or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity - Page 2

post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post
 

Just a heads up, the OS X Yosemite beta sign up is live. First million who sign up get in on the beta. 

Whats the link?

 

I thought it was apple.com/osx/preview but that just loads the mavericks page. 

 

 

EDIT....Nevermind...I had to clear my cache out and then it loaded. 


Edited by macxpress - 6/2/14 at 12:34pm

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

Whats the link?

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram

post #43 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

Whats the link?

 

I thought it was apple.com/osx/preview but that just loads the mavericks page. 

Odd it won't load up on my iMac but the Yosemite loads up on my iPad. 

post #44 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


clean ≠ simple


Well said!

post #45 of 131
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
Whats the link?

 

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

 

The link is ON the Yosemite page, at the bottom.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post
 

Odd it won't load up on my iMac but the Yosemite loads up on my iPad. 

 

Clear the cache on the Mac...thats what I had to do. It kept loading the Mavericks page for me until I cleared out my Safari Cache.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #47 of 131

I wonder if you were already signed up for the Mavericks Public Betas if you're already signed up for the Yosemite ones? I signed up for the Yosemite ones anyways, but I was just wondering. Kinda looks like its a separate thing. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #48 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

I like some of the new functionality, but, like others above, the UI does not impress me at all.  

 

Translucency?  They better make sure that kind of unneeded irritation can be turned off.


My sentiments exactly. Didn't we already do translucency? They're making it sound like it is this new revelation.

post #49 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

Clear the cache on the Mac...thats what I had to do. It kept loading the Mavericks page for me until I cleared out my Safari Cache.

That was my problem. I totally forgot about clearing the cache. 

post #50 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Gorgeous UI.

 

Best news of the day by far - the rest of the keynote was a total downer, with the single worst moment to be credited to "Dr Dre"'s ridiculous phone participation; probably the worst keynote since Gil Amelio's pathetic 3-hour MWSF presentation in 1997.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #51 of 131
I can honestly say the new features of OSX, and its visual refresh exceeded all my expectations. Features are practical, useful, well implemented, thoughtful, and slick- and OSX now finally looks ultra-modern, with the look carefully updated and not blindly skinned like iOS. Absolutely LOVE the look of the new dock icons, and the fact that they didnt just duplicate the iOS7 ones but thoughtfully refreshed the OSX style. Also love the consistency of everything. Just fucking brilliant. The synergy between iOS and OSX is also off-the charts, implementing things I only imagined but never thought they would do (SMS in OSX, calling from OSX, etc. )

I've never had more faith in Apple than I do after this keynote. They're the completely opposite of "confused, uncertain, and lost" as some opportunistic, thick-headed trolls want you to believe.
post #52 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post
 

Looking forward to the Finder Dark Mode and being able to call Dr. Dre via the Mac.

Buy a new Mac?  Get 5 free calls to Dr. Dre during normal rapper hours.

post #53 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can honestly say the new features of OSX, and its visual refresh exceeded all my expectations. Features are practical, useful, well implemented, thoughtful, and slick- and OSX now finally looks ultra-modern, with the look carefully updated and not blindly skinned like iOS. Absolutely LOVE the look of the new dock icons, and the fact that they didnt just duplicate the iOS7 ones but thoughtfully refreshed the OSX style. Also love the consistency of everything. Just fucking brilliant. The synergy between iOS and OSX is also off-the charts, implementing things I only imagined but never thought they would do (SMS in OSX, calling from OSX, etc. )

I've never had more faith in Apple than I do after this keynote. They're the completely opposite of "confused, uncertain, and lost" as some opportunistic, thick-headed trolls want you to believe.

 

As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #54 of 131
Does anyone know the hardware requirements for Yosemite?
post #55 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Frederighi is bloody brilliant.

 

This x1000

 

The guy has stunningly good presentation skills, and seems like a genius to boot. Couldn't be happier that he now is in charge of both OSX and iOS. He basically owned the entire keynote. I can see this guy being Apple's next CEO, if he wants it. He certainly has the perspective, wisdom, and skills. The fact that Frederighini is given such a chance to shine is also a testament to Cook's leadership skills. 

post #56 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 

Oh look, clean and simple round icons - Apple's copied Samsung's Tizen:

 

{Screenshot omitted because it made my eyes bleed }

 

And no, Apple did not have them in iOS first - as Dilger claimed - they were demonstrated in a Tizen beta before iOS was ever demoed.

 

Doesn't matter of course, no one has a patent on circles.


They are round but not clean. 

post #57 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 
Best news of the day by far - the rest of the keynote was a total downer, with the single worst moment to be credited to "Dr Dre"'s ridiculous phone participation; probably the worst keynote since Gil Amelio's pathetic 3-hour MWSF presentation in 1997.

 

I thought it was one of the best ever Apple presentations.

 

Here is a list of the stuff you call pretty much crap:

 

Improved Notifications and Widgets
Improved Spotlight
Improved Safari
Mail Gets Markup
iCloud Drive
Handoff Syncs Work Across Devices
Airdrop Between iOs and Mac
Instant Hotspot
Text and Phone Calls Across Devices
Interactive Notifications
New Spotlight iOS
3rd Party Keyboards
Messages Gets Audio and Video Chat
Healthkit 
Family Sharing
New Photos App
Siri with Shazam & Hands free 
Swift
Extensions, Widgets interapp communication
Homekit 
Bundled Apps

Metal GPU integration    

 

Probably quite a few more, too many to remember.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 131

Wow, what a wonderful release!!!! Truly!!! 

 

I just wish Mail was finally able to process flag for later, the only item from Outlook I miss in Mail! :( 

post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
 

Buy a new Mac?  Get 5 free calls to Dr. Dre during normal rapper hours.

 

So, 7pm–2am? Was hoping Dre could drop some rhymes about multi-threading.

post #60 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

 

 

I thought it was one of the best ever Apple presentations.

 

Here is a list of the stuff you call pretty much crap:

 

Improved Notifications and Widgets
Improved Spotlight
Improved Safari
Mail Gets Markup
iCloud Drive
Handoff Syncs Work Across Devices
Airdrop Between iOs and Mac
Instant Hotspot
Text and Phone Calls Across Devices
Interactive Notifications
New Spotlight iOS
3rd Party Keyboards
Messages Gets Audio and Video Chat
Healthkit 
Family Sharing
New Photos App
Siri with Shazam & Hands free 
Swift
Extensions, Widgets interapp communication
Homekit 
Bundled Apps

Metal GPU integration    

 

Probably quite a few more, too many to remember.

 

I don't think you understood what I said. I was really happy about the OS X announcements, so this covers pretty much over half of your list; as for the rest, not much apart from third-party keyboards and Metal.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #61 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 
I don't think you understood what I said. I was really happy about the OS X announcements, so this covers pretty much over half of your list; as for the rest, not much apart from third-party keyboards and Metal.

Well excuse me. I read that aside from the OS X UI improvements everything else was crap. Plus, your comment about it being the worst ever keynote left me thinking that nothing in my list was something that you thought was worthwhile as they are not really UI related but feature related. In my opinion the subtle UI changes were the least significant of all the announcements.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #62 of 131

On the whole, I'm loving the new look.  Especially like how they've integrated Dashboard widgets into the Notification Centre and the clean UI.  However, I'm not liking that the Zoom button is now the fullscreen button (it was annoying enough when they removed the 'pill' button to hide the toolbar from Lion and now this too!).  Also, I wish Apple would get rid of the dumb blue folder icon and make it more intelligent - why not display a stacks icon instead (as used on the Dock)?

post #63 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Well excuse me. I read that aside from the OS X UI improvements everything else was crap. Plus, your comment about it being the worst ever keynote left me thinking that nothing in my list was something that you thought was worthwhile as they are not really UI related but feature related. In my opinion the subtle UI changes were the least significant of all the announcements.

 

My bad - read "UI" as "OS X-related".

 

My comment on the keynote itself refers mainly to the extremely long and overly-boring tone of the presentations apart from what Federighi did OS X-wise (a masterful job, I must say). Besides, absolutely no hardware was announced and a whole bunch of things talked about concerned only the most nerdy of developers.

 

I know, I know: people are gonna say "but this is WWDC!!!" - it's just that, during SJ's years, the keynote served REALLY as a showroom for new consumer-oriented Apple things; they normally did NOT spend time talking about one hundred different APIs. Definitely a change of tone to cater to those making money off the App Store.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #64 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 

Oh look, clean and simple round icons - Apple's copied Samsung's Tizen:

 

And no, Apple did not have them in iOS first - as Dilger claimed - they were demonstrated in a Tizen beta before iOS was ever demoed.

 

Doesn't matter of course, no one has a patent on circles.

 

Tizen initial release 2012.

 

iTunes 2010

 

Things from OSX go to iOS, things from iOS go to OSX. Are you trying to tell me that there is no circle icons in iOS before 2012.

post #65 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by initiator View Post


My sentiments exactly. Didn't we already do translucency? They're making it sound like it is this new revelation.


Translucency, that's what all the politicians promise. Well, actually they promise transparency, but I'd settle for translucency.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #66 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzig1984 View Post

Does anyone know the hardware requirements for Yosemite?

Intel processor... and 16 jiggawatts of memory.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post
 


Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


clean ≠ simple

 

Agreed VZ. What some people see as clean and elegant design I see as plain, unimaginative and boring. I've worked as a graphic designer for close to 20 years and can appreciate a clean, minimalist aesthetic. That is not really what I see with the iOS 7 user interface, which is now invading the Mac OS. To me the "design" of the iOS 7 looks, cheap, amateurish, and as others have commented, very Windows-like. Not to mention the fact that with ever new UI release it seems to become more tedious to do things. What use to take one click now takes two clicks and a swipe, etc. It seems like the folks who knew what they were doing regarding UI design are no longer on the OS X and iOS development teams. That's a shame.

post #68 of 131
Great- now all my Apple products look like Windowz machines. Thanks Jony.
Did they at least change the friggin beach ball of death? Make it a spinning plate?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #69 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

I noticed that too, what's up with the double cog in iOS? The icon spacing seems better in Yosemite too. I was expecting rounded rectangles though.

Font change should be good, I guess this will be Helvetica Neue or Avenir.

I prefer the 2D Dock. I'm not a huge fan of the overuse of translucency but the inverted black menu is a nice option.
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


Translucency, that's what all the politicians promise. Well, actually they promise transparency, but I'd settle for translucency.

 

I'd settle for character!

 

On Topic:  I wonder what the age of the average Mac OS user is?  Would this have bearing upon the design of the UI?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #71 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can't wait to get back from Alaska and see all this on something larger than an iPhone!

Do you really want to come back? Alaska is one of those places I've always wanted to visit.
post #72 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.

I'm not sure I buy that. I see the lack of any hardware releases as crap if you can call the lack of something crap.
post #73 of 131
I'm not keen on the typography on Yosemite. I hope I will like it better in practice, but it looks like the iPad, and I've had to bold that for legibility as it is. My belief is that legibility is best served by a fairly even and not too tightly leaded typeface like the one we have now, and like the one on the new federal highway signs in the US for example -- both the current Apple one and the new Federal Highway Administration one having been chosen through exhaustive testing and focus grouping for a reason. Unfortunately, unlike FHA with its safety inspectorate pushing for signage that motorists can read as quickly as possible, Apple have moved towards a "look" as opposed to usability. It's especially ironic given that as they're helping users by decluttering the graphics, they're hindering them by turning the text into a graphical element instead of, er, text. The new Apple font is like an overleaded Helvetica, prettier in graphical appearance but slower in practice to read, better than the current one from the point of view of having a font that looks good on screen and in ads, lousy from the point of view of actually using the computer. I can only hope they'll let us keep the old one . . . shouldn't be too hard if they're serious about a scalable UI and using vector support. But I probably should have taken iTunes 11 as a warning sign of where Apple were heading with this.

iOS8 I am very keen on. So much so that they *might* have done enough to get me to switch from Android, which I didn't think I'd ever consider. No real distinction on fonts here as both Apple and Google have fallen for the lure of the overcooked Helvetica, but in other areas it looks like Apple are serious about opening a real lead on Android for usability. Opening up the OS to extensions is fantastic; it solves one of the big problems for me on iOS, the lack of trace typing such as Swype. And in combination with the WiFi feature it might solve the other, the lack of user choice in tethering applications and configuration. If that one is solved as well, the iPhone will finally meet my needs without jailbreaking, and so I'll at last have an open choice between the two platforms. And just for kicks they went one better and added some decent configurability to the home page as well. So it's looking like a platform that can finally add competitiveness in features to its advantages in security and hardware.
post #74 of 131
1) My productivity has dropped significantly since installing Yosemite. Maybe my brain hasn't fully adopted to the new typeface or icons for being able to locate what I want through patterns but I think the real issue is with the translucency. I am still able to turn off the Menu Bar translucency but I there is way too much for my current liking at this point.

2) If you require VMWare Fusion it won't currently run under Yosemite. Also, I have an external drive with an eSATA-to-USB cable that isn't showing up I haven't yet tested it on another device to see if there is something wrong with it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #75 of 131
Great update for Mac - and it's all free!
post #76 of 131
Federighi should be running Apple. At least he knows to tuck the shirt in not like the other 4 Bozos who still think it's 2004.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #77 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
1) My productivity has dropped significantly since installing Yosemite. Maybe my brain hasnt fully adopted to the new typeface or icons

 

I’m gonna miss Lucida Grande. :(

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #78 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m gonna miss Lucida Grande. 1frown.gif

But now you have Ariana Grande.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #79 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
But now you have Ariana Grande.

 

Bah. Imagine THOSE fonts as system standard. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #80 of 131
Duck Duck Go available as default web search engine? Priceless!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity