or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple brings user customization to iOS 8 Notification Center, share buttons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple brings user customization to iOS 8 Notification Center, share buttons

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Customization will be a key part of Apple's upcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system, as users will gain the ability to choose widgets for the Notification Center's "Today" view, and also control which functions are available via the system's multipurpose Sharing Extension menus.




In the first beta of iOS 8 provided to developers this week, scrolling to the bottom of the Today screen in Notification Center presents a brand new "Edit" button. Pressing this then brings up a list of items included in the Today view, which can be rearranged or deleted.

By default, the Today view in iOS 8 has the following items in this order:
  • Today
  • Traffic Conditions
  • Calendar
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Tomorrow Summary





Removing one of these moves it to a "Do Not Include" space, hiding it from the Today view. Today Summary and Traffic Conditions are permanently pinned to the top of the view if they are left displayed, while Tomorrow Summary sits at the bottom. Users can rearrange the order of Calendar, Reminders and Stocks.

Of course, third-party applications downloaded from the App Store will be able to come with their own Notification Center widgets in iOS 8. This means users will be able to add widgets of their choosing for quick access to information like sports scores or current eBay auctions -- two uses highlighted by Apple at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.




Customization in iOS 8 will also extend to Sharing Extensions, the quick multi-purpose menu buttons Apple has scattered throughout its mobile operating system. Previously, users were provided with a set of potential actions with built-in and third-party apps listed in a predetermined fashion.

But with iOS 8, users will be able to scroll and tap a "More" button that will allow them to customize the layout and list of potential actions in a Share Sheets button.




This customization includes the ability to remove listings for third-party services that users may not utilize, such as Flickr or Vimeo. And if a user typically shares a picture or video to Facebook or Twitter, the sharing options can be reorganized to make those services the top two choices.

The customization also extends to additional controls found in the share button, allowing users to reorganize tasks such as Copy, Slideshow, AirPlay, Assign to Contact, Use as Wallpaper, or Print.

post #2 of 33
One of the better iOS 8 features. This will be limitless once 3rd party Apps are updated with their own creative widgets and share functionality.
post #3 of 33
Any changes to control center? I'd love to put personal hotspot in there. But with the hotspot changes Craig talked about maybe it's not necessary anymore? So when my iPad has wifi turned off and is near my phone it will automatically prompt me to connect to my phone?
post #4 of 33
Seems like it's gonna be a long set up time to individually go into every app and tell it what you want it to do .
post #5 of 33
I love that Apple added customization without adding complexity.

Novice users will easily be able to add widgets from apps they already have without having to go to a separate widget store (ie OS X) and with the simple "More" option in the share sheet it's easy to customize share options for apps that already have social sharing capabilities.

IMO iOS 8 is a home run. Apple listened to customers that wanted more customization without adding layers of complexity and confusion (ie Android).
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

One of the better iOS 8 features. This will be limitless once 3rd party Apps are updated with their own creative widgets and share functionality.

Agreed.

For those that feel iOS 8 was a minor release on the feature side, they simply don't see the limitless potential apple has given developers to make iOS 8 the most powerful usable iOS yet.

The addition of customizable widgets and sharing is huge for iOS and huge for the consumer.

Yes android had those features, but they were not implemented as elegantly and as user friendly as Apple has presented with iOS 8. Consumers will have no problem taking advantage of all iOS 8 has to offer.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Agreed.

For those that feel iOS 8 was a minor release on the feature side, they simply don't see the limitless potential apple has given developers to make iOS 8 the most powerful usable iOS yet.

The addition of customizable widgets and sharing is huge for iOS and huge for the consumer.

Yes android had those features, but they were not implemented as elegantly and as user friendly as Apple has presented with iOS 8. Consumers will have no problem taking advantage of all iOS 8 has to offer.

I agree. It is basically the following philosophy.

 

Android: You can do {insert function here} from the get go. Figure out how you want to do it.

iOS: No, you can't do {insert function here}. [Year later] No, still can't do that. [Another year later] Ok, here it is, and here is how it will be implemented.

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Any changes to control center? I'd love to put personal hotspot in there. But with the hotspot changes Craig talked about maybe it's not necessary anymore? So when my iPad has wifi turned off and is near my phone it will automatically prompt me to connect to my phone?

I don't think control center is seeing any changes. The mobile hotspot changes do sound more convenient as long as you are connecting from an Apple device.

I haven't really played around with hotspots that much, but I think they do connect using wifi, so your iPad would need to have wifi turned on. I'm hoping that the system will be smart enough to default to a normal wifi network and automatically switch to a mobile hotspot when regular wifi isn't available. If that is the case, you could simulate the experience of having a cellular iPad without having the expense.

Either way, I doubt I will be buying any more cellular enabled iPads.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post


I don't think control center is seeing any changes. The mobile hotspot changes do sound more convenient as long as you are connecting from an Apple device.

I haven't really played around with hotspots that much, but I think they do connect using wifi, so your iPad would need to have wifi turned on. I'm hoping that the system will be smart enough to default to a normal wifi network and automatically switch to a mobile hotspot when regular wifi isn't available. If that is the case, you could simulate the experience of having a cellular iPad without having the expense.

Either way, I doubt I will be buying any more cellular enabled iPads.


iPad with cellular is not that much more expensive and the experience is much better. Hotspot kills the iPhone's battery life, so I don't see much practical use here, unless your iPad is RARELY connecting to it.

post #10 of 33

With Apple starting to open up iOS more and more, I think there's getting less and less reasons to jailbreak your iOS device. I don't do it anyways because I don't need to, but I'll make the assumption that its getting less and less necessary with newer iOS releases. I'm sure there are still things you can't do in iOS 8, but it looks like those things are going to come. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #11 of 33
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
With Apple starting to open up iOS more and more, I think there's getting less and less reasons to jailbreak your iOS device. I don't do it anyways because I don't need to, but I'll make the assumption that its getting less and less necessary with newer iOS releases. I'm sure there are still things you can't do in iOS 8, but it looks like those things are going to come. 

 

I jailbroke my iPad to run an N64 emulator (which was handy), and to change ONE number in ONE line of ONE plist that prevented me from outputting the OS systemwide to a screen. Because Apple felt, for some reason, that it couldn’t do it. But it can, gloriously.

 

It’s not jailbroken now, and I don’t imagine I’ll do it again, though I may. It’s not like there’s Whited00r for iPad, after all. :p

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post


iPad with cellular is not that much more expensive and the experience is much better. Hotspot kills the iPhone's battery life, so I don't see much practical use here, unless your iPad is RARELY connecting to it.

Yeah, that's the trade off. But for $120 plus a monthly fee, it's hard to justify cellular given the way I use my iPad. Mobile hotspot will work just fine for road trips where I can charge my devices off my car.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I love that Apple added customization without adding complexity.

Novice users will easily be able to add widgets from apps they already have without having to go to a separate widget store (ie OS X) and with the simple "More" option in the share sheet it's easy to customize share options for apps that already have social sharing capabilities.

IMO iOS 8 is a home run. Apple listened to customers that wanted more customization without adding layers of complexity and confusion (ie Android).

I believe this has long been one of Apple's greatest strengths and goes a long way in customers' minds. This will definitely lead to further success for Apple, IMHO.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

With Apple starting to open up iOS more and more, I think there's getting less and less reasons to jailbreak your iOS device. I don't do it anyways because I don't need to, but I'll make the assumption that its getting less and less necessary with newer iOS releases. I'm sure there are still things you can't do in iOS 8, but it looks like those things are going to come. 

I think the fact that we have barely heard anything about jailbreaking in the last year is evidence that this is already taking place.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Seems like it's gonna be a long set up time to individually go into every app and tell it what you want it to do .

 

No longer than a regular widget.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

I jailbroke my iPad to run an N64 emulator (which was handy), and to change ONE number in ONE line of ONE plist that prevented me from outputting the OS systemwide to a screen. Because Apple felt, for some reason, that it couldn’t do it. But it can, gloriously.

 

It’s not jailbroken now, and I don’t imagine I’ll do it again, though I may. It’s not like there’s Whited00r for iPad, after all. :p

 

I want this!

 

On a related note... It's so funny the effect one good WWDC keynote can have on the perception of Apple. There is now a palpable sense of the direction Apple is going and real excitement from developers about what is possible. There's almost as much excitement as when Steve first introduced the iPhone. I'm serious!


Edited by SpamSandwich - 6/4/14 at 1:23pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #17 of 33
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's so funny the effect one good WWDC keynote can have on the perception of Apple. There is now a palpable sense of the direction Apple is going and real excitement from developers about what is possible.

 

It was probably the most feature-filled keynote since before the iPhone 4S announcement. It had a lot of depth to it that we’ve been missing for a little while. That goes a long way to turning around the doomsayers.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

It was probably the most feature-filled keynote since before the iPhone 4S announcement. It had a lot of depth to it that we’ve been missing for a little while. That goes a long way to turning around the doomsayers.

 

It's been a lot of fun trying to catch the backpedalers and pundits who were blathering about iWatches and such before the keynote.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Any changes to control center? I'd love to put personal hotspot in there. But with the hotspot changes Craig talked about maybe it's not necessary anymore? So when my iPad has wifi turned off and is near my phone it will automatically prompt me to connect to my phone?

I don't think control center is seeing any changes. The mobile hotspot changes do sound more convenient as long as you are connecting from an Apple device.

I haven't really played around with hotspots that much, but I think they do connect using wifi, so your iPad would need to have wifi turned on. I'm hoping that the system will be smart enough to default to a normal wifi network and automatically switch to a mobile hotspot when regular wifi isn't available. If that is the case, you could simulate the experience of having a cellular iPad without having the expense.

Either way, I doubt I will be buying any more cellular enabled iPads.

Me too. If you have an iPhone, what do you gain from having a cellular iPad? GPS is the only thing I can think of. Of course, battery life drains quicker on the iPhone, but other than those two things, that's it. And if I need to add data, I can do it on the iPhone. Might as well save £80 and get wifi only.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #20 of 33

Can someone kindly post a screenshot of the new iOS 8 Share Sheet in Safari please?

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I love that Apple added customization without adding complexity.

Novice users will easily be able to add widgets from apps they already have without having to go to a separate widget store (ie OS X) and with the simple "More" option in the share sheet it's easy to customize share options for apps that already have social sharing capabilities.

IMO iOS 8 is a home run. Apple listened to customers that wanted more customization without adding layers of complexity and confusion (ie Android).

If you consider tying your shoes as confusing and complex, then I imagine you think the same of Android customization. 

post #22 of 33
Ah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

If you consider tying your shoes as confusing and complex, then I imagine you think the same of Android customization. 

Ah, so that's what an Android fanboy sounds like. I had never actually met one in real life yet. Lol.
post #23 of 33

I don't see the traffic conditions in my Today tab.  Do they only appear when relevant to my location?

post #24 of 33
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I don't see the traffic conditions in my Today tab.  Do they only appear when relevant to my location?
I also am struggling with this. Weather is also not showing. I'm gonna give it a day or so and see what happens. Have you found a solution?
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

I

I also am struggling with this. Weather is also not showing. I'm gonna give it a day or so and see what happens. Have you found a solution?

Do you have location services disabled? Both traffic and weather need access to your current location.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Do you have location services disabled? Both traffic and weather need access to your current location.

That's not true. The OP should be able to input a location he/she wants the weather for without using location services.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's not true. The OP should be able to input a location he/she wants the weather for without using location services.

For weather notifications?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For weather notifications?

Yes. I hardly ever have my location services on. I just input a 'home', and I'll get notifications for that area.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes. I hardly ever have my location services on. I just input a 'home', and I'll get notifications for that area.
Ah, thank you sir. So you get notifications for where you say you are, not necessarily where you actually are. Frequent locations still need to be enabled for traffic notifications tho, correct?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

i
Ah, thank you sir. So you get notifications for where you say you are, not necessarily where you actually are. Frequent locations still need to be enabled for traffic notifications tho, correct?

That's correct.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 33

I tried out Yahoo's weather in the notifications pane and immediately removed it. Too big and poorly thought out. Haven't bothered to modify it any further.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I tried out Yahoo's weather in the notifications pane and immediately removed it. Too big and poorly thought out. Haven't bothered to modify it any further.
Yep, Yahoo's Weather app isn't the greatest. I prefer Accu Weather myself. And I think this is where I was having issues with the weather appearing in the Notifications Centre: I never used the Yahoo app; but as soon as I launched it, it popped up in Notification Centre.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

I tried out Yahoo's weather in the notifications pane and immediately removed it. Too big and poorly thought out. Haven't bothered to modify it any further.


The default weather is now the Weather Channel, not Yahoo. I prefer it to Yahoo.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple brings user customization to iOS 8 Notification Center, share buttons
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple brings user customization to iOS 8 Notification Center, share buttons