or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

post #1 of 131
Apple on Monday officially took the wraps off the next major software release for Mac, a redesigned and enhanced version of the OS X platform dubbed "Yosemite," bringing much of the cleaner, modern look of iOS to the Mac.

Named after the California national park, Yosemite will be available later this fall, and end users will be able to sign up for a public beta program in the summer. As with Mavericks, the Yosemite update will be free.

Apple software chief Craig Federighi showcased new "translucent materials" in the redesigned operating system, which also features bright colors and new icons. The translucent material extends to many areas of the operating system, with a demonstration showing it reacting to the background image in the sidebar of Messages and Finder. The effect is similar to the translucency introduced in iOS 7.

Apple also focused on "precise and consistent" fonts throughout the OS, eschewing their traditional Lucida Grande typeface in favor of a new sans-serif that appears to be a Helvetica variant.

Yosemite also comes with a new "dark mode," which turns the normally-light gray menu bars and dock to a darker gray, while Notification Center has been updated with a new Today View that can be extended with widgets and apps from the Mac App Store.

It's not yet known whether the appearance of widgets in Notification Center spells the end of the Dashboard. One of the widgets shown during a demonstration was ESPN SportsCenter, long a popular Dashboard widget.

Spotlight has been enhanced with its own translucent search box that pops up into the middle of the screen, rather than being docked to the menu bar. It can be used to quickly open apps or access documents, while it can also tap into information from the Internet, including news feeds, Wikipedia pages, Maps, Yelp reviews and movie times. The additional information is displayed directly in Spotlight, allowing the user to get information without switching applications.

Mail has also been updated in Yosemite, including a notable new feature dubbed "Mail Drop." Mail Drop addresses issues with large file attachments by hosting them in Apple's new iCloud Drive, hosting files up to 5 gigabytes in size which can be accessed by users in any mail client.

Mail also gains "Markup," which adds the ability to draw notes on attachments included in emails. Users can add signatures or text annotations, and Markup will recognize hand-drawn shapes like arrows and automatically change them to neat vectorized versions.

A new "Tab View" in Safari gives users the ability to quickly glance what they have open, while new private windows can be created separately from an already-open window. Users can also scroll through open tabs smoothly in the new Safari.

Safari also gains HTML5 Premium Video, which supports services like Netflix without plugins, adding up to 2 hours of additional battery life during playback.

Additionally, new Continuity features in OS X add greater integration between iOS and OS X. Macs can now automatically configure hotspots from connected iPhones, for instance, and both operating systems give users the ability to automatically continue working across devices in first-party apps like Numbers and Safari.

Continuity also extends to phone functionality. SMS messages can now be sent and received in Messages on the Mac, while OS X also allows users to make and receive phone calls from their laptop or desktop.

post #2 of 131
Gorgeous UI.
post #3 of 131
WTF??!! Welcome to Windows 8 of the Apple world!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #4 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

WTF??!! Welcome to Windows 8 of the Apple world!!

One more thing...what's up with these GUI designers these days? Too damn over simplified for my liking. May as well go back to 256 colours.

post #5 of 131
Quote:

One more thing...what's up with these GUI designers these days? Too damn over simplified for my liking. May as well go back to 256 colours.

clean ≠ simple

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #6 of 131

It looks like the screenshot leaks on the other Apple sites and Reddit were legit after all.

post #7 of 131
Can't wait to get back from Alaska and see all this on something larger than an iPhone!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #8 of 131

Apple is really doing it correctly. They're adding on great functionality without upheavals. I like the big new search box.

*Compare that to Win 8 zig azg and trying to recover from that.

post #9 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It looks like the screenshot leaks on the other Apple sites and Reddit were legit after all.

Uhh- they were dead wrong, in fact.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

clean ≠ simple

Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

post #11 of 131

Looking forward to the Finder Dark Mode and being able to call Dr. Dre via the Mac.

post #12 of 131
Quote:

Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

You want overly and unnecessarily complex?  Go use Microsoft.

And it's Kindergarten.  Maybe you should go back to there too...

post #13 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Uhh- they were dead wrong, in fact.

Agreed. The icons are complex, but clean. The menus/fonts are all consistent and clean. The UI is consistently hidden until needed.

This is a beautifully and minimalistic UI.

Steve would be proud of the many NeXT philosophies in 10.10. Keith Ohlfs would be proud.

Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

post #14 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. The icons are complex, but clean. The menus/fonts are all consistent and clean. The UI is consistently hidden until needed.

This is a beautifully and minimalistic UI.

Steve would be proud of the many NeXT philosophies in 10.10. Keith Ohlfs would be proud.

Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

Not to mention every icon was wrong- iTunes, Safari, Maps, Trash Can, Settings- Why am I going on? Everything was wrong, really.

post #15 of 131
The colours and the graphics remind me of Windows XP! Don't know what to make of that at the moment....whether I like it of not?

I've just looked at more screen shots of Yosemite...don't like the look of the new Dock, too much grey space between the app icons, still prefer the more tightly packed and 3D effect of the current Dock.
Edited by 1983 - 6/2/14 at 11:03am
post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

The colours and the graphics remind me of Windows XP! Don't know what to make of that at the moment....whether I like it of not?

I disagree- it's so minor of a UI change, really.  iOS 6 to 7 was Night and Day.  This is more Dawn and Day.

Regardless- the big news is spotlight starting to do what web browsers do.  By OSX 10.11, it'll be its own search engine.  Prepare yourself Google.

post #17 of 131
System requirements?
post #18 of 131
Quote:

You want overly and unnecessarily complex?  Go use Microsoft.

And it's Kindergarten.  Maybe you should go back to there too...

Aw, did I hurt your feelings? I use Windows and have for years but I sure wouldn't use Windows 8. In fact it looks like some of Windows 8 was copied into OS 10.10. I'll still with Windows 7 and when it comes to Apple, Mavericks will do. Btw, I've used Apple products for many years.

post #19 of 131
So far this is the best WWDC I can remember. So many of my longterm desires are finally materializing.

post #20 of 131
Quote:

Aw, did I hurt your feelings? I use Windows and have for years but I sure wouldn't use Windows 8. In fact it looks like some of Windows 8 was copied into OS 10.10. I'll still with Windows 7 and when it comes to Apple, Mavericks will do. Btw, I've used Apple products for many years.

I was wondering when you were gonna use that card :err:

post #21 of 131
The new UI is going to take time getting used to. The white trash can is really hideous. Flat dock from Tiger days is a regression in my opinion.

I like the new features on the other hand.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #22 of 131

I like some of the new functionality, but, like others above, the UI does not impress me at all.  

Translucency?  They better make sure that kind of unneeded irritation can be turned off.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #23 of 131

Apple's giving up on cats?

post #24 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Welcome to WWDC 2013!

post #25 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

where we're you last year. You do know Mavericks isn't a cat an Apple explained all that at WWDC last year right?
post #26 of 131
Quote:

Have you used Windows 8 recently?  I was Windows7 all the way up until they came out with their Win8.1 update 1 release.  Windows 8 is (finally) a worthy upgrade to Windows 7 at it's current release.  They made it more mouse/keyboard friendly.  I started using Windows 8 almost exclusively now, and it has been rock-solid stable.  Windows 7 has just about been relegated to the dust bin for me.

The one thing I still don't like about Win 8 is the way it attempts to hijack my local account when I tried using the app store.  I tell people NOT to sign in with an email address, but as a local user and avoid using the app store.  I hate that I have to enter an email address/password to get in to my PC.  That prevents me giving it a 100% recommendation.  They should only require it for App store purchases/downloads, but not create an entire account from it.  That would make a complete mess on the enterprise level I would think.

This of course, is all done via VMWare's Fusion on both my macs.  

post #27 of 131
Frederighi is bloody brilliant.
post #28 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Frederighi is bloody brilliant.

I am enjoying the additional jokes at this WWDC but I felt the backstage video was too campy.

post #29 of 131

It looks stunning. 

post #30 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I am enjoying the additional jokes at this WWDC but I felt the backstage video was too campy.

Remember Steve’s front-stage event of having Phil jump off the stage with an iBook? And the “magician” bit with the hula hoop?

post #31 of 131
Quote:

They blend in the background into the foreground blurring any information together making it useless.

post #32 of 131
How about more under the hood improvements? how about a more modern filesystem for example? or we have to wait for 10.11 and this is just a maintenance release?
How about Maps and iOS maps with public transport timetables? How about FaceTime calls that do not show missed calls among different device if I take the call on one of them?
This WWDC is a bit of a let down.
And I am not even commenting on the total lack of announcements for new hardware.
post #33 of 131
Originally Posted by pakitt View Post
This WWDC is a bit of a let down.

Come off it.

And I am not even commenting on the total lack of announcements for new hardware.

Shut up.

post #34 of 131
Quote:

What's that old saying about having nothing good to say?

So... why are you typing again? :???:

post #35 of 131

While I find some of the new features, as well as the interface changes likable, I can't seem to like that new dock. For me, it's regression to the days of OS X Tiger. I don't like it, it's TOO minimalistic (nitpicking of course). I think they could've evolved the icons as it did, keeping the stylish 3-Dish dock that was introduced with Leopard. I think it just works, and it would've worked perfectly even with the minimalistic (mobile) approach Apple is taking. I want OS to feel like a desktop computer, not a big mobile device... and this is where the design has headed. The days when OS X inspired the iPhone interface are long gone, now it's the opposite. There's no telling apart a computer from a mobile when it comes to Apple, their devices, in my opinion, should've kept their own "spirit" if I dare say. Otherwise, the features are impressive, just not completely convinced with the design approaches the Mac is taking.

post #36 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why did YOU post, then?

Someone...not something. I have an opinion just like anyone. Doesn't mean we have to agree all the time or start a pissing contest when we don't.

If you want to be in a meaningful conversation...fine. If not...see ya!!

post #37 of 131
Someone...not something. I have an opinion just like anyone.

That’s a funny little loophole. “You can say anything about about something, but not someone.”

Guess what, boyo? To me, you’re just pixels and digits. Those’re things.

Doesn’t mean we have to agree…

That’s correct. You don’t have to be right in any capacity. You can take the lying, incorrect route all you want, and I don’t have to agree with it.

post #38 of 131
Quote:

So... why are you typing again? :???:

Do you not have something better to do with your time than criticize someone that doesn't agree with you? Sorry, I have work to do. See you too in the funny pages. ;)

post #39 of 131
Do you not have something better to do with your time than criticize someone that doesn't agree with you?

Again, WHY are you on this website?

Sorry, I have work to do. See you too in the funny pages. ;)

Ah, the old standby. “I’m leaving, therefore I’m right.” Not sure how you’re expected to get that $0.50 per post if you leave, though.

post #40 of 131

Just a heads up, the OS X Yosemite beta sign up is live. First million who sign up get in on the beta. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity