or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2014 keynote video now streaming as OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8 betas seeded

Apple's WWDC 2014 keynote video now streaming as OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8 betas seeded

post #1 of 41
Following one of the most jam packed WWDC keynotes in recent memory, Apple has made the two-hour long presentation available on its website and issued developer preview versions of OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8.

As expected, Apple debuted its latest OS X version, dubbed "Yosemite," the newest iteration of iOS 8 and a few surprises during this year's Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. A streaming version of the presentation is now available through the company's events website.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite further merges the design language set forth in iOS 7 into Apple's desktop operating system, with a substantially flat user interface, copious use of transparencies and simple, yet colorful, iconography. Multiple new additions to the OS include a more powerful Spotlight, "dark mode" and an enhanced Notification Center.

Perhaps most exciting is a new function called Continuity, which enables iOS devices to share data and other information seamlessly.

Cross-platform utilityiCloud Drive which promises to incorporate Box-like document storage and editing, is also new for 2014.

As for iOS 8, Apple piled on a slew of new features like the QuickType keyboard, expanded spotlight searches, additional Siri features and a more intuitive Notification Center. Also for iOS, Apple introduced a HealthKit and the corresponding Health app to aggregate activity and health-related data in a single repository.

HomeKit made its debut to connect the Internet of Things via Apple's mobile devices, while Touch ID was opened up to third party developers.

Finally, Apple introduced a completely new coding language in Swift, which can be integrated with existing coding languages with minimal effort.

Developers can download preview beta versions of both OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 via Apple's Developer Portal now.

With a runtime of two hours and ten minutes, the 2014 WWDC keynote is crammed full of new features coming to OS X and iOS later this year.
post #2 of 41
WWDC! What an earth moving keynote! New OS X with new UI and new features (awesome!), new iOS 8 with HealthKit, new features and UI improvements (amazing!), HomeKit (incredible!), even more integration between OS X and iOS (insane!), brad new Xcode programming language for writing code (earth moving and game changing!!! -mark my words). What a keynote! Apple is leading the world for developing great software! There is no place for developers like Apple.

I can't wait now for the fall to see what Apple will release to complement and implement all the unbelievable software integration and development they have been able to achieve! This fall's product announcement is going to be the climax and the consummation of Eddy Cue's words:

"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."

I can truly say, without equivocation, no company can achieve what Apple achieves the way that Apple achieves it. Not even close.
post #3 of 41

Anyone doubt Tim Cook now? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #4 of 41
iOS is extremely underwhelming from an end user perspective but the new OS X looks awesome, glad it's finally getting some love!
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

iOS is extremely underwhelming from an end user perspective but the new OS X looks awesome, glad it's finally getting some love!
What?!?
post #6 of 41
I am not sure how this crowd feels about the overall feel of the show, but I for one, loved the charm, the humour and shared presence of many personalities (old and new alike) that drive this modern progressive company forward.

It is about time they threw out some digs against Android (in reality Google) for the mismanagement of their OS, the inability to delivery easy upgrades to average users (fact check this one-it's easy to do) and to enforce the security and protection of their client-base will always be a priority as the old adage goes " a happy customer is a returning customer" there is no better customer than one that comes back to buy again!

This was a software driven, future grabbing day for Apple and I applaud them for shining brighter than Chrome's lack of clarity (OS/Hardware/Browser/TV dongle ?), Android partner's complete lack of innovation at the software level to simply make a better product. I personally own 2 Samsung products (an excellent 5 years HD TV that does not let me down, and an amazing washing machine that not only cleans better than the German machines but does so more efficiently. If Samsung ran their other divisions as well as their washing machine/TV divisions, maybe their cell phones would not suck as much....
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What?!?

What again?

post #8 of 41
iOS is extremely underwhelming from an end user perspective

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #9 of 41
What an incredible Keynote. If somebody says it is underwelming, doesn't know anything about development and what it means for the future. Even the OSX 10.10 and iOS8 features they introduced are spot on useful. Now they even introduce beta versions in the summer for the public to use. I never have been so excited about the new stuff to try them out, even before the official release.
post #10 of 41
Quote:

Oh, give me a fucking break. Apple knocked it out of the part with iOS, and sheer amount of new backend technologies they're introducing to the platform - which will make every aspect better- is staggering. Can't wait to watch the keynote again in 1080P. 

post #11 of 41
Quote:

Dude, what are you smoking? Did you only catch the last 40 minutes of the keynote or something? Maybe you need to go back and watch it again. 

post #12 of 41

Here are my thoughts about the keynote.

