or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers - Page 3

post #81 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 

 

Do you have anything other than a weak argument by analogy to support your claims? Will you retract it when you're proven wrong 18 months from now?

 

I thought so.

I and many other have wanted iDisk back for 2 years now. And not 3 Apple ID's- my @mac.com, my @me.com and my @ iCloud.com- like WTF??? Plus I can't combine my iTunes account which was registered pre all of the above or else I lose my purchase history????

Like COME ON!!!

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #82 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomXXR View Post

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time commenter. I'm fairly new to Apple in general (first device was an iPhone 5), so excuse my basic questions. I'm curious, will Apple completely do away with in-device storage in the near future or is iCloud only a backup? I currently don't have much use for iCloud but I want to get to know it, so to speak, if I'll be using it regular some day.

 

Completely do away with in-device storage? Not in the near future. If that ever happens, then it means there's a ton of functionality in iCloud, and it can be accessed on demand, i.e., similar to Google's vision for Chromebook. I don't think Apple will go that route because they've built an app and content eco-system that relies on local storage.

 

Recall that when the iPhone was launched in 2007, the only way to write apps for it was Chromebook-style web apps running in Safari. Apple did a very good job with that, but most third party developers scoffed at that. Developers wanted to write native platform code, not web apps. And when Apple finally made that possible, they did by the thousands. Today there are over a million iOS apps in the App Store. And those apps chew up more storage than anything other category of content in my iPhone. Unless developers abandon native apps and jump to writing web apps, I don't think the storage demands on the devices are going to return to zero.

 

Your question about iCloud being "only a backup" is a good one; I think iCloud is still evolving, and with the changes introduced by iOS 8 and Yosemite, it's clear Apple has got some great ideas about cloud computing beyond mere file backup. Stay tuned.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #83 of 186

Thanks for your response Suddenly Newton. After reading your comment, one thing is clear to me....

I don't know much about how computers work! :lol:

More learning needed! 

post #84 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


I would like to see iCloud services being offered to everyone, regardless if they own a Mac or not. I'm actually a very big fan of web apps and fully believe it is the future. I know I will get critism for this but I have a ChromeBox in my bedroom connected to the TV. It's my bedroom entertainment system, I have 100's of ripped BlueRays available through Google Drive and OneDrive, which doesn't require a download to watch them as Google Drive and OneDrive offer direct streaming from their web interfaces. Even going so far as converting videos that have incompatible codecs on the fly. I play my music using Spotify, watch TV with Zattoo in which every Swiss Channel is available in HD and it even looks better than my cable. I can look at all of my photos using OneDrives unbelievablly awesome photoviewer, as every time I take a picture with my Nokia 1020 the photo or video is automatically backed up to it, as well as the RAW photos. The list of great web apps are now in the hundreds if not thousands. Say what you will about Google but they have a very large leap over Apple in this area, one way the Apple can convert Google users is by offering their services to them. I would also love to see an Apple ChromeBook equivalent, which I don't think I have to wait to long.

 

None of what you're suggesting makes any sense with Apple's business model. iCloud is free for the precise reason of increasing the value of iDevices and Macs, creating synergy between them, and as a value-added service to the hardware. What motivation would Apple have to offer iCloud to those that choose not to use Apple's hardware? iCloud isn't simply file storage. It's deeply embedded in Apple's desktop and mobile OSes, as well as individual apps. This functionality cannot be replicated in hardware and software that Apple does not own. And even if it COULD- again- the question is why offer it? Apple sells you hardware. Google sells you to advertisers. It's not that complicated. 

post #85 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

Oh please- Slurpy thinks anything critical is trolling. Meanwhile he's like a pit bull troll- full of vulgarity and himself.If anyone should be banned it should be he for his constant bullying.

 

You're a liar, and anyone who has seen my posts knows it. You're just drowning in lies. I have no problem with criticism. I have often critisized certain specific aspects of Apple's products, once I made sure my criticism was valid based based on facts. I have a problem with shameless spam bots like yourself, that repeat the same spam in every thread to the detriment of the quality of this forum. Don't make yourself out to be a victim- you know exactly what you're doing, which is engaging in the worst kinds of trolling and spamming possible. But hey, this response to me is probably the first post from you that doesn't include the words Dre and some derogatory comment, so well done. 

post #86 of 186
I often read this forum on my iPhone and have just the comment body zoomed in so I can't see the user id in most cases.
I always know when it's slurpy posting without scrolling left to look. I'm right every time. 1biggrin.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #87 of 186
The 48 free GB I got with Dropbox with an S3 expires soon, when I logged in with my S4 it didn't change, in spite of them offering it with the S4.

I'll pay a bit more than I pay now to Apple for 20GB and take the 200, then I'll be able to turn my iCloud backups back on.

25GB just isn't enough for two 64GB iPhones and a 64GB iPad.

It's better value than paying Dropbox $120 for 100GB, I'll still have the free 5GB and the extra I got from spamming my friends.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #88 of 186
It may be hard to administer - particularly if you take into account the resale market, but I've always thought that it was unfair that my friend with a 16GB iPhone gets the same 5Gb of cloud storage that I get with my 64GB iPhone 5S, 16GB iPad mini and 32GB iPad 3. At the simplest, they should give 5GB per device - not per account - and an even more fair approach would be to base it on how much total RAM you have in all of the iDevices attached to your account - 25% seems fair. With that model, my friend with the 16GB iPhone would only get 4GB instead of 5GB - but with my 3 devices (64 + 16 + 32), I'd get 28GB of cloud storage. That could be enough to back up most of my stuff and it would be a really good way for Apple to reward customers for purchasing multiple devices and for choosing devices with upgraded RAM - and forget about how I started this post with it being difficult to administer - it would be quite easy to base it on the aggregate of the devices registered to my Apple ID.
post #89 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

It may be hard to administer - particularly if you take into account the resale market, but I've always thought that it was unfair that my friend with a 16GB iPhone gets the same 5Gb of cloud storage that I get with my 64GB iPhone 5S, 16GB iPad mini and 32GB iPad 3. At the simplest, they should give 5GB per device - not per account - and an even more fair approach would be to base it on how much total RAM you have in all of the iDevices attached to your account - 25% seems fair. With that model, my friend with the 16GB iPhone would only get 4GB instead of 5GB - but with my 3 devices (64 + 16 + 32), I'd get 28GB of cloud storage. That could be enough to back up most of my stuff and it would be a really good way for Apple to reward customers for purchasing multiple devices and choosing devices with upgraded RAM - and forget about how I started this post with it being difficult to administer - it would be quite easy to base it on the aggregate of the devices registered to my Apple ID.

 

Leave iCloud feedback at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #90 of 186

The one thing I took home after this chart is Google drive provides the first 15 GB free, and Apple provides just 5 GB free. Apple need to seriously consider providing at least the first 10 GB for free. You bump into that 5 GB limit very, very easily.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #91 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 

Leave iCloud feedback at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

 

Here's a better link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

 

Tell them 5 GB for free is too measly when Google gives 15 GB free.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #92 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here's a better link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Tell them 5 GB for free is too measly when Google gives 15 GB free.

I agree- 5gb isn't nearly enough. But to compare it to google isn't fair. They always give it away or have ridiculously low pricing simply to gain market share, then increase their pricing significantly once they feel somewhat established.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #93 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhyker View Post

Will we have the normal teething issues whilst Apple Users do Apples research and development for nothing. Apples track record indicates we will be abandoned in 18 months time when a revised scheme breaks.

Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it.

I am a very long standing Apple User from the IIE but feel we no longer matter, Apple knows best, well it does not and certainly ignores many issues raised by its users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Still too expensive. Apple has billions of dollars in the bank, everyone should get 1TB for free. And iPhone and iPad costs should be cut in half. Plus if you buy two iPhones or iPads you should get a free one. Apple can afford it

I hope this is sarcasm.
post #94 of 186


Edited by sirozha - 6/8/14 at 5:37am
post #95 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


I agree- 5gb isn't nearly enough. But to compare it to google isn't fair. They always give it away or have ridiculously low pricing simply to gain market share, then increase their pricing significantly once they feel somewhat established.

Out of curiosity, what have they done that with? I'm not overly familiar with Google's prices for cloud storage, but I was under the impression that it's got substantially cheaper over time.

post #96 of 186
---
Edited by sirozha - 6/8/14 at 5:36am
post #97 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

My question is, with you now being able to Share your iTunes account with Family, will the additional iCloud plans cross over and everyone that shares the account be able to have access to all the storage?

And if so when you pool the accounts together can each account add their "free" 5 gigs to the total Space?

I believe a file stored in one user's account should be given access to other family accounts without counting against everyone's quota. There should be some sort of access control that gives others access to one's files. Once access is given, others should not incur any additional storage penalty for having access to this file. There's no point to duplicate the file because it's already on the Apple's servers.
post #98 of 186
-
post #99 of 186
--
post #100 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

If the mods had sense people like this would be banned right away so we can be spared future bullshit. If someone registers and his first post is a general proclamation of "Apple has lost it's way and is now like Ford", "following instead of leading, etc" while including ridiculous assertions not based on any kind of fact, we know everything we need to know about the kinds of posts going forward- it leaves little room for any potential of constructive discussion. Getting rid of these people quickly would go along way into clearing rubbish. 

I agree. There's a big difference between criticism/argument and trolling, and it's usually glaringly obvious which is which. For instance a particularly prolific troll that has probably racked up over 100 posts simply by entering every thread with an "apple is stupid for buying beats" post. It definitely seems like there could be more done about this issue.

I have found, however, that simply flagging the post (bottom left) with a comment that says 'trolling' gets the Mod's attention. It probably gets the poster at least a warning, I am guessing, if enough people flag it. I don't think the Mods necessarily read everything that gets posted.
post #101 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

The one thing I took home after this chart is Google drive provides the first 15 GB free, and Apple provides just 5 GB free. Apple need to seriously consider providing at least the first 10 GB for free. You bump into that 5 GB limit very, very easily.


Think of it this way...

1.  Apple offers 20 GB to users for $10 per year;  they actually care more about your up-to-date credit card info for mobile payments than the $10.

2.  Apple offers 200 GB to users for $48 per year;  that is less than 25% of what other services charge.  (A DropBox and Google killer)

3.  Apple offers Free DB, Security, and Hosting infrastructure to iOS and OS X developers.  (A Microsoft and Amazon killer)

 

#1 and #2 rock with awesome free web application suites and should get every iOS and OS X user on board.

#3 should attract a lot of developers to Apple's platforms.

Apple is revolutionizing the cloud services industry to its advantage.

Many people watch the presentation but don't really understand how HUGE these announcements are.  


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 6/8/14 at 7:11am
post #102 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thankfully iDisk is not back. That was an archaic design left to rot for far too long.
Yes it is back, albeit not literally, but conceptually. And this article proceeds from a ridiculous premise that Apple's motivation here is because they don't want to lose anymore ground to Dropbox, et al. And that's ridiculous, back when Apple chose to drop Gallery and iDisk, they didn't give a rats ass what the Apple customers wanted, they just killed it, and they killed it for over two years. Whatever losses they allegedly perceive are their own fault and casts a serious shadow over Apple's ability to gauge the market, if true. Given Apple's largely prescient ability to guess the next big thing, I reject this argument. Whatever Apple's reason for getting rid of a largely popular integrated file sharing service , it wasn't because it wasn't being used, nor because they had no interest in such services, which were already wildly popular two years ago. And frankly Apple would be seriously arrogant to think if THEY build it! people will come ... If Apple truly is jumping back into the market because they are afraid of losing market share for such services, well they need to get ready for another PING, because I for one have no need to upturn my digital life by moving everything back to Apple's servers, much as they forced me to scramble to move it away two years ago.

I mean what's next? Bringing back iWeb? Develop Apple branded apps to compete with Twitter, Tumbler, Instagram, and any other service that Apple doesn't already host on its servers? Apple had an amazing marketing branding on every one of these former services they previously offered "Built by Apple" they proudly proclaimed to all visitors, and Apple threw that all away. They had to have known what they were giving up by taking those tools away from their customers rather than developing them in the first place.
Edited by Mac_128 - 6/8/14 at 6:51am
post #103 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Out of curiosity, what have they done that with? I'm not overly familiar with Google's prices for cloud storage, but I was under the impression that it's got substantially cheaper over time.

One I can think of right off the rip of my head is google mail for businesses. It was free for either 100, then they downgraded to 50 users, then 10- it is now $5/month per user or $50/year per user. That's one of the most expensive mail services out there- by far. That said, it's a solid service and vastly superior to godaddy- but again, they gave away free for market share then increased their prices substantially.
Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Apps

There are a couple others I just can't remember them this early in the morning. 1smile.gif

The bottom line for me as it relates to Google- they are so freaking wishy washy. I think they're a cool company, and I think the owners and upper management genuinely want to have their customers get cool new services and products. I really do. But in terms of execution it just seems like they never carry things to completion or offer forethought when they release things. How many google tv iterations do we have to go through? take your time and make one, then stick to it- don't release one, have early adopters buy it, and then switch it 6 months later. Why anyone buys something new from Google is beyond me... The odds of them abandoning it is great.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #104 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[...] iClouf is so far beyond .Mac yet people still clamor for it's inferior features

 

Thing is, some of those features were damn handy.

 

Despite the technical limitations of iDisk you described earlier in the thread, it was a very simple way for me to share large files with those who had the password and not those who didn't. Easy for me and easy for them.

 

iWeb was simple enough that even a fool like me could use it, and the cost was almost completely offset by what I now pay for web hosting.

 

Photostream, while being automatic, doesn't come close to being the Facebook replacement Galleries was. I don't want to send every photo I ever take to everyone i know. I want to put together little collections that are presented in an attractive and tidy fashion and are stupidly simple for people to view (i.e. a browser interface). Even now, no third-party substitute matches the ease of viewing and downloading Galleries offered.

 

It was also really handy to have my calendar on a web page that I could share with family. Having my activities update the calendar on their devices is overkill, and they are annoyed by the alerts they receive every time I make a change. All they want is an easy way to look at my schedule when they need to. The online calendar in MobileMe was perfect.

 

So, while I do very much appreciate the many new features Apple has brought to the cloud (I don't know how I lived prior to device syncing), I also really miss some of the features they've dropped, particularly since things like iWeb and Galleries were among the reasons my wife and I switched to Mac in the first place.

 

EDIT: Corrected accidental use of iWeb where I meant MobileMe


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 6/8/14 at 7:55am

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #105 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Thing is, some of those features were damn handy.

Despite the technical limitations of iDisk you described earlier in the thread, it was a very simple way for me to share large files with those who had the password and not those who didn't. Easy for me and easy for them.

iWeb was simple enough that even a fool like me could use it, and the cost was almost completely offset by what I now pay for web hosting.

Photostream, while being automatic, doesn't come close to being the Facebook replacement Galleries was. I don't want to send every photo I ever take to everyone i know. I want to put together little collections that are presented in an attractive and tidy fashion and are stupidly simple for people to view (i.e. a browser interface). Even now, no third-party substitute matches the ease of viewing and downloading Galleries offered.

It was also really handy to have my calendar on a web page that I could share with family. Having my activities update the calendar on their devices is overkill, and they are annoyed by the alerts they receive every time I make a change. All they want is an easy way to look at my schedule when they need to. The online calendar in iWeb was perfect.

So, while I do very much appreciate the many new features Apple has brought to the cloud (I don't know how I lived prior to device syncing), I also really miss some of the features they've dropped, particularly since things like iWeb and Galleries were among the reasons my wife and I switched to Mac in the first place).

When you factor in cost, ease-of-use, features (which can be part of ease-of-use) and security so many other services completely trounce iDisk and iWeb. I was all for Apple building these services up from the ground to compete but I have adamantly against iDisk, specifically, being kept around because it such an insecure system. Some here said that they know it was unsecured and were willing to accept that, but how many that used it knew that was the case? How many that accessed their email via mac.com and me.com knew that their emails were sent as cleartext without any SSL?


PS: iWeb was always a very poor app. I suggest to anyone that wants a good and simple hosting service with templates to match their needs to look at SquareSpace. From their designs to features to cost to their excellent support staff I have no complaints.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 186
I just checked my Aperture library. 300GB... 1frown.gif
post #107 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[...] iClouf is so far beyond .Mac yet people still clamor for it's inferior features

Thing is, some of those features were damn handy.

Despite the technical limitations of iDisk you described earlier in the thread, it was a very simple way for me to share large files with those who had the password and not those who didn't. Easy for me and easy for them.

iWeb was simple enough that even a fool like me could use it, and the cost was almost completely offset by what I now pay for web hosting.

Photostream, while being automatic, doesn't come close to being the Facebook replacement Galleries was. I don't want to send every photo I ever take to everyone i know. I want to put together little collections that are presented in an attractive and tidy fashion and are stupidly simple for people to view (i.e. a browser interface). Even now, no third-party substitute matches the ease of viewing and downloading Galleries offered.

It was also really handy to have my calendar on a web page that I could share with family. Having my activities update the calendar on their devices is overkill, and they are annoyed by the alerts they receive every time I make a change. All they want is an easy way to look at my schedule when they need to. The online calendar in MobileMe was perfect.

So, while I do very much appreciate the many new features Apple has brought to the cloud (I don't know how I lived prior to device syncing), I also really miss some of the features they've dropped, particularly since things like iWeb and Galleries were among the reasons my wife and I switched to Mac in the first place.

EDIT: Corrected accidental use of iWeb where I meant MobileMe

You've clearly never used iCloud Photo Streams.

There's no need to share every photo you've taken. You can create galleries with exactly the photos you want and share them. You can even customise them with graphics and text if you so desire. This is all possible on Mac, iPhone and iPad. Those photo streams are presented to those you share as a beautiful gallery or can be viewed as a slideshow. You can allow others to add to or comment on the photos or download them. Finally, you don't need a Mac or an iOS device to see shared photo streams.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #108 of 186

A few years ago Box offered 50GB for free so I signed up with 2  accounts so now have a total of 100GB of completely free storage. I also think Box has a better interface and is is more intuitive than Dropbox. You can't beat 100GB for free and so far it seems to be enough for my iOS needs. Any other Box users?

post #109 of 186

I still use me.com !!??

post #110 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatrix View Post
 

I still use me.com !!??

My Apple ID is still a .Mac account but now I also have a .icloud as well which can get confusing at times. I am able to log in to various Apple services with either one and from what I understand they are somehow the same account. I wish I could just retire the .mac one and only have the iCloud one as my Apple ID. 

post #111 of 186
Another catch for developers, Apple owns your customer.

With other services like Parse.com or raw Amazon S3 you can charge your customer and communicate with them as you wish.

Note also, you can only add 100Mb per user for assets, that might be too restrictive.

The Assets are then 'frozen' inside Apples walled garden, unable to be shared on the web with friends of family.

I'm sure this will meet some use cases, but I'm scratching my head about which developers will find this useful.
post #112 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpaulfreeman View Post

Another catch for developers, Apple owns your customer.

With other services like Parse.com or raw Amazon S3 you can charge your customer and communicate with them as you wish.

Note also, you can only add 100Mb per user for assets, that might be too restrictive.

The Assets are then 'frozen' inside Apples walled garden, unable to be shared on the web with friends of family.

I'm sure this will meet some use cases, but I'm scratching my head about which developers will find this useful.

How does Apple own your customers but using a 3rd-party service like Parse or Amazon doesn't?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #113 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

My Apple ID is still a .Mac account but now I also have a .icloud as well which can get confusing at times. I am able to log in to various Apple services with either one and from what I understand they are somehow the same account. I wish I could just retire the .mac one and only have the iCloud one as my Apple ID. 

Just don't use it. 

 

It is yours forever. No one else but you can use it.

post #114 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Just don't use it. 

It is yours forever. No one else but you can use it.

I have no choice but to use it. My iTS account shows up as my @mac.com email address even if I log in with @me.com, which is my preferred email address because it's the shortest. Frankly, if I could get rid of @mac.com and @icloud.com I would as I find them a distraction, especially when sending someone an iMessage and then later find out it wasn't going to the proper device because they had unchecked an address on one device but not another (or it reset it after an OS update).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #115 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

For every purchase (of anything, including iTunes) you make directly from Apple, you should get 1 point. After 12 points you get one free share of AAPL.
You do get free storage and unlimited downloads or streaming for your Apple iTunes and AppStore purchases. Now even for your Mac App purchases from Apple. Every song or video you have purchase can be streamed at no charge over wifi. Songs even over data service. All at not charge. That's a good deal.
post #116 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhyker View Post

"Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it."

That's actually how Apple has operated forever.  The Apple I wasn't the first personal computer, but it was better than everything out there.  The Mac wasn't the first personal computer with a graphical user interface, it was just the first one that was (somewhat) affordable- and was more accessible to normal people than earlier attempts by other companies.  iPod wasn't first, just best.  iPhone wasn't the first touch screen smart phone either, just the best designed.  Tablet PCs pushed by Microsoft existed for over a decade before the iPad dropped.  If you're an Apple fan for tech firsts, you're doing it wrong.

post #117 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post


You do get free storage and unlimited downloads or streaming for your Apple iTunes and AppStore purchases. Now even for your Mac App purchases from Apple. Every song or video you have purchase can be streamed at no charge over wifi. Songs even over data service. All at not charge. That's a good deal.

That's a pretty obvious option to provide dont you think, if Apple didn't offer free streaming for something that you payed for then no one in their right mind would use the service. Can you imagine having to pay an additional fee everytime you want to listen to the album that you just paid 15 dollars for? Your mobile provider will still charge you for any data usage. Here in Switzerland however our mobile providers don't charge for data when streaming music from Spotify or watching TV and Movies with Zattoo. Though coming very soon it won't matter anymore as every body is going to an unlimited data plan, you will pay according to the download speed, similiar plan that you have for internet at home.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #118 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That's a pretty obvious option to provide dont you think, if Apple didn't offer free streaming for something that you payed for then no one in their right mind would use the service. Can you imagine having to pay an additional fee everytime you want to listen to the album that you just paid 15 dollars for? Your mobile provider will still charge you for any data usage. Here in Switzerland however our mobile providers don't charge for data when streaming music from Spotify or watching TV and Movies with Zattoo. Though coming very soon it won't matter anymore as every body is going to an unlimited data plan, you will pay according to the download speed, similiar plan that you have for internet at home.

That is how digital media downloads worked for most of its existence. You paid for the digital content and if you choose to delete it after the download was completed and verified by the server you had to pay for it again, outside of sending a message to that service's support group to state that your machine was stolen, HDD drive, or some other excuse where they would determine to let you DL previously purchased content again. This was how content owners had setup the deals when they were still scared that legitimate digital media downloads would lead to even more stealing of their content.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #119 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


You've clearly never used iCloud Photo Streams.

There's no need to share every photo you've taken. You can create galleries with exactly the photos you want and share them. You can even customise them with graphics and text if you so desire. This is all possible on Mac, iPhone and iPad. Those photo streams are presented to those you share as a beautiful gallery or can be viewed as a slideshow. You can allow others to add to or comment on the photos or download them. Finally, you don't need a Mac or an iOS device to see shared photo streams.

 

This is actually a pretty standard feature for cloud services. I have been doing this for 2 years now with OneDrive (SkyDrive). When I take a picture with my Nokia 1020 I can even dictate which album to add the photo too additionally add the photo to Instagram at the same time. The photo albums permissions can be set to allow certain users, public for all or even just thoughs who have the link and of course add comments, look at photos that were taken in the same area, etc. So pretty similar to most cloud services.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #120 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You've clearly never used iCloud Photo Streams.

There's no need to share every photo you've taken. You can create galleries with exactly the photos you want and share them. You can even customise them with graphics and text if you so desire. This is all possible on Mac, iPhone and iPad. Those photo streams are presented to those you share as a beautiful gallery or can be viewed as a slideshow. You can allow others to add to or comment on the photos or download them. Finally, you don't need a Mac or an iOS device to see shared photo streams.

Really? It didn't start out that way, did it? I tried it when I first got iOS6 (or was it 5?) and didn't like it. Maybe I just didn't understand it well enough. I haven't really given it much thought since.

Based on what you describe I'm gonna have to give it another look. Thanks for the correction!
Edited by Lorin Schultz - 6/8/14 at 2:42pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
  • Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers