or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre painted as resolute perfectionist, compared to Steve Jobs in WSJ profile
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dr. Dre painted as resolute perfectionist, compared to Steve Jobs in WSJ profile - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dr. Dre is described as a perfectionist, workaholic and someone who relies on their gut -- like late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

http://thevarguy.com/business-technology-solution-sales/030314/apple-chief-cook-becoming-more-steve-jobs "Is Apple Chief Cook Becoming More Like Steve Jobs?"
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11814392/1/like-steve-jobs-tim-cook-doesnt-care-about-apple-stock.html "Like Steve Jobs, Tim Cook Doesn't Care About Apple Stock"
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/29/tech/web/jobs-excerpt-cook/ "Like Steve Jobs, Apple's Tim Cook replies to fans' e-mails"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/23/3038199/jony-ive-design-inspiration "Jony Ive, like Steve Jobs, credits his father as design inspiration"
http://www.fastcolabs.com/3021966/just-how-important-is-jony-ive-to-apple "Just like Steve Jobs led a company full of great talent, Ive leads a studio full of great talent."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/13/ios_chief_scott_forstall_profiled_as_a_maddeningly_political_mini_steve_jobs
http://www.cultofmac.com/200846/former-apple-engineer-says-firing-scott-forstall-was-a-big-mistake/ "Lopp admits that Forstall was a jerk — just like Steve Jobs could be"
http://www.overthought.org/blog/2013/08/25/scott-forstall-microsoft-ceo "It just so happens that Apple just recently fired the person in the company the most like Steve Jobs, Scott Forstall."

http://www.ibtimes.com/john-browett-why-apple-hired-dixons-ceo-steer-retail-403290 "much like Apple founder Steve Jobs did, Browett refuses to wear a suit and tie."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10405648/John-Sculley-Apple-Misfit-Shine-and-the-future-of-technology.html "We’re in the very early days of sensors," says Sculley. Founder Sonny Vu, he says, "is like Steve Jobs".

http://lowendmac.com/2013/the-story-behind-apples-newton/ "Sculley became the de facto spokesman for the computer industry (like Steve Jobs in 1981), and he granted frequent interviews."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12533595/1/how-elon-musk-is-like-steve-jobs.html "How Elon Musk Is Like Steve Jobs"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison-van-diggelen/can-elon-musk-replace-ste_b_4810773.html "Can Elon Musk Replace Steve Jobs?" ( Musk told me the story of how he met Steve Jobs at a party in Silicon Valley. It did not go well. Even so, Musk says "Steve Jobs is way cooler than I am." )
https://screen.yahoo.com/elon-musk-very-much-steve-132400029.html "Elon Musk very much like Steve Jobs: Isaacson"

http://fortune.com/2011/11/15/silicon-valleys-different-kind-of-power-walk/ "Like Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey believe in the power of long walks to discuss important matters."
http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2012/05/14/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-mark-zuckerberg-is-like-steve-jobs-and-me-rolled-into-one/ "Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak: Mark Zuckerberg is like Steve Jobs and me rolled into one"

Steve Jobs wasn't compared like this to someone seen as the original so to in fact be like Steve, you'd have to never be comparable to Steve, slight oxymoron here but you'd have to be unique just as Steve was. Most of the people used in these kind of comparisons are unique and the use of the comparison is meaningless. The intention seems to be to offer some hope to people who don't want to accept Steve isn't here any more and that particular uniqueness is gone. Elvis wasn't like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, they have their unique traits and style.

We don't need people to be like Steve but people who follow the same values and who are as passionate about their core interests. Dre and Iovine appear to be these kind of people.

 

I think it's simpler than that. Steve Jobs was a behemoth; therefore, he becomes the default name to use whenever anyone does something slightly out of the ordinary.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think it's simpler than that. Steve Jobs was a behemoth; therefore, he becomes the default name to use whenever anyone does something slightly out of the ordinary.

There's a motive behind it though. There's a forced association. It's like saying I brushed my teeth this morning, just like Steve Jobs used to do. The statement doesn't really mean anything important beyond the particular individuals chosen for the association. The similarities chosen are irrelevant because they are so few. They don't really summarize all the characteristics that form what we understand to be the essence of recreating the success those people achieve.
post #43 of 75

I'm not impressed by how Beats uses sports stars to promote their headphones.

 

Who gives a crap about what sports stars use? Sports stars don't know crap about sound.

 

If I need to shoot a ball through a hoop, I might take advice from a sports star. If I need to get a new pair of headphones, I will definitely ignore whatever any sports star or celebrity has to say.

post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think it's simpler than that. Steve Jobs was a behemoth; therefore, he becomes the default name to use whenever anyone does something slightly out of the ordinary.

There's a motive behind it though. There's a forced association. It's like saying I brushed my teeth this morning, just like Steve Jobs used to do. The statement doesn't really mean anything important beyond the particular individuals chosen for the association. The similarities chosen are irrelevant because they are so few. They don't really summarize all the characteristics that form what we understand to be the essence of recreating the success those people achieve.

 

I quite agree. And as your examples showed, the supposed similarities were superficial. I was just saying that, essentially, they made a spurious association in order to use his name as click-bait, which I think is what you were implying with your great list of quotes.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #45 of 75

Can never go wrong with a Jon Stewart clip.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I'm not impressed by how Beats uses sports stars to promote their headphones.

 

Who gives a crap about what sports stars use? Sports stars don't know crap about sound.

 

If I need to shoot a ball through a hoop, I might take advice from a sports star. If I need to get a new pair of headphones, I will definitely ignore whatever any sports star or celebrity has to say.

No offense, but your type (and age) is a diminishing, uninteresting demographic. 

 

Except in internet forums....

post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No offense, but your type (and age) is a diminishing, uninteresting demographic. 

Except in internet forums....

He must be pretty old, because for as long as I can remember professional athletes have always been used to sell Wheaties.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

He must be pretty old, because for as long as I can remember professional athletes have always been used to sell Wheaties.

Yeah.... can you imagine advertising without (INPO) Jordan, Ali, Federer, Pele, Shumacher, Woods, Bird, Bradman, Laver, Maradona, Nicklaus, Ruth, Gretzky, Beckham..... I could go on forever.

post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

No offense, but your type (and age) is a diminishing, uninteresting demographic. 

 

Except in internet forums....

 

I take no offense. 

 

Much of today's youth is obviously about style over substance. That's their loss and their problem, the way I see it.

post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


He must be pretty old, because for as long as I can remember professional athletes have always been used to sell Wheaties.

 

I can definitely see the connection between an athlete and a cereal. Headphones, not so much.

post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can definitely see the connection between an athlete and a cereal. Headphones, not so much.

Except that athletes are seen using the product, because they choose to. I doubt many athletes, if any ate Wheaties as a part of their diet.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post


Right and $$wealth is always the gauge for success. Apple should hire P Diddy too while they're at it. And Mariah Carey too.

 

So what do those 3 people have in common? Oh yeah, they're black. Your racism is blatant and despicable. 

post #53 of 75
"Steve Jobs" it become a noun. e.g. You are so "Steve Jobs"

It wasn't a comparison, This article mean that "Dr. Dre" is very "Steve Jobs"
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

So what do those 3 people have in common? Oh yeah, they're black. Your racism is blatant and despicable. 

No - all 3 of them are successful, and musicians, and multimillionaires.  Duh?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post
 

Wasn't Scott Forstall supposed to be the next Steve Jobs?

Ashton Kutcher too.

Oh sorry- he IS Steve Jobs.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Right and $$wealth is always the gauge for success. Apple should hire P Diddy too while they're at it. And Mariah Carey too.

So what do those 3 people have in common? Oh yeah, they're black. Your racism is blatant and despicable. 

I thought Mariah Carey was white.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #57 of 75
Dr. Dre really perfected beating women in 91, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Barnes
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I'm not impressed by how Beats uses sports stars to promote their headphones.

 

Who gives a crap about what sports stars use? Sports stars don't know crap about sound.

 

If I need to shoot a ball through a hoop, I might take advice from a sports star. If I need to get a new pair of headphones, I will definitely ignore whatever any sports star or celebrity has to say.

 

Wow, I see you're new to the whole concept of "using celebrities to promote your product". People do give a crap about sport stars. Many worship them and want to be like them. Deal with it. 

post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


I thought Mariah Carey was white.

 

She's a mix of African and Cuban. So close enough to black. My point is the same people who are so critical of the Beats deal have also shown racist undertones in their posts. 

post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Wow, I see you're new to the whole concept of "using celebrities to promote your product" concept. 

 

I do believe that I'm quite aware of how advertising works, but I can't ever recall buying any Apple product or tech product because of any celebrity endorsement.

post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

I take no offense. 

 

Much of today's youth is obviously about style over substance. That's their loss and their problem, the way I see it.

Ironically you can pick ANY decade from the 20th Century and say the same thing about the youth

post #62 of 75
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post
Ironically you can pick ANY decade from the 20th Century and say the same thing about the youth

 

Not the naughties, teens, or ‘40s.

 

And if we’re really talking about style over substance, you can’t say much for the ‘80s, either.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

No - all 3 of them are successful, and musicians, and multimillionaires.  Duh?

 

Dre could have stopped like the other two, with enough money to last several lifetimes, but he didn't he went on to other things.

 

Steve Jobs could have retired at 25 with 100 million, he didn't he went on to other things.

 

The hunger, the will to create, to build, to make the world a better place, to have a vision and act on it, that is where the similarity lies.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #64 of 75
All Your Basses Are Belong To Us...
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Ironically you can pick ANY decade from the 20th Century and say the same thing about the youth

Not the naughties, teens, or ‘40s.

And if we’re really talking about style over substance, you can’t say much for the ‘80s, either.


I feel your apostrophes are the wrong way round. Shouldn’t it be ’80s?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I take no offense. 

Much of today's youth is obviously about style over substance. That's their loss and their problem, the way I see it.

Very well said! Couldn't agree more. See that happening a lot here in Suriname. Now I know that an iPhone is the best smartphone there is. And a lot of people here tend to think the same, because of the celebrities in the ads. So they rush to buy one and don't know about the "handicaps". Can you imagine their surprise when they realize that they can't transfer files the "normal" way. No drag and drop, no Bluetooth. So they still walk around with it for like a month, simply because of the celeb who promoted it, sell it, because they actually just want or need an android. Then they start to hate on the iPhone by saying that you have to buy every app, when in reality they only use whatsapp , Facebook, Instagram, bbm and candy crush on their phone, which are all free!! Simply put, they want to be cool, got influenced by this or that celebrity, but can't handle cool. I always tell people to buy what's best for their everyday use. You want a keyboard? Buy a Q10. You want a big screen? Buy an android. You want the best and eventually some coolness? Buy an iPhone. Don't get influenced. Just buy what you need and f*** cool.
post #67 of 75
Iovine and Dre are music industry success stories. Period. Like them or not, they have legitimate power in music. If you disagree with the Beats acquisition, fine. But my money is on proven winners. You can do it better?? THEN DO IT. Talk is cheap.

By the way, to the people who declare Dre as not "cool": cool has always been and always will be subjective. Nothing can be all-acceptingly cool, some music and tech geeks will always declare something that's popular as "uncool". (If its popular, it CAN'T be cool. Stupid, but many people think this way). So I see it this way: anybody who proves themselves to be successful deserves credit for their success. You can't deny reality. You might hate LeBron James, but you can't say he's not a great BB player.

As an Apple shareholder, I want proven winners in this company and industry. Apple as a leading tech innovator adding Beats two music industry experts is absolutely brilliant. Naysayers always whine on message boards while real achievers march forward doing great things in both business and music.
post #68 of 75

I'll keep this simple.  If Dr. Dre is "Painted as a resolute perfectionist, compared to Steve Jobs"..... Um...... why does his expensive "Beats" sounds like complete garbage?  To compare this man to Steve Jobs is laughable at best, and frankly I find it absolutely absurd. I had a friend recently receive the top of the line pair of Beats as a gift from his work.  I said - Oh wow - let's give them a test drive.....  I listened to four bars of one of my favourite songs and took them off - started laughing and said.  Wow - garbage...... he said...... I know right?  Glad I didn't pay for them.   This partnership gave Apple a serious hit in my opinion.  It's all about the money now - not about quality.

post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post
 

Snoop Dog, Ice Cube, Dre was the founder of NWA. Beats hit the target perfectly, people that don't care about sound perfection they want heavy bass to overcome the rest of the music. Not sure what plans Apple has for him but he certainly has a creative mind.

 

Snoop wasn't in N.W.A., though he does drop the funk as if he were.

post #70 of 75
Think Different. Let's wait and see.
post #71 of 75
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
I feel your apostrophes are the wrong way round. Shouldn’t it be ’80s?

 

Should it? I’m just letting Yosemite automatically insert the right ones. Given that it inserts ‘quotes’ that curve inward automatically after every other space, I’d bet that it’s correct.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean the way Steve Jobs was older than Dr. Dre is now back in 1997 and yet under him the iPod, modern Macs, iPhone and iPad, and a plethora of services, like iTunes Music Store were born?

You mean so uncool that Beats By Dre was able to dominate the headphone market's revenue and profits. If you add the claims that they are the worst sounding, work looking, and worst quality headphones yet sold at an inflated price how the hell are the selling? Sounds like definition of cool to me.
Touché! But is Dre as good as Jobs or just lucky once?
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

Touché! But is Dre as good as Jobs or just lucky once?

Why are those the only two choices? Why can't Dre be a savvy business man but not as good as Jobs in business? And, no, Dre has been successful many time over from starting a band, writing music, creating a label, finding talent (Snoop Dogg Lion, Emininem, and 50 Cent to name a few), to making Beats the most successful headphone company in the world. It's hard to see how all that is just dumb luck without any talent.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/18/14 at 6:53pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why are those the only two choices? Why can't Dre be a savvy business man but not as good as Jobs in business? And, no, Dre has been successful many time over from starting a band, writing music, creating a label, finding talent (Snoop Dogg Lion, Emininem, and 50 Cent to name a few), to making Beats the most successful headphone company in the world. It's hard to see how all that is just dumb luck without any talent.

Completely agree with your point.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

Touché! But is Dre as good as Jobs or just lucky once?

Why are those the only two choices? Why can't Dre be a savvy business man but not as good as Jobs in business? And, no, Dre has been successful many time over from starting a band, writing music, creating a label, finding talent (Snoop Dogg Lion, Emininem, and 50 Cent to name a few), to making Beats the most successful headphone company in the world. It's hard to see how all that is just dumb luck without any talent.

A talent for making money from dung.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre painted as resolute perfectionist, compared to Steve Jobs in WSJ profile