or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones

WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Apple should have announced this deal after WWDC. What do these 2 clowns have to do with software?  Those Beats headphones are pure drek.

It doesn't have anything to do with WWDC. All of the tops at Apple are old. Forestall was the only one who could connect, even partially because he was a billionaire, with normal people. They need someone who thinks like the average person.

Jobs was different because he always had that "wow that's awesome" factor.

Heck, they could have hired me for 1/4 the price.
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if they would consider reimplementing CoreGraphics to use Mantle instead of OpenGL. It's supposed to be a lot more modern and efficient.

I'm waiting for anything mainstream to implement any of these tech's. It's unfortunately being withheld (sorry, not used) from major developers. ..and I don't consider that horrible fist person tap game a real developer. Just me and my bad opinion though.

There are far too little developers using OpenGL than there should be. If the writing is on the wall, and a OpenGL is better, which it Is far superior, why are they not developing titles to take advantage of this.

Honestly, because every Mac besides the new MacPro is made to be hobbled by graphic performance.
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

From the sounds of it there is nothing to get excited about in iOS8. Healthbook and Shazam, yawn. I already use google maps because apple maps are average at best. I'd think they'd rollout improvements to Apple maps thought the course of the year.

You're absolutely right, a new app and shazam integration will obviously be the only new changes to the next major version of iOS. 

Are you for real? Typically, barely anything of consequence is leaked beforehand regarding OSX/iOS. Its ALWAYS kept under a tight lid until WWDC. *yawn* indeed. 

post #44 of 99
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
[most posts for the past few days]

I’m starting to get the feeling that you own an audio company that competed with Beats.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m starting to get the feeling that you own an audio company that competed with Beats.

Seems that pazuzu is more of an opportunist troll, posting inane, innocuous filler crap until a good opportunity comes along to bash Apple, taking cues from non troll posts. Pathetically, he continues to beat the horse despite how obvious his troll intentions are to everyone.

post #46 of 99
Can't wait for Monday. Should've had the foresight to take the day off to watch the keynote. At this point it doesn't look like there will be much hardware, particularly with Cue's seemingly preemptive statements about Apple having the "best line up in 25 years" by the end of the year. But the software announcements should be huge, and likely establish a very practical and compelling case for an iWatch. A mobile payments system would be a huge push in that direction, as would the rumored Made for iHome (or whatever they're going to call it) announcements.

post #47 of 99

I predict it will be announced that Jon Ive will be late to the event because Dr. Dre gave him a beating and then stuck his head in the opening of his signature Mac Pro. 

post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Seems that pazuzu is more of an opportunist troll, posting inane, innocuous filler crap until a good opportunity comes along to bash Apple, taking cues from non troll posts. Pathetically, he continues to beat the horse despite how obvious his troll intentions are to everyone.

Drek is drek. Before Apple bought and after Apple bought.
I don't care is Steve Jobs himself resurrected from the dead and bought it - Beats headphones are CRAP.
Just because they sell well doesn't change that fact
Apple has never stood for crap.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just have a passion for music and Beats electronics would be the last thing I would and many others would ever buy to listen to it on.

post #50 of 99
Quote:

What? Can you say "Beats". I know he/she can.
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

What? Can you say "Beats". I know he/she can.

Huh?

post #52 of 99
Quote:

Huh?

Look at his/her most recent posts. You'll understand.

I could be wrong... It certainly won't be the first time, but on the internet if I'm wrong no one's life is at stake. I like that a LOT!
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

That's one quote I bet Eric Schmidt wishes he never made.

He's right though... there are more devices running some version of Android than any other platform on the planet.

The problem is... many (most?) of those Android devices are complete garbage, selling for an absurdly low price, and are purchased by people who will never pay money for apps. That's why developers are not sprinting towards Android.

We tend to only talk about a handful of flagship Android phones on tech blogs (Galaxy S5, LG G3, HTC One, etc)

The funny thing is... "Android" is made up of much more than those handful of phones. No one talks about the utterly cheap phones sold in China and India... even though they make up the majority of Android sales.

Android fans brag that 8 out of 10 smartphones sold today are running Android... but they forget to mention that 6 out of those 8 are crap.

But yeah... Android is "winning" 1rolleyes.gif

If it was simply about the number of devices a platform has... developers would choose Android without hesitation.

They're not... so what does mean?

If 80% market share is not enough to make a developer consider Android... what is? That's why I always laugh at the market share fanboys. We get it... Android has the most market share. But what are they doing with it?

Before anyone jumps on me... yes I know there are plenty of developers for Android. My point is... why are there still so many iOS-first and iOS-only apps out there?

Didn't they get the memo that Android is winning?

As a person who is working on an Android project, I can answer that question. In a couple of parts:

1) Development Tools: Right now the best development tools for Android is Eclipse. Even Google's own Android Development Studio is utter shit. That said, Eclipse is no where is efficient or easy to use as Xcode. For instance, having a second developer with me is nothing but headaches. In Xcode, it was just a matter of pushing and pulling to the GIT repository. In Eclipse, that simple process is now a major headache.

2) Development Environment: Niw this seems like it is the same thing as the first one, but it isn't. For instance, a scroll view in iOS is a simple thing of drag and drop into the storyboard. If you want multiple scroll views, that is ok as well. For Android, you have to do the following (and this is not an exaggeration): Layout > Scroll View > Layout > Scroll View. That is the hierarchy. That is ugly and not very intuitive.

3) Development Testing: Testing on iOS is as simple as targeting the Simulator. It could be the iPhone simulator, iPad simulator, or even the 64bit iPhone Simulator. Just simple. Android, not even close. First, you have to create the simulator environment, and then it might not even work! You might have too much RAM, too little RAM, not the right simulated chip set, etc. it doesn't come with premade ones, and their suggestions never work correctly.

These are three issues I have with this OS. That is why developers don't like it: Android truely doesn't like developers.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #54 of 99

An OS XI or 11 some day?  I thought there would be no 10.10.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #55 of 99
Quote:

Being recently home, I've looked into it. It doesn't seem so bad. Please share your experience if you don't mind. Perhaps I can work my way around it.

From what I understand I would only need to support a few OS's, but apparently android is definitely among them. Doesn't seem so bad so far.., what do you know?

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the quirks.

...and yes I did read what you wrote above.

In response to your #1, #2, & #3

1.) adapt and overcome.

2.) adapt and overcome.

3.) adapt and overcome

Did you actually say scrolling was too hard? What the **** are you? Some pansy ass shit? Go live somewhere where you can be shot! You ungrateful piece of shit!

It's amazing what happens when you give eight years. Eight years ago none of this existed and you're saying point and click is too much work?

Please sign up for the services, I don't believe in them anymore, but you will most definitely benefit from it.

What the **** is wrong with you? Apart from the vile, viciuos nature of your post, most of it makes absolutely no sense. "Adapt and overcome"? He gave specific examples of the differences between iOS/Android development. And your response to that is that he should be shot and is a piece of shit?

post #56 of 99
Quote:

Being recently home, I've looked into it. It doesn't seem so bad. Please share your experience if you don't mind. Perhaps I can work my way around it.

From what I understand I would only need to support a few OS's, but apparently android is definitely among them. Doesn't seem so bad so far.., what do you know?

1.) adapt and overcome.

2.) adapt and overcome.

3.) adapt and overcome

Did you actually say scrolling was too hard? What the **** are you? Some pansy ass shit? Go live somewhere where you can be shot! You ungrateful piece of shit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the **** is wrong with you? Apart from the vile, viciuos nature of your post, most of it makes absolutely no sense. "Adapt and overcome"? He gave specific examples of the differences between iOS/Android development. And your response to that is that he should be shot and is a piece of shit?

Are you just trying to start something, because I believe you misread my post, and if you read any, or most importantly ALL, of your posts, they're full of swears, slander and calling people odd names for no reason.

If you would like to debate why it's so difficult to write for the android platform I'm all ears though. I don't think you mentioned the main point of my response.
post #57 of 99
Quote:

Are you just trying to start something, because I believe you misread my post, and if you read any, or most importantly ALL, of your posts, they're full of swears, slander and calling people odd names for no reason.

If you would like to debate why it's so difficult to write for the android platform I'm all ears though. I don't think you mentioned the main point of my response.

Edit: perhaps I read wrong, but it seems the poster I responded to has an extremely hard time with an extra scrolling motion, and an extra 'drag and drop' motion. I'm learning what I can about all of the new OS's so maybe I'll get the gist if what he/she was hinting at. So far it seems rather trivial don't you think?
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Btw, Trent Reznor has left Beats and some other employees have gone to Spotify.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/wolff/2014/05/31/the-odd-marriage-of-apple-and-beats/9774915/

Horrible news. Is that why the stock went down today? Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Most likely the Friday sell off. Weekends are long and you don't know where you'll be on Monday.
post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Whatever the **** happens at WWDC, I predict millions of troll posts, shrieks of outrage and disappointments, accusations of betrayal, statements of indignation and threats to abandon Apple, "Tim needs to go" posts, "Steve would have never approved of this" bullshit, sensational proclamations of doom based on the OSX redesign, "most disappointing WWDC ever" posts, "where the **** is Apple TV + iWatch + iPhone 6" posts, "lol Apple copied shittily implemented feature X from product Y" posts, "Apple sucks because they didnt reveal some product I'm fantasizing about but most people wouldnt give a shit about" posts, and more such horse-shit. Those are the ONLY guaranteed things at this point in time. Everything else is speculation and bullshit. 

It has been 8 months since Apple released anything substantial (the iPad redesign). It is perfectly valid and reasonable to have questions on the aggressiveness and sense of urgency inside the company. Even for those like myself who are fans of the company.

On side note, I've tested Beats Music and it is awesome. Going back to iTunes Music is like going back to DOS. It is scary how badly Apple has managed its music business. This is a red flag for me on Apple's ability to bring innovative services to market. There is a window of opp and it will not stay open for ever

Let's see what WWDC brings. An iOS 8 lite + OSX 10 re-skin does not cut it in my book

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

It has been 8 months since Apple released anything substantial (the iPad redesign). It is perfectly valid and reasonable to have questions on the aggressiveness and sense of urgency inside the company. Even for those like myself who are fans of the company.

On side note, I've tested Beats Music and it is awesome. Going back to iTunes Music is like going back to DOS. It is scary how badly Apple has managed its music business. This is a red flag for me on Apple's ability to bring innovative services to market. There is a window of opp and it will not stay open for ever

Let's see what WWDC brings. An iOS 8 lite + OSX 10 re-skin does not cut it in my book

I don't understand why Apple didn't already get a handle on this. They have everyone's play counts on itunes. They don't take our info, which is good, but they could always bring up a prompt asking if we want to share them. Then they would always have the top listened to songs for every genre all the time. Hopefully voluntary, and always voluntary. It would literally blow away anything on the market.

I can't see why this hasn't been implemented yet.

It takes 15 minutes for the "genius" data to sync to my phone or iPad but there's nothing I ever want to hear on any of them. If I have 20k songs because I imported the whole CD, it plays the tracks that NO ONE likes. Better off deleting them, but why when space is just going to keep getting bigger.

Also, supposedly digital music sales are declining. They took away the feature where I could look at published playlists. So I don't look at new songs. Ping sucked because it wasn't an automatic sign up, but I still got to see new songs from friends and they could see newly downloaded songs from me. Then they took that away. So right now I listen to my playlists and hear ZERO new songs. When I tune to the radio, it's always adds. That last for longer than I wanted to hear music.

So I check Sound Hound... Whoa! Their top five is apparently way off my demographic. There's nothing out there right now. Itunes had a lot of sales when you could check on what other people where listening to. They took that out of the equation so sales are declining.

Right now there's nothing. They kind of killed themselves on this one. They have all the tools in place and are not utilizing them.

I chuck this up to good old Eddy Cue. He's a dinosaur that has no clue about youth. He has no vision on how to deliver what people want. I don't need iOS in my car. My car already recognizes my phone, iPad and iPod. Heck I was recently showing off my new car to a friend, I told him to start it up. It doesn't need a key. It knows when I'm close. When he did it started playing songs from my iPad which was 300' away! It blew him away starting it without a key, and me away playing songs from my iPad 300' away. I don't need iOS in the car.
post #61 of 99
Quote:

And if you can't understand the difference between attacking someone with curse words and saying they should be shot (you), vs integrating it into a post without referencing specific individuals (Slurpy), then you clearly have some special issues.

Yes sir, you're right. Just need to adjust. Listening to people whine about the hardships of mundane things is kind of grating. I meant it as a joke. Should have hit the smiling face on the side.

1wink.gif

...and I think I did say that I could be wrong and no one would get hurt from me being wrong.

Edit: Yes sir, I just re-read his posts and I think he's here to give Apple fans exactly the bad publicity that's been propagated and played upon for a while. He's one of those that are making the stigma.

Better just throw me on ignore...
Edited by Silver Shadow - 6/1/14 at 12:25am
post #62 of 99
I just want to state once again as I have since around xMas a few times here, that I think this WWDC is going to be mind blowing and have more than a few big surprises. Also I'm not counting anything to do with Beats (which I support BTW). That would be too easy even if it does buttress my "out of left field" prediction.

I'm (still) a firm believer in "The One More Thing Magic".... 1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I just want to state once again as I have since around xMas a few times here, that I think this WWDC is going to be mind blowing and have more than a few big surprises. Also I'm not counting anything to do with Beats (which I support BTW). That would be too easy even if it does buttress my "out of left field" prediction.

I'm (still) a firm believer in "The One More Thing Magic".... 1smoking.gif

I'm hoping they bring back the "one more thing" surprise. Not sure why Phil didn't do it with the Mac Pro. If it's because of Steve, times passed.

Let's bring it!

I do want to hear "can't innovate my ass" again. That was a show stealer.

Ah crap. Just went to watch last years on the ATV. They removed it. I'll have to utube it from Google and airplay it.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 6/1/14 at 2:16am
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Not here though. You ask those questions and you're considered a troll.
post #65 of 99
Quote:

Horrible news. Is that why the stock went down today? Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Most likely the Friday sell off. Weekends are long and you don't know where you'll be on Monday.
I do wonder why Beats was so eagerly pursuing Apple, pushing Apple to acquire them. That should give people pause. There were rumors that Tony Fadell was eagerly looking for a suitor because Nest was struggling and worried about big players like Honeywell. That's one of my concerns with Beats - especially now knowing they were the ones pursing Apple and not the other way around. Why were they so eager to be acquired? I predict within a year Iovine and Dre will be gone. No way are they going to fit in with Apple's corporate culture, where what they do and say will now be restricted. Neither of them need the money and not doubt will want more freedom than working at Apple will provide them.
post #66 of 99
Quote:

Ah crap. Just went to watch last years on the ATV. They removed it. I'll have to utube it from Google and airplay it.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/apple-keynotes/id275834665?mt=2

censored

censored

post #67 of 99
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

These are three issues I have with this OS. That is why developers don't like it: Android truely doesn't like developers.

1.) adapt and overcome.

2.) adapt and overcome.

3.) adapt and overcome

It's amazing what happens when you give eight years. Eight years ago none of this existed and you're saying point and click is too much work?

Please sign up for the services, I don't believe in them anymore, but you will most definitely benefit from it.

It's a shame, but your descent into abusive language destroyed any credibility you might otherwise have had.

post #68 of 99
Quote:

I'm waiting for anything mainstream to implement any of these tech's. It's unfortunately being withheld (sorry, not used) from major developers. ..and I don't consider that horrible fist person tap game a real developer. Just me and my bad opinion though.

There are far too little developers using OpenGL than there should be. If the writing is on the wall, and a OpenGL is better, which it Is far superior, why are they not developing titles to take advantage of this.

Honestly, because every Mac besides the new MacPro is made to be hobbled by graphic performance.

I actually don't think OpenGL is superior. DirectX has been faster and more popular for a long time. But we are at a unique point in history. With the release of Mantle, AMD has people thinking about whether GPU drivers should be providing a lower level abstraction than they have in the past. And Microsoft aparently agree, with DirectX 12 being a major rewrite. So if Apple ever wanted to escape OpenGL (and it's permanent second bestness) now is the time. 

There are only 4 GPU manufacturers Apple uses: NVidia, AMD, Intel and PowerVR. Surely they could do a survey of the functionality of all four, and come up with a minimal abstract model of a GPU that encompasses all of them (minimal meaning as low level as possible) and make their driver present that to higher layers.

post #69 of 99
Mac book pro17" is back with retina display (if only)
post #70 of 99

It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with all the cool Beats hardware products.  

Headphones, Earphones, Speakers, Car Entertainment System (including amplifier and speakers).

These products are a perfect extension to Apple's current line up.   Apple should sells the 5c under the Beats brand.

Now that Apple plans to introduce its Home Automation standards, the question is who will jump on board and how does Apple make money?

Whirlpool, Honeywell, GE, Maytag, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Philips, Sony, RCA, Westinghouse, Amana, Sears, Siemens, Kwikset, Nest.

Too bad Nest sold to Google, they would have been much better off with Apple now that the ease of use playing field will be leveled.

I think they will eventually be sold.  Some at Google already want to put ads in the thermostats when they should be expending with more devices.

People will tend to buy suites of devices from the same vendor.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung gets onboard.  I think they'll have to.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 6/1/14 at 6:59am
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm just glad to see some actual things coming out of Apple...

huh? how did you miss the retina MacBook or the new mac pro over the past couple of years? or are they not "actual"?

post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

"WWDC 2014 Preview... AppleInsider takes a look at what could be in the cards when Tim Cook takes the stage on Monday."

So is it a preview... or are you guessing?

Using terms like "expected to" and "we'll probably see" doesn't lend much confidence.

this is a rumors site, it's based on speculation. how do you not know that?

post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with all the cool Beats hardware products.  
Headphones, Earphones, Speakers, Car Entertainment System (including amplifier and speakers).
These products are a perfect extension to Apple's current line up.   Apple should sells the 5c under the Beats brand.

Now that Apple plans to introduce its Home Automation standards, the question is who will jump on board and how does Apple make money?
Whirlpool, Honeywell, GE, Maytag, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Philips, Sony, RCA, Westinghouse, Amana, Sears, Siemens, Kwikset, Nest.

Too bad Nest sold to Google, they would have been much better off with Apple now that the ease of use playing field will be leveled.
I think they will eventually be sold.  Some at Google already want to put ads in the thermostats when they should be expending with more devices.

People will tend to buy suites of devices from the same vendor.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung gets onboard.  I think they'll have to.
I think Apple will sell Beats Electronics before Google ever sells Nest. There is no cool hardware coming from Beats. Unless you consider this cool:

beats-by-dre-pill-characters-on.jpg
post #74 of 99
Quote:

There is no cool hardware coming from Beats. Unless you consider this cool:

[image]]

Stop being an ass.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Stop being an ass.
I think it's laughable to say Beats has cool hardware. Just because Dre and Iovine got celebrities to be seen with Beats doesn't make them cool. I can see Samsung thinking that way, not Apple.
post #76 of 99
Quote:

I think it's laughable to say Beats has cool hardware. Just because Dre and Iovine got celebrities to be seen with Beats doesn't make them cool. I can see Samsung thinking that way, not Apple.

1) It would be one thing to make that argument when the acquisition was just a rumour but now that it's official the intelligent thing to do is to not make stupid comments by finding the least cool picture then implying that is the coolest thing they offer but instead trying to see this from Apple's PoV.

2) I think these are very sharp looking. Much nicer in both look and construction than any of the white phones Apple has ever sold.

post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Mac book pro17" is back with retina display (if only)

That could happen. Coupled with low unit sales the technology cost issue was probably a big factor in not releasing a 17" Retina MBP. I think the first Retina MBP launched in 2012 so we may be at a point again where it's financially advantageous for Apple to offer that size notebook again. Now that they are so much lighter than years past it might even be more popular and do I happen to know several that want one.

Also note that the 17" MBP has lagged behind other MBPs after a casing change. IT was not by several years, I think a few months, but it was always seemed like a back of the burner product for Apple.I'm not saying get your hopes up but I can see foresee a path that would allow it come back into the lineup.

post #78 of 99
Quote:

1) It would be one thing to make that argument when the acquisition was just a rumour but now that it's official the intelligent thing to do is to not make stupid comments by finding the least cool picture then implying that is the coolest thing they offer but instead trying to see this from Apple's PoV.

2) I think these are very sharp looking. Much nicer in both look and construction than any of the white phones Apple has ever sold.

Except I've never has Apple earphones break on me, and I've had two pair of Beats in ear headphones where the cord frayed. And frayed soon after I got them. I actually hope Apple sells off the headphone business since it's pretty clear that's not why they bought Beats.
post #79 of 99
Quote:

Check the Podcasts on your AppleTV... "Apple Keynotes" is in there.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #80 of 99
Quote:

Stop being an ass.

Stop feeding the trolls.

I've blocked a couple of them, but you people keep responding to them, so, unfortunately I still see their damned posts! >:-(

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones