or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung endorser LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy

Samsung endorser LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm making a mental note these days to check what headphones people are wearing around me. Whether in the gym in malls, coffee shops, on the road, etc- the ratio I'm seeing is seriously 70% beats headphones, 25% Apple, and the rest everything else. Yes, whether you like it or not, Beats are extremely popular and mainstream. WIth the Beats purchase, Apple now OWNS the headphone market, which means they can do very interesting things in the future (ie. transitioning to lightning headphones would be much easier). Many things about this deal make sense from multiple angles. 

I thought the consensus was that Apple bought Beats for the streaming service and the talents of Iovine and Dre. The headphone part of the deal was said to be secondary.

This is a new side of Apple that we have not seen before. I'm sure they have a plan, but to me, it is not immediately obvious what that plan is. At first, I was surprised and confused by the rumor/announcement, and admittedly was not a big fan of the deal, but I now have a wait and see attitude. Perhaps Apple Beats by Dre will become as much a household name as Nike Air Jordan has become. It is just somewhat out of context of a typical Apple acquisition.

I think most of the vocal opposition, here in the forum, feel that associating with Beats somehow dilutes the pristine Apple brand, because of the street thug reputation of hip-hop-rap artists, but Apple has been prominently promoting this type of music and subculture for several years on the home page of the iTunes Store. I don't buy that type of music but Apple apparently doesn't mind selling it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But they were the ones betting that those mortgages would be paid.  Wall Street sold those mortages as financial paper.  That's why the government had to spend hundreds of BILLIONS of $ to buy up those toxic assets.  Foreclosures were bad.  But what tanked the economy was the money betting that these mortgages would not default.

You seriously need to read up on the corruption and stupidity of Wall Street.

All true and a number of Wall Street and Banking execs should have gone to jail.   And there's also tons of cheating done on Wall Street, whether it's firms who use automated buying and selling systems that manipulate the market, analysts who write negatively about a stock because they want to short it or the sorts of inane financial manipulation that almost no one understands and is still taking place.   And of course, there's also the arrogance displayed after the bailouts when banking and Wall Street execs cried that the Government was against them and turned them into villains as they still lived in their $15 million apartments and wore their $3000 suits at the same time that many ordinary people lost their life savings. 

But it's also true that Wall Street has made even ordinary people lots of money, especially once the market started to recover after 2008.  Since then, only 2011 was a terrible year, but 2013 was spectacular.    I'm an idiot investor and even I've made lots of money, especially last year.   Yes, it could all come crashing down again, but right now, things are looking pretty good.    

post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The government didn't spend anything. It was all paid back. I'll agree with stupidity, but corruption is much harder to prove. They were sold a bill of goods and swallowed it hook, line, and sinker without any due diligence.

Only if you also consider the return on investments.

According to ProPublica, as of June 10th, the Government put out $611 billion in money spent, invested or loaned.   Only $387 billion has been returned, but the Government earned $255 billion in revenue on those investments and loans.   This has resulted in total income of $643 billion for a profit of $30.6 billion.

(By the way, if a poll was taken, how many people would know that the Government actually did make a profit on the bailouts?   I bet 7% or less.)

post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Ok, so all celebrity endorsers are "whores"? Or just the "urban" ones? I've read a lot of your angry rants, but this barely-concealed coded racist language "This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with?" is much too much. There, I said it. 

The guy is racist to the core. It's the only rational explanation for the rage he has in such posts. He's so upset about Apple being "tainted" by these people of color. It's despicable, really. As if he, and everyone else on this forum (including me, regardless of how much I hate Samsung) would turn down the chance to be paid millions of dollar for appearing in a damn ad about a phone. Apple ][ has no problem with white people doing this, but when a black person does it he defines them as "whores" and shills. The fact that he just can't come out and admit he's a blatant racist is hilarious- and sad. 

post #45 of 81

I'm so happy LeBron has another $30 million I could just shit.

post #46 of 81
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Don't quit your day job. Wall Street is 100% in favor of the purchase.

Guess you missed all the articles from before it was confirmed, huh.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I'm so happy LeBron has another $30 million I could just shit.

Why not? 

Lebron makes about $60M a year and entertains millions of people around the world and is boon to the Miami beach economy.

David Tepper a hedge fund manager made $3.5B - that's right 3.5 BILLION trading stocks.  The real crooks are on Wall street

post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess you missed all the articles from before it was confirmed, huh.

That was before all the details were know. 

After the details came out 9 out of 10 Wall street crooks said it was a good deal

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Ok, so all celebrity endorsers are "whores"? Or just the "urban" ones? I've read a lot of your angry rants, but this barely-concealed coded racist language "This is the kind of people that Apple wishes to be associated with?" is much too much. There, I said it. 

Yeah, I'm totally ok with Samsung shills, as long as they are not "urban".:err:

post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right? 

It says in the article that Beats will continue to use him in their ads, and that's clearly a conflict of interest, since we all know now that Apple will be buying Beats.

post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Replace the word "endorser" with "paid shill" and you have the truth.
He was bought to advertise, the same way he did with Beats.
Sell out. I bet he uses an iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When he plays a game, does he get paid by both his team and the team that he's playing against?

He should stick to throwing balls through hoops, because Apple has no use for his talents, in my opinion.

So, I guess every celebrity & athlete who endorses a product (and there are thousands of them) are all sell-outs and shills and should be disgraced? I guess those celebrities who starred in Apple commercials 3-4 years ago should return their money and be disgraced? You must also hate Led Zeppelin (they just let Christian Dior use Whole Lotta Love in an ad), Tom Hanks, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, and the list goes on endlessly... they are all greedy bumbs and a-holes?! Hmmm.... okay.

post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The guy uses Beats headphones in real life.  Watch ever single pre-game/post-game interview and he has his Beats on. 

I said

Replace the word "endorser" with "paid shill".

This would give you the headline:

"Samsung paid shill LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy".

So what I said was he is a shill for Samsung because despite being paid to say he uses a Samsung phone, guess what?

Feel free to point out where I said he was a Beats shill.

What I'm getting at is that he may be a Samsung endorser but, like all the other endorsers, he is actually an iPhone user.

I hope that has cleared up your confusion.

post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

So, I guess every celebrity & athlete who endorses a product (and there are thousands of them) are all sell-outs and shills and should be disgraced? I guess those celebrities who starred in Apple commercials 3-4 years ago should return their money and be disgraced? You must also hate Led Zeppelin (they just let Christian Dior use Whole Lotta Love in an ad), Tom Hanks, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, and the list goes on endlessly... they are all greedy bumbs and a-holes?! Hmmm.... okay.

I am an Apple fan, and I don't approve of any celebrity who would be whoring themselves out to both Samsung and Apple, since I obviously do not like Samsung at all.

post #54 of 81
Quote:

Yeah, I'm totally ok with Samsung shills, as long as they are not "urban".1bugeye.gif

What does that even mean?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #55 of 81
Quote:

It means that my reply and outrage would not have been any different if an "urban" Samsung shill were replaced with a non-"urban" Samsung shill. even though a few racists and potential rapists on here would disagree.

What constitutes 'urban'? At this point in time, you're probably more urban than LeBron.
post #56 of 81
If Dre's ayebrows and ears were any more pointier, he would look like a Vulcan.

Can anyone photoshop this image of Dre to look like a Vulcan?
post #57 of 81

No that's how your redistribute wealth! :) 

post #58 of 81
Quote:

I am an Apple fan, and I don't approve of any celebrity who would be whoring themselves out to both Samsung and Apple, since I obviously do not like Samsung at all.

How is LeBron "whoring" himself out to both? He endorses Samsung (until his contract with them expires) and he likely got some Beats stock when he signed to endorse them (standard procedure) before Beats was bought by Apple. There is no connection. He profited from the Beats sale to Apple, that is not endorsing Apple. A celebrity must immediately drop all their stock in a company if that company is purchased by the rival of one of their endorsers? That's absurd. You make it sound like he's doing Apple ads, he's tied to contracts that existed before this sale, he should break his contracts and get sued to appease the people on this site?

post #59 of 81
Quote:

The government didn't spend anything. It was all paid back. I'll agree with stupidity, but corruption is much harder to prove. They were sold a bill of goods and swallowed it hook, line, and sinker without any due diligence.

BS.  The US government is spending tens of BILLIONS of dollars buying up mortgage backed securities.  The work of Wall Street.

"On Wednesday, Barclays Capital economist Michael Gapen said the bank expects the Fed to maintain asset purchases at a rate of $85 billion per month through year-end and will only begin to slow the pace in the first quarter of 2014.Many of those assets are from the days of toxic, sub-prime mortgages. The Fed is spending billions keeping the mortgage backed securities market afloat after it blew out in the worst derivatives bubble ever in U.S. history."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/05/22/no-end-to-the-feds-asset-purchasing-til-2014-maybe/

post #60 of 81
Quote:

Versus how many people have they made filthy rich? Wall Street wasn't the lone offender is those instances. They weren't the ones handing out mortgages to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

That would be the Banks, they also do reverse mortgages to every old person over 62 years old, Insurance companies are also in on the scams, Wall Street, Hedge Funds, and Equity companies have recovered from 2008 and are washing, and rinsing to repeat it all again. 

post #61 of 81
Athletes have been doing doing this for years. Nothing new here. They just want money, and would be happy to "endorse" any product as long as it brings a paycheck.
post #62 of 81
Quote:

What constitutes 'urban'? At this point in time, you're probably more urban than LeBron.

He probably means "urban culture". From Wikipedia:
"In the United States, Urban culture may also sometimes be used as a euphemistic reference to (post-Great Migration) contemporary African American culture."

Because the other dictionary definition of urban: relating to or characteristic of a city or town makes no sense in the context of the posts above that use the term.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

He probably means "urban culture". From Wikipedia:
"In the United States, Urban culture may also sometimes be used as a euphemistic reference to (post-Great Migration) contemporary African American culture."

Because the other dictionary definition of urban: relating to or characteristic of a city or town makes no sense in the context of the posts above that use the term.

And if I remember correctly @Apple ][ lives in Manhattan. Which would most certainly make him 'urban' 1wink.gif
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone will have to bear responsibility for this Beats non-sense. If Tim thinks that Apple users will rush to buy overpriced streaming subscriptions to add to the pool of the existing 110k Beats customers, he is deeply mistaken.  I am thinking Cook is going out in 2-3 years.
The price has lowered since the purchase. Apples looks more at the Jimmy Lovine and that they can stream to Android devices without really being Apple themselves while making money. There's no ways Cook is going out, he's been the only CEO that's Steve Jobs has been happy with and he's also been the only CEO besides Steve Jobs to actually do any good to the company.
post #65 of 81
Just shows he has an iPhone and a pair of beats at home, got to love Apple in any way and that galaxy just stays in his car unwanted.
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

The price has lowered since the purchase. Apples looks more at the Jimmy Lovine and that they can stream to Android devices without really being Apple themselves while making money. There's no ways Cook is going out, he's been the only CEO that's Steve Jobs has been happy with and he's also been the only CEO besides Steve Jobs to actually do any good to the company.

Don't get me wrong. I think he is operation genius, but he lacks vision. He bets on a company which was in its decline. And their streaming service was a total failure. If not saved by Apple, Beats would just die by slow death.
Steve would never invest into the past.
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

You do realize Apple isn't paying him, nor using his talents, right?  He essentially invested in Beats in 2008.  That investment netted him quite a healthy return when Beats sold for $3 billion in 2014.  Since he is a 'celebrity' and Apple is somehow involved it qualifies as news here.  Calling him a sell out because Apple chose to buy a company he invested in is pretty silly.  You might as well call Apple the sellout for buying a company at which one of the owners uses something other than an Apple phone...

They probably told him he could get paid some cash now or take a stake in the company. If that's the case it's hard to say he's either an idiot and/or he's a shill that didn't believe in the company.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #68 of 81
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I think he is operation genius, but he lacks vision. He bets on a company which was in its decline. And their streaming service was a total failure. If not saved by Apple, Beats would just die by slow death.

And what part of Beats was failing? Their domination of the headphone market or their brand new streaming service that just launched this year?
Quote:
Steve would never invest into the past.

There we go! True colors revealed.

post #69 of 81
1% of a company is pretty good pay for acting/modeling in ads.
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It gets old doesn't it? Channeling deceased CEOs always seemed to be in bad taste, and it doesn't even matter, as it portrays a static vision of the individual. Jobs himself changed his mind on a number of things over the years, yet someone trying to second guess him today can only look at the subset of publicly known decisions made toward the last known points where he was still alive. I get really tired of it, because it's not accurate or a reasonable way to gauge anything.

post #71 of 81
Quote:

Someone will have to bear responsibility for this Beats non-sense. If Tim thinks that Apple users will rush to buy overpriced streaming subscriptions to add to the pool of the existing 110k Beats customers, he is deeply mistaken.  I am thinking Cook is going out in 2-3 years.

We need to come back in a year and see just what this $3BILLION has bought Apple. I'm over questioning it anymore.
However I will never buy a Beats headphones and have no need for any streaming subscription now as Amazon just gave it to me for free.
The facts will speak for themselves.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And what part of Beats was failing? Their domination of the headphone market or their brand new streaming service that just launched this year?

The headphones are far from innovative. All marketing.

post #73 of 81
Crony capitalism.

post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The headphones are far from innovative. All marketing.

They sell like crazy.

Amazon is shit, outside the US.

I never bought into their music as they wanted me to install software and register a credit card, at least Beats should be able to access over the 1 million songs Amazon is restricted to.

Universal and Sony will at least jump on board, they are loathe to join Amazon after the way they treat book publishers.

Karma can be a bitch, right?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #75 of 81
I have been reading AppleInsider since I came across it in 1999 and have found the comments interesting and often amusing but have never been motivated enough by any subject to offer my own views. However when I read that Apple were going to pay $3Billion for a bunch of second rate headphones and a few thousand subscribers to a streaming music site I just had to comment. Has Tim Cook gone completely barking mad? We have a company in England, Bowers & Wilkins, who produce far better headphones than Beats. Surely they could have B & W technology with a Jony Ive case design for a fraction of the cost of Beats. As far as the few thousand subscribers to the streaming music are concerned how many $million of advertising would be required to get a similar number of subscribers?
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They sell like crazy.

Amazon is shit, outside the US.

I never bought into their music as they wanted me to install software and register a credit card, at least Beats should be able to access over the 1 million songs Amazon is restricted to.

Universal and Sony will at least jump on board, they are loathe to join Amazon after the way they treat book publishers.

Karma can be a bitch, right?

Hmmm- didn't Apple make you install software ITunes and register a credit card too? That's standard procedure nowadays.
Karma is always a bitch.

post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Hmmm- didn't Apple make you install software ITunes and register a credit card too? That's standard procedure nowadays.
Karma is always a bitch.

No, iTunes is included on a Mac.

No, you don't need a credit card to open an iTunes account.

post #78 of 81

To download any music you do.  And if you don't download music then it's not really comparable to Beats Music.

Unless... do you need a credit card attached to your iTunes account to download free tracks, previews, or access iTunes Radio in the US?

censored

censored

post #79 of 81
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
To download any music you do.

Nope.

Unless... do you need a credit card attached to your iTunes account to download free tracks, previews, or access iTunes Radio in the US? 

Nope. Nor to download paid tracks.

post #80 of 81

Oh, prepaid cards, right?  Forgot about those.  Not exactly the method that the system pushes most, or the obvious choice for a consumer though.

That's what you meant right?  You could've said.

censored

censored

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung endorser LeBron James made a reported $30M from Apple's Beats buy