or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad

Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad

post #1 of 45
With three days to go until Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off, one research firm found iOS 7 adoption rose to new levels in the U.S. and Canada as with iPhone and iPad users continue to upgrade ahead of an expected iOS 8 announcement.

According to the latest statistics from ad network Chitika's analytics arm Chitika Insights, 89.7 percent of iPhone Web traffic in North America is being generated by handsets running some version of iOS 7. For iPads, the number is a bit lower at 84.8 percent of the whole, but the tablet-owning audience exhibited more growth over the past three months.

Compared to the firm's last study in February, 83.3 percent of iPhone owners were running iOS 7, meaning that number rose 5.4 points over the past quarter ending in May. Apple iPad users moved from 78.5 percent to 84.8 percent during the same period, representing a 6.3 percent increase.

Chitika notes that the lead up to last year's WWDC saw iOS 6 on 92.7 percent of iPhones and 82.9 percent for iPad. The uptick in iPad version distribution may be attributed to the comparative strength of Apple's latest tablet releases versus the iPhone. For example, the latest iPads launched in October with the newly-designed iPad Air and highly-anticipated iPad mini with Retina display. Another factor could be accelerated handset proliferation following the introduction of the mid-tier iPhone 5c.

Friday's study analyzed tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions from iPhones and iPads generated over the period between May 22 and May 28.

Apple's is expected to announce the next-generation iOS 8 at WWDC 2014 on Monday. Banners for the upcoming mobile operating system are already going up at San Francisco's Moscone Center, where WWDC will be held from June 2 through June 6.

AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of Apple CEO Tim Cook's keynote on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern and will continue reporting from the conference throughout the week.
post #2 of 45
There are still iPads running iOS 4? iOS 5 I can understand since that's the limit for the original model, but why stick with 4?

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.

You are only relevant...if your customers love you.

post #3 of 45
The math is off on the iPhone. 83.3 5.4= 88.7. So it appears it increased by 6.4%
post #4 of 45
Outstanding adoption rate (if accurate...and I don't trust this company to have completely accurate numbers).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There are still iPads running iOS 4? iOS 5 I can understand since that's the limit for the original model, but why stick with 4?

Some old people are wary of changing anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I gave my original iPad to a very senior citizen and I can pretty much guarantee she won't go anywhere near the settings app, although she always tells me how much she likes using the iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 45
Still avoiding 7...
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Still avoiding 7...

I had no choice. Apple broke FaceTime compatibility between iOS 7 and 6. So if I wanted to use FaceTime , I was forced to upgrade. No wonder Apple can claim such high numbers.

I really don't like iOS 7, nor do I use many of the new features now, though I'm sure I love the improvements under the hood.
post #8 of 45
It would be nice to search emails with keywords in iOS.
And see browsing history in Safari in iOS.
Is that too much to ask for?

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

post #9 of 45
Quote:

I am saving my old iPhone w old iOS to reminisce in 30 yesrs
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Saying something about features you want is not really the best place to post.  

Try submitting them here.  You might get a quicker response.  I've found depending on what you ask for it can take TYPICALLY months, years or never.  It's just a matter of what you are asking for and if they can do it and if it makes sense or if they WANT to do it. Sometimes we ask for things they CAN do, SHOULD do, but never do.  And it's anyone's guess as to why.

www.apple.com/feedback/

post #11 of 45

I'm only running it because Apple didn't release 6.1.6 for the iPhone 4. 

iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.

I'm hoping 8 is better.

post #12 of 45
I am truly enjoying iOS 7.1, but I would bet iOS 8 will not be available for my old iPhone 4... That said, I am very confident in saying that it is the highest quality smartphone from 2010 that is still enjoying regular use to this day.
post #13 of 45

lotta trolls out tonite on this forum.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #14 of 45
Quote:

Is this post a joke? Both of those things are possible today!
post #15 of 45

I need:

Search for email.

History for Safari.

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Within both? no.

post #17 of 45
Quote:

Within both? no.

Quote:

I need:

Search for email.

History for Safari.

Search for e-mail:

Go into Mail.  Click 'All inboxes'.  Drag down and the search box appears.  Enter your keywords and it will search all e-mails in all inboxes.  You can also do this for individual mail accounts.

History for Safari:

At the bottom of the screen, click the icon that looks like an open book.  This brings up a page with 3 icons across the top:  Bookmarks, Reading List and Shared Links.  Click on Bookmarks.  In the list that appears, there are 'Favorites', 'HISTORY', 'Bookmarks Menu' and any bookmarks or bookmark folders you've created.

You're welcome.

post #18 of 45

Very happy to say that I have not updated to 7 yet on 4 out of 5 devices.   I still find it a visual disaster. 

I may have to get 8, but only with a new device.  I will not give them the satisfaction of having my older machines updated.

My biggest fear is what will happen to Mac OS now that Apple has gone this design route...  

Edited by Bergermeister - 5/30/14 at 8:48pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I had no choice. Apple broke FaceTime compatibility between iOS 7 and 6. So if I wanted to use FaceTime , I was forced to upgrade. No wonder Apple can claim such high numbers.

I really don't like iOS 7, nor do I use many of the new features now, though I'm sure I love the improvements under the hood.
Yeah there are things wrong with that, and bad to find out that if you have something day an iPod 4, FaceTime compatible, except can't contact newer devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.

I'm hoping 8 is better.
Agreed
Quote:

Both have been in IOS for year, history is in bookmarks and mail search is if you pull-up.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Very happy to say that I have not updated to 7 yet on 4 out of 5 devices.   I still find it a visual disaster. 

I may have to get 8, but only with a new device.  I will not give them the satisfaction of having my older machines updated.

My biggest fear is what will happen to Mac OS now that Apple has gone this design route...  

Apple doesn't get any satisfaction out of you updating your old machines. They don't care about you becoming the 0.5% piece of the pie chart in this article. Get off your high horse.
post #21 of 45
I don't understand everyone's aversion to iOS 7. I like it on my iPhone and my iPad. Seriously, why do people hate it so much?

Working in tech support when the whole transition for FaceTime went down was a pain in the butt (It's still ongoing for those who don't use FaceTime very often.) A lot of people were angry with their cell phone carrier because they had to update their software. Explaining to people that APPLE, not their carrier, changed the requirements for running FaceTime time and again was awful. A lot of people were angry about having to give up iOS 6 so they could continue using FaceTime.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

Apple doesn't get any satisfaction out of you updating your old machines. They don't care about you becoming the 0.5% piece of the pie chart in this article. Get off your high horse.

Having a nice day?

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

I strongly suspect the poster is a troll.
I doubt he uses any iOS device, or for that matter, anything from Apple.

Expect the troll to reply with how the troll has purchased every single item for the past ten years from Apple.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I'm hoping 8 is better.

Your argument would be MUCH stronger if you gave some actual examples of the "major user interface problems". 

post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Your argument would be MUCH stronger if you gave some actual examples of the "major user interface problems". 

Do we have to go through that every time?  Many people like OS7.  Many do not.  There have been many lengthy posts on why people do not like it.

I also hope that 8 is an improvement.  Hopefully, it is easier to view, less bright overall, has controlled motion that doesn't trigger motion sickness in some customers and so on. 

What I would most like to see would be a 30-day trial.  Install it and try it.  If you don't like it, revert to your old backup and carry on.  They did not allow this with 7 and, as suggested with the FaceTime problem, virtually forced some people to update (or stop using apps or leave the platform) because they couldn't be bothered to update their own apps properly.  Then they will turn around and announce at the keynote how many people updated; not all of these are happy about it.

post #26 of 45
Quote:

Do we have to go through that every time?  Many people like OS7.  Many do not.  There have been many lengthy posts on why people do not like it.

I also hope that 8 is an improvement.  Hopefully, it is easier to view, less bright overall, has controlled motion that doesn't trigger motion sickness in some customers and so on. 

What I would most like to see would be a 30-day trial.  Install it and try it.  If you don't like it, revert to your old backup and carry on.  They did not allow this with 7 and, as suggested with the FaceTime problem, virtually forced some people to update (or stop using apps or leave the platform) because they couldn't be bothered to update their own apps properly.  Then they will turn around and announce at the keynote how many people updated; not all of these are happy about it.

Obviously we do need to keep going over it because people keep bringing it up in threads like this.

Your points are valid, but some are outdated. The motion issue was addressed with successive updates. Did you try those out? 

The fact remains that, while 7 was a drastic change, it's not that bad. People are adaptable creatures, and soon you would be right back in the groove of it like you never even used 6 before it. That's the truth.

post #27 of 45
Quote:

Obviously we do need to keep going over it because people keep bringing it up in threads like this.

Your points are valid, but some are outdated. The motion issue was addressed with successive updates. Did you try those out? 

The fact remains that, while 7 was a drastic change, it's not that bad. People are adaptable creatures, and soon you would be right back in the groove of it like you never even used 6 before it. That's the truth.

Sometimes I wonder if I myself am outdated! 8-)

I know motion got better, but it was an issue that TV has long known was a problem for some and a major mistake on Apple's part.  I have several friends who were made ill by it.

Yes.  I have the latest update to 7 on my iPad mini.  I have had to go in and adjust various settings, white point, transparancy, contrast, etc.  Never needed to do this before and don't think most people should have to.  These adjustments also came very late to the game; for a good design, they should have been there from the beginning.

7.1.1 is much better than the original 7 release, but I still think there are major problems with it.  

I hope that 8 will be much better and more thought-through from the beginning.

post #28 of 45

iOS7 isn't great.  I would have stuck/gone back to iOS6 if I could.  Expect Apple to do the same with iOS8 (lock out downgrades).

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iOS7 isn't great.  I would have stuck/gone back to iOS6 if I could.  Expect Apple to do the same with iOS8 (lock out downgrades).

Since the management change didn't have a full year on it since the manager switch took place after iOS 6 was released, I think they did a B+ job and I've gotten used to the new design and I'm sure there will always be some little design changes along the way.  There are some nice new features, and I'm looking forward to more.

I read they are bringing split screen feature, hopefully they'll do a better job than Microsoft did.  I haven't played with Android's split screen so I really don't have experience with their implementation of it.

I still find myself having to go into Settings WiFi to select the WiFi network so having the WiFI on/off in the control center area needs a little tweaking on that.  I'm just waiting for the larger screen, faster processor, etc. etc. due to my aging iPhone 4 being just a basic use phone.

post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Some old people are wary of changing anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I gave my original iPad to a very senior citizen and I can pretty much guarantee she won't go anywhere near the settings app, although she always tells me how much she likes using the iPad.

iOS5 was the first version with OTA updates. If someone was still using an iPad 1 with iOS4 and they've never plugged it into a PC running iTunes they are completely unable to update it.
post #31 of 45
I hope Apple will correct iOS 8 to have much better design than iOS 7.
post #32 of 45
These numbers don't tell us what percentage of iPhone and iPad users have switched to iOS7. They only tell us the percentage of internet access impressions are generated by each. The usage of the previous versions could be much higher among users who just don't do a lot of internet searching with the iDevices.
post #33 of 45
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhow1 View Post

The math is off on the iPhone. 83.3 5.4= 88.7. So it appears it increased by 6.4%

5.4% of 83.3% = 6.33%.  Looks like a rounding error, but the calculation is correct

post #35 of 45
Two issues here,
1. Chitika doesn't have access to everyone so their numbers are suspect
2. Correlation doesn't equal casualty. The headline wants us to think that iOS 8 has anything to do with this. the SSL bug, the followup iMessage/Facetime issue, and the inability to upgrade iOS 6 on a device that can update to iOS 7 have more to do with the adoption

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #36 of 45
Quote:

Except 7 has no groove, visually. It's actually designed to be unattractive to the eye, so no groove permitted.

Could be design laziness or tastelessness, but I think it was from an excess of design puritanism. "Let us have no texture" was the mandate. So we get an ungodly green for the battery icon, a nasty pointy blue thing for Safari, and so on.

I've got 7 on my iPad mini, 6 on my iPhone 4Ses. It is always such a pleasure to see the 6 screens, such a pain to see the 7 icons. Design purity is right next to design perversity. They crossed the line. I hope they redeem themselves.
post #37 of 45
The numbers are fake. Many of those are Android users who modified their user agent. Nobody is using iOS 7 because it's such a failure. ¡

Seriously, though, why would anyone doubt these figures? If you polled 10 people about something you're not going to get accurate data. If you poll 1,000 people and 900 were using iOS 7 then it's safe to say that the rest of the population are going to show similar numbers.

Chitika is basing their data off millions of devices, so their margin of error should be really small.
post #38 of 45
Quote:

I need:

Search for email.

History for Safari.

Not only are you a tireless troll, you're ignorant of even the most basic iOS built in app features which have been around for ages. It's clear that your ignorance extends through all areas. Maybe try to be informed, instead of just having an opinion based on this ignorance?

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Except 7 has no groove, visually. It's actually designed to be unattractive to the eye, so no groove permitted.

Could be design laziness or tastelessness, but I think it was from an excess of design puritanism. "Let us have no texture" was the mandate. So we get an ungodly green for the battery icon, a nasty pointy blue thing for Safari, and so on.

I've got 7 on my iPad mini, 6 on my iPhone 4Ses. It is always such a pleasure to see the 6 screens, such a pain to see the 7 icons. Design purity is right next to design perversity. They crossed the line. I hope they redeem themselves.

I agree they did go overboard on the starkness, but quite honestly there's only a few aspects that still bother me- the rest I've grown accustomed to, and its actually grown on me, and 7.1 did improve some of the egregious useability choices. I do hope that iOS8 brings some visual improvements though, and that they've taken a second pass on the icons which I believe on the whole look weak. However, anecdotally I don't think normal people give a shit. Not once people I know that upgraded to iOS7 had any negative comments about the looks, and there are no indications that sales or customer satisfaction has suffered (quite the opposite, actually) so I don't think it's gotten any kind of mainstream of universal negativity. 

post #40 of 45
Quote:

The notion that you think you not updating your OS keeps anyone at Apple awake at night is absolutely hilarious. Apple is selling many tens of millions of iOS devices a month, all running iOS7. Your decision is less significant to Apple than a blade of grass on a football field. Beyond that, you're only shooting yourself in the foot as regardless of you opinion on the visual aspect, iOS7 IS a much more fully featured and overall better OS than the previous in every single respect. Hilarious that you're sacrificing all that so that you "don't give them satisfaction". I've heard strange justifications before, but that one takes the cake. Like it or not, iOS7 has been widely accepted by the mainstream as Apple is still smashing sales record each quarter. Your personal decision has less than zero influence on anything. I'd recommend making rational choices. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad