or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report

Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report

post #1 of 122
A number of improvements to Apple's mapping service that were slated to hit the stage at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference did not appear after poor planning and "internal politics" caused deadlines to be missed, a new report alleges.

Maps
Apple Maps as seen in OS X Mavericks.

Much of the blame for the absence of long-rumored features -- such as public transportation integration and a new, more reliable data backend -- during the WWDC keynote address was heaped at the feet of project managers, according to unnamed sources who spoke with TechCrunch. Combined with a loss of engineering talent, these problems were said to have overloaded the development team.

"Many developers left the company, no map improvements planned for iOS 8 release were finished in time," one source said. "Mostly it was failure of project managers and engineering project managers, tasks were very badly planned, developers had to switch multiple times from project to project."

Another insider also blamed office politics, but did not specify at what level the problems occurred. The maps team reports to internet software and services chief Eddy Cue, though it is unclear how development responsibilities are split with software boss Craig Federighi.

"I would say that planning, project management and internal politics issues were a much more significant contributor to the failure to complete projects than developers leaving the group," that person told the publication.

Apple was widely expected to show off the fruits of its recent mapping acquisition spree at WWDC. Despite the no-show, the company continues to snap up smaller mapping firms, acquiring social search startup Spotsetter late last week.

That purchase joins earlier buyouts of Embark, HopStop, Broadmap and Locationary. With so many recent location-based acquisitions, it was widely expected that Maps in iOS 8 would include improved geolocation, more detailed point-of-interest data, and public transit routing.
post #2 of 122
I know it's an unsubstantiated claim but it's unfortunate to read when there was a mostly undue backlash Maps.

I use it almost exclusively and nearly every day, however, the other day I did have to fire up maps.google.com (hate the new UI) so I could choose an alternate route for someone down HWY-1 from WWDC to LA since Apple Maps would only let me choose HWY-101 or I-5 as options.

I don't know if same limitations exists on Google's iOS app but that's beside the point as I feel Apple needs to make maps.apple.com live instead of making into a parser for locations at maps.google.com.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 122
Might explain the lack of Eddy Cue on stage at WWDC, if he had nothing to show.
post #4 of 122
The site wrote about how many rumors got it all wrong about iOS 8. Now the backlash is picking up steam and being even more negative than ever before. It started with Beats now Maps. There is much more to come.
post #5 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Might explain the lack of Eddy Cue on stage at WWDC, if he had nothing to show.
But Apple showed off lots of iCloud features and Eddy oversees that. Man I wish Apple would have bought Waze instead of Beats. I want to see Apple become as independent from Google as possible.
post #6 of 122
Internal politics is what has damaged Microsoft for many years. I hope this isn't going to be the future at Apple too.
post #7 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know it's an unsubstantiated claim but it's unfortunate to read when there was a mostly undue backlash Maps.

I use it almost exclusively and nearly every day, however, the other day I did have to fire up maps.google.com (hate the new UI) so I could choose an alternate route for someone down HWY-1 from WWDC to LA since Apple Maps would only let me choose HWY-101 or I-5 as options.

I don't know if same limitations exists on Google's iOS app but that's beside the point as I feel Apple needs to make maps.apple.com live instead of making into a parser for locations at maps.google.com.

I have used Apple maps almost exclusively since it was developed and the change from then until now is amazing. Just a few weeks ago I was trying out the live traffic feature for the first time and was amazed that it showed a traffic slowdown because of an accident that was only 15 minutes old....and that's in Vancouver, BC....a "foreign" country. It might not be perfect, hardly anything is, but it's making giant strides, imho.

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #8 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Man I wish Apple would have bought Waze instead of Beats.

1) I fail to see how these are mutually exclusive.

2) If this is true buying a map-focused company does nothing when you don't have the focus or talent to implement their technologies.

3) Apple Maps already license from Waze.

post #9 of 122
Be an intelligent reader - Always ask yourself who benefits from any rumor/obscured commentary...

This story seems highly suspicious in light of the other unsubstantiated rumor that Apple is aggressively mapping the inside of Office Buildings.

Let's face it - Other providers are scared of what Apple can offer in this space, and are taking every opportunity to attack wherever possible.

Where is the "So What" to this? If these sources are so well connected, what is Apple doing about it? After spending millions on mapping related companies, is it rational to believe that Apple management just threw up their hands and said "oh well, I guess we'll just let maps go"
post #10 of 122
Features are ready when they are ready. How many times could this article have been written under Steve Jobs? All the time! He reportedly sent the programers back to the drawing board on updates all the time and usually refused to release it before it was ready. The other misleading part of this article neglects to mention Apple has been silently updating Maps since it's release when ever new stuff was ready.
post #11 of 122
They acquired quite a few companies to work on Maps. It is natural for multiple parties to take time to consolidate. These pieces may be done on completely different tech and approaches. Those who are impatient will leave early, citing all sorts of excuses and reasons. I have seen it happen in many startups. You can't prevent it since it's their nature. The rest will move forward.

They may also want to build on top of Metal (for A7 devices), and other newer iOS8 tech. I would give them enough time to start from a solid foundation, rather than just showing something to keep up. It's not like they are not delivering. WWDC brought vector maps for China, Spotlight map search integration, indoor mapping. They are probably working on transit stuff worldwide (China and Japan also ?).

A lot of new tech didn't get mentioned in WWDC too, such as the P2P AirPlay, FaceTime conferencing, etc. We will probably hear more about them by or in fall.
post #12 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Internal politics is what has damaged Microsoft for many years. I hope this isn't going to be the future at Apple too.

I hear you, but let's face it, the larger the company, the more "opportunity" for internal politics to develop. It's inevitable. As we move forward Tim will have an opportunity to show his leadership skills. Here's hoping he's up to the task. I'm betting he is.

post #13 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I hear you, but let's face it, the larger the company, the more "opportunity" for internal politics to develop. It's inevitable. As we move forward Tim will have an opportunity to show his leadership skills. Here's hoping he's up to the task. I'm betting he is.

I think he is, too, but unfortunately any misstep will be seen as proof he's not right for the job even though Steve Jobs had many missteps during his tenure as CEO.

post #14 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But Apple showed off lots of iCloud features and Eddy oversees that. Man I wish Apple would have bought Waze instead of Beats. I want to see Apple become as independent from Google as possible.

True, sadly Google already bought Waze...

post #15 of 122

Convenient rumor timing about the supposed problems in Apple. Good way to get some cheap stock.

Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
post #16 of 122
A new unnamed report from unnamed sources says something that did not happen, was supposed to happen. Also that it did not happen for some unattractive reasons. All of this in a story written by someone named AppleInsider Staff. Who would name their kid that. This has to be one of the weakest attempts at journalism one could find.
post #17 of 122

Although I have found Apple Maps to be accurate and Google Maps to be inaccurate in two cases, I still use Google Maps.

I like Street View. Also, for Thailand, Google Maps is mature and Apple Maps is a joke.

Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

post #18 of 122
At the end of the day, these negative rumors will strengthen the resolve of the Maps team. People are getting numb on these FUDs too.

We will see more updates along the way since the OS seeding has started. And we don't even know about the h/w yet other than the same old tired iPhone 6 case photos.
Edited by patsu - 6/9/14 at 7:32am
post #19 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

"Internal politics" will ALWAYS exist in any organization where there are human beings working.

This rumor is completely worthless. There were clearly delays (as I am sure there almost are with almost every project), but this being Maps, the media is blowing it up disproportionately.

post #20 of 122

Apple has billions of dollars and they should spend that on their own street view feature.

post #21 of 122

Maps are extremely difficult to manage - the data set is huge, constantly changing, and from a users standpoint needs to be nearly perfect or it is completely useless.  

Google has years head start with their acquisition of Keyhole (now Google Earth).  That data set is amazing and Google has done a tremendous job with their KML hooks to allow customization and more importantly crowd sourced corrections to their map sets.

Apple needs to "go slow" with its maps initiative - making sure that its base data sets are accurate, and more importantly updated.   Their partners (Filemaker I'm thinking of you) need to integrate Apple's maps into their workflow and there needs to be a feedback system to ensure constant updates (this will be especially important as Apple rolls out its car navigation system).  

I now use Apple maps about half of the time (Google Earth or Maps the other half).  Overall I like Apple's mapping and it has certainly improved since initial rollout (much of the initial media negativity was overblown), but it still doesn't provide the flexibility of Google Maps (I can drag and adjust routing for example).

Looking forward Google will continue to have the superior product (they own the satellites), as the next big leap in mapping will be live data.   Traffic data first, but eventually street views (think integration of city owned security cameras) and eventually satellite imagery.  

post #22 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Although I have found Apple Maps to be accurate and Google Maps to be inaccurate in two cases, I still use Google Maps.

I like Street View. Also, for Thailand, Google Maps is mature and Apple Maps is a joke.

Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

Nope. I think there are great synergy and opportunities with Apple devices and services. The harder to do, the better since Apple will be able to differentiate once they master it.
post #23 of 122
Quote:

Apple has billions of dollars and they should spend that on their own street view feature.

In a way. They should implement it in a new concept, instead of driving buggies around. There may be better ways. In fact, iOS Map should be able to deliver new concepts by integrating with other iOS8 techs,
post #24 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

In a way. They should implement it in a new concept, instead of driving buggies around. There may be better ways. In fact, iOS Map should be able to deliver new concepts by integrating with other iOS8 techs,

I previously made the suggestion that Apple tap users to fill in map data and street/sidewalk-level imagery using their iPhones in exchange for iTunes credits. Turn data and image gathering into a geocaching game.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 122

Let's make up a story that Apple had lots of new features for Maps. Then when they don't appear at WWDC let's make up a bunch of rumors about why they weren't shown even though there's no proof the "original" features even existed.

And let's forget about the HUGE number of additions Apple showed at WWDC. So many, in fact, that they had to quickly skim over some of them because of a lack of time. Clearly Apple engineers and developers were in overdrive for the past year with all the new additions. And project management appeared to be just fine, considering Apple knocked it out of the park this WWDC.

post #26 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

I look at these rumors and go... meh.   If they missed deadlines for WWDC, still means the functionality can be presented in September if ready.

If this is just a smoke screen for lowering the stock price... double meh.

The major negative that this would impact were any exposed mapping SDKs that could have been built into the system for exposing this to other applications.   Apple loses a couple months of potential 'look at how this app exploits Apple's Map data'    This is not a big deal.

As for internal politics... that's a good one.    Heck, given the removal of the non-poaching agreements... I can only imagine that mobile mapping developers are worth a pretty penny in the Valley now.

post #27 of 122
Gee, this rumor doesn't seem even remotely suspicious. /s

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

A new unnamed report from unnamed sources says something that did not happen, was supposed to happen. Also that it did not happen for some unattractive reasons. All of this in a story written by someone named AppleInsider Staff. Who would name their kid that. This has to be one of the weakest attempts at journalism one could find.

I agree. Now that real news is drying up, it's time for some fake mud slinging. Think back a few weeks ago, to all of the rumors swarming around WWDC. How many were true? Didn't Apple disprove the rumors and then surprise everyone with better stuff? Now we believe every rumor. Many of these rumors begin on some average joes webpage, wanting to increase traffic. I remember seeing one website get found out, the site owner issuing an apology, and their readers kept bringing it up and complaining about for a long time. It happens, a lot.
post #29 of 122
Suppose you were Google, or Samsung, or even Msoft and wanted to damage Apple. All three of these have tried in the past, and spent money on trolls, especially Samsung.

Now, with the terrific buzz about Apple from the WWDC, and the increased threat to the above, there might just be a little "news planting" in this article. "Unidentified people say".....

All companies have internal struggles and disagreements about how to improve something, or fix something. I tell my employees that avoiding problems is not our business - solving problems IS our business.

Think about it. The only reason a business exists is to solve a problem for the customer. When you are that far out on the bleeding edge, it is tough to get it right.

Non story.
post #30 of 122
Quote:

I think he is, too, but unfortunately any misstep will be seen as proof he's not right for the job even though Steve Jobs had many missteps during his tenure as CEO.

You're right, Soli...I guess that's the fallout a company has to go through when it has a giant bullseye on it's back put there by lesser companies whose bank accounts don't match up.

post #31 of 122
Quote:

Quote:

Make up your mind. Apple should not be in the maps business or Apple should spend on a street view feature.

I disagree on the former. Apple should rely less and less on outside companies for core features.
post #32 of 122
Analysts predicts features.
Features aren't announced.
Analysts blames internal politics.

Why are analysts never wrong?!
post #33 of 122

With all of the recent acquisitions that Apple has made that can bolster Maps I wouldn't mind seeing some good improvement but having iOS 9 be the large leap forward for Maps.  It's not easy to integrate the technology of many disparate companies into a cohesive end product. 

Maps works well enough and when I really need some features I turn to my Navigon.  

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #34 of 122
Many of the acquisitions can also be used for indoor mapping (like inside of malls) not just outdoor mapping. Part of the reason could be that integration of Maps for outdoors and Maps of indoors hasn't been fully fleshed because of the intricacies involved. Being as Apple was bitten once with Maps, they probably didn't want to bitten a second time, even with a beta version of indoor mapping tied to the Maps app.

When I walk through the front door of a particular mall via Maps, I want it to work, even as a developer.
post #35 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Analysts predicts features.
Features aren't announced.
Analysts blames internal politics.

Why are analysts never wrong?!
Heh, Mark Gurman claimed that Apple changed the name and design of its health app because of what 9to5Mac leaked. All because he refuses to admit he might get things wrong once in a while.
post #36 of 122
As someone who works in project management, if there was that much shuffling and mid-manager infighting, it wasn't project management that was lacking...it was management. As in there wasn't someone at the top who was able to dictate which projects took precedent over others. Seen it happen before, and things run a lot smoother when the CIO/CTO is saying "this project is priority 1, this project is priority 2" and so on. Otherwise you get people fighting for resources, which normally ends up with the resource leaving the company because he/she can't do anything.
post #37 of 122
Quote:

...the other day I did have to fire up maps.google.com (hate the new UI) so I could choose an alternate route for someone down HWY-1 from WWDC to LA since Apple Maps would only let me choose HWY-101 or I-5 as options.

I understand the frustration, but taking 1 is two hours longer than I-5. It is a shame you can't add a waypoint (like Santa Barbara) to force it onto a specific route and get times in a single shot, but it is substantially out of the way. (Since it is a common path though, I would expect it to at least be listed.)
post #38 of 122
I'll forgive them, since they had like 56,201 other things to show off. I didn't even notice the missing maps. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they're leaving maps to show off in the fall. They always review the new iOS features at that time, and they might be saving a couple new things for that event to make a bigger splash.

As for this report, nothing but unsubstantiated horse-shit that anyone call pull out of their asses.
post #39 of 122
I agree with the more common sense reports here. Some times I wonder if Eddy Cue has the chops to handle all Apple's internet businesses. Apple has never been as strong here. Jobs was not as Internet savvy as the guys at Google.
post #40 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I understand the frustration, but taking 1 is two hours longer than I-5. It is a shame you can't add a waypoint (like Santa Barbara) to force it onto a specific route and get times in a single shot, but it is substantially out of the way. (Since it is a common path though, I would expect it to at least be listed.)

Santa Barbara is on HWY-101. NWY-1 and HWY-101 meet about 100 miles north at San Luis Obispo. You have to choose Hearst Castle as a destination, about 45 minute drive north of San Luis Obispo, to force Apple Maps to choose it as the driving distance as it's shorter by 30 miles even though it's about a half hour longer with the slower roads. Still, the default route is HWY-101 with a turn off in Paso Robles to get on HWY-46.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report