or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements

Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements

post #1 of 55
While taking the wraps off of iOS 8 on Monday, Apple showcased a broad array of new features for users, including interactive notifications, a faster and smarter text entry system dubbed "QuickType," and enhancements to Messages that will improve group texting.

One of the highlights of iOS 8 are new interactive notifications that allow users to reply to text messages or accept calendar invites without leaving the app they are currently in. These new interactive notifications can be invoked from their temporary banner that appears at the top, as well as on the lock screen.

The iOS keyboard has also been revamped with predictive typing suggestions, a feature Apple has dubbed "QuickType." It also intelligently interprets appropriate responses: In one example, a text message asked whether the user wants to do dinner or a movie, and suggestions were either "Dinner" or "Movie."

These new suggestions learn a user's language and words they prefer, but Apple also emphasized privacy, saying that the information will never leave the device.

Continuity features on iOS and Mac also allow users to easily share content, receive standard text messages on other devices like an iPad or Mac, and even remotely enable Personal Hotspot.

Messages has also been improved with the abilities to name threads, add and remove users, and even enable "Do Not Disturb" for a specific thread.

Recent contacts and favorites are also shown in the multitasking view, allowing users to quickly place phone calls, send messages or start a FaceTime call. Safari on iPad will also also gain a new tab view that is similar to the iPhone view.

When composing mail, users can now swipe down to access other mail without closing the message being written. Mail also adds the ability to quickly delete messages or flag them, while smart integration with Calendar allows events to be easily added.

Spotlight searches have also been expanded, now allowing users to find news, songs, movies and other content that may not be saved on the iPhone.

iOS 8 also adds support for iCloud Drive, allowing users to easily open documents from other compatible applications. Edits are saved back to their original location, so there aren't different versions or copies. iCloud Drive syncs to iPhone, iPad, Mac and Windows.

Additionally, Apple introduced a new Family Sharing program for content purchased from the iTunes Store. Up to six family members --?who all share the same credit card -- can access each other's purchased content automatically from any device.

In a nod to regulators, Family Sharing also includes a new parental control feature that will notify parents when their child wants to make a purchase through the App Store. The parent can then accept or reject the purchase.

Also coming along for the ride are a number of new editing options in the camera, including an extended automatic "fixing" mode. In one demonstration, Federighi brought up a simple levels tool that allowed him to scrub over a live preview to find an aesthetically pleasing setting while iOS adjusted a number of variables in the background to achieve the desired effect.

Siri received an update as well, with a new "Hey, Siri" function that allows users to activate Siri with their voice while driving. Additionally, the personal digital assistant now supports song recognition via a new partnership with Shazam.

post #2 of 55
Definitely like the improvements in iOS 8, not so much Yosemite.
post #3 of 55

Remove myself or DND a group message?  The best news ever.  Other than that, meh- just more minor improvements to the best mobile OS by a mile.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 55

Quicktype, finally Swiftkey style. Love it. It's all about continuity...Ecosystem. yup.

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #5 of 55
Were all of these features really missing from iOS? These are all old Android features from years past. Pretty embarrassing.
Good to see Apple is still innovating /s
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

These are all old Android features from years past.

Which Android version are you talking about- the measly 9% on Kitkat? :lol: 

post #7 of 55
These are all old Android features from years past. 

Thing is, does Android even have a one of them? :lol:

post #8 of 55

is that the new iphone?

post #9 of 55
Quote:

Were all of these features really missing from iOS? These are all old Android features from years past. Pretty embarrassing.
Good to see Apple is still innovating /s

By this logic no one else could have ever created a touch screen phone because "these are old features"

post #10 of 55
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post
is that the new iphone?

Of course not.

post #11 of 55

It actually took longer than I thought for the pimple-witted trolls to wake up in their parents' basements.

post #12 of 55

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF 

SUBCATEGORIES

YEEESSSSS YESSSSSSSS YEEEEEEEEEES

I’m actually going to use the App Stores now!

post #13 of 55

Did I understand correctly that I'll be able to send and receive standard SMS text messages from my Mac? If so, WOOHOO! I hate typing on the tiny little iPhone keyboard when I have a Mac sitting right next to me! That's one of the features I've always really liked about OS X Messages and wished I could use with contacts who don't have Apple devices.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thing is, does Android even have a one of them? :lol:

Google Predictive Text Keyboard is available to all Android users on 2.3 and later. Introduced in 2012.

Android Expandable Notifications were introduced with Android 4.1. Also in 2012.

"Okay, Google" is about a year old and available to all Google Now users (4.1 and up)

iCloud drive is clearly an attempt to duplicate Google Drive from the very beginning of Android.

Did the App store really not have subcategories???? It's 2014 that must be a joke.

FYI Android 4.1 or above is on 71% of Android devices, which is somewhat substantial. I don't know anyone earlier than 4.2

post #15 of 55
Quote:

Thing is, does Android even have a one of them? lol.gif
Android has had the predictive text for the past two years baked in. Swift key I think is going on five years. Interactive notifications are two years old on android. Placing the location has been baked into the hangouts since hangouts was added into the messaging last year. Many of the other features are original apple ones however.
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Did I understand correctly that I'll be able to send and receive standard SMS text messages from my Mac? If so, WOOHOO! I hate typing on the tiny little iPhone keyboard when I have a Mac sitting right next to me! That's one of the features I've always really liked about OS X Messages and wished I could use with contacts who don't have Apple devices.

SMS will not be sent or received from your Mac. That requires a device with a cellular connection as that communication happens over your mobile provider's carrier signal. What it looks to do is have the iPhone aware that an SMS has arrived, then forward it to iMessage (over IP) that will have some sort of tagging so your other devices know this originally came via SMS so the conversation and transmission can remain intact.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #17 of 55

Google Predictive Text Keyboard is available to all Android users on 2.3 and later. Introduced in 2012.

Yeah, but it’s nothing like this.

iCloud drive is clearly an attempt to duplicate Google Drive from the very beginning of Android.

Which was a pathetic attempt at copying the storage from .Mac.

post #18 of 55
All nice additions but nothing really new. All of these are already available on other platforms.
post #19 of 55

Where is the guy claiming WWDC was going to be underwhelming? 

Holy Cow! That was f**king incredible!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 55
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post
All nice additions but nothing really new. All of these are already available on other platforms.

Here comes the FUD, doodle doo doo… 

Here comes the FUD, and I say…

Get out now.

*guitar riff*

post #21 of 55
Quote:

Yeah, but it’s nothing like this.

Which was a pathetic attempt at copying the storage from .Mac.

How is it not exactly the same as this???? Have you ever used the Android one?

And please, .Mac was turrible. I hated it when I had my mac.

post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Where is the guy claiming WWDC was going to be underwhelming? 

Holy Cow! That was f**king incredible!

They may not have introduced a single feature that wasn't already a core part of Android, but everyone has to give them  a lot of credit for finally making it this far with iOS.

It really shows you how much Apple has changed over the past year or two. Finally listening to all their customers for these features.

post #23 of 55
Quote:

Dropbox, SkyDrive, etc.

Oh, and .Mac.
post #24 of 55
Quote:

They may not have introduced a single feature that wasn't already a core part of Android, but everyone has to give them  a lot of credit for finally making it this far with iOS.
It really shows you how much Apple has changed over the past year or two. Finally listening to all their customers for these features.

Not a single feature... FUD
post #25 of 55
Quote:

?

It's not as simple as the other "predictive texts". It goes beyond typing "th" and giving you the option of "thanks" "there" "they".  Can you really not see past that?

post #26 of 55
Quote:

Here comes the FUD, doodle doo doo… 
Here comes the FUD, and I say…
Get out now.

*guitar riff*
I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms. I have no problem with Apple implementing them, if anything some of them were long overdue (f.e. interactive notifications).
post #27 of 55
I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms.

No, not in the same way.

post #28 of 55
Quote:

You aren't enlightening us- you simply just look like an idiot that everyone shakes their head at and feels sorry for.  Sure, you get a response here and there, but it's always to counter you, and you never "win".

It's as awkward as someone telling you- in front of everyone at a party- that you aren't invited and no one wants you here, yet you hang around eating your chips and queso in the corner clueless to what just happened.

post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

?
It's not as simple as the other "predictive texts". It goes beyond typing "th" and giving you the option of "thanks" "there" "they".  Can you really not see past that?
I know, it learns your habits and makes predictions even before you start typing the word which is something Android's default keyboard also has.
I have no problem with Apple implementing the feature, but it isn't new. Which counts for many of these features, but they are still nice additions.
post #30 of 55
Quote:

?

Ya, I know what it does. It's exactly the same as Google's next word predictive keyboard.

post #31 of 55
Quote:

I know, it learns your habits and makes predictions even before you start typing the word which is something Android's default keyboard also has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Ya, I know what it does. It's exactly the same as Google's next word predictive keyboard.

It also goes beyond simply learning your habits- you did watch the same Keynote that I did, correct?  Did you not see how it gives different predictions based on the relationship of the recipient?  Maybe your internet connection sputtered and it skipped over that.

post #32 of 55
Quote:

I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms. I have no problem with Apple implementing them, if anything some of them were long overdue (f.e. interactive notifications).

It's fairly obvious you weren't watching the demo.

Predictive text and typing are actually coming from the text messages themselves... and it's learning your response style PER contact. This opens the door for predictive multi-language switching.

Oh... and no... Google better not have it in Android using the same implementation, because it uses the exact Apple patent that was won recently against Samsung.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #33 of 55
Quote:

It also goes beyond simply learning your habits- you did watch the same Keynote that I did, correct?  Did you not see how it gives different predictions based on the relationship of the recipient?  Maybe your internet connection sputtered and it skipped over that.

The next word predictive text feature (I can type out entire sentences without hitting one single letter based on previous conversations and contextual information) have been out for years!! It's been a part of the stock Google keyboard for over a year now.

post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Oh... and no... Google better not have it in Android using the same implementation, because it uses the exact Apple patent that was won recently against Samsung.

It's pretty useless. The Samsung / Android douches are the ones who always claim "first".  Me?  I'd rather claim "best"- they can have their "first"

post #35 of 55
and its learning your response style PER contact. This opens the door for predictive multi-language switching.

That blew my mind, man.

Great, now it’ll append “, man.” to every sentence I type to you.

post #36 of 55
Quote:

No, not in the same way.

It really doesn't matter either. Apple can recognize a good idea just as well as anyone else and they'd be silly to ignore one just because someone else thought of it first. Everyone borrows ideas from everyone else in addition to coming up with their own unique innovations. Heck Siri is going to mimic Google Now's always listening feature and use "Hey Siri " the same way Google Now uses "OK Google". Why? Because it's a good idea. Is there a better reason?
melior diabolus quem scies
post #37 of 55
Quote:

You're describing exactly what the Google keyboard and other 3rd party keyboards have done for a while now. This shows a portion of the Google keyboard settings.
post #38 of 55
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
You're describing exactly what the Google keyboard and other 3rd party keyboards have done for a while now. This shows a portion of the Google keyboard settings.

Nope. Try again. That’s not what Apple implemented. They have CONTEXTUAL suggestions and PER-PERSON suggestions.

post #39 of 55
Quote:

The '172 patent you mention, and particularly claim 8 which is the one asserted against Samsung, is under review with the USPTO signaling serious doubts as to it's validity. That's going to take some time to sort out tho.
post #40 of 55
Siri still blacking out entire page, so you can read what's on the screen into siri to search or navigate. ios6 siri was useful.

Still requiring all your pages to be blurred into translucency hell. And now your computer will be a big flashlight with absolutely no detail.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements