google incorrectly marks as "Mavericks." 

On Apple Maps, there's a wave icon where "Mavericks" is. It is a reasonable location for a walker to view the actual surf break from shore. Apple is using the same overhead imagery as Yahoo Maps, again one can see the lineup and the tow-in/water rescue craft.

Edited by mpantone - 5/30/14 at 2:15pm
post #38 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

What a horrible idea! :-)
post #39 of 88
Looks like Mac OS X, not XI, will get a demo and beta again this year.

Is that El Capitan in Yosemite National Park? I guess El Capitan, Yosemite or Sierras would all be viable names. I'm hoping it's El Capitan as opposed to using the National Park name.

post #40 of 88
Still with the too-thin fonts, then...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue