or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground

Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground

post #1 of 69
In the three months ending in April, Apple's iPhone remains the top smartphone in the U.S. with over 41 percent marketshare, but subscribership contracted slightly as rival Samsung's grew over the same period.

The latest statistics from market research firm comScore were released on Tuesday and show Apple ranked as the No. 1 smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. by subscriber marketshare during the three months ending in April.

Apple's various iPhone models raked in 41.4 percent of smartphone users, though the number was down 0.2 points from the quarter ending in January. Rival handset maker Samsung grew its share of the American market by 1 percent over the same period, ending with a 27.7 percent marketshare.

Trailing Apple and Samsung was LG with 6.5 percent of the market, Motorola with 6.3 percent and HTC with 5.3 percent. All three OEMs saw declines in user base over the three-month interval.

Google's Android operating system once again topped the list in April with 52.5 percent of the market, up 0.8 percent from the January period. Apple came in second with 41.4 percent, while Microsoft's Windows platforms came in with 3.3 percent. Blackberry and Symbian rounded out the top five with 2.5 percent and 0.2 percent of the market, respectively.

comScore found 167.9 people owned a smartphone in the U.S. over the three-month period, equating to a 69.6 percent mobile market penetration. The number is up 5 percent compared to the January quarter.
post #2 of 69
HTC, LG and Motorola are doomed lol
post #3 of 69
Not bad, considering these three months included the release of Samsung's and HTC's flagship smartphones...
post #4 of 69
Great positive news for Apple, in latest shocker and appaling news for Android which can't make any significant inroads into market hawking current crop of excrement from "leading" Android vendors, Apple's notoriously down quarter for iPhone sales after Christmas shopping season basically flat, bodes well for stellar rest of year leading into new products for Fall. I can hear it now "what! arggggg how is it possible our new HTC and Samsung phones are not racing out the doors?" hmm I wonder ! No doubt they will resort to discounting and scrambling to add stupid features in a pathetic attempt to sell more phones and for the Fandroids to jerk off upon and deride Apple for not having right thru the summer!
Edited by Paul94544 - 6/3/14 at 3:04pm
post #5 of 69

Listened to Andy Ihnatko today on MacBreak Weekly. The subject of Apple being declared ‘doomed’ by various analysts and commentators came up. The entire panel, including Leo LaPort, agreed that these people are laughable and to be made fun of. Both Ihnatko and LaPort said if the promises of iOS 8 and a larger screen iPhone are realized they would no longer have any reason to continue using Android devices. From LaPort that’s saying something.

post #6 of 69
Is Microsoft a rounding error! Sorry I had to take a cheap shot, couldn't resist it! 3.1 -> 3.2% in 3 months whoa, way to go
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Listened to Andy Ihnatko today on MacBreak Weekly. The subject of Apple being declared ‘doomed’ by various analysts and commentators came up. The entire panel, including Leo LaPort, agreed that these people are laughable and to be made fun of. Both Ihnatko and LaPort said if the promises of iOS 8 and a larger screen iPhone are realized they would no longer have any reason to continue using Android devices. From LaPort that’s saying something.

All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.

post #9 of 69
Larger iPhone = Knockout punch from Apple.

Add that attack to Android's weaknesses: lack of 64bit support, fragmented "business friendly" security model, and Google's generally ad-mongering ways, and I can see a whole ton of folks in my office with a new iPhone this fall, including me (been waiting for touchID for a year).
post #10 of 69
Quote:

That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.

Smartphone market penetration is so high that I doubt you're a very common case.

If Apple does leave smaller screen sizes behind, it will be interesting to see whether Samsung etc. try to take advantage.

