or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre makes Apple debut at WWDC, helps showcase iPhone calling support in OS X Yosemite

Dr. Dre makes Apple debut at WWDC, helps showcase iPhone calling support in OS X Yosemite

post #1 of 41
Apple's latest high-profile hire, rapper and entrepreneur Dr. Dre, made his grand debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday on the receiving end a phone call from Apple software chief Craig Federighi.

Federighi made the call while on stage showcasing OS X Yosemite's new continuity features. In an effort to showcase how iPhone features can be wirelessly shared with the Mac -- including the ability to place phone calls and talk over the Mac's microphone and speakers -- Federighi said he would like to call one of Apple's newest employees.

On the Mac, he then placed a call to Dre, who answered with a stoic "hello" that appeared to surprise Federighi. Dre said that he's excited to begin life at Apple, before joking about what time he'd have to show up to work every day in order to beat notoriously early-rising Chief Executive Tim Cook.

Dre was brought onto Apple's team with its $3 billion purchase of streaming music provider and headphone maker Beats. Along with music industry mogul Jimmy Iovine, Dre turned beats into a premium brand that commands a huge chunk of the headphone market.

Apple has made it clear that the Beats acquisition is more about the streaming service than the headphone business, however. Cook noted in an interview that the Beats team gives Apple a "head start" in a business that is fast encroaching on iTunes's download sales domination.
post #2 of 41

In related news, drblank died of a heart attack.  RIP blank

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Once you go black you cant go back

Get over it. 

Edited by Mac-Daddy - 6/2/14 at 11:28am
post #4 of 41

He was not as funny and charming as Craig, on the call. He sounded so serious and not intersted. :\

post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Once you go black you cant go back

Excuse me, but I thought all you Earthling humans started out black and then lost your protective pigmentation when you moved north. True?
post #6 of 41
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Excuse me, but I thought all you Earthling humans started out black and then lost your protective pigmentation when you moved north. True?

Isn’t the jury still out on that?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn’t the jury still out on that?

Not my jury. Waiting to hear from the Anunnaki, though.
post #8 of 41

That whole moment in the keynote was kind of awkward.  Craig seemed to have a forced smile, Dre sounded like he was doing something he didn't want to do.  There was nothing really gained from it.  He should have just placed the call to Phil or someone with whom he has an easy banter.

post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

He was not as funny and charming as Craig, on the call. He sounded so serious and not intersted. 1hmm.gif

I'd say mock serious at first, got with the joke at the end. Probably scripted of course, and maybe he was wary of the whole dicey stage business.
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'd say mock serious at first, got with the joke at the end. Probably scripted of course, and maybe he was wary of the whole dicey stage business.

But, while acquiring, Tim said that Apple and Beats were culturally compatible. :p

post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

He was not as funny and charming as Craig, on the call. He sounded so serious and not intersted. :\

No surprise there - he just sounds like a rapper. USD 3 billion for WHAT again?

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

No surprise there - he just sounds like a rapper. USD 3 billion for WHAT again?

Street Cred.
And ghetto blaster headphones.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Street Cred.

I'll take the headphones but what exactly does Dr Dre bring to Apple other than a name?

post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I'll take the headphones but what exactly does Dr Dre bring to Apple other than a name?

Maybe Steve Jobs could have told you.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 41
So, if I can make a phone call from my mac through my phone, can I make a phone call from my iPad through my phone?
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

So, if I can make a phone call from my mac through my phone, can I make a phone call from my iPad through my phone?

Theoretically, yes, as it's the same technologies for relaying the call.

post #17 of 41
Well, that was forced & awkward. Bad call.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Nothing. Absolutely nothing; not even a name, actually.

Yet he is USD 3 billion richer; ain't that great?

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Silly - you know that won't be allowed until the iPad 8 is released.

post #20 of 41
Silly - you know that won't be allowed until the iPad 8 is released.

That’d be the… shoot, which one… The closest in the future the iPad 3 could be released is the next one, meaning the 6th iPad, so the soonest iPad 8 would be the 11th iPad.

post #21 of 41

Can we add some Bass to our calls yet?

post #22 of 41
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post
Can we add some Bass to our calls yet?

Just practice your basso profondo. 

post #23 of 41
And at that point, all the Devs stormed out in protest and all the engineers quit. Oh, that's drblank's "reality" and not reality.
post #24 of 41

Telophony on the mac has been a moving target for a long time. I am really curious to see how this pans out. Like many people, I ditched my landline some time ago in favor of my cell phone. One of the things I left behind in doing so was the tried and true fax machine. Sure, old tech, but other people use it, so as a small business owner, I am expected to do likewise. There are apps to do this, but it frustrates me to pay a fee to do so. 

It would be nice to have iPhone recognize and receive an incoming fax. Or have an iPhone app that can be assigned incoming fax numbers and automatically recognize those as incoming fax numbers. And then push it to my mac.

And of course, vice versa - a pdf on my mac could be pushed through my iPhone to a recipients fax number.

I'd pay a reasonable fee for such an app; but a per page fee is absurd.

Be interesting to see what comes of 10.10's implementation. Remember, "available this fall" means "NLT 12/21/14."

post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe Steve Jobs could have told you.

Wow... thanks! Why hasn't anyone mentioned this video before?

It looks like Apple has some kind of rapport with Dr. Dre already.

And I've heard that Jimmy Iovine has been talking to Tim Cook for many years.

This deal doesn't sound that out-of-whack after all. 1smile.gif
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think at least 2003, since the then named iTunes Music Store launched.

post #27 of 41

Incidentally, early reports of Trent Reznor's departure from Beats were wrong:

Trent Reznor to remain with Beats By Dre

5:47 PM ET, 06/02/2014 - Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Trent Reznor and officials at Beats By Dre agree: Reznor is still with the company.

Reznor tweeted Monday afternoon that he remains the company's chief creative officer. Apple Inc. bought the headphones and streaming music company last week in a $3 billion deal.

Early reports last week speculated that the Nine Inch Nails leader would not follow Beats founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre to Apple as the company is absorbed. He wrote "YES I am still CCO of Beats Music and looking forward to what lies ahead with Apple" on Twitter. A spokeswoman with Beats confirms that Reznor remains CCO and that role will not change.

The Grammy and Oscar winner joined Beats in January 2013 when plans to enter the streaming market were launched.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 41
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think at least 2003, since the then named iTunes Music Store launched.

It's called Hollyweird overpriced cronyism.

post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

That whole moment in the keynote was kind of awkward.  Craig seemed to have a forced smile, Dre sounded like he was doing something he didn't want to do.  There was nothing really gained from it.  He should have just placed the call to Phil or someone with whom he has an easy banter.

Come on... This is Dr. Dre.  Remember the group N.W.A.??  This guy has to keep up that tough-guy, gangsta persona so he doesn't come across as looking like a "sellout" to the "man".  Of course, we all know that he is - and has been - part of that same corporate conglomerate.  I'm sure they were just goofing off.  That said, I'm sure Craig is not used to dealing with Dre's kind of hard personality. :)

It's all an act.  I'm not a fan of that kind of rap music, but I do admire his rise in the entertainment area.

post #30 of 41
Quote:

Iovine, Dre and Jobs were close friends and were very involved in each other's business.

It's the few AI nerds who dont't like them joining the team.

To me the Dr. Dre/Jimmy Iovine aqui-hire was genius. It's the crappy headphones that bother me. I really hope they get a slight redesign and tougher construction soon otherwise it would be very unlike Apple who's name has always been associated with quality.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

Iovine, Dre and Jobs were close friends and were very involved in each other's business.

It's the few AI nerds who dont't like them joining the team.

To me the Dr. Dre/Jimmy Iovine aqui-hire was genius. It's the crappy headphones that bother me. I really hope they get a slight redesign and tougher construction soon otherwise it would be very unlike Apple who's name has always been associated with quality.

Thanks for the info! The way people have been talking since the deal was rumored... it sounded like Apple was hiring two random people off the street. I'm glad to hear the full story. (someone should have posted the Dr Dre iChat video weeks ago... I never saw it until today... and I've read every tech story about this acquisition)

As for crappy headphones... I'd like to see Apple get serious about audio devices. Apple bought a well-recognized brand name so they'll have no problem selling Beats products. But let's have Apple's audio engineers get their hands on them first!

I can see it now: Beats for the kids... Beats Pro for professional audio. It has a nice ring to it. 1smile.gif
post #32 of 41
Quote:

Street Cred.

That is what I was saying. Dre has to keep his street cred. Overpriced deal or not. Gangsta forever.
post #33 of 41
Has anyone tried to call that mobile # to see if that is Dre's.

=-)
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Has anyone tried to call that mobile # to see if that is Dre's.

=-)

I thought about it but then noticed the email said dre.demo@icloud.com so I decided not to call.

post #35 of 41

yah I saw that but why were everyone else's 555 numbers.

:p

post #36 of 41
Quote:

1tongue.gif

My guess is because it was a real call, but one where they used a temporary number in order to initiate it.

post #37 of 41
The phone number in the demo was 408-974-1010

Apple's main switchboard is 408-996-1010

Kinda curious about those last 4 digits... coincidence?

Anyway... someone actually did call that number. It is indeed an Apple number... with a pissed off operator. 1smile.gif

http://mashable.com/2014/06/02/apple-dr-dre-phone-number-wwdc-2014/
post #38 of 41

Because everyone else doesn’t exist. Apple’s filler content on demo devices uses fake people to give richness to the demonstration.

post #39 of 41

Maybe someone at WWDC or running the 10.10 beta can confirm if the telephony features will work on all Macs that Yosemite can be installed on. I'm curious if BT4.0 would be required, and that excludes a lot of macs. Maybe it is also smart enough to route via local wifi as well?

post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Maybe someone at WWDC or running the 10.10 beta can confirm if the telephony features will work on all Macs that Yosemite can be installed on. I'm curious if BT4.0 would be required, and that excludes a lot of macs. Maybe it is also smart enough to route via local wifi as well?

I think they stated it has to be on the same network, as in LAN, which makes sense as your phone could be in your bedroom when you get a call in the living room, or whatever.

I'd love to test it but it's not working for me.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre makes Apple debut at WWDC, helps showcase iPhone calling support in OS X Yosemite