Even though there was not one new single piece of hardware announced, I thought that it was a pretty good keynote. This WWDC was obviously all about the software, and both OS X and iOS are getting tons of new, great features. It is certainly not an understatement to say that this keynote was jam packed with new software features.

The only minor criticism I have is when they called Dr. Dre. The rapper was grumpy and sounded like he'd rather be doing something else. He should lighten up a bit and be more cheerful. He sounded about as enthusiastic as somebody attending a funeral would be.

Don't worry about any new hardware, that'll be coming soon. Apple is certainly on top of things, when it comes to the software.

post #13 of 41

Looking at all those developers faces tonight at the WWDC made me think.....My God, aren't they young !  Or am I just getting older. 

post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

Looking at all those developers faces tonight at the WWDC made me think.....My God, aren't they young !  Or am I just getting older. 

There were a bunch of kids there, because they had won some sort of scholarship or something.

post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, give me a fucking break. Apple knocked it out of the part with iOS, and sheer amount of new backend technologies they're introducing to the platform - which will make every aspect better- is staggering. Can't wait to watch the keynote again in 1080P. 

I thought his user name was "Snarky" for a minute. :lol:

post #16 of 41

Whew !  You've made a "not so young man" feel a whole lot better....although I bet they can still code in their sleep. 

post #17 of 41
Quote:

Whew !  You've made a "not so young man" feel a whole lot better....although a bet they can still code in their sleep. 

I can install iOS on my iDevices all by myself and I'm only 58! :D

post #18 of 41
Quote:

Whew !  You've made a "not so young man" feel a whole lot better....although a bet they can still code in their sleep. 

I'm sure that they could. I remember somebody saying that the youngest developer there was 13.:)

post #19 of 41

I still am a little surprised there was zero new hardware, at all. Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA? Or minor revision to Apple TV? Nothing?

Will be a busy fall I guess...

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #20 of 41
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA?

The former has no chips and the latter was updated four weeks ago.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS, as I haven’t seem them elsewhere.

That’s just great. My old media server iMac, stuck on Lion, while the model immediately after it got Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. :p

post #21 of 41
Quote:

I still am a little surprised there was zero new hardware, at all. Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA? Or minor revision to Apple TV? Nothing?

Not much to update to...

post #22 of 41
Quote:

They dont need to coordinate those updates with the event. They can happen anytime. 

MBA was just updated. MBP needs no update. The next Apple TV update will most probably be a major one. They're just coasting with the one they have now. 

Also, they basically sprinted through stuff and it lasted 2 hrs. I don't see what hardware they could have announced that wouldn't be better off launching with new software anyway. 

post #23 of 41
Quote:

They dont need to coordinate those updates with the event. They can happen anytime. 

Also, they basically sprinted through stuff and it lasted 2 hrs. I don't see what hardware they could have announced that wouldn't be better off launching with new software anyway. 

I agree actually, but historically the last few years 'we' get something. Not saying they had to announce anything, just interesting they didn't. It could be a new tick-tock cycle; software in Spring, hardware in Fall. 

post #24 of 41
Anyone know when the iTunes HD version usually comes out? I want to watch it again with a friend tonight, but would rather watch the HD version.
post #25 of 41

I found the iOS stuff a lot more impressive than the OS X changes, but it's pretty hard to judge the scale and impact of UI changes from tiny screenshots on a liveblog so I'm going to reserve judgement for now.

post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not even a silent Intel update for the MBP or MBA?

The former has no chips and the latter was updated four weeks ago.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS, as I haven’t seem them elsewhere.

That’s just great. My old media server iMac, stuck on Lion, while the model immediately after it got Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. :p

And on the iOS side, I was amazed to see that iOS 8 supports iPad 2! I really didn't expect that. When it comes to comparing Apple and Android with regards to support, Apple is killing it. Not that they weren't already, but now the chasm has become an ocean.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #27 of 41
Quote:

Quote:

MBA was just updated. MBP needs no update. The next Apple TV update will most probably be a major one. They're just coasting with the one they have now. 

I would love to see a list of all the new APIs!

post #28 of 41
Quote:

Anyone know when the iTunes HD version usually comes out? I want to watch it again with a friend tonight, but would rather watch the HD version.

Not out yet as a podcast, but the SD one is.

post #29 of 41

OK, is going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but what else is new?

They said they would make the Yosemite beta available to everyone (non-developers) at some point this summer.  Since I've never been a developer, I don't quite know how this works.  Can you install the beta alongside your regular (in this case Mavericks) system and dual boot?  Do you need to -- or can you -- boot it off a USB?

I am just interested in messing around with it once it becomes available.  But I have no clue what I'm doing. :)

TIA

post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorst View Post

What an incredible Keynote. If somebody says it is underwelming, doesn't know anything about development and what it means for the future. Even the OSX 10.10 and iOS8 features they introduced are spot on useful. Now they even introduce beta versions in the summer for the public to use. I never have been so excited about the new stuff to try them out, even before the official release.

I totally agree! The part I find most exciting is knowing that what they announced today is putting things in place for an equally amazing next advancement next year. Also, what Apple announced today is to accommodate new devices not yet announced. It's all so thought out!

The new software for gaming will kill android devices for gaming... it's going to threaten console games as well.

Finally, having OSX and iOS share files so seamlessly is the cherry on top the sundae. I'm sure I will enjoy a lot of the OSX additions as I understand how they will benefit me better, but for now, I'm whelmed to the max.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, is going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but what else is new?

They said they would make the Yosemite beta available to everyone (non-developers) at some point this summer.  Since I've never been a developer, I don't quite know how this works.  Can you install the beta alongside your regular (in this case Mavericks) system and dual boot?  Do you need to -- or can you -- boot it off a USB?

I am just interested in messing around with it once it becomes available.  But I have no clue what I'm doing. 1smile.gif

Not trying to be mean, but you would be best off waiting for the release version. An OS this powerful in your hands... you could take out a neighborhood and not know how you did it.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not trying to be mean, but you would be best off waiting for the release version. An OS this powerful in your hands... you could take out a neighborhood and not know how you did it.

You're not being mean.  It's just that I've been running OSX since, let's see, Jaguar.  I just never was in this situation.  It's not a big deal.  I can wait.

post #33 of 41
Check out this CNBC video. Walt Mossberg was great! Some clown was going on about how this was the most boring WWDC ever because it was all about software and no new hardware was announced. Walt Mossberg was not amused to say the least. 1biggrin.gif

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000280705

It's really annoying listening to all these Wall Street clowns moan because no hardware was announced. They have this incredibly narrow view of Apple as just a gadget maker and if Apple doesn't come out with some shiny new gadget it's doomed. At the same time, if they had any brains they'd know that Apple was setting themselves up for plenty of hardware this fall.
post #34 of 41

These are very solid releases. My faith is completely restored.

I was worried, especially with the out-of-character Beats purchase, but they did pretty much everything I've ever wanted them to do.

Now I have to come up with entirely new things to whine about.

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The only minor criticism I have is when they called Dr. Dre. The rapper was grumpy and sounded like he'd rather be doing something else. He should lighten up a bit and be more cheerful. He sounded about as enthusiastic as somebody attending a funeral would be.

Probably because he'd been reading your posts, along with Rogifan's and pazuzu's, etc. And in case you think that's a stretch, you should recall how Steve got so depressed over the reception given the iPad in the press and the blogosphere.
post #36 of 41
Quote:

I agree actually, but historically the last few years 'we' get something. Not saying they had to announce anything, just interesting they didn't. It could be a new tick-tock cycle; software in Spring, hardware in Fall. 

It's not a bad plan, if true; Apple could show off the new hardware running the latest new software that has already taken advantage of the new APIs and Swift language.

There's nothing worse then hitting the market with hardware that is unsupported with 3rd party software, a la the Surface RT, while Apple's iOS has enjoyed excellent support from every corner.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Dr Dre was probably trying to posture up and sound bad ass, not knowing all us white boys couldn't care a dry dog turd about that gangsta crapola.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

These are very solid releases. My faith is completely restored.

I was worried, especially with the out-of-character Beats purchase, but they did pretty much everything I've ever wanted them to do.

Now I have to come up with entirely new things to whine about.

My thoughts exactly. I literally tried coming up with something to complain about but couldn't. They exceeded my wildest expectations and then some when it comes to OSX/iOS, and future technologies and integrations. I don't remember being so satisfied with a keynote in years. Never been more confident in Apple and their leadership team. Seems they have more drive, direction, and talent than ever before. The way they keep driving the underlying tech of their platform forward shows how serious about the big picture and the future they really are. Swift/Metal/SceneKit/CloudKit/HealthKit/Continuity/extensibility/iCloud Drive are absolutely huge. 

post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Dr Dre was probably trying to posture up and sound bad ass, not knowing all us white boys couldn't care a dry dog turd about that gangsta crapola.

Well, all two of you white boys anyway.
post #40 of 41

I wonder what version of OS X will bring a useable version of Quicktime X?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2014 keynote video now streaming as OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8 betas seeded