or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Latest Xcode 6 beta hints at large screen iPhones and iPads

Latest Xcode 6 beta hints at large screen iPhones and iPads

post #1 of 27
Alongside the latest OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8 developer preview releases, Apple on Monday issued Xcode 6 beta with a number of interesting features including the ability to code for "resizable" iPhones and iPads.

Following the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Apple released Xcode 6 beta with changes that reflect the coding environments for Apple's upcoming platforms, including "Resizable iPhone" and "Resizable iPad" options. The new functions were first spotted by French blog Mac4Ever and hint at as-yet-unannounced hardware.

The options can be found in the iOS Simulator tool, which itself comes with new configurations that let developers group data and configuration settings together. While not mentioned specifically in the "What's New" release notes, the resizable iPhone and iPad elements suggest Apple is planning to debut new device sizes in the same timeline as the rollout of iOS 8.

Apple is widely expected to debut a larger 4.7-inch iPhone this fall, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" version to see launch in the weeks or months following. As for the iPad and iPad mini, some analysts believe larger-screened versions won't come until 2015 at the earliest, while upcoming refreshes will focus on Touch ID integration and possible speed boosts.

Developers can download the latest Xcode 6 beta from Apple's Developer Portal.
post #2 of 27

Been waiting for a 13” iPad for seven years.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 27
Quote:
 resizeable

BREAKING: Apple to release stretchable "one size fits all" iPhone that doubles as iPad

post #4 of 27

That's very needed. Good to see they've got it ready.

post #5 of 27
Guys, you have violated your NDA by posting this information.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Been waiting for a 13” iPad for seven years.

Yes - I think I would prefer a 13" to a 12", though I'd settle for either. Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #7 of 27
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

I don’t think they’ll be making one until they can, certainly. The first-gen iPad will be both the size and weight maximum for any larger model.

post #8 of 27
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #9 of 27
Quote:

Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

I don’t think they’ll be making one until they can, certainly. The first-gen iPad will be both the size and weight maximum for any larger model.

I agree. And it surely wouldn't be as thick and bulky as the first-gen; also, because the weight would be more spread out, I daresay it wouldn't even feel as heavy.

post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Apparently Foxconn is confirming? What? 

http://www.gsmarena.com/foxconn_announces_deal_to_manufacture_47_and_55inch_iphones-news-8678.php

Wow! Would Apple really allow Foxconn to make that announcement, or is this just another rumour masquerading as fact?

post #11 of 27

I like that URL. Great going with the prediction, guys.

post #12 of 27
Sweet! WWDC is not done yet and we are back on iPhone 6!
post #13 of 27
Quote:

Apparently Foxconn is confirming? What? 

http://www.gsmarena.com/foxconn_announces_deal_to_manufacture_47_and_55inch_iphones-news-8678.php

The link states that FoxConn issues a press release and then quotes the "press release."

Since when does a company's press release begin with "According the sources," ???

post #14 of 27

A larger iPad, or an iPad Pro, or whatever the hell it's going to be called is definitely a day one purchase for me. Bring it on.

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A larger iPad, or an iPad Pro, or whatever the hell it's going to be called is definitely a day one purchase for me. Bring it on.

Sorry you won't be able to since you swore off all Apple products if the Beats deal went through. That was you wasn't it?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #16 of 27
Quote:

I like that URL. Great going with the prediction, guys.

I didn't know Foxconn was located in Mumbai.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Sorry you won't be able to since you swore off all Apple products if the Beats deal went through. That was you wasn't it?

It's no big secret that I was not happy when I first heard about the Beats rumor, but I'd like to see proof of what you claim, because I don't believe that I ever claimed what you are claiming about me.

I do remember saying something about never buying an Apple product if it had any Beats logo on it.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's no big secret that I was not happy when I first heard about the Beats rumor, but I'd like to see proof of what you claim, because I don't believe that I ever claimed what you are claiming about me.

I do remember saying something about never buying an Apple product if it had any Beats logo on it.

It might not have been you then which is why I asked. A few here did make statements to that effect though. 

post #19 of 27
ummmm why wouldn't apple include this option?
It makes it easier for developers in case apple decides to release different size devices.
post #20 of 27

I think the French don't understand what "resizable" means.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 27
would resizability be needed for split screen multitasking?
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

would resizability be needed for split screen multitasking?

Just what I was thinking. 

post #23 of 27
Has anyone considered that this might be referring to split-screen multitasking functionality?
post #24 of 27

What no-one seems to have considered is that resizability might enable split-screen functionality.

post #25 of 27
Quote:

What no-one seems to have considered is that resizability might enable split-screen functionality.

1) Branden mentions it.

2) That would seem to assume that you'd get windowed iOS apps that you can scale like a Mac app but I can't see how that would be a reasonable solution.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

1) Branden mentions it.

2) That would seem to assume that you'd get windowed iOS apps that you can scale like a Mac app but I can't see how that would be a reasonable solution.

He mentions it, but he doesn't mention the enabling of it. That is to say, the possibility that resizability might enable split-screen functionality.

post #27 of 27

Yes, It great news ! we are definitely ready to get bigger screen iphone and ipad.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Latest Xcode 6 beta hints at large screen iPhones and iPads