or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground

Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

All.
The.
People.
You.
Know.
With.
Android.
Phones...

All of them?
All of them.

OK. I need no other proof. You win.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

All.
The.
People.
You.
Know.
With.
Android.
Phones...

All of them?
All of them.

OK. I need no other proof. You win.

What did I win? 

My whole point was Apple will gain a ton of new customers with a larger screen iPhone. All I did was give an example of the people I know who will be switching to Apple when the iPhone 6 is released. I'm obviously not talking about everyone. Based on polls I've seen at various tech sites, a larger screen iPhone is going to be extremely popular. 

post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So why didn't the very same thing help HTC? The HTC One (M8) was immediately put on a BOGO sale and their sales are down.

How many $M did HTC spend and continue to spend on print, TV and radio marketing blitz's? How many $M did HTC give to the providers to promote their phone above all other phones? Not much I am thinking.

post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

HTC, LG and Motorola are doomed lol

I see where you got that from the first table in the story, but did you notice that Nokia/MS and BlackBerry didn't even make the table... that makes them the Zombie brands!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.

Fear not, Apple will still be selling a 4" iPhone. It will be an iPhone 5s for sure and very likely one of the iPhone 6 choices. The vast market of smart phone buyers love the 4" size as shown by Apple's sales. The large screen smart phones may prove to be a short term demand created by Samsung's massive marketing. Apparently, the demand that Apple build such a device is not supported by Samsung's actual sales numbers (as discovered during the recent Apple/Samsung trial). When I want a nice-sized screen, I turn to my iPad, and when I want some serious real estate I have my 27" iMac...
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, bullshit. They'll find something else to bitch about. Google will have something new by then and they'll use that as an excuse to stick with Android. They're both trolls, especially ihnatko.

Sometime in the next 12 months I expect a new malware exploit will burn through the bulk of the Android devices over night, emptying bank accounts and bricking phones like the black plague. In the aftermath I imagine these same MBMS* will blame the banking system rather then the phones.

*Male Bovine Manure Spreaders
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm sure some people will complain if Apple makes only one iPhone model and it's bigger than the current one. The big question is whether they'll switch to a different platform if that happens. I think not because even the "mini" versions of Android phones are bigger than the current iPhone and they tend to be crippled from a specifications standpoint.

To be hobnst that works in both ways with both sides. We are at the point were no one switches unless given a good reason. Generally that's a feeling one of the companies burned you. Most switchers I know its because things like my battery died to fast, Apps crashed too fast, I can't customize it, the screen is to small/big. People no longer switch for features they switch after they have a problem. Its annoying to switch now. You have to Change what you are used to. Most of the new features are for new people not switchers. I have an android phone and in all honesty Google has to truely mess up for me to switch there is no compelling feature that will ever make me switch when I comfortable. Humans are programmed to settle. We don't leave our mates whenever we see a more attractive one we leave when something goes wrong. (Majority of humans)
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Sometime in the next 12 months I expect a new malware exploit will burn through the bulk of the Android devices over night, emptying bank accounts and bricking phones like the black plague. In the aftermath I imagine these same MBMS* will blame the banking system rather then the phones.

*Male Bovine Manure Spreaders

Highly doubtful. While majority of mobile malware is on android majority of android phones do not have any malware.

It requires multiple steps to get a malware exploit onto your android phone. Its not as simple as just going to a bad website. Their is a process and warnings.
post #49 of 69
I seriously can't see Apple dropping the current 5s 4" size this round of updates. The ROI on the machines and processes to manufacturer it just adds to their profit margins at this point, which allows them to bring one or even 2 larger iPhones to market at a seriously competitive price. I also don't think it's below Apple to simply add some internal spec bumps to the 5s and call it a day on that size, while the larger sizes will surely need the A8 to push the added pixels up to Apple's and it's customer's preferred speeds and fluidity.

The iPhone and iPads are the new MacBooks and iMacs of this era of computing, so it stands to reason that we fans will be able to enjoy a choice in size, power and price point.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

How many $M did HTC spend and continue to spend on print, TV and radio marketing blitz's? How many $M did HTC give to the providers to promote their phone above all other phones? Not much I am thinking.

How much did Apple spend? They're number 1, so who do you mimic the first place or second place company?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Not bad, considering these three months included the release of Samsung's and HTC's flagship smartphones...

Both companies plan to releade upscale version of their current flagship to compete with LG new G3 new Quad HD.
Samsung is called Galaxy F Prime.
HTC is called HTC ONE M8 PRIME.

Both will have 2X HD and metal back cases along with more powerful SoC.
post #52 of 69
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

“My phone’s OS was hacked. This is just proof that capitalism doesn’t work!” :lol: 

post #53 of 69
Quote:

Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.

This is pretty pathetic given that Samsung launched their new flagship phone, Galaxy S5, more recently than Apple introduced their last update.  Samsung should have made up more ground during this period.

post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It will be interesting to see what happens. Will Apple still keep the 4s around or drop that and just keep the two new sized iPhones and the 5c? 

Yes, given the report is iOS 8 will be supported on the 4s. So it will be a functional option any way.

And heck, I STILL look at that one (the 4s) and the best looking one...)

post #55 of 69

AI said 

"comScore found 167.9 people owned a smartphone in the U.S. over the three-month period, equating to a 69.6 percent mobile market penetration. The number is up 5 percent compared to the January quarter. "

Funny, I thought more than 167.9 people in America owned a smartphone.  Are you the 0.9  TS??

Would be nice if you authors on AI  could make a small effort to proof read the junk you write .. I know it's a lot to ask of you.

post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

This is pretty pathetic given that Samsung launched their new flagship phone, Galaxy S5, more recently than Apple introduced their last update.  Samsung should have made up more ground during this period.

The SGS 3 was released 2 yrs ago. Anyone that was as many claim here "suckered and conned" into buying one would have switched to the iPhone immediately at the expiration of their contract. I was expecting a big drop by Samsung but instead they grew. So that tells me that most of those 'suckers' bought another SGS as did some iPhone owners.
post #57 of 69
Quote:

The SGS 3 was released 2 yrs ago. Anyone that was as many claim here "suckered and conned" into buying one would have switched to the iPhone immediately at the expiration of their contract. I was expecting a big drop by Samsung but instead they grew. So that tells me that most of those 'suckers' bought another SGS as did some iPhone owners.

Or people migrated "up" from simpler phones and feature phones. Of which there is still a very large pool.

post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Quote:

Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.

That's up to April and S5 only been out maybe a week or so. That 1% gain by samsung is pretty impressive given that most of the period in question is the tail end before s5 was released. The 3 months from apr would see a much larger market share increase for Samsung.
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Or people migrated "up" from simpler phones and feature phones. Of which there is still a very large pool.

True but those would account for 0.2 percentage points.
post #60 of 69
And now let's look at worldwide figures. Apple now hovers at 15% global market share.

From BGR for Q1 2014:

Samsung leads the list, but found its market share dropped to 31.2% from 32.4% in Q1 2013.

Apple%u2019s global smartphone market share dropped to 15.3% from 17.5% in Q1 2013.

Huawei and Lenovo found themselves in the Nos. 3 and 4 spots on Strategy Analytics%u2019 list, with LG rounding out the top five.

Finally, as has been the case in the past several quarters, Samsung%u2019s smartphone shipments in the first quarter were greater than shipments from all of its top competitors combined.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

And now let's look at worldwide figures. Apple now hovers at 15% global market share.

From BGR for Q1 2014:

Samsung leads the list, but found its market share dropped to 31.2% from 32.4% in Q1 2013.

Apple%u2019s global smartphone market share dropped to 15.3% from 17.5% in Q1 2013.

Huawei and Lenovo found themselves in the Nos. 3 and 4 spots on Strategy Analytics%u2019 list, with LG rounding out the top five.

Finally, as has been the case in the past several quarters, Samsung%u2019s smartphone shipments in the first quarter were greater than shipments from all of its top competitors combined.

Meaningless if a high percentage of those handsets are only used for rudimentary basics.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

From BGR for Q1 2014:

Samsung is in the #1 spot as a manufacturer... but that doesn't mean the #2 and below are failures.

Honda will never sell as many cars as Toyota... so should we be worried about Honda?

Of course not. And the same is true for Apple.

Apple happens to be #2 by shipments... but that's not exactly the death sentence you think it is.

And don't forget.... market share is just the percentage of sales over the last 3 months... and it's based on the size of the entire market.

You're quick to point out that Apple's share has decreased... but you completely ignored the fact that Apple's sales have increased.

That's the funny thing about percentages.
post #63 of 69
Quote:

True but those would account for 0.2 percentage points.

Howso? The charts don't even recognize feature phones and it's far from a zero sum game when you don't show all the possible inputs. So any Samsung growth could be the results of a lot of factors. Correlation not being causation...

Edited by jfc1138 - 6/5/14 at 1:07pm
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Howso? The charts don't even recognize feature phones and it's far from a zero sum game when you don't show all the possible inputs. So any Samsung growth could be the results of a lot of factors. Correlation not being causation...

Because the others add up to. 08%, so where did the other. 02% come from?
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Meaningless if a high percentage of those handsets are only used for rudimentary basics.

Out of curiosity, why's that meaningless? An iPhone can also be used for "rudimentary basics." My mother-in-law uses hers that way.

post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Out of curiosity, why's that meaningless? An iPhone can also be used for "rudimentary basics." My mother-in-law uses hers that way.

So does my girlfriend, and a plethora of people that I know. They use it only for texting. FB, Twitter, and IG.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

From developers hoping to cash in on mobile's perspective.

Usage statistics are a far more valuable measure, that and profit share.

How much longer can the companies three and below keep sustaining losses?

post #68 of 69
hmmm

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“My phone’s OS was hacked. This is just proof that capitalism doesn’t work!” " src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif"> 

My concerns are not only the massive data breaches that will ensue but what if the hack attempts a DDOS attack which brings AT&T and Verizons network to its knees?

As an iPhone user I won't be able to make a call or get data access and I don't think it will be possible for this expolit to be stopped either. Even if a patch is issued most of the Android phones can't get an update to stop it and their phones will be constanly launching attacks without their owners having any idea their phone is one of millions with the virus /time bomb attempting connections and choking the cell phone network! Imagine if it is primed to go off say every day at same time or at anniversaries of certain dates like 9/11 or make calls or blast random numbers in Phones address book with text messages! or huge blasting video and photos out!

Imagine the bills of millions of accounts suddenly going from < 2Gig of data per month up to 20-30 Gigs as the photos get sent out.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground