or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New aerial photos of Apple's Campus 2 show foundation work taking shape

New aerial photos of Apple's Campus 2 show foundation work taking shape

post #1 of 32
As Apple continues construction of its "Spaceship" Campus 2 in Cupertino, Calif., a number of interested onlookers are taking pictures of the site from land and air, revealing ongoing work at the tech giant's future headquarters.

Source: Ron Cervi via Twitter

A host of photos posted to Twitter by KCBS news and traffic reporter Ron Cervi show the rapid development of Apple's Campus 2 site, which is currently being prepped for foundation work.

In the latest image from Tuesday, Cervi reveals what appears to be a low wall has been erected running the perimeter of where the circular main building will stand. It is thought that construction crews will soon pour the foundation

An AppleInsider reader sent in the photo below, snapped while flying over Campus 2 last week, showing a wider view of the site's surroundings. Looking closely at the central circle plot, you can just make out the beginnings of the wall Cervi reported on today.

The image also offers a nice view of the grounds just below the main structure -- known as Plot 2 -- that are earmarked for large elongated pill-shaped parking structures and power facilities. Demolition work for Phase Two of the build, which will clear land along N. Tantau Ave. for R&D buildings and other ancillary structures, has not yet begun.

The major undertaking has seen the closure of streets bordering the area including Pruneridge Ave., which cuts through the main development between Apple's spaceship and ancillary office buildings. Apple sent out letters to Cupertino neighbors in March notifying them of the road work, while electronic street signs have been set up to inform drivers of upcoming closures.

Apple plans to move in to the large main structure done by 2016, while secondary buildings for accommodate meeting and presentation space will be finished on a rolling basis.
post #2 of 32
You can see my house in that second photo. :-)
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple plans to move in to the large main structure done by 2016

Doubt it. Perhaps a symbolic skeleton crew.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 32
This really shows the massive size of this building.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #5 of 32
It really is quite impressive.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 32

Here Apple embodies what an old physician mentor once told me, "life is too short to pussyfoot."

post #7 of 32

Thought so :-)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #8 of 32

The eagle...oops...I mean, the Apple has landed.

p.s. I thought at first someone was making those crop circles again. :lol:

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This really shows the massive size of this building.
Yeah! I knew it was going to be massive, but the mockups never gave me a sense of scale like seeing those trucks on the building site looking like pebbles scattered on the sand...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #10 of 32

Here's an idea for the Boardroom (courtesy FIFA).

FIFAwarroom

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #11 of 32

That is going to be one HUGE building when completed.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Here's an idea for the Boardroom (courtesy FIFA).

[image]

Check out this week's HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. He covers FIFA in hilarious detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That is going to be one HUGE building when completed.

According to @pazuzu it will be crap since it's made of glass and metal.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #13 of 32

Doubt if they'll be pouring the foundation any time soon. Take a look at the plans posted on Cupertino City Council's site. The bottom of the two sub level garage is more than 30' down. They've got a lot more earth to move, to say nothing of a LOT of form work and re-bar work to do before any concrete pouring can begin.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to @pazuzu it will be crap since it's made of glass and metal.

All these Apple buildings are starting to look the same¡

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 32
One Ring to Rule Them All
post #16 of 32
Quote:

Apple plans to move in to the large main structure done by 2016, while secondary buildings for accommodate meeting and presentation space will be finished on a rolling basis.

we don't need no stinkin copy editors.
post #17 of 32
The huge circle you see here can't be the outline if the main building. It doesn't take up the whole site! And I agree with DanielSW, they aren't nearly ready to pour any foundations since the main building has two levels of garage below it.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

we don't need no stinkin copy editors.

Are you kidding? That's like asking Huddler Lifestyle to test their own web site code on Safari.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Doubt if they'll be pouring the foundation any time soon. Take a look at the plans posted on Cupertino City Council's site. The bottom of the two sub level garage is more than 30' down. They've got a lot more earth to move, to say nothing of a LOT of form work and re-bar work to do before any concrete pouring can begin.

