or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

post #1 of 78
Trademark filings discovered in Trinidad and Tobago, a popular place for Apple to secretly file future naming assets, show the company's next OS X 10.10 operating system may be named OS X Sequoia, OS X Mojave, OS X Sonoma, and OS X Ventura. A WWDC banner highlighting the famous El Capitan monolith, however, points to "OS X Yosemite."

WWDC 2014 OS X banner showing El Capitan in California's Yosemite Valley. | Source: The Verge

The trademark filings were officially lodged with Trinidad and Tobago's Intellectual Property Office on Mar. 11 and cover the names "OS X Sequoia," "OS X Mojave," "OS X Sonoma," and "OS X Ventura," each of which is a well-known city or geographic feature in California. Apple is not specifically mentioned in the official documents' text, first spotted by MacRumors, though the company is thought to be behind the filings.

Interestingly, the Trinidad and Tobago marks also mention two cities by name -- Sonoma and Ventura -- instead of a geographic region or attraction like Mavericks. It is possible that Apple may move to a city-based naming convention much like those used by other tech companies as code names for working projects.

A picture posted by The Verge, seen above, shows a banner going up for Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference that appears to boast a cloud-topped view of El Capitan in Yosemite Valley. A single trademark for "Yosemite" was also discovered in the offshore filings, though the date on that property doesn't match with the "OS X" marks.

Still, with El Capitan featured so prominently, it can be speculated that Apple may opt for "OS X 10.10 Yosemite." The filed trademarks may have been a smokescreen to distract away from the real name.
post #2 of 78
LOL at Ventura. Though it is a good symbol of California: farmland being replaced by condos.
post #3 of 78

Sonoma Valley is a geographic region. Lots of old vineyards.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Sonoma Valley is a geographic region.

As well as a city and county, so it could go either way.

post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

As well as a city, and county.

It is, but the article assumes "Sonoma" is named after a city, when it would make more sense that it's actually named after the famous valley where a lot of California's original vineyards and wineries were started.

post #6 of 78

"OS X Silicon" ?

If there going to do valleys..... like Sonoma and Yosemite.

post #7 of 78
Yosemite. That's awesome. I was there last week and they should name every Apple product after a feature there.

Half Dome
Glacier Point
Happy Isles
Ahwanee
Bathroom near Curry Village where I banged my GF
Tuolomne Meadows
post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It is, but the article assumes "Sonoma" is named after a city, when it would make more sense that it's actually named after the famous valley where a lot of California's original vineyards and wineries were started.

Regardless of which of these etymologies is correct, if any, the term referred to the valley well before the city and county were formed.

The phrase "Valley of the Moon" was first recorded in an 1850 report by General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo to the California Legislature.

According to Jack London, who had a ranch there, the Native American word Sonoma means "valley of the moon." He used it for his book of the same name. But there are several other possible translations for Sonoma. According to the Miwok tribes that lived in the valley, and the Pomo, it meant "valley of the moon" or "many moons". White settlers may have accidentally translated the words "many moons" into "valley of moons". Miwok legends say that the moon seemingly rose from this valley, or was "nestled" in the valley, or may have even sprung up multiple times in one night.

In the native languages there is also a constantly recurring ending tso-noma, from tso, the earth; and noma, village; hence tsonoma, "earth village."Other sources say Sonoma comes from the Patwin tribes west of the Sacramento River, and their Wintu word for "nose". Per California Place Names, "the name is doubtless derived from a Patwin word for 'nose', which Padre Arroyo (Vocabularies, p. 22) gives as sonom (Suisun)."

Spaniards may have found an Indian chief with a prominent protuberance and applied the nickname of Chief Nose to the village and the territory. The name may have applied originally to a nose-shaped geographic feature.

Look at that, even a banner can lead to learning about things we otherwise may have never discussed.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #9 of 78

If Apple were naming the next version of OS X after places in New Mexico, we could be using OS X Truth or Consequences, just rolls right off the tongue.

post #10 of 78
Ace! Ventura.
post #11 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

If Apple were naming the next version of OS X after places in New Mexico, we could be using OS X Truth or Consequences, just rolls right off the tongue.

There is a California town called Weed, mentioned in John Steinbeck's classic "Of Mice and Men" as the place the two protagonists were fleeing from.

Of course, weed has picked up some other colloquial meanings along the way.

OS X Weed. Could be quite inspirational, if not particularly motivating. ;) :smokey: :D 

post #12 of 78
Can't wait for OS X Compton.
post #13 of 78
Great national parks would make a good naming convention now that great cat names are almost exhausted. But I hope they'll include parks outside California. Nothing on the planet comes close to Yellowstone.
post #14 of 78

Good luck to anyone who wants to bitch about OSX10.10

post #15 of 78
Yosemite ws the first powerMac G4, wasn't it?

I'll wait for OSX Sawtooth.
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Great national parks would make a good naming convention now that great cat names are almost exhausted. But I hope they'll include parks outside California. Nothing on the planet comes close to Yellowstone.

Apple is a California company, that's why they choosing the name of inspirational California places.

Perhaps some Wyoming electronics company can use Yellowstone as a marketing name.

Don't hold your breath if you're waiting for Apple to run out of inspirational California names.

They still need to release:

OS X Devil's Postpile

OS X Badwater Basin

OS X Donner Pass

OS X Death Valley

amongst others... :) 

Edited by mpantone - 5/30/14 at 3:18pm
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Yosemite ws the first powerMac G4, wasn't it?

post #18 of 78
If we can rashly speculate that 10.10 will be the last version of OS X before OS XI rears its head - so the end of the road - then the town of ZZYZX in San Bernardino County is the only possible name for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Can't wait for OS X Compton.

Yes, Ventura is also a county.

Other nice California names:

Zzyzx

Cucamonga

Paradise

Quote:
Trinidad and Tobago, a popular place for Apple to secretly file future naming assets, show the company's next OS X 10.10 operating system may....

Popular?  Something not quite right with that phrasing...

That's like saying Cupertino is a popular place for Apple Headquarters.

post #20 of 78
Geez, "El Capitan" for OS X and water for iOS 8... Tomorrow Munster will tell us that Apple's new hardware will be yachts, and Kuo will make a case for budget yachts to cater to developing markets.
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Yes, Ventura is also a county.

Other nice California names:
Zzyzx
Cucamonga
Paradise

Popular?  Something not quite right with that phrasing...
That's like saying Cupertino is a popular place for Apple Headquarters.

I was going to post about Zzyzx earlier but decided against it. Interesting etymology and a nifty trivia fact if you look up the movie Zzyzx Road.

post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Geez, "El Capitan" for OS X and water for iOS 8... Tomorrow Munster will tell us that Apple's new hardware will be yachts, and Kuo will make a case for budget yachts to cater to developing markets.

Water?

Uh oh: then given the California drought, the ever popular "supply constraints" will rear it's ugly head tanking the stock!

post #23 of 78
Is nothing sacred?
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Is nothing sacred?

Universally? No.

post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Is nothing sacred?

Every sperm is sacred, but I believe it was Monty Python who claimed that, so the legitimacy is questionable at best.

But SolipsismX is on the right track.

post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Every sperm is sacred...

If every sperm is sacred does that make socks a shrine?

post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

There is a California town called Weed, mentioned in John Steinbeck's classic "Of Mice and Men" as the place the two protagonists were fleeing from.

Of course, weed has picked up some other colloquial meanings along the way.

OS X Weed. Could be quite inspirational, if not particularly motivating. ;) :smokey: :D 

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdknox View Post

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

Here's a photo of Mt. Shasta that I took from Weed. http://macdesktops.com/index.phtml?Picture=3367&res=TRUE

post #29 of 78
OS XI Cupertino
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Bathroom near Curry Village where I banged my GF

It was worth clicking into this thread just for that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #31 of 78
It is worth noting that it is Yosemite's 150th Anniversary this year.
It was also one of Steve and Lorraine Job's favorite getaway spots. I believe they were married there.
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

OS XI Cupertino

Clearly, you have never been to Cupertino if you think the place is inspirational.

:D 

post #33 of 78

Just asking...

I presume Apple could not trademark "Yosemite?

But it is ok to trademark "OS X Yosemite"?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Just asking...
I presume Apple could not trademark "Yosemite?
But it is ok to trademark "OS X Yosemite"?

If this is accurate it doesn't look like they've only been trademarking Mac, OS X, and Mac OS X, not any of their code/marketing names.

post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I like OS X El Capitan

iOS will support YachtPlay

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 78
El Capitan is consistent with Mavericks in that is is a California place of interest that is a challenge for thrill-seeking sportsmen and women.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #37 of 78
Sequoia is what I was rooting for. Failing that, Big Sur.

That's presuming that 10.10 doesn't become 11, so as not to cause confusion with 10.1 (Puma). 😀😀
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #38 of 78
Most of those are automotive names as well... you'd think they'd go for something new. The problem with Yosemite is people say it "Yos-might" if they don't know the work.

Must be hard to come up with a global name that hasn't been used 100 times. Are they going with landmarks? Surfing hangouts? I would think national parks might have restrictions on using their names as well...
post #39 of 78
OS XXX DREad
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If this is accurate it doesn't look like they've only been trademarking Mac, OS X, and Mac OS X, not any of their code/marketing names.

Thanks! Interesting and they do have cities in there for fonts. Shhhh... Before some wise cracking lawyer gets an unoriginal idea to sue. 1smile.gif. Or perhaps they got a special agreement like they did for that Swiss train clock. That said, IMO it would be nice if Apple would promote these locations with say a dollar sent in the name of some fund representing these areas like the Yosemite conservatory fund for every Mac sold. Granted, the free advertising is worth a bundle too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme