or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity - Page 4

post #121 of 131

Great, thank you so much PopinFRESH! :)

post #122 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhowes View Post

I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps.

Try booting in safe mode holding shift at startup and see if it still does it there. Safe mode will flush out your caches and OS X will rebuild them when you reboot again.
post #123 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

How do you get in touch with Apple to give them feedback?  The thought of being stuck with Helvetica Neue instead of Lucida Grande is really bothering me from a legibility standpoint.  Mac is not supposed to have inferior typography to Windows.  Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave.  We're moving from a font that looks great on Retina and good on standard definition, to a font that looks barely OK on Retina and horrible on standard definition.  I at least want the option to stay put.  That surely shouldn't be too hard, right?

I've already had to "tame" Helvetica Neue on my iPad by choosing the bold version.  But on a desktop OS the font is far more significant.  Surely we ought to be able to choose.

I'm assuming you have a developer membership and are running the OS X 10.10 Developer Preview. If so you will want to login to your developer account and go to the bugtracker / feature request section. I've included the link which should prompt you to login and then continue to the relevant page.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/mac/

-PopinFRESH

post #124 of 131
Quote:

Hi All,

Like one early commenter, I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps. Its driving me nuts and will force me to switch back to Mavericks soon - something I want to avoid as I like Yosemite already for multiple reasons.

Is everyone experiencing this? I have an i7 MacBook pro (retina) with 8GB of memory and it doesn't looked like a performance issue if Activity Monitor is anything to go by.

If others are not experiencing this I might try a clean install
Richard

I accessed the video on the Apple site - no problem. My MBP is so old that it runs off of coal, so don't know what you may be having going on. I've NEVER Had to do a clean install and I've been Maccing along since the 128k Mac in 1894. Probably need to zap your PRAM.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #125 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

But it could happen, no? I suppose that Apple will figure out a way.

It has nothing to do with "figuring out a way". It's a dumb idea and Apple is not up for dumb ideas.
post #126 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I accessed the video on the Apple site - no problem. My MBP is so old that it runs off of coal, so don't know what you may be having going on. I've NEVER Had to do a clean install and I've been Maccing along since the 128k Mac in 1894. Probably need to zap your PRAM.

He was talking about running the OS X 10.10 Developer Preview, not watching the video. A lot of people are having this same issue upgrading from Mavericks -> Yosemite. A lot of them are having more success doing a clean install of Yosemite, but there are still lots of bugs.

Also, I know Apple is innovative but I'm pretty sure they didn't make a computer before Mr. Ford made Cars affordable. Unless, your real name is Martin McFly? :)

-PopinFRESH

post #127 of 131
Looks Great - Works Great = IT JUST WORKS !
post #128 of 131
Quote:

Hi All,

Like one early commenter, I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps. Its driving me nuts and will force me to switch back to Mavericks soon - something I want to avoid as I like Yosemite already for multiple reasons.

Is everyone experiencing this? I have an i7 MacBook pro (retina) with 8GB of memory and it doesn't looked like a performance issue if Activity Monitor is anything to go by.

If others are not experiencing this I might try a clean install.

You didn't mention checking Disk Utility. Before my installation of Yosemite my system was fine, but after I had many blocks with incorrect counts. Had to ⌘-R and Repair Disk. Note: I wasn't having any specific issues before that, I just checked as a preemptive measure of using Developer Previews.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #129 of 131

It was Little Snitch causing the problems in my case. Uninstalled and performance is MUCH better. There is a compatible nightly build apparently but I haven't tried it.

post #130 of 131
It was Little Snitch causing the problems in my case.

Oh yeah. They totally break network access every time a new OS is released.

post #131 of 131
Can't wait to get back from Ala
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Do you really want to come back? Alaska is one of those places I've always wanted to visit.

It is beautiful ... 1smile.gif It was just that I'd never been so far away from high speed internet during a WWDC before (since there has been high speed internet that is ...)
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity