or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If this is accurate it doesn't look like they've only been trademarking Mac, OS X, and Mac OS X, not any of their code/marketing names.

Thanks! Interesting and they do have cities in there for fonts. Shhhh... Before some wise cracking lawyer gets an unoriginal idea to sue. 1smile.gif. Or perhaps they got a special agreement like they did for that Swiss train clock. That said, IMO it would be nice if Apple would promote these locations with say a dollar sent in the name of some fund representing these areas like the Yosemite conservatory fund for every Mac sold.

How do you pronoune Yosemite? I presume it's Yo! sa might.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Must be hard to come up with a global name that hasn't been used 100 times. Are they going with landmarks? Surfing hangouts? I would think national parks might have restrictions on using their names as well...

At the keynote featuring the OS X 10.9 Mavericks unveiling, the Apple senior brass claimed that OS X releases would hereto forth be named after inspirational California places as Apple is a California company.

This narrows the name pool considerably, although there are enough locations within the state to support annual naming until long after I have departed from this planet.

Clearly, when Apple selected Mavericks as the first name of this new scheme, they did not go with what was most well-known on a worldwide basis.

Edited by mpantone - 5/30/14 at 5:22pm
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yosemite is pronounced

yo-SE-mi-tee 
yo - rhymes with SO, NO 
se - pronounced as SET without 'T' 
mi - pronounced as MISS without 'SS' 
tee - rhymes with SEE

It is an American Indian name for the location.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Yosemite is pronounced yo-SE-mea-tea

Thanks! Just to clarify for my dull brain: is that mayor(as in mea culpa)-tee or me-tee?
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Yosemite is pronounced
yo-SE-mi-tee 

yo - rhymes with SO, NO 

se - pronounced as SET without 'T' 

mi - pronounced as MISS without 'SS' 

tee - rhymes with SEE

Ah, got it, thanks! Bit like committee.
post #46 of 78
Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous. They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.
post #47 of 78
Quote:

Just go to YouTube, search for "Yosemite Sam." 

He's a character from the Bugs Bunny cartoons, which most American kids would know. Well, at least the ones before the Millenials.

Play a few of those videos, he usually says his name.

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous. They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

Joe Consumer probably doesn't even know what version number is on his computer/smartphone/tablet.

The operating system versioning is only important for dork wads like the ones in tech rumor forums. Meaning Apple doesn't care.

And 99% of the people who will run OS X 10.10 won't be people who ran 10.1.0. Note that we have already seen 10.x.10 releases. Your concern is completely irrelevant to Apple engineering or Apple marketing.

post #49 of 78
OS X Beats, anyone?
post #50 of 78

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there?

post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

OS X Beats, anyone?

OS X Beats Windows
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Yosemite ws the first powerMac G4, wasn't it?

I'll wait for OSX Sawtooth.

I definitely remember "Yosemite" from the PowerMac days, not sure if it was a chipset or CPU or what...

post #53 of 78
Why would AI jump to OS X Yosimite when they published previous names that were trademarked that included El Cap and El Capitain? I'm guessing we are getting OS X El Capitan and not Yosimite.

Maybe it was just Mac Rumors.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/future-os-x-names-california/

See the update had El Cap and the main story had Yosimite.
Edited by Phone-UI-Guy - 5/30/14 at 7:24pm
post #54 of 78
OS X Marks The Spot
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why the hell would it even reach 10.10.10? When was the last time OSX got 10 major updates before the next version? 10.9.3 was JUST released and 10.10 is going to be revealed next week. At most it will reach 10.9.5 before they stop updating. Did you forget we're on yearly releases now? 

It may or may not be called 10.10, but I very much doubt Apple is concerned it may be confused with an OS released 13 years ago. Jus like Tallest Ski's epic obsession that it wouldn't be called the iPhone 5 because it literally wasn't the 5th iPhone, the concern was utterly irrelevant to consumers and thus Apple, and so is this. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/30/14 at 7:54pm
post #56 of 78
10.10 better be amazing and blow everyones mind if it is called Yosemite, because if it is buggy or lame it will be called "Yosemite Sam" by the pundits, press, and Apple haters.
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Why would AI jump to OS X Yosimite when they published previous names that were trademarked that included El Cap and El Capitain? I'm guessing we are getting OS X El Capitan and not Yosimite.

Maybe it was just Mac Rumors.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/future-os-x-names-california/

See the update had El Cap and the main story had Yosimite.

Sweet! El Capitan was my first choice after seeing the banner. I don't want it to be something already fairly well known outside of CA.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdknox View Post

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

Mt Shasta — thanks, that nicely explains one of the names in Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice (which I am in the middle of at the moment). I'm sure there are many other California-based insider jokes that I am not getting, having never been there.

I like Big Sur as a name. Maybe that.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

If Apple were naming the next version of OS X after places in New Mexico, we could be using OS X Truth or Consequences, just rolls right off the tongue.
Is there a OS X version that wasn't 1-2 names in it? All the California things, I find it weird that it was cats to California, and was hoping they would keep plant(or nature) theme, they could have done bears, trees, anything then naming things that only California has.
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Is there a OS X version that wasn't 1-2 names in it? All the California things, I find it weird that it was cats to California, and was hoping they would keep plant(or nature) theme, they could have done bears, trees, anything then naming things that only California has.

I surprised Tim Cook didn't name the OS X releases after great civil rights campaigners.

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I surprised Tim Cook didn't name the OS X releases after great civil rights campaigners.

Maybe it already is: Malcom [OS] X

post #62 of 78
Ventura: all I can think of is a certain investigator of pet crimes...
post #63 of 78
OS X Sonoma: The wino edition.
post #64 of 78
I think this is a Easter egg for OS X Mavericks. I found it and iOS maps maybe they will do the same thing in the next OS
post #65 of 78

Mac OS X 10.10 should obviously be called "Eames"

Charles and Ray Eames produced the legendary "Powers of 10" short film that I'm sure readers of this column are intimately familiar with!

post #66 of 78
Perhaps the reason the date didn't match on "Yosemite" is that it was already used (and likely trademarks filed) as the name for the original blue and white G3's. (the tall "PowerMac" not the iMac)
Not saying they couldn't use it again, but if I were Phil (which i'm not), I wouldn't.
post #67 of 78

Yo-sem-i-te

post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Perhaps the reason the date didn't match on "Yosemite" is that it was already used (and likely trademarks filed) as the name for the original blue and white G3's. (the tall "PowerMac" not the iMac) Not saying they couldn't use it again, but if I were Phil (which i'm not), I wouldn't.

I hope they don't use it again, because I want them to use more obscure names so I can learn something new with each new name, but they did use iBook for a notebook and iBooks for an app so I think an old Power Mac codename from 15 years ago means that Yosemite is definitely still on the table.

post #69 of 78

So I’m the first to mention how embarrassing this leak is? This is obviously one of the posters that is supposed to be covered before the keynote.

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous.

No, it’s perfectly fine. No one will be confused, as you said.

They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

The tech for OS XI doesn’t exist yet, so they can’t very well move to it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #70 of 78
Humboldt?

Then, when they get to OSX ninety and nine:

Tehachapi

Folsom

San Quentin

Alcatraz
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So I’m the first to mention how embarrassing this leak is? This is obviously one of the posters that is supposed to be covered before the keynote.
Quote:
Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous.
No, it’s perfectly fine. No one will be confused, as you said.
Quote:
They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

The tech for OS XI doesn’t exist yet, so they can’t very well move to it.

I've always been partial to "elevendy-ninedy" 1biggrin.gif
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #72 of 78

I'm not American (so don't know if I'm right) but I've always pronounced it "Yo-seh-muh-tea"– 'seh' like Seth without 't' and 'muh' like in machine.

Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X can be just as good.
Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X can be just as good.
post #73 of 78
What about the highly inspirational 'OS X Whitney'?
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are you talking about? These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it. And no, they're never covered. But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

Unless your post was sarcasm. Which I hope it was. 

post #75 of 78
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it.

Yeah, the ones they have up before the keynote.

And no, they're never covered.

2007. 2011. 2013.

But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

We now know the theme of iOS 8 and the name of 10.10. We didn’t before.

A few years back, we learned the iCloud logo early because of an uncovered banner.

post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What are you talking about? These posters are leaked online before the event EVERY SINGLE YEAR. There's nothing "embarrassing" about it. And no, they're never covered. But yes, an "8" and an "X" are shockingly revealing. 

Unless your post was sarcasm. Which I hope it was. 

Well, I'm hoping that banner was hung upside down for iOS 8. If it's hung properly then it implies that it's raining from the ocean.

If the picture is of the banner hung upside right then it means it's raining from a very strange cloud.

The fact that it's an 8 doesn't help. Perhaps that the point.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 6/1/14 at 12:56am
post #77 of 78
With a lemniscate used for iOS8, prepare for the rush of trolls saying it proves Apple enthusiasts are lemmings.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewPalmer View Post

With a lemniscate used for iOS8, prepare for the rush of trolls saying it proves Apple enthusiasts are lemmings.

Windows is by far the most popular platform (90%), so Windows users are the lemmings. Linux users are all zealots, who want everything to be "open" no matter what. Mac users are just buying good quality.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme