or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple HomeKit partner Honeywell takes on Google's Nest with Lyric smart thermostat

Apple HomeKit partner Honeywell takes on Google's Nest with Lyric smart thermostat

post #1 of 58
Honeywell, a name familiar to hundreds of millions of consumers around the world thanks to its iconic round thermostats, is gearing up to put its own spin on the "internet of things" with a new, Internet-connected thermostat called Lyric.

Lyric's flagship feature is the ability to alter the temperature of a space dynamically. The most basic regulation is done using the owner's location, much like competing products from companies like Nest, which was recently acquired by Google.

"Most people don't have a predictable pattern to how they live their lives; why not have a thermostat that adjusts based on your real-time schedule?" Honeywell executive Beth Wozniak said in a release. "With the Lyric thermostat's geofencing capability, my house returns to my preferred comfort setting when I'm within a few miles from home. Quite simply, the Lyric thermostat offers me the ability to keep my life in tune delivering comfort when I'm home and savings when I'm gone."

Honeywell has gone one further, however, with a new addition called Fine Tune.

Fine Tune takes environmental factors like existing indoor and outdoor temperatures, humidity, and weather into account when adjusting the heating and cooling levels. This allows Lyric to find "the most comfortable temperature" for occupants, Honeywell says.

Lyric works alongside a smartphone app that allows for remote control, but it can also operate independently with controls located on the thermostat itself.

A proximity sensor illuminates the display when a user walks up to it, showing the current temperature and a color ring indicating the system's status -- orange for heating, blue for cooling, or green for energy saving mode. The display can also show current and future weather data.

Honeywell is one of a number of manufacturers that have partnered with Apple to support HomeKit, the iPhone maker's new home automation standard introduced with iOS 8. It is unknown whether Lyric will receive an update with HomeKit integration once iOS 8 ships this fall, though such an occurrence is likely.

Lyric is available now from HVAC contractors and will be on retail shelves in August for $279.
post #2 of 58
It would be great if there was an upgrade program for those with Nest. We could send in the &^()*@ Google devices and get a Lyric thermometer.

I bought Nest because I believed and TRUSTED in the Nest company - definitely not true for Google.
post #3 of 58
Sure sounds like my Nest being described
post #4 of 58

Glad these are announced. I close on my new house in a month. May just wait for the DIY option. Love the geofencing option.

post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Does the Nest have geofencing at the moment? I didn't think so (could be wrong, and am sure they will).

post #6 of 58

Most of the features touted here are already available Europe and have been for a while. The Tado Thermostat has all these features and more, what's more they are looking to build in the support for the new features in iOS 8.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #7 of 58
Android app as well.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It's even round like the Nest! Those thieving bastards at Honeywell can't do anything original. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 58

Finally got into their website and found dimensions; 3' dia x 1" thick, just about the same as the Nest. One thing I noticed was the battery it uses. It looks like a typical AA battery while the Nest uses a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which is supposed to work for several years.

I really wish Honeywell would have entered with a much lower price, something under $200 would have been better than almost $300. This isn't an iWatch after all. :-)

post #10 of 58

Honeywell is no small company. I'm sure Google is not pleased but this surely was expected.

"Would you like Honeywell in your home... or Nest?"

Reminds me of what they used to say about IBM... "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's even round like the Nest! Those thieving bastards at Honeywell can't do anything original. /s

HAHA! Good one! 

My neighbor still has the original honeywell as their main thermostat. It's cool and all, but seriously, they have to adjust it 5 times a day!

post #12 of 58
That explains the recent $20 price drop on the Nest.

post #13 of 58
wouldn't be surprised to see this selling for $225 by mid 2015.

wish hvac systems would have per room electric dampers so it could just cool the rooms i'm in rather than my whole zone.
post #14 of 58

I remember from WWDC when they announced HomeKit and were showing slides of various types of devices. When they got to thermostats Apple showed Honeywell, not Nest. Quite the snub, I'd say.

post #15 of 58

Google must be kicking themselves in the butt for buying Next for 3.2 billion.

post #16 of 58
But can I see ads on the thing?
post #17 of 58
take that, tony fadell!
post #18 of 58
That's the whole issue. There's nothing special about the concept or execution. With multiple vendors already in the home thermostat space, of course Nest would see competition. And your home thermostat doesn't carry the fashion or luxury goods cachet of a smartphone, for example. So I think it makes sense for Apple to take the approach they are taking, leaving it up to the vendors of utilitarian products like thermostats and such to create products that integrate with the Apple iOS ecosystem. Google spent a lot of money on hardware when the sexiness and consumer appeal lies in the software.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But can I see ads on the thing?

http://www.lyric.honeywell.com/ lots of info and videos

post #20 of 58

Anyone still wants to b1tch why Apple didn't buy Nest?!! :smokey:

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Google must be kicking themselves in the butt for buying Next for 3.2 billion.

Nest is going to start building headphones.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #22 of 58
So, basically, when you're having dinner at the neighbours your house will remain warm. All evening long. Ok, got it.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #23 of 58
Or even better I go out for the evening and the kids can really CHILL out with no heating.
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

wish hvac systems would have per room electric dampers so it could just cool the rooms i'm in rather than my whole zone.

http://www.smarthome.com/3086/12-Inch-Diameter-Normally-Closed-Electronic-HVAC-Air-Duct-Damper-001-00020-12RDNC/p.aspx

add insteon ... add this-> http://www.indigodomo.com/

(or go Zwave... or whatever...  I make no claim for the above, other than it works for me.... on my mac mini).

This is _the_ thing.   Home automation is not having a whole bunch things that turn on/off automatically.

Nest opened up 'learning your activity' and curve fitting to that pattern.    But when you want to control lights, heat, air, shades, windows, doors, and in your case setting up zones... you need a bit more.   This is more.

post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So, basically, when you're having dinner at the neighbours your house will remain warm. All evening long. Ok, got it.

Constantly adjusting the temperature costs money. The fluctuations can't be too great. If you live in a cold climate this certainly applies. You can only do so much with a thermostat - insulation is more important. What I like about the Honeywell is that it can adjust according to the kind of het / cold (humid / dry). If it works it would be awesome. 

post #26 of 58
c
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Or even better I go out for the evening and the kids can really CHILL out with no heating.
It links to multiple devices and can also be controlled manually. I see another tie in though. Honeywell makes alarms too, so if there is motion and no doors open, or the alarm is in stay mode, iOS 8 could potentially override the changes. Even alerting the owner it's doing so.
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Constantly adjusting the temperature costs money. The fluctuations can't be too great. If you live in a cold climate this certainly applies. You can only do so much with a thermostat - insulation is more important. What I like about the Honeywell is that it can adjust according to the kind of het / cold (humid / dry). If it works it would be awesome. 

That is actually a good point. Tnx
post #29 of 58
Quote:

You hit on a keep point, a well built house has these or zone heating for hot water heating. But the large majority of homes in the world do not they have a basic heat the entire house at the same time. The expense of putting in Damper per room is very high and not easily done on most homes. Unless you can zone your HVAC system your wasting energy conditioning spacing in your home which do not need it.

You do not need a $200+ thermostat to cut your heating and cooling cost, you can get a $30 programmable one which will do the exact same thing as the Nest without the fancy web-base interface. 

I like how these companies say that the thermostat will learn what you like, true if you are the only one in your home, put 4 people into the equation coming and going on different schedules and all have their own opinion on what is consider comfortable and these things fail. In my home no on touches the thermostat, only me since I pay the bill and it is not a democracy, there it no voting, it is the only way to stop the fighting about who turn it up or down and who is hot or cold. Simple solution wear more or less cloths and deal with it.

I have tracked my energy cost and it not easy since there are too many factors which you have to take into consideration when your costs are going up or down, the biggest one is weather itself and how it changes day to day and year to year. You can not just look at outside temps, you have to look at how much snow you have on the ground and roof of your house, verse the air temp since snow can be a good insulator. Also wind plays a large factor as well. Also was it over cast or very sunny. It can be an 80F day with little sun and your roof is not hot, or an 80F day and lots of sun and you fry and egg on your roof.

These company make you think you will same energy cost by putting these products in, but consumer have not way of measuring whether they are saving money. Also playing with your thermostat via an app will wear off with time and you will not go in and turn down or up your HVAC system and it will become like any other simple programmable thermostat.

I can tell the big cost saving i saw was just replacing incandescent lights with LED. 

Edited by Maestro64 - 6/11/14 at 8:45am
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I like how these companies say that the thermostat will learn what you like, true if you are the only one in your home, put 4 people into the equation coming and going on different schedules and all have their own opinion on what is consider comfortable and these things fail. 

These types of devices can tell who's home by looking at SSIDs of detected devices with a strong enough signal (e.g. not neighbors), then associating that with requested temperatures through the thermostat.

post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

These types of devices can tell who's home by looking at SSIDs of detected devices with a strong enough signal (e.g. not neighbors), then associating that with requested temperatures through the thermostat.

which means each person has control over the thermostat. Yeah you do not live in a house where everyone has an opinion on what the perfect temperature is. Also you do not have teenage who are looking for any reason to get on a sibling nerves.

Why do you think all public places which happen to have a manual thermostat put them behind a lock box.

Lastly if you talk to anyone in the environmental controls industry they will tell you its better not to keep changing the temp in your home you save more by setting and leaving it alone for a period of time. 

Edited by Maestro64 - 6/13/14 at 6:28am
post #32 of 58
Quote:

Capt. Picard: "Computer, seal off all ventilation shafts on decks 10 through 12."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 58
thermostat wars heating up!
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Better not leave any of those gadgets at home then.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 58
Capt. Picard: "Computer, seal off all ventilation shafts on decks 10 through 12."

“SHUT DOWN ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL, WILL YOU?!”

“WHERE, ARE WE?! 3263827!”

post #36 of 58
Quote:

Yeah you do not live in a house where everyone has an opinion on what the perfect temperature its. Also you do not have teenage who are looking for any reason to get on a sibling nerves.

Yes, I do. We are considerate of each other. Most of the time. If someone is too cold to drop the temp, I can sit under a ceiling fan, etc. We don't need a dictatorship to get along in our house, but good luck.

Quote:

Lastly if you talk to anyone in the environmental controls industry they will tell you its better not to keep changing the temp in your home you save more by setting and leaving it alone for a period of time. 

Are you under the impression that HVAC was designed to save money? HVAC is designed for comfort. The less comfort they provide, surely the less energy they will use. This is not a surprise.

Surely you can see the efficiency advantages to a system holding a more neutral temp than a more comfortable temp if it notices that nobody has come home according to the usual schedule (due to an event or emergency).

post #37 of 58
Quote:

HAL: I'm afraid I can't do that.
post #38 of 58

I know right!

post #39 of 58

So much for the lame argument that Apple should have bought Nest. Remember the snarking and guffaws that Google had done something great while Apple missed the boat? 

post #40 of 58
Quote:

You can do that easily. It just a matter money. There are also ductless systems (Mitsubishi comes to mind) that are installed with separate thermostats for each zone.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple HomeKit partner Honeywell takes on Google's Nest with Lyric smart thermostat