But I suspect that most  Apple customers will continue to believe that Apple's making the right sized screens, whatever that size happens to be this year. 

post #11 of 69
According to the comScore MobiLens data, Apple had 27.8% of all US cellphone subscribers in January, and 28.8% in April. Their share of people grew as much as usual. The fact that their share of the "Smartphone Market" shrunk slightly just means they didn't grow quite as fast as feature phones are disappearing.
post #12 of 69

I just learned today that my own friggin' Mom just bought a Note 3! I feel so betrayed. I don't want that thing in my house.

It was so against my advice; she just couldn't wait. All of her friends have one and she followed their advice. It was all about the bigger screen. First my mother-in-law and now her.

On the bright side, if something goes wrong with it, I'll can send her to the Samsung Mensa Bar...oh, wait....:D

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #13 of 69
Quote:

Yeah, bullshit. They'll find something else to bitch about. Google will have something new by then and they'll use that as an excuse to stick with Android. They're both trolls, especially ihnatko.
post #14 of 69
Quote:

That is where I'm interested in handling the 4.7" variant. If they're not going to transition the 5s form forward than the 4.7 will need to feel right and I have expectations it will as Apple doesn't strike me as completely committed to BIG, hence the two sizes of the rumored 6. Though it's more about portability for me as I make so few voice calls I keep questioning why I even bother (versus an LTE mini) and it's the pocket size keeps me with a phone.

For my large screen real-estate needs I've got an Air and others probably a mini so....

post #15 of 69
Quote:

I highly doubt Apple will lose very many people going from a 4" screen to the rumored 4.7" screen. You can still easily hold a 4.7" phone in one hand. I don't think Apple is going to make a new 4" phone. 

post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Smartphone market penetration is so high that I doubt you're a very common case.

If Apple does leave smaller screen sizes behind, it will be interesting to see whether Samsung etc. try to take advantage.

But I suspect that most  Apple customers will continue to believe that Apple's making the right sized screens, whatever that size happens to be this year. 

I'm sure some people will complain if Apple makes only one iPhone model and it's bigger than the current one. The big question is whether they'll switch to a different platform if that happens. I think not because even the "mini" versions of Android phones are bigger than the current iPhone and they tend to be crippled from a specifications standpoint.

post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That is where I'm interested in handling the 4.7" variant. If they're not going to transition the 5s form forward than the 4.7 will need to feel right and I have expectations it will as Apple doesn't strike me as completely committed to BIG, hence the two sizes of the rumored 6. Though it's more about portability for me as I make so few voice calls I keep questioning why I even bother (versus an LTE mini) and it's the pocket size keeps me with a phone.

For my large screen real-estate needs I've got an Air and others probably a mini so....

It will be interesting to see what happens. Will Apple still keep the 4s around or drop that and just keep the two new sized iPhones and the 5c? 

post #18 of 69

We're only talking about rumors, after all, strengthening though they may be as release nears.

People are suggesting that Apple would move all production to the new size,

but I don't see why the rumor of a larger model precludes keeping the current form factor as well,

a design for which Apple always had very cogent justification.

My daughter, whose existence, as nearly as I can tell, revolves around her iPhone (to the exclusion of

her MacBook and iPad(s) ), would certainly switch.

Conversely I, inveterate geezer that I am,

while having increasing difficulty even seeing that much detail on my iPhone screen,

except to marvel at my apparent lack of photographic expertise,

might very well not switch, for the oft-stated 'hand-' and 'pocket-' reasons...

​(that might not have come out quite right?):embarrass

post #19 of 69
Don't worry, all those new Samsung buyers will be in an iPhone next time! 1biggrin.gif
post #20 of 69
2.2% YoY gain. Pretty good trend.

Too bad AI does not the next step in digging up last years data.
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm sure some people will complain if Apple makes only one iPhone model and it's bigger than the current one. The big question is whether they'll switch to a different platform if that happens. I think not because even the "mini" versions of Android phones are bigger than the current iPhone and they tend to be crippled from a specifications standpoint.

I am one of the people that prefers the smaller size. I have a 2 year contract with my carrier and have upgraded on a 2 year cycle. I prefer the size of the 4 but the 5 was ok so I upgraded. I am out of contract in September or October. If Apple brings out only larger phones I will likely not upgrade and will stay with my iphone 5 until it will no longer support the latest version of the operating system. Apple will get a boost from Android switchers who are fixated on screen size but will lose a bunch of upgrades from people like me.

For me the latest features are not enough to drive an upgrade if the size is not right. I suspect there are many like me. Given that the smartphone market is starting to move toward saturation (at least in the developed world) I think this behaviour will be noticed by the carriers who are keen to lock people in using the upgrade cycle and the message will get back to apple. If as I suspect Apple does leave some upgraders by the wayside it will address the issue before the 5 becomes obsolete and will no longer run the latest version of the operating system.

I would even be happy with an upgraded version of the iPhone 4/4s form factor if it would guarantee my compatibility with ios 8,9,10 and a few of the key technologies like the fingerprint scanner
post #22 of 69

Lately I have seen a number of women with those frigging monster phones up to their ear. They look like complete idiots and I would be willing to bet they have never seen themselves in a photo with such a brick next to their head. Some are so fashion conscious they couldn't possibly believe they look so stupid! It's like a gigantic ear-muff, one half of one.

Some dweeby guys use that big-assed phone too. Is the whole world that way? Probably not. Whatever happened to "inconspicuous?"

But, all in all, even here in the "backwards" midwest, I see a lot of iPhones being used by anyone with a few dollars in their pockets. I think Google or Samsung think too much of those phones with a million features on them. Most don't know their phone that well or prefer to not spend ALL their time on one.

Business is one thing, using a phone as a toy is something else.

post #23 of 69
How can Samsung not increase their share when they promote by drastically reduced pricing and BOGO sales. They may have a lot of phones out there but the money bleed has to hurt after a while.
post #24 of 69
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I feel same as you. But I have not seen anything to suggest (really) that existing iPhone screen size was going to cease. I hope it will not.

(Of course, no final judgements until I see the new 4.7" unit.)

post #25 of 69
Apple has the manufacturing infrastructure to offer the current form factor and these upcoming factors, period.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Not bad, considering these three months included the release of Samsung's and HTC's flagship smartphones...

What's weird is... Samsung launches a flagship and their market share goes up a tiny bit in the US.

But HTC launches a flagship and their market share goes down a tiny bit in the US.

It's been pretty bad times for HTC over the past few years... it would be a shame for them to disappear.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

How can Samsung not increase their share when they promote by drastically reduced pricing and BOGO sales. They may have a lot of phones out there but the money bleed has to hurt after a while.
I think 1% is kind of sad considering the number of ads and carriers pushing them like they are the only phone. I called At&t for service today and their on hold message was even pushing Samsung.
post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I think 1% is kind of sad considering the number of ads and carriers pushing them like they are the only phone. I called At&t for service today and their on hold message was even pushing Samsung.

Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.
Not with the money they were spending, during Apple quiet time
post #30 of 69
Quote:

Sure it is. Look at their nearest competitor. They're 21.2 percentage points ahead of them. Stop paying attention to the gap between 1 & 2, and look at the gap between 2 & 3.
post #31 of 69
Quote:

I like that.... quiet time.

Reminds me of:

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

Lately I have seen a number of women with those frigging monster phones up to their ear. 

99% of the time -- actually probably more than 99% of the time -- I use my phone as a pocket-sized computer rather than as a phone. Thus screen size trumps the rare occasions when some anonymous person on the internet might judge me for having a "big" smartphone that's still quite a bit smaller than cell phones from ten years ago.

post #33 of 69
Quote:

99% of the time -- actually probably more than 99% of the time -- I use my phone as a pocket-sized computer rather than as a phone. Thus screen size trumps the rare occasions when some anonymous person on the internet might judge me for having a "big" smartphone that's still quite a bit smaller than cell phones from ten years ago.
I don't remember any giant cell phones 10 years ago. I still have my Palm Treo which was pretty big for the time. It's thicker but otherwise smaller than even the first iPhone. If that was my use I would go with an iPad or mini and make calls from Skype or iMessage via FaceTime Audio.
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

So why didn't the very same thing help HTC? The HTC One (M8) was immediately put on a BOGO sale and their sales are down.
post #35 of 69
Quote:

I don't remember any giant cell phones 10 years ago. I still have my Palm Treo which was pretty big for the time. It's thicker but otherwise smaller than even the first iPhone. If that was my use I would go with an iPad or mini and make calls from Skype or iMessage via FaceTime Audio.

An iPad, even a mini, doesn't fit in a pocket. I like my iPad, but I don't like having to carry something extra around with me that won't fit in my clothing if I don't have to. I prefer not to carry a briefcase or purse or, god forbid, a fanny pack. I can read documents on a 5" screen just fine, and even edit them when it comes to text. If I want to do anything more than that, I'm not likely to be doing it out in public anyway.

10 years ago I had a Nextel i1000 (egad, a flip phone -- I still believe they're more comfortable as phones, but my overall point is that my smartphone is not mainly a phone). My wife also had an i1000, but was about to switch to a PPC6700. Both may have been shorter (when folded up) than my current phone -- or an iPhone -- but they were substantially bulkier. 

Do people really think of these devices mainly as phones? How much do you really talk on it as opposed to texting or computing on it? If you're worried about image, I'd worry more about people thinking you're computing with a screen that's too small than that you're talking on a brick. 

Anyway, the differences are minor:

The 5s, without a case, is 124x59x8 mm. 

The Nexus 5, without a case, is 138x69x9 mm, a centimeter bigger in two dimensions than the iPhone, but not thicker. I wear a men's small or women's medium glove, and have no trouble operating it with one hand.

It's not like a two-seater roadster vs. a large SUV; it's like a two-seater convertible vs. a small sedan.

My wife's PPC6700, without a case, was 108x59x24 mm. Now that's a brick, even though the horizontal and vertical are the same or smaller than the 5s. 

post #36 of 69
Baloney. Guess why they use a three month period that does not coincide with the reports of Att and Verizon?

The last quarter apple took 70 percent of the smartphone sales on these carriers. By having a time period not matching the quarterly reports, they can continue their scam.
post #37 of 69
Quote:

The 5s, without a case, is 124x59x8 mm. 

The Nexus 5, without a case, is 138x69x9 mm, a centimeter bigger in two dimensions than the iPhone, but not thicker. I wear a men's small or women's medium glove, and have no trouble operating it with one hand.

It's not like a two-seater roadster vs. a large SUV; it's like a two-seater convertible vs. a small sedan.

My wife's PPC6700, without a case, was 108x59x24 mm. Now that's a brick, even though the horizontal and vertical are the same or smaller than the 5s. 

I had a buddy in college who had one of these. (ah the 90's... a time when cell phones were still kinda rare)

He pretty much carried it in his hand most of the time. It didn't really fit in a pocket.

And the thing ONLY made phone calls... such a primitive time! 1biggrin.gif

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Baloney. Guess why they use a three month period that does not coincide with the reports of Att and Verizon?

The last quarter apple took 70 percent of the smartphone sales on these carriers. By having a time period not matching the quarterly reports, they can continue their scam.

Have a link to back that claim up?
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I had a buddy in college who had one of these. (ah the 90's... a time when cell phones were still kinda rare)

He pretty much carried it in his hand most of the time. It didn't really fit in a pocket.

And the thing ONLY made phone calls... such a primitive time! 1biggrin.gif

Imagine that, a phone that only made phone calls. What were they thinking? lol.gif
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So why didn't the very same thing help HTC? The HTC One (M8) was immediately put on a BOGO sale and their sales are down.

Samsung's marketing hype is sucking all the air out of the room.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground