or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple issues MacBook Air SMC update to fix battery drain issues

Apple issues MacBook Air SMC update to fix battery drain issues

post #1 of 18
Apple on Monday released a new system management controller (SMC) for its MacBook Air line of ultraportables, targeting an issues related to unexpected battery drain experienced by some mid-2013 models.

MBA

According to the brief release notes, Apple's MacBook Air SMC Update version 2.0 targets a power handling issue that appears to be limited to mid-2013 MacBook Air models.

Specifically, the update addresses an issue that "may cause the battery to drain faster than expected when the lid is closed." A number of threads on Apple's Support Communities forum attested to the battery drain problem, with one of the larger discussions suggesting the issue is OS-related.

Last October, Apple issued MacBook Air SMC Update version 1.9, which addressed a serious issue where the battery would unexpectedly stop functioning or would not be recognized by the system.

Apple's MacBook Air SMC update requires OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 or later, or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 or later to run. The download comes in at 804KB and is available from Apple's support website.
post #2 of 18

What's the picture got to do with this?

And what's wrong with that guy's hand?

post #3 of 18
I have a 2013 13" MBA with Yosemite installed.

Tried to run the SMC update, and I get the error "this update is already installed on your computer".

I guess they prepackaged that into 10.10.
post #4 of 18
Clearly he's offering the air up to Zeus, so that lightening will restore power
post #5 of 18
I also have a 2013 MBA and have indeed noticed a slight power drain, especially recently. I thought it was because of the heavy workload I subject the laptop to, and a possible resultant damage to the battery. Fingers crossed the update fixes it and I'm just paranoid. I love this thing too much to be having battery issues!!
post #6 of 18
Yet they won't fix the damn finder.
post #7 of 18

Probably a different engineering team.

post #8 of 18

Updated my wife's 2013 MBA with no install issues.

post #9 of 18
They issued a new SMC controller FIRMWARE. A new controller (hardware) would require a factory recall.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Newcomb View Post

Yet they won't fix the damn finder.
What is wrong with Finder?! Why does everyone say that? Finder is amazing, it works way better than stinking Explorer.exe. So I don't see the need to fix it. There's nothing they could do better. It's fast, safe, and intuitive.
post #11 of 18
To increase the already amazing battery life on it.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

What is wrong with Finder?! Why does everyone say that?

It won't remember window settings, it randomly sizes the name column (often far off screen, especially in searches) and the "labels" were made useless after 10.6.

post #13 of 18
It won't remember window settings...

Works fine here.

...it randomly sizes the name column...

So manually resize it.

…the “labels” were made useless after 10.6.

Nope.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Clearly he's offering the air up to Zeus, so that lightening will restore power

Or he’s offering it up for a backup to the cloud with a Thunderbolt connection.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Or he’s offering it up for a backup to the cloud with a Thunderbolt connection.

good one!

post #16 of 18
Quote:

It won't remember window settings, it randomly sizes the name column (often far off screen, especially in searches) and the "labels" were made useless after 10.6.
Seems that all of those work for me. It remembers my window settings, never resizes the name column, and I used labels a good bit till tags came along. Sounds like a problem with your preferences, I'd clear your preferences cache and see if that fixes it.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Seems that all of those work for me. It remembers my window settings, never resizes the name column, and I used labels a good bit till tags came along. Sounds like a problem with your preferences, I'd clear your preferences cache and see if that fixes it.

Nope. Its a problem with 10.9 and 10.10 on my 2008 Mini, 2012 Macbook air and 2013 iMac even with a clean install on all 3.

post #18 of 18

I've updated my MBA 2013 SMC and after that the video performance simply the worst I had ever seen on a Mac. The display is now too laggy and it is barely usable. I'm very disappointed. Also, I already tried to reset SMC and also NVRAM but it didn't worked. I had already experienced issues like this in a past SMC update and had to wait for an additional update to solve it. I hope I got it fixed soon or else I'll have to take my MBA for repair (at least to restore SMC firmware to the previous version).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple issues MacBook Air SMC update to fix battery drain issues