If you check those prints there is a 3' slab footer then over 3' of earthquake dampeners then the second level garage floor. That's a lot of concrete going in that hole. I'm concerned that hole isn't wide enough those prints show the garage levels at 308+ feet wide and that hole doesn't look a football field wide (18 FS cars end to end or 22 of those earth movers side by side). The office portion is only 180' wide glass to glass (sans overhangs). It is impressive what they've accomplished already can't wait for more pictures.
KennDDS
KennDDS
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That's always the case. It will take them months to move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I remember seeing earlier drawings showing that good portion of the landscape around the main "spaceship" building will be backfill. So they will not be excavating the whole 36 ft.

post #21 of 32

Illegal drone photography?

post #22 of 32
I think it's safe to say that while "Spaceship Campus" is a good "development name", when it's all said and done, I bet it gets a "Steve Jobs Memorial" type name.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

I've heard talk of that being outlawed but has that happened yet? And what about those with RC planes and helicopters that have existed for decades; are they exempt so long as they don't have a camera attached?

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I think it's safe to say that while "Spaceship Campus" is a good "development name", when it's all said and done, I bet it gets a "Steve Jobs Memorial" type name.

I will bet it does not.

Apple will call it Campus 2.

post #25 of 32

Every time I see the plot, I’m reminded of how much larger it would have been had they been able to buy the apartment complex.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple did the iPhone in 18 months. I’m pretty sure they can handle a little building.

post #26 of 32

My guess is that Apple will indeed start with a "symbolic skeleton crew" that happens to be the IT staff. They would likely need to be the first to arrive anyhow to set up servers, routers, etc.

It will likely be opened in zones, so the IT and move teams can handle the workload and logistics to relocate so many people. It takes time to build cubicles, move boxes, set up power and networking, work out the kinks of a new facility (like fixing a balky card key scanner), etc. Plus, it is not just individual offices, there would be labs involved in the move.

It will probably be based on groups or divisions, like the iOS team, or Mac notebook hardware team. One of the main points of the large structure is to put people who work together on the same project in close physical proximity to enhance communication and collaboration; right now many of those teams are likely scattered through dozens of buildings in Cupertino.

Another consideration are project deadlines. They would carefully schedule moves to avoid impacting major deadlines. Let's say a gold master of iOS __ is due on September 9; well they aren't going to move the iOS team the first week of September. In the same way, they wouldn't move their finance team while they are in the midst of closing the books from the previous quarter.

A tiered move-in would also smooth things for contractors (food service, security, maintenance, etc.).

If I recall correctly, Apple is generating some of the power on site (solar panels and fuel cells), so bringing power online to support the building would also be done in stages.

Edited by mpantone - 6/11/14 at 12:24pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

it's not illegal to take photos. this was very likely an airplane or chopper.

post #28 of 32
Very likely? Did you read the beginning of the article?:
"A host of photos posted to Twitter by KCBS news and traffic reporter Ron Cervi"

As for the move, it won't be a problem. The new and old campuses are only a short distance apart. "Now we want each of you to carry at least two boxes when you walk over to your new office . . ."
post #29 of 32
Quote:

In the latest image from Tuesday, Cervi reveals what appears to be a low wall

That 'low wall' is several meters high.

post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That 'low wall' is several meters high.

According to the Cupertino prints the retaining wall is close to 40 feet tall and as I posted earlier it should be 309 feet between the interior and exterior retaining walls.

KennDDS
KennDDS
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

According to the Cupertino prints the retaining wall is close to 40 feet tall and as I posted earlier it should be 309 feet between the interior and exterior retaining walls.

Yes, I was thinking about that too :)

post #32 of 32
This structure is fantastic. although I would really like to see some kind a train system integrated into the facility. I'm sure its great once inside but the employees still have to sit in gridlock traffic to get there.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New aerial photos of Apple's Campus 2 show foundation work taking shape