or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces HealthKit for holistic health tracking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces HealthKit for holistic health tracking

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Confirming rumored in the weeks leading up to WWDC, Apple on Monday announced HealthKit and accompanying app Health, two assets that collect, store and parse health-related data in a central digital repository.




Apple SVP Craig Federighi took the wraps off Apple's answer to comprehensive mobile health tracking and interactive repository for taking control of data from a growing number of connected health devices.

Health is actually an app that collects and stores various data like steps taken, blood pressure and other metrics in a digital hub. Developers can tap into HealthKit and deliver data to Health, which may be viewed by end users. Alternatively, users can enter their own information through the Health app.

Nike was tapped as one of Apple's first partners through the company's Nike+ digital brand, which has in the past quantified activity via a proprietary metric called NikeFuel.

The Mayo Clinic is also working with Apple on a patient monitoring tool that ties into Health. Specifically, when a patient takes a blood pressure measurement, the data is saved and checked against previous personal results. If a reading is abnormal, the data can be automatically sent to a user's doctor for quick and seamless response.

Instead of having to dive into specific compartmentalized apps, with HealthKit users will have quick and easy access to all health-related information stored in one place.
post #2 of 46
Hand over your health information to Apple > Government > Insurance companies.
No thanks.
post #3 of 46
Originally Posted by bitmod View Post
Hand over your health information to Apple > Government > Insurance companies.
No thanks.


Thanks for telling us you didn’t watch the keynote.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #4 of 46
I did and I thought exactly the same. Insurance companies are going to love "Health" I'd treat this extreme caution especially with the third party integration and Extensions. As for the rest of the Keynote. Lots of really good stuff, especially on the Enterprise side.
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

Hand over your health information to Apple > Government > Insurance companies.
No thanks.

I'm sure it'll be HIPAA compliant

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 46
Not to mention the user has full control over the data on the device. HealthKit provides a uniform framework for everyone to work together.
post #7 of 46
I noticed they just skimmed through Healthkit and the Home Automation parts. I'm wondering... If Nike has ceased making fitness bands...then what? Just for starters.

Really liked that this was truly a DEVELOPERS conference. I thought that the new enhancements and new code kits added to the programming kit were amazing.

Eff the stupid analysts this whole thing just went right over their heads. Even with the Demos I doubt analysts can imagine what any of it could mean.

Cue the stupid ones that trade options. They write their own clickbait articles of expectations, run the stock price up and then dump it all with more clickbait stories about how Apple disappointed them.

Apple has their roadmap and they are planning their trip. It's obvious they will need several special events further on this year.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #8 of 46
Does anyone else's (older) brain keeping reading this as Heathkit.......
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

I did and I thought exactly the same. Insurance companies are going to love "Health" I'd treat this extreme caution especially with the third party integration and Extensions. As for the rest of the Keynote. Lots of really good stuff, especially on the Enterprise side.
You do know that Insurance Companies are HEAVILY regulated and have to comply with HIPPA and PHI? I would trust this data with insurance companies and health care providers before other 3rd parties.
post #10 of 46
That icon needs some adrenaline
post #11 of 46
If a reading is abnormal, the data can be automatically sent to a user's doctor for quick and seamless response.

Sounds pretty cool!
post #12 of 46

I hope you're right. Like the idea but just have inherent mistrust of insurance company's who like bankers offer you an umbrella when it's sunny and take it back just as it starts to rain ! Just one step up from estate agents in my book. 

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

That icon needs some adrenaline

Hah! I see what you did there. 1smile.gif
post #14 of 46
I don't know what you guys are worried about. Health insurance is free now and covers you even with preexisting conditions! So, there wouldn't be any repercussions to the Health app.

#totalloadofbull
post #15 of 46
Quote

Not only that, my current garage door opener is a Heathkit I assembled 40 years ago. Had to get a new transmitter/receiver, but otherwise it just works. Sound familiar? Now how do I control it with iOS8 and Homekit?
Eph nMP, rMBP, MBA, Minis
Reply
Eph nMP, rMBP, MBA, Minis
Reply
post #16 of 46
With so many new things released today I think this may get lost.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With so many new things released today I think this may get lost.

I didn't watch the keynote yet, but this seems like one of those things where the software comes first, hardware next, so I think this is quite exciting for the potential of a wearable device that will use Healthkit after some bugs are ironed out/features added

post #18 of 46
Wondering if the pundits will continue to say apple is not innovating? If seems they praised the galaxy s5 fingerprint reader as such a fascinating feature and huge selling point
post #19 of 46
You're looking at your readout & talking with your doctor. You keep all the data on your device. You have a history in front of you & therefore you are both more well informed. Health care data standards have nothing to do with this initiative.
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

Hand over your health information to google > Ads > Ads > Ads > Ads > and order your drugs online - - no prescription is required - - Doctors available to chat 7 x 24.
Thanks.

Happy now?

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #21 of 46

Why do they keep writing "holistic"?

 

In my understanding the use of holistic means either understanding the whole of something or the 'treatment' of a patient requiring knowledge of their entire situation including phycological, social profile. As I see it this new Health app, it does neither.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do they keep writing "holistic"?

In my understanding the use of holistic means either understanding the whole of something or the 'treatment' of a patient requiring knowledge of their entire situation including phycological, social profile. As I see it this new Health app, it does neither.

holism |ˈhōlˌizəm|
noun chiefly Philosophy
• the theory that parts of a whole are in intimate interconnection, such that they cannot exist independently of the whole, or cannot be understood without reference to the whole, which is thus regarded as greater than the sum of its parts. Holism is often applied to mental states, language, and ecology. The opposite of atomism.
• Medicine the treating of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease.

Sound exactly like what was described. It's designed to be able keep a record of all health related data.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #23 of 46
Yep. Healthkit and Homekit API will be good for developers. My guess is that Apple is writing apps to use their new API's and will be available at launch. An API cannot be designed in the abstract.; Apple must have already created apps to be sure they work.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do they keep writing "holistic"?

In my understanding the use of holistic means either understanding the whole of something or the 'treatment' of a patient requiring knowledge of their entire situation including phycological, social profile. As I see it this new Health app, it does neither.

holism |ˈhōlˌizəm|
noun chiefly Philosophy
• the theory that parts of a whole are in intimate interconnection, such that they cannot exist independently of the whole, or cannot be understood without reference to the whole, which is thus regarded as greater than the sum of its parts. Holism is often applied to mental states, language, and ecology. The opposite of atomism.
• Medicine the treating of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease.

Sound exactly like what was described. It's designed to be able keep a record of all health related data.

Your definition agrees with my understanding exactly. The Health app knows nothing of phycological (philosophical) condition or attitude of the user nor does it "treat" any part or condition of the user.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Your definition agrees with my understanding exactly. The Health app knows nothing of phycological (philosophical) condition or attitude of the user nor does it "treat" any part or condition of the user.

You're thinking of medicine, but this is an app. Look at the first definition. The theory is that it's all interconnected. Holism literally refers to the whole.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
You're thinking of medicine, but this is an app look at the first definition. The theory is that it's all interconnected. Holism literally refers to the whole.

I guess I don't see blood pressure, blood sugar and heart rate as enough to be considered holistic. I have this spot on my skin which might be melanoma. I have an appointment scheduled with my dermatologist this week. I also have arthritis in my ankle, I doubt Health app would be able to detect, diagnose or treat any part of my conditions, therefore it is not the whole of anything. Holistic refers to a whole and I don't see one. The word 'integrated' health app might be more appropriate in my opinion.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I guess I don't see blood pressure, blood sugar and heart rate as enough to be considered holistic. I have this spot on my skin which might be melanoma. I have an appointment scheduled with my dermatologist this week. I also have arthritis in my ankle, I doubt Health app would be able to detect, diagnose or treat any part of my conditions, therefore it is not the whole of anything. Holistic refers to a whole and I don't see one. The word 'integrated' health app might be more appropriate in my opinion.

What?! Then why do doctors and nurses take this information if they dont contain data that is important to your health?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
What?! Then why do doctors and nurses take this information if they dont contain data that is important to your health?

Sorry, no comment. Obvious.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, no comment. Obvious.

1) You say obvious but I don't think you're getting it. Holism is about the parts connecting to the whole. The whole is you, and in this context your health. A medical professional taking various, seemingly simple tests can tell them about the bigger picture of what's going on with you. Why is that a hard concept to understand?

2) There is no reason for any aliment or treatment to be excluded from HealthKit. It's open to all. Why assume it's excluding arthritis?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You say obvious but I don't think you're getting it. Holism is about the parts connecting to the whole. The whole is you, and in this context your health. A medical professional taking various, seemingly simple tests can tell them about the bigger picture of what's going on with you. Why is that a hard concept to understand?

2) There is no reason for any aliment or treatment to be excluded from HealthKit. It's open to all. Why assume it's excluding arthritis?

Because any data the device could possibly acquire regarding melanoma or arthritis would be completely ignored by any physician as those sorts of conditions require a visit to the doctor. In the year 2100, perhaps the iPhone will be a holistic diagnostic device, but not today.

 

As you probably remember I am in health sciences.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Because any data the device could possibly acquire regarding melanoma or arthritis would be completely ignored by any physician as those sorts of conditions require a visit to the doctor. In the year 2100, perhaps the iPhone will be a holistic diagnostic device, but not today.

You're still not understanding the use of the term holistic.

Do you not understand that if certain minor things occur that it could be indicative of a larger issue as everything in your body is interconnected? I assume you do an yet you're only not comprehending the usage here. In no way does holism imply than an app can replace trained physicians. I don't even know how you'd jump to such a conclusion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
You're still not understanding the use of the term holistic.

Do you not understand that if certain minor things occur that it could be indicative of a larger issue as everything in your body is interconnected? I assume you do an yet you're only not comprehending the usage here. In no way does holism imply than an app can replace trained physicians. I don't even know how you'd jump to such a conclusion.

It is just symatics. The Health app is not holistic because it is basically clueless since it relies on unqualified user input. I just disagree with the term used in a medical context because it is incorrect usage.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is just symatics. The Health app is not holistic because it is basically clueless since it relies on unqualified user input. I just disagree with the term used in a medical context because it is incorrect usage.

That's not what holistic means. You're taking a single, specific use of a generic term and then saying it's not proper. That's not a reasonable way to look at language. But you're right that it is semantics insofar that you're "concerned with the meaning" but you're ignoring all other meaning because you're not familiar with using them in another context despite that context predating the one you know.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
That's not what holistic means. You're taking a single, specific use of a generic term and then saying it's not proper. That's not a reasonable way to look at language.

If it is a medical app it needs to comply with medical definitions that have contextual meanings. It is not a problem with Apple because they did not use the term holistic, it is just the click whore websites that I have complaint with.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If it is a medical app it needs to comply with medical definitions that have contextual meanings. It is not a problem with Apple because they did not use the term holistic, it is just the click whore websites that I have complaint with.

You're weirdly and foolishly conflating the use of holistic for this app and the term holistic medicine. This is app is not medicine. This app is not implying that it's medicine. The use of holistic is proper and as already proven when I gave you the definition which you oddly stated was how you interpreted the definition but now it's clear you only looked at the very last line, ignoring the others, despite the examples of holistic language and holistic ecology.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #36 of 46

Health app is not holistic because it is not the whole of anything. It is a  yet to be released tiny fraction of the health sciences industry. Interconnected or not it is just one of many health technologies, but so far has very limited capabilities and certainly is not holistic by any definition of the word.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...certainly is not holistic by any definition of the word.

"The theory that parts of a whole […] cannot be understood without reference to the whole."

It makes no sense that you can't see that but I don't think you're lying to me so I have to accept that you've chosen not accept any other definition except the specific use of holistic medicine, which, when referring to the whole, isn't very holistic when compared to the philosophy as one's physical and mental health is also interconnected to everything else, but that's not a discussion we can get into if you can't see how the parts in an app make up its whole.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With so many new things released today I think this may get lost.

Actually, I view it as a huge stake in the ground. They've just given health equipment and app devs exactly what they need to integrate with iOS in a beautifully simple new way.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, I view it as a huge stake in the ground. They've just given health equipment and app devs exactly what they need to integrate with iOS in a beautifully simple new way.

I hope so. It would be great to go into a doctor's office and have months of data from various 3rd-party devices or a single device with multiple sensors get uploaded for instant analysis or even know to go to the doctor because my iPhone noticed changes in my health patterns that could be a sign of something worse, like how the check engine light isn't very useful but indicates that something may not be functioning under normal conditions.

The funny thing about something gradual and part of our everyday lives is may not notice any issues until it's too late. This is where computers can be a huge benefit. From noting we're talking smaller strides when we walk and sleeping less, to knowing our resting heat rate is faster and out blood oxygen levels are lower minor changes across multiple vectors would be a red flag for a computerized system. Medical professional can only determine these things when they are in our presence.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

I noticed they just skimmed through Healthkit and the Home Automation parts. I'm wondering... If Nike has ceased making fitness bands...then what? Just for starters.

Really liked that this was truly a DEVELOPERS conference. I thought that the new enhancements and new code kits added to the programming kit were amazing.
 

 

I think there is more to the Health app than what they showed. Nike does know something more than us, so I expect Apple to have hardware that will fully utilise the API soon.

 

I agree with the rest of your post. I was really blown away by the Keynote and loved everything they demoed. Forget about the merging of iOS and OSX. What they showed us was that you don't need to merge it if you can create a perfect synergy between the 2 systems.

 

Best WWDC Keynote I have seen since when I started watching them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces HealthKit for holistic health tracking