or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple opens up Touch ID to third-party app developers with iOS 8

Apple opens up Touch ID to third-party app developers with iOS 8

post #1 of 36
Apple on Monday announced third-party developers will be able to access Touch ID in iOS 8, the company's fingerprint security hardware and software solution that has been limited to first-party apps since its launch last year.

Introduced by SVP Craig Federighi at WWDC, the new access offers app makers a new way to interact with Apple's advanced security hardware. Previously, Touch ID was limited to unlocking an iPhone 5s and making purchases through iTunes and the App Store.

With the newly granted access, apps like 1Password or other titles containing highly sensitive data can call on Touch ID's assets to grant users access without having to remember lengthy passwords. Designed to be tougher to crack than text-based pass codes, Touch ID is now being fully realized to make iOS a safe platform for users.

Keeping things secure, Touch ID never exposes fingerprint data to third parties, keeping it stored safely in the A7's secure enclave. Apple accomplishes this by relying on keychain assets, never directly pinging the locked-down information.

Currently, Touch ID is only available on the iPhone 5s, though Apple is widely expected to expand the capability to all iOS devices through the year.
post #2 of 36

Time for everyone here to complain about everything and how they didn't do what you think they should have done.

post #3 of 36

This topic (touchID kit) is exactly what they should have done.

And it portends that every device will eventually have touchID (even the 'consumer' phones/pads).   As soon as Ebay or Facebook or Starbucks build it it,  everyone will need it.

post #4 of 36

I bought a base 16 GB iPad Air because I knew I wanted to have Touch ID (love it on my 5S) and 802.11ac. 

Looks like i'll be selling it and getting a minimum 64GB Air this year with Touch ID. 

As soon as I feel comfortable about seeing more areas where I can use Touch ID I'm going to take 

my current password and make it ridiculously long and difficult. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 36
This is awesome. No need for Apple to do the work. Let the outside developers build the payment apps and anything that requires high security.
post #6 of 36

I hope the new Macs will have Touch ID too.

Oh, wait a minute. Touch ID currently resides in the A7 processor, could this be another piece of the puzzle that new MacBooks will rock an A8?

bb
bb
post #7 of 36

Let's just hope Google is NOT one of those "authorized" third-party developers.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #8 of 36

I think it's going to be very difficult for any other company to match what Apple is offering in terms of integration across platforms.  Only Apple does the hardware and software and is able to keep fragmentation out of the equation except for older devices.  I'm going to upgrade to Yosemite within a week of release after get user feedback and I find out if there are no major problems I'm good to go.  I really like it.  I don't concern myself with eye-candy and stuff.  I just want a bulletproof OS.  Mavericks has been that way for me, so I'm pretty sure I'll quickly make the transition to another FREE OS upgrade.

I really don't get why investors didn't like what they saw.  I'm heavily into tech and what Apple is offering all around really looks good and should be very simple for average users to have smartphones, tablets, notebooks and desktops tightly integrated.  I'm not sure what I'm missing that Wall Street would give a thumbs down on the WWDC event.  That guy Craig Federighi did a great job with the presentation as far as I could tell.  I think Tim Cook is a terrible speaker and listening to him talk is annoying.  He just needs to run the company and stay off stage.

post #9 of 36

The TouchID is my favorite feature on my iPhone 5S -- by far.  Can't wait to see TouchID in the next iPads.  :)

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #10 of 36
LOL I was just thinking the same thing
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProApple View Post

This is awesome. No need for Apple to do the work. Let the outside developers build the payment apps and anything that requires high security.

my issue with that is its the 'identity' that is the basis of the risk.  Why should Apple not build a payment app, given that if there is a breach, the payment apps will blame apple (until they can't... but deep pockets make for an inviting target).

I would posit that the TouchID kit will become the necessitated convenience of having 2 factor authentication for apps that really require it (banking, stocks, healthcare, heck... Facebook, ebay, etc etc etc), and Apple staking a HW based lead with TouchID on it's entire iOS suite (compared to the 100's of potentially different biometric interfaces on Android, Win8 et al), making it a 'feature' of a person buying a phone just to do Facebook (for example), saying that you can have a secure session by just pressing your finger.  

Apple is selling security as convenience, which is at is should be.

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I really don't get why investors didn't like what they saw.  I'm heavily into tech and what Apple is offering all around really looks good and should be very simple for average users to have smartphones, tablets, notebooks and desktops tightly integrated.  I'm not sure what I'm missing that Wall Street would give a thumbs down on the WWDC event.  That guy Craig Federighi did a great job with the presentation as far as I could tell.  I think Tim Cook is a terrible speaker and listening to him talk is annoying.  He just needs to run the company and stay off stage.

1) nothing on Beats in the keynote

2) Wall Street buys on the rumor, sells on the news.   we've had 6 weeks of rumors.  Today was news.

3) Tim Cook does a lot less than Steve Jobs did.  That said, he's no Steve Jobs, but compared to any other CEO, he's a lot better to listen to.

post #13 of 36
Apple was down 1.6% before the keynote and .6% after it. Let investors be investors, there's no way to figure them out
post #14 of 36
@ Constable odo "I really don't get why investors didn't like what they saw. I'm heavily into tech and what Apple is offering all around really looks good and should be very simple for average users to have smartphones, tablets, notebooks and desktops tightly integrated. I'm not sure what I'm missing that Wall Street would give a thumbs down on the WWDC event. %u201C

Apple is building a wider and deeper moat between themselves and Android and Windows with things like iTouch, 64 bit Processor, Metal (which will make iPads and iPhones the ultimate mobile gaming machines) , Swift, Healthkit, Homekit, iOs in the Car and the closer integration between X and iOS etc. etc.

What is really interesting is Apple is turning itself into an open “closed" system, by which I mean Healthkit, Homekit and iTouch security etc. are platforms which allows third party hardware makers and Apps developers to link into the Apple ecosystem. Google has gone in the opposite direction spending $ billions buying one Thermostat maker, whereas hundreds of hardware makers of "internet of things” can all link into Apple’s ecosystem and their 800 million iOS devices.

WS will eventually realise that Apple are generations ahead of the competition
Edited by Secular Investor - 6/2/14 at 2:20pm
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Apple was down 1.6% before the keynote and .6% after it. Let investors be investors, there's no way to figure them out

Well I bought some more Apple in the dip. I was very very impressed by the number of innovative things with which Apple is building a wider and deeper moat between themselves and the compeition - they have been left floundering, falling even further behind Apple

post #16 of 36
Welcome to ownership. I sold like an idiot when It was about 100 some years back, and bought again at 350.
post #17 of 36

Would it be possible for hackers to create a malicious application that spoofs TouchID and causes 1Password (or other managers) to reveal your user name and password to them?

post #18 of 36
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
Would it be possible for hackers to create a malicious application that spoofs TouchID and causes 1Password (or other managers) to reveal your user name and password to them?

Let’s try to run through this scenario.

So you have your OS, your real apps, and this malicious app. Now, the malicious app would offer up (we’ll get back to this) an extension, spoofing TouchID. It couldn’t gain any TouchID information, because that never leaves the OS. But I suppose it could take login information if that was provided as a separate option.

Now, to the before. Offering up. The keynote didn’t show any instance of a third-party app receiving an extension from another third party app. ONLY Apple apps receiving extensions from third-party apps.

Is it even possible for a third party to edit another third party?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #19 of 36
Yes my thinking too. The most annoying thing with computers and mobile devices is trying to remember 50 plus userids and passwords. Facebook, twitter, yahoo , gmail, several banks accounts on and on and on it goes , trading accounts, All I want to do is one unified way to access them just use my fingerprint for eqach one. That alone would make my life 1000% easier as long as its secure enough , but it couldn't be less secure than what is currently being done.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Let’s try to run through this scenario.

So you have your OS, your real apps, and this malicious app. Now, the malicious app would offer up (we’ll get back to this) an extension, spoofing TouchID. It couldn’t gain any TouchID information, because that never leaves the OS. But I suppose it could take login information if that was provided as a separate option.

Now, to the before. Offering up. The keynote didn’t show any instance of a third-party app receiving an extension from another third party app. ONLY Apple apps receiving extensions from third-party apps.

Is it even possible for a third party to edit another third party?

He didn't show an example, but I think his moving diagram was two third party apps sharing information. (I need to watch again to be sure).
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

@ Constable odo "I really don't get why investors didn't like what they saw. I'm heavily into tech and what Apple is offering all around really looks good and should be very simple for average users to have smartphones, tablets, notebooks and desktops tightly integrated. I'm not sure what I'm missing that Wall Street would give a thumbs down on the WWDC event. %u201C

Apple is building a wider and deeper moat between themselves and Android and Windows with things like iTouch, 64 bit Processor, Metal (which will make iPads and iPhones the ultimate mobile gaming machines) , Swift, Healthkit, Homekit, iOs in the Car and the closer integration between X and iOS etc. etc.

What is really interesting is Apple is turning itself into an open “closed" system, by which I mean Healthkit, Homekit and iTouch security etc. are platforms which allows third party hardware makers and Apps developers to link into the Apple ecosystem. Google has gone in the opposite direction spending $ billions buying one Thermostat maker, whereas hundreds of hardware makers of "internet of things” can all link into Apple’s ecosystem and their 800 million iOS devices.

WS will eventually realise that Apple are generations ahead of the competition

That's perceptive. Perhaps Apple are taking their cue from the huge success of the third parties on the App Store and building on that.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #22 of 36
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post
He didn't show an example, but I think his moving diagram was two third party apps sharing information. (I need to watch again to be sure).

I thought about that, too, but there was no direct reference to that being so.

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I think it's going to be very difficult for any other company to match what Apple is offering in terms of integration across platforms.  Only Apple does the hardware and software and is able to keep fragmentation out of the equation except for older devices.

Don't you mean across devices? Before Apple, both Palm and BB did hardware and software. It's not the magical equation it's been made out to be.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Oh, wait a minute. Touch ID currently resides in the A7 processor, could this be another piece of the puzzle that new MacBooks will rock an A8?

I'm guessing that if not already, in a very short time that will not be required. There was a lot of time spent discussing "continuity".  If your going to login to your bank account on your mac, and your phone is sitting right next to you on your desk, you authenticate with TouchID on your phone and it passes through to your mac.

I haven't read the Continuity spec, but it doesn't sound too far off.

post #25 of 36
Touch ID to open my front door? Yes please.
post #26 of 36

I'm really excited about the huge potential with all the new features announced. One thing I would love to see is the ability to use Touch ID to secure notes on the native note app. I know this probably isn't the best idea, but I have so many passwords for things its hard to remember them all. I have a note with all my passwords listed. It would be nice to require Touch ID to open that specific note. I know there are password apps out there I can secure notes with passwords, but I would rather use a combo of Touch ID and passcode. 

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I'm really excited about the huge potential with all the new features announced. One thing I would love to see is the ability to use Touch ID to secure notes on the native note app. I know this probably isn't the best idea, but I have so many passwords for things its hard to remember them all. I have a note with all my passwords listed. It would be nice to require Touch ID to open that specific note. I know there are password apps out there I can secure notes with passwords, but I would rather use a combo of Touch ID and passcode. 

Safari is all you need! No third-party app required. It will save all your passwords securely (even credit cards) so you don't need to memorise them. It will even provide very complex ones to keep them extra secure. And even if it doesn't autofill for some reason, you can see the password in settings and copy it if necessary. I've never needed to, though. But if you mean non-Safari, fair enough, though if you've got Touch ID anyway that's quite a barrier.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Not really.

What would likely happen is that when you set it up 1P to work with ToughID, it gives iOS an encryption key that will be stored in the keychain. The keychain itself is encrypted and requires TouchID or your device password to decrypt. After that, from 1P's point of view, when you launch the app it launches TouchID then sits there and waits for the key. If it doesn't get the key, it can't open.

There is no way for a malicious application to spoof TouchID without knowing the encryption key, and if you already know the key, there would be no need to fake TouchID because you could simply decrypt 1P without any further bother using the key.

On top of all this, all apps need to go through the App Store approval process. Also, at the end of the day the applications are still sandboxed. When apps interact through plugins, the information is filtered through iOS; there is still no way for one app to place itself between another app and iOS.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Safari is all you need! No third-party app required. It will save all your passwords securely (even credit cards) so you don't need to memorise them. It will even provide very complex ones to keep them extra secure. And even if it doesn't autofill for some reason, you can see the password in settings and copy it if necessary. I've never needed to, though. But if you mean non-Safari, fair enough, though if you've got Touch ID anyway that's quite a barrier.

I do use that Safari feature at home, but I do need a master list with all my passwords. I have around 6 at work that change every month. A Touch ID feature would be cool, but I still feel pretty comfortable with Touch ID, passcode, and Find iPhone app protecting my phone just in case it was lost or stolen. 

post #30 of 36
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I do use that Safari feature at home, but I do need a master list with all my passwords. I have around 6 at work that change every month. A Touch ID feature would be cool, but I still feel pretty comfortable with Touch ID, passcode, and Find iPhone app protecting my phone just in case it was lost or stolen. 

In the Preferences for Safari on the Mac and Settings on iOS, there is a list of all the passwords saved in Safari. If you regularly change some, Safari will automatically ask whether you want to replace them and will then save the new ones accordingly.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #31 of 36
Quote:

Yikes! That is a security nightmare.

I have been using 1Password for a while now, and while it isn't the most convenient thing, it is definitely better than storing your passwords unencrypted for anyone to see.

I'm hoping that with iOS 8 1P will be updated to use TouchID and it will hopefully get a safari plugin in iOS. If that's the case, that would be an even more convenient solution than secure notes.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Don't you mean across devices? Before Apple, both Palm and BB did hardware and software. It's not the magical equation it's been made out to be.

I think he meant across platforms like iOS and MacOS X.  Palm and Blackberry didn't have a computer platform.

Thompson

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Well I bought some more Apple in the dip. I was very very impressed by the number of innovative things with which Apple is building a wider and deeper moat between themselves and the compeition - they have been left floundering, falling even further behind Apple

Once the more thickheaded Wall Street analysts realize what this means on a forward looking basis (their excuse for everything), there will be no stopping AAPL from rocketing past $100 post-split.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 36
This is the sleeper announcement of the WWDC...this is huge...especially with all the recent issues of credit card security....

This is what the market should respond to..
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

No. It could mean Apple's new motherboards have an M7 DSP co-processor successor M8 or something similar that the Touch ID encryption can be stored.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This topic (touchID kit) is exactly what they should have done.

they shouldn't have done it until they were ready to do it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple opens up Touch ID to third-party app developers with iOS 8