or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Longtime Apple PR head Katie Cotton officially retires
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Longtime Apple PR head Katie Cotton officially retires - Page 3

post #81 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Several hundred thousand in a few months. What losers¡
A start up running in the red within 6 months of launching? Stop the fucking presses!
$500 million for less than 6 months on the market is a failure I'd like to have.

A company that is losing money is not a successful company.   you would need a LOT more than $500 Million to dump in it to keep on going to HOPEFULLY reach profitability after potentially years of losing money.  So they aren't paying JUST $500 Million, that's just for starters.  How many paid subscribers does that business model NEED in order to make decent profits?  50 Million to just make a measly net profit?

50,000,000 paid subscribers will take a LONG time if they only have 250K.  I don't know of anyone that uses Beats music that pays for it.  The problem is that NO ONE has proven that they can make a subscription service really profitable.  Spotify has 10 Mil users worldwide and I haven't heard of them making a profit, if they have, let me know.  And what Net Profit margin to Gross Sales are they? 1%, 2%?  I read that Spotify released a loss of $59 Million in 2012 and MAYBE they might have broken even in 2013, but 2013 profit statements haven't been released as of yet but they were supposed to reach $500 Mil in Gross Revenues, which is OK, but with no profits? Not OK.  So how many paid subscribers is it going to take to reach even a measly 5% Net Profit to Gross Revenues margin?  TBD.

 

It's one of those businesses thats STILL in the proof of concept stage of profitable business model.   the thing is Apple can't have revenue streams that aren't profitable as it will lower their Net Profit margins.  Has anyone thought of what would happen if that was part of what Apple reports on the next earnings call?  I think that's why they are letting them run independently so maybe they don't have to fold the financials into what Apple reports, or do they?  Kind of like what Google was doing with Motorola.   Google was profitable but Motorola wasn't.

post #82 of 140
It is naive in the extreme to think or expect PR's to be honest. Katie presided over arguably the most successful period in Apple's growth so she gets a thumbs up from me for a job well done. Not an easy job under a boss like Jobs and a company that required secrecy.
post #83 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8or View Post

It is naive in the extreme to think or expect PR's to be honest. Katie presided over arguably the most successful period in Apple's growth so she gets a thumbs up from me for a job well done. Not an easy job under a boss like Jobs and a company that required secrecy.

 

She proved she could last 18 years at Apple doing pretty much the same job day in and day out.

post #84 of 140

What really matters is that "Dr. Dre" is part of the company now - THAT sucks.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

Reply

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

Reply
post #85 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ooo, I see we have a new troll meme. Iovine suckered Apple. That should add to your credibility here.
Like I care about that. lol.gif anyway Iovine has been pretty clear that they were the ones approaching Apple, not the other way around.
post #86 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Proofread yourself¡ Since when is proofread a hyphenated word? 1wink.gif

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proofread

I don't write article professionally. These guys do.
post #87 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

What really matters is that "Dr. Dre" is part of the company now - THAT sucks.
Jon Fortt of CNBC tweeted this:
Quote:
What this costs (or adds to) Apple in time, focus, personnel and brand is far more important than a measly $3B.

I'm not convinced this is going to add to Apple. I've seen some articles on Medium that Apple is going to try and save the music industry. Ben Thompson wrote on his blog Stratechery that this may be another signal that Apple is moving in the direction of a fashion company that just happens to sell technology. And the latest article from the NYTimes claims Apple is buying up 'tastemakers', essentially a group of people replacing what Steve Jobs was.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/what-the-beats-deal-says-about-apple-it-loves-tastemakers/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hpw&rref=technology&_r=0

I personally think this is Apple basically admitting they're way behind when it comes to music. But they're going to have to work fast because the competition isn't sitting back doing nothing. I'll be curious id they attempt to create a YouTube competitor.
post #88 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Good riddance, part of the Steve Jobs era that really deserves to be shown the door and handed her hat.

She has been an unabashed, unapologetic and crushingly unconvincing liar on behalf of the company (primarily for Steve).

She fulfilled an important role in the company at the time, although she largely fell silent about a year before Steve's passing, probably because no one sane would believe what she uttered, like the "Steve is out with a virus" B.S. which because increasingly shrill and ludicrous.

But hey, high tech public relations is one of the most soulless careers on the planet, it's rather surprising that anyone can survive nearly two decades in such a soul-sucking role. Hopefully there's something still left in her heart.

I sincerely wish her the best of luck on her future endeavors. For everyone's sake, let's hope it has nothing to do with public relations.

Corporate public relations runs a fine line in what is released publicly. The slightest information that can be misinterpreted in a negative way can have a huge impact on the company's stock performance. How do you know that she was given all the correct information on Job's actual condition? The information could have been kept tightly among a select few and maybe even not within Apple executives.

 

Retiring to spend time with her family is a good thing. Public relations is difficult and keeping Apple's information tight and without leaking future projects and products must have been one of the toughest in the industry. Most tech companies want to blab about vaporware well before it's introduction.  I think we will see this talented woman show up in again but maybe not in the tech industry.

post #89 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


You're right. I was just being nice because he and the other rappers call it music.

It's too bad that some people don't appreciate hip hop. Dre is very well-regarded for producing and making great music. The records that he produces are very highly polished (in a good way). It's very good music.

 

I could be wrong, like a former coworker said, and music must have guitars. 

 

Even if one does not care for a particular brand of music, that's not to say it's not music or not good music. I'm not a big fan of "new" Country music (won't dial it up), but it's often very good music and there are some highly competent and passionate people playing it.

post #90 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


How can you be so sure on that? You own mentality? I think it's awfully coincidental since it's all happening within a month of the buyout when the company is in the midst of some "revolutionary" products. What has she done recently that so bad that she feels like retiring? PR isn't always direly responsible for what they tell the public, a lot what they say is what they are told by the lawyers and they just spin it to make their lawyers happy.

They're retiring because ballmer bought the clippers.

There, based on your logic- you can't disprove my theory either.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #91 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

A company that is losing money is not a successful company.   you would need a LOT more than $500 Million to dump in it to keep on going to HOPEFULLY reach profitability after potentially years of losing money.  So they aren't paying JUST $500 Million, that's just for starters.  How many paid subscribers does that business model NEED in order to make decent profits?  50 Million to just make a measly net profit?

50,000,000 paid subscribers will take a LONG time if they only have 250K.  I don't know of anyone that uses Beats music that pays for it.  The problem is that NO ONE has proven that they can make a subscription service really profitable.  Spotify has 10 Mil users worldwide and I haven't heard of them making a profit, if they have, let me know.  And what Net Profit margin to Gross Sales are they? 1%, 2%?  I read that Spotify released a loss of $59 Million in 2012 and MAYBE they might have broken even in 2013, but 2013 profit statements haven't been released as of yet but they were supposed to reach $500 Mil in Gross Revenues, which is OK, but with no profits? Not OK.  So how many paid subscribers is it going to take to reach even a measly 5% Net Profit to Gross Revenues margin?  TBD.

 

It's one of those businesses thats STILL in the proof of concept stage of profitable business model.   the thing is Apple can't have revenue streams that aren't profitable as it will lower their Net Profit margins.  Has anyone thought of what would happen if that was part of what Apple reports on the next earnings call?  I think that's why they are letting them run independently so maybe they don't have to fold the financials into what Apple reports, or do they?  Kind of like what Google was doing with Motorola.   Google was profitable but Motorola wasn't.

Sounds like Apple needed a streaming service, and were not up to stuff to buy one. Just like Dropbox was approached for their cloud storage. Or all of the dozens of companies Apple (and other companies) buy.

 

Does it really need to make money? Why not have a loss leader? They didn't seem to pay too much for the streaming part of the business and they had to buy the whole package. I'm sure the headphones will improve and be on par with what they cost in comparison to other headphones.

 

I bet most or many of the companies that Apple and Google and MS have bought were maybe not making a lot of money. And hopefully, they got their money's worth.

 

MS bought Nokia - that company hasn't been doing so well. It was a strategic buy and a gamble, maybe. MS and Apple have deep pockets and they can invest at a loss for awhile.

 

Any bet that Apple loses money for awhile on their new products? Until they ramp up and sell at volume? All the upfront costs?

post #92 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I'm wondering how many of these long timers that are retiring are related to the Beats buyout or their confidence in Cook. It would be an interesting read to have interviews with all of these people retiring would actually speak candidly as to why they are retiring, when they certainly are still young enough to continue working.

Steve is gone. Get over it. Get over it. Get over it. Katie Cotton's retirement plans for retirement was announced long before the Beats acquisition. Apple acquired Beats, get over it. Tim Cook has guided Apple to it's most profitable time in it's history. The iPhone, iPad, and Mac have made it the largest computer maker surpassing HP and Lenovo. (yes they also count their mobile devices) The iPhone 5s is considered one of the most advanced smartphones even 7 months after introduction. The 64-bit processor custom SoC, M7 coprocessor, advanced camera (number of pixels does not equal better pictures), Touch ID. The performance even blows away the brand new Samsung S5 in some performance tests and Touch ID is considered superior implementation. Cook follows Jobs philosophy of getting a new category right before it's introduction not being first at it. Who else are you talking about retiring? Any names?

post #93 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

What really matters is that "Dr. Dre" is part of the company now - THAT sucks.


What is the problem? Beats hardware business is profitable and the major part of the acquisition. The younger crowd buys the Beats headphones because they're cool to be seen with them and they have Dr. Dre's name associated with them. Apple can use some cool factor. I'm 57 and I have a pair of Beats headphones because I like the quality.

 

Beats Music has every genre. Have you checked it out? I did. I thought it was awesome. Do you think at 57 I listen to hip hop? Don't jump to conclusions unless you know the facts. It just shows ignorance.

post #94 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

 I know what i know and that's what I believe.

All I can say is, sorry. And wish you good luck.
post #95 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post


What is the problem? Beats hardware business is profitable and the major part of the acquisition. The younger crowd buys the Beats headphones because they're cool to be seen with them and they have Dr. Dre's name associated with them. Apple can use some cool factor. I'm 57 and I have a pair of Beats headphones because I like the quality.

Beats Music has every genre. Have you checked it out? I did. I thought it was awesome. Do you think at 57 I listen to hip hop? Don't jump to conclusions unless you know the facts. It just shows ignorance.
More lipstick on a pig. Apple made the deal so it has to be defended here no matter what. I'm sure we'll get an editorial this weekend from DED about how brilliant Apple is for making this deal and how SamsungGoogleAmazonMicrosoft ect. are screwed because of it.
post #96 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post
 


What is the problem? Beats hardware business is profitable and the major part of the acquisition. The younger crowd buys the Beats headphones because they're cool to be seen with them and they have Dr. Dre's name associated with them. Apple can use some cool factor. I'm 57 and I have a pair of Beats headphones because I like the quality.

 

Beats Music has every genre. Have you checked it out? I did. I thought it was awesome. Do you think at 57 I listen to hip hop? Don't jump to conclusions unless you know the facts. It just shows ignorance.

Samsung is profitable too and young people buy phatPhones- your point?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #97 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) He's also insinuating that if they support Apple's decision they are must be lying. He's so wrapped up in his hatred for the certain type of individual and his successful companies being made a part of Apple that he can't bring himself to be objective or fair about Apple's decision.

2) What he foolishly doesn't comprehend is that Apple has 80,000 direct employees worldwide so no matter what Apple does the odds that at least one employee won't be able to comprehend their corporate decisions. The odds are simply astronomical that at least one person from their retail store employee not understanding why one would use an iPod or iPad to some higher-ups in disagreeing with Ping, the iPod HiFi, getting rid of the Mac clones, or even the naming of products which there have been a few articles discussing how Steve wanted some really stupid names. For some unexplained reason he believes his comment is reasonable and sane.

 

I'm not sure why you even bother with this guy other than a couple of little interjections for humor's sake.

 

It sounds like the cheese slid off his cracker a long long time ago...

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #98 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Good riddance, part of the Steve Jobs era that really deserves to be shown the door and handed her hat.

She has been an unabashed, unapologetic and crushingly unconvincing liar on behalf of the company (primarily for Steve).

She fulfilled an important role in the company at the time, although she largely fell silent about a year before Steve's passing, probably because no one sane would believe what she uttered, like the "Steve is out with a virus" B.S. which because increasingly shrill and ludicrous.

But hey, high tech public relations is one of the most soulless careers on the planet, it's rather surprising that anyone can survive nearly two decades in such a soul-sucking role. Hopefully there's something still left in her heart.

I sincerely wish her the best of luck on her future endeavors. For everyone's sake, let's hope it has nothing to do with public relations.

She's well regarded in her field, one that I doubt you work in. Why u mad bro
post #99 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm wondering how many of these long timers that are retiring are related to the Beats buyout

Omg are you f'ing serious.... Get over it. Please.
post #100 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


Conspiracy theory?  Well, that's not what I'm hearing from my buddies that work at Apple.  The word I'm getting from sources indicate my theory is probably more accurate than yours. 

HAHAHA.

in other words, you're 16, have some apple genius high school mates, and don't know a thing. got it.
post #101 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like I care about that. lol.gif anyway Iovine has been pretty clear that they were the ones approaching Apple, not the other way around.

Quire right, what was I thinking. You get paid no matter what we think of you.
post #102 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

... every time I left a company to go back to college or to go to another company, etc.  I would sugar coat it to people that didn't need or want to know all of the reasons,...

Based on all the negatives you see in everything and all your posts, which I now block,  I would imagine that when you left a company that many were just happy that you were leaving, regardless of the reason.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #103 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And who are yours?  I just know that the Beats buyout was not widely accepted internally by ALL Apple employees.

Not ALL of Apple's employees are privy to it's strategic planning and the reasons behind it's acquisitions.
Of the 2% that are, I'm sure there is tremendous support.

The recent retirements are not related to the beats acquisition.
Apple is about to announce new products in new product categories completely unrelated to beats.
This new product strategy is going to require a lot of work and it is better to have the new team in place for it's launch.

Dr Dre has been Dr. Dre for over 20 years.
No one is shocked that he calls his friends niggers.
I'd be more shocked if he didn't.
Apple PR doesn't need to answer for him.
post #104 of 140
Interesting thread.
I see in it, a case of barely_evolved_troll coming out fighting, using the very same words that cut him down to size with his early troll 101 efforts. Bruised and battered, loins girded, drblank resorts to faux concerned negativity via conspiracy theories, merrily blanket bombing all and sundry along with logic, truth and respectful discourse.
Still a douchebag though 1biggrin.gif
post #105 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


Name someone in PR that's honest. 

The issue is not honesty.

 

It's competence.

In my view you have a problem with your ethical position. But tell me .. where are lies and doublespeak acceptable, and where are they not ? Do you really build the expectation that companies like Apple MUST cross the line and incorporate lies and deceit into the corporate mindset to succeed ? Or is it just the american view that's coming through ?

post #106 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


Name someone in PR that's honest. 

The issue is not honesty.

 

It's competence.

In my view you have a problem with your ethical position. 

 

Read what I wrote, again, and try to understand it in context.

post #107 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quire right, what was I thinking. You get paid no matter what we think of you.
And you can't refute that it was Beats who pursued Apple, not the other way around. Iovine said it and neither Cook nor Cue refuted it.
post #108 of 140

Amazing that someone like drblank - with almost 3,400 posts - managed to get himself banned because he has some sort of irrational bias against the occupation of public relations. PR is neither honest nor dishonest. It's a function, like accounting or marketing or manufacturing, and it can be practiced honestly or dishonestly. Having retired from a career in the business, I can say that honesty is the only logical approach. Dishonesty is eventually discovered and the consequences are almost always worse than telling the truth in the first place.

 

The clients I used to have the most trouble with were those who thought that they could spin lies ... that some PR guru could wave a magic wand and - presto! - all the lies would be believed and the critics would vanish. That is a typical mindset among those who have no clue as to what PR is about. Sorry, folks; it doesn't work that way. People like they must be suffering the same sort of dementia as Donald Sterling.

 

No company's communications are perfect, but it's pretty clear that Apple has achieved high standards over the years, leading to its strong reputation and admiration among consumers and the public. The stamp that Katie Cotton put on Apple's communications may never be fully understood or appreciated outside the company, but the results speak for themselves.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #109 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And you can't refute that it was Beats who pursued Apple, not the other way around. Iovine said it and neither Cook nor Cue refuted it.

Which equals "Beats suckered Apple into the deal."

I see. Airtight case.
post #110 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 

In my view you have a problem with your ethical position. But tell me .. where are lies and doublespeak acceptable, and where are they not ? Do you really build the expectation that companies like Apple MUST cross the line and incorporate lies and deceit into the corporate mindset to succeed ? Or is it just the american view that's coming through ?

 

The American view?

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #111 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And Apple just bought Beats and she probably doesn't want to deal with the aftermath of it.   I wouldn't want to deal with the potential PR nightmare.  I would have left too, especially if i had her position and lots of money.


What PR nightmare? Worse than backdating-options-gate? Worse than pancreatic-cancer-gate? Worse than hormone-imbalance-gate? You think buying-Beats-gate is worse? Why? You are defending your "probably" thesis with nothing more than handwaving in lieu of facts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Maybe based the decisions of the CEO. He's out of his element as a CEO, he was better just dealing with internal operations, which is what he was good at, but as CEO, he's not always made great decisions. I don't she wants to do anything with Dre and is probably disgusted with what his music represents. I know others at Apple that aren't thrilled with Dre bring part of Apple. I wonder who they are going to get to replace her.

 

There you go with the probably again. What proof do you have?

Why would you "don't she wants to do anything with Dre"?  Do you know her that well? 

And please tell us "what his music represents."  I want to hear you say it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Prove me wrong.  go get a copy of his iTunes library.

 

You haven't proven that you are right. Tell us what his music represents. I want to hear you say it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I tell you what.  Why did Donald Rosenberg, the former Head Council of Apple that was only with them for 10 months leave to go to Qualcomm?  Do you know the truth behind that one?  I do and I can prove it.  PM me with your request and MAYBE I'll send you the link and information as to why he left.  What did the media say about that departure?  What did Apple say about it?

 

First of all, we are not talking about Donald Rosenberg. We are talking about Katie. The reason one person leaves Apple is not necessarily related to why another leaves; so you would have to first prove that Donald Rosenberg's departure has any bearing on Katie's departure.

 

Secondly, and this is why you're not getting any support here:

1. you keep posting claims without evidence

2. you tease that you know something (about a possibly unrelated case)

3. you say you can prove what you know about that case

4. you tease MAYBE you'll send a link to the evidence

 

I'm not DM-ing you; if you've got a link, post it. The forum community has called you on your B.S. Your posting pattern suggests you have no proof about Katie's reasons, and you're furiously defending your personal conspiracy theories with logical fallacies and rhetorical devices.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I do have abilities to find things out that most people are oblivious to.   i don't necessarily look for it, but when I sense something's wrong, I can figure out what the BS is.  

 

I don't LOOK for it initially. I just see things with clarity.  You just don't want to accept certain things.  That's living in denial.  Don't be in denial. 

 

Your personal feelings of having "superior clarity" over "most people" are not evidence to back your theories about Katie's departure. The forum community requires evidence that is a little less subjective.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I'm not a racist, why are you constantly bringing that up.  

 

go ahead and drive down to Compton and live there and see if you can fit in.  I'd be willing to wager that you wouldn't last more than a minute before you high tailed it out of there.  You would in fear for your life down there. You wouldn't fit in, or prove that you would.  Go ahead and live amongst the rapper community for a year and PROVE It to me.

 

Buddy, this is all I hear when you say that..

 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #112 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 

In my view you have a problem with your ethical position. But tell me .. where are lies and doublespeak acceptable, and where are they not ? Do you really build the expectation that companies like Apple MUST cross the line and incorporate lies and deceit into the corporate mindset to succeed ? Or is it just the american view that's coming through ?

 

The American view?

That it's ok to lie as a corporate spokeperson as long as you are "competent". That honesty is less important than being a good spin-doctor.

post #113 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 

That it's ok to lie as a corporate spokeperson as long as you are "competent". That honesty is less important than being a good spin-doctor.

 

From news coming out of recent patent trials I have come to believe that other countries participate in this activity as much as Americans. I think it is pervasive throughout the world and is not particularly the view of any one country.

 

That is, if you believe this ideology in the first place.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #114 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 


What PR nightmare? Worse than backdating-options-gate? Worse than pancreatic-cancer-gate? Worse than hormone-imbalance-gate? You think buying-Beats-gate is worse? Why? You are defending your "probably" thesis with nothing more than handwaving in lieu of facts.

 

 

There you go with the probably again. What proof do you have?

Why would you "don't she wants to do anything with Dre"?  Do you know her that well? 

And please tell us "what his music represents."  I want to hear you say it.

 

 

You haven't proven that you are right. Tell us what his music represents. I want to hear you say it.

 

 

First of all, we are not talking about Donald Rosenberg. We are talking about Katie. The reason one person leaves Apple is not necessarily related to why another leaves; so you would have to first prove that Donald Rosenberg's departure has any bearing on Katie's departure.

 

Secondly, and this is why you're not getting any support here:

1. you keep posting claims without evidence

2. you tease that you know something (about a possibly unrelated case)

3. you say you can prove what you know about that case

4. you tease MAYBE you'll send a link to the evidence

 

I'm not DM-ing you; if you've got a link, post it. The forum community has called you on your B.S. Your posting pattern suggests you have no proof about Katie's reasons, and you're furiously defending your personal conspiracy theories with logical fallacies and rhetorical devices.

 

 

Your personal feelings of having "superior clarity" over "most people" are not evidence to back your theories about Katie's departure. The forum community requires evidence that is a little less subjective.

 

 

Buddy, this is all I hear when you say that..

 

Uh... he's been banned. I think it's time to hang up the phone.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #115 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
 

In my view you have a problem with your ethical position. But tell me .. where are lies and doublespeak acceptable, and where are they not ? Do you really build the expectation that companies like Apple MUST cross the line and incorporate lies and deceit into the corporate mindset to succeed ? Or is it just the american view that's coming through ?

No he doesn't have a problem. As he suggested, you need to re-read his post, & comment/quote on it in context.

He is clearly commenting on a possible reason for Katie (& others' retirements from Apple at this point in time). That reason (to paraphrase), is that Katie started with Apple when it was a MUCH smaller company. As it has grown (to be HUGE), it may have outgrown the competencies Katie has in her role. In other words, she may no longer have the skill -mix required to perform the role that Apple requires of her. Nothing wrong with that. It requires an astute person to self-evaluate & reach that conclusion, or if told by someone else, to actually hear & accept it.

His comment has absolutely zero to do with lies & doublespeak.

Of course, she may just be retiring because she has kids & wants to spend more time with them (& can afford to).

post #116 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussienorm View Post


Katie started with Apple when it was a MUCH smaller company. As it has grown (to be HUGE), it may have outgrown the competencies Katie has in her role. In other words, she may no longer have the skill -mix required to perform the role that Apple requires of her. Nothing wrong with that. It requires an astute person to self-evaluate & reach that conclusion, or if told by someone else, to actually hear & accept it.
Katie was at Apple for 18 years but she wasn't VP of Public Relations on day one.
Katie worked her way up through the ranks because she was competent.
Her competence in her role was one of many factors for Apple's tremendous performance over the last decade.
post #117 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


Katie was at Apple for 18 years but she wasn't VP of Public Relations on day one.
Katie worked her way up through the ranks because she was competent.
Her competence in her role was one of many factors for Apple's tremendous performance over the last decade.

Oh yeah, I agree with you totally. The context of my whole post was in reply to Taniwha's issue with Anantksundaram.

Please note the word "may" stated twice in my post.


Edited by aussienorm - 6/1/14 at 2:00pm
post #118 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

The issue is not honesty.

 

It's competence.

Competence is in the eye of the beholder. Name one other company with the "built in demand" for info, thus keeping people interested in Apple. PR is, by nature of the job, run very differently than any other segment of a company. One should never expect the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth from the PR arm of any company. That is not the mandate of PR. To think otherwise is to show a complete misunderstanding of what PR is. Everyone should just STFU and wish Katie a happy and fulfilling retirement and thank her for a job well done.

Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #119 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Everyone should just STFU and wish Katie a happy and fulfilling retirement and thank her for a job well done.

I totally and completely wish her a happy and fulfilling retirement.

"Everyone should STFU"? Did someone appoint you the ruler of the internet?1rolleyes.gif
post #120 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I totally and completely wish her a happy and fulfilling retirement.

"Everyone should STFU"? Did someone appoint you the ruler of the internet?1rolleyes.gif

No, not at all, but I'm of the opinion that it is better to keep a closed mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and be proven one.

Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Longtime Apple PR head Katie Cotton officially retires