or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014

Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014

post #1 of 70
In addition to the "8" and "X" banners referring to the upcoming releases of iOS 8 and the next version of OS X, Apple has additional banners at WWDC that are still under wraps.

Apple has opened the ground floor of Moscone Center to early registration, but isn't letting anyone upstairs. It's the ground floor where the main banners (above) are hanging.

In the two levels above, Apple has additional banners, but they're still covered up. While the floors aren't accessible to outsiders (or even registered attendees yet), is has been possible to catch a sneak peak in previous years by trespassing on the top floor of the Fifth and Mission parking garage, which is technically closed.

The tops of additional banners on the higher floors are partially visible from outside (above, and enhanced), but those banners are still covered up.

In previous years, Apple has hung both unobstructed banners for supporting technologies like AirPlay, and additional secret banners that remained cloaked until the Keynote disclosed new initiatives. It looks like 2014 will be a year where a few more secrets are revealed.
post #2 of 70
The new ii. Like a real pair of glasses.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 70
I've always wondered about the logistics of how they unveil those hidden banners.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 70
Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.
post #5 of 70

Maybe an Xcode 6 banner?

post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.

Don't worry. It does not matter what will be announced. It will be viewed at least as underwhelming as the last ten years of WWDC's. During which the company has been on a tear that has made the stock fortyfold or so in price. Along with hit product after hit product:

http://www.technologizer.com/2014/06/01/wwdc/

In fact, let's all *hope* that this years WWDC will actually be *at least* as underwhelming as any of them. Then we will *know* that Apple is still doing just fine.

post #7 of 70
What did Apple have covered up last year?
post #8 of 70

But Apple has NEVER covered its banners before. ;)

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #9 of 70
Much ado about nothing! Let us know when you find out what they say...
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferry View Post

Much ado about nothing! Let us know when you find out what they say...

Are you kidding? Each banner will get 5 article written about it come Monday¡

post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Last year one of the covered banners was an iPhone with an iOS 7 home screen.
post #12 of 70
Oooh I hope it's the iSponge.
post #13 of 70
Quote:

Yeah, who cares about new versions of Apple's desktop and mobile platforms, which underpin and are contained in every single product that they make.  How utterly underwhelming, even though you don't even have a clue of what changes will be shown in OSX/iOS? Amazing. 

The great thing is people like you proclaim every WWDC to be the most underwhelming of all time- I don't remember one which wasn't claimed to be so - and yet, here we are with Apple as the most successful company on the planet. Maybe you should start your own company, since Apple can never seem to meet your special standards. 

post #14 of 70

I have the solution to the subscription/download quandary that you've all been waiting to hear with bated breath.

Possibly in association with iTunes Match, a monthly and an annual subscription are offered. The monthly one offers unlimited streaming of all the music on the iTunes Store but no downloads. The annual one offers unlimited streaming plus a certain number of downloads per month which can be kept forever even if the subscription stops. The downloads are either free or substantially discounted.

This way, one can dip in if not sure of taking the plunge; otherwise, for a fairly modest fee - probably just a little more than iTunes Match currently costs - one has access to the whole music library of 36 million tracks at your fingertips. Those who wish to own favoured tunes are catered to, those who wish to devour the vast iTunes back catalogue are sated, and the music industry is injected with new vitality and flourishes, revived once again by its guardian angel, Apple.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #15 of 70

EXCLUSIVE! AppleInsider has posted photos of black tarps and doesn't know what's behind them.

BREAKING! There is signage beneath the tarps. AppleInsider has no information about these signs.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 70
I have a feeling of an iwatch.
post #17 of 70
Crap! I can't wait to see the keynote!
post #18 of 70
вannerѕ are alwayѕ ғor oѕ. ѕo... new oѕ ғor ιwaтcн or ιтv? тнen yoυ нave тo wrιтe тнe code тo cнange тнe world.
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last year one of the covered banners was an iPhone with an iOS 7 home screen.

Yeah, last year they had two hidden banners, and after iOS 7 and Mavericks were announced, they each had a banner. iOS banner showed a few iPhones showing off control centre and some redesigned apps, and the Mavericks banner was similar to the tease, the big white X over the wave wallpaper, but it said 'OS X Mavericks - Power to the Desktop'

So these secret banners really don't mean secret products. I would love them to, but don't get your hopes up.
post #20 of 70
Quote:

I've always wondered about the logistics of how they unveil those hidden banners.

They are unveiled during the keynote. Just before people leave and after all announcements. So the attendees will leave the keynote to see them but of course they know what's in there by then.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #21 of 70
Typo! In the last paragraph change were to where !
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

Yeah, last year they had two hidden banners, and after iOS 7 and Mavericks were announced, they each had a banner. iOS banner showed a few iPhones showing off control centre and some redesigned apps, and the Mavericks banner was similar to the tease, the big white X over the wave wallpaper, but it said 'OS X Mavericks - Power to the Desktop'

So these secret banners really don't mean secret products. I would love them to, but don't get your hopes up.

But... Given that OS X banner is visible this year they probably are new products or a new look, or new apps etc. Thinking health book.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They are unveiled during the keynote. Just before people leave and after all announcements. So the attendees will leave the keynote to see them but of course they know what's in there by then.

I get that but I wonder how they are orchestrated. Are these Moscone or Apple employees removing the banners. Do they use a lift or have they rigged some other mechanism to do it with ease. You probably need 2 to make this happen for safety reasons. If they are Moscone employees are they privy to what's behind it (whomever made the banners knows what they say; does Apple make these in-house for added security?).

How do they get the go ahead to remove it. Are they sent a radio or text message from someone from Apple watching the event who is given a command to relay the message once that portion of the keynote starts or just after that portion ends. Or does someone from Apple walk and give the command directly and let them know which banner to remove?

Is this information relayed through several people before getting to the staff that actually remove it? Is this series of events protocols set up by Apple or has Moscone setup their own system as Apple might be the only one that wants this sort of setup?

Several of these questions I lean heavily to one answer but it's simply not something we can know.

post #24 of 70
Quote:

Many here, including myself, think that WWDC 2014 is shaping up to be fully whelmed.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I have the solution to the subscription/download quandary that you've all been waiting to hear with bated breath.

Possibly in association with iTunes Match, a monthly and an annual subscription are offered. The monthly one offers unlimited streaming of all the music on the iTunes Store but no downloads. The annual one offers unlimited streaming plus a certain number of downloads per month which can be kept forever even if the subscription stops. The downloads are either free or substantially discounted.

This way, one can dip in if not sure of taking the plunge; otherwise, for a fairly modest fee - probably just a little more than iTunes Match currently costs - one has access to the whole music library of 36 million tracks at your fingertips. Those who wish to own favoured tunes are catered to, those who wish to devour the vast iTunes back catalogue are sated, and the music industry is injected with new vitality and flourishes, revived once again by its guardian angel, Apple.

... She shall have music wherever she goes!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #26 of 70
Quote:

I get that but I wonder how they are orchestrated. Are these Moscone or Apple employees removing the banners. Do they use a lift or have they rigged some other mechanism to do it with ease. You probably need 2 to make this happen for safety reasons. If they are Moscone employees are they privy to what's behind it (whomever made the banners knows what they say; does Apple make these in-house for added security?).

How do they get the go ahead to remove it. Are they sent a radio or text message from someone from Apple watching the event who is given a command to relay the message once that portion of the keynote starts or just after that portion ends. Or does someone from Apple walk and give the command directly and let them know which banner to remove?

Is this information relayed through several people before getting to the staff that actually remove it? Is this series of events protocols set up by Apple or has Moscone setup their own system as Apple might be the only one that wants this sort of setup?

Several of these questions I lean heavily to one answer but it's simply not something we can know.

I was at a WWDC in San Jose once, back when it was easy to go to ( I got in free because I knew Apple employees ) and the guys taking down the posters were employees of the venue not Apple. I had left to go out about an hour and a bit into it and didn't bother going back in. Anyways I forget what was unveiled but it looked like they just took the coverings off at a few minutes before the hour. Not an uncovering for every announcement as it happened. I don't even remember what that WWDC was about but it was pre-OS X.
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There is no way the music industry would agree to a licensing term that would be cheap enough to allow apple to offer a streaming service like you described (which is basically rhapsody / remmants of napster) for "a little more" than $25 / year. What is more likely and feasible is that they integrate the $500 million purchase of Beats music into iTunes and work to negotiate similar terms for the entire iTunes library. Something along the lines of $9.99 / month or $100 / year for an individual, or partially subsidized for a family plan by a carrier like what Beats is doing with AT&T for up to 5 people. This last piece is where I see Apple needing the most growth and innovation, dealing with Family models. This is something that needs to be tackled at some point for all of their services (music, movies, TV, books, apps, etc.) for both iOS and OS X. It's a simple prospect for something like a streaming service like Beats, however this gets much more complicated with their other offerings that are purchased content.

-PopinFRESH

post #28 of 70
Quote:

But... Given that OS X banner is visible this year they probably are new products or a new look, or new apps etc. Thinking health book.

Last year there was an OS X banner like this year, and then they uncovered another one very similar with the name 'Mavericks' on it, which was obviously not the original banner because the name was a surprise. So there were two for OSX. Who knows, it could be anything, but last year there was a banner with a hint for each OS update and then another banner for each with a preview, making a total of 4.
post #29 of 70
Really? I thought all banners were covered last year ?
post #30 of 70
Quote:

Nope, Just like this year a simple banner with just the X as well as a banner with just a 7 for iOS on a white doted background.

EDIT: Then they uncovered the OS X banner with the name on it.

-PopinFRESH

post #31 of 70
Quote:

Happily, the Apple Insider banner is still around, and the victim is drblank. 😃

post #32 of 70
Quote:

Having worked a lot of trade shows I would guess that the banners are installed by GES or whoever the trade show management company is. For security they have only their most trusted employees work on it. If it is GES, they print and install the banners themselves. They are totally trustworthy. 

I remember years ago I was at their facility where I usually just walked right in since I had a badge as a client, however this time there was lots of security and I could not pass. Turns out that was because they were producing banners for the announcement of the new Anaheim Ducks and no one was allowed in the color graphics department except the GES people.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Having worked a lot of trade shows I would guess that the banners are installed by GES or whoever the trade show management company is. For security they have only their most trusted employees work on it. If it is GES, they print and install the banners themselves. They are totally trustworthy. 

I remember years ago I was at their facility where I usually just walked right in since I had a badge as a client, however this time there was lots of security and I could not pass. Turns out that was because they were producing banners for the announcement of the new Anaheim Ducks and no one was allowed in the color graphics department except the GES people.

I wouldn't doubt that mstone. GES is one of the largest expo services companies that could handle all of the services in-house. Another potential is that Apple could have the materials produced by TBWA/Media Arts Lab and then the installment work done by another expo services contractor like Regal (who wear maroon shirts). However this would tend to have more hands in the honey pot, and I would consider GES far more trustworthy than Regal, for both disclosure purposes as well as installation.

-PopinFRESH

post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Ha! The only "insiders" I ever dealt with were "lumpers" when we had a booth at the 1979 Computer Faire.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #35 of 70
Likely apps or new products like maybe Apple TV 4.
post #36 of 70
Quote:

And wait until you read the ten year retrospective on poster grommets from Dan Dilger. It'll be a 3,000 word masterpiece!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 70

Off Topic, but thought people might like to know:

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 is apparently dead. All you get when you try to go to the old link is an archive of the old stories - minus ALL of the old comments.

However, PED is still posting on Fortune, and you can go to the Apple section with the following url:

http://fortune.com/tag/apple/

post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Off Topic, but thought people might like to know:

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 is apparently dead. All you get when you try to go to the old link is an archive of the old stories - minus ALL of the old comments.
However, PED is still posting on Fortune, and you can go to the Apple section with the following url:
http://fortune.com/tag/apple/

I'm not understanding what you're getting at. If I go to http://fortune.com/tech/ and click on any story it comes up blank. It sounds like they have a bug.

post #39 of 70
post #40 of 70
Quote:

He said it moved on twitter.

https://twitter.com/philiped/status/473239461367521280

But that just points to the same link he posted. However a comment mentioned ad blockers which when disabled will load the results properly.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/1/14 at 6:28pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014