or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's smarter Smart Cover would keep users up to date with illuminated alerts

Apple's smarter Smart Cover would keep users up to date with illuminated alerts - Page 2

post #41 of 57

I actually would love this feature.  One common thing that happens to me is that I usually have my Iphone on my desk,  I have to get up and go speak to someone for a few minutes, a message comes in etc...  I come back to my desk start working, check my phone, say an hour later and see I missed a TXT from my wife because I was away when the chime went off and I didn't think to check it immediately when I got back to my desk.  I little flashing LED would alert me that there was something I missed.  

It's the same reason answering machines have a flashing light and the same reason mailboxes used to have little red flags.  so people didn't have to keep checking their answering machine just to hear "No New Messages"  and so they don't have to keep walking out to the curb just to see that the mail hasn't been delivered yet.

post #42 of 57

What would be awesome would be a smart cover (for both IPhone and Ipad)  that had a "flexible" E-Ink display.  that could have messages turned on , i.e  

* email from Tom,  

* Message from Wife

* Reminder:  Take out trash

with e-ink these can be turned on and LEFT ON until you deal with them with NO POWER drain!   This is similar to the HTC dot-cover,  but the dot-cover has the same issue as the Iphone, that notifications only show for few seconds as the dot cover uses the underlying display and consumes power when in use, approximately the same power checking the lock screen 

Or perhaps even build in a small e-ink display into the bezel of the phone maybe?  under the "glass"  near the top or the bottom,  so it looks just like the normal Iphone bezel when not in use, but then you can see an icon appear when there is a notification, and this could be a permanent icon(until you deal with it) that takes NO POWER.  Apple could even expand the touch area to cover the icon so you could tap it to wake the phone to the notification.

(White phone fronts would have the E-Ink white background with black notifications and black Iphone would be the opposite,  black background with white notifications)

Just an idea :)

Created with GIMP

This is possible,  just look at how this watch looks: 

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/cst01_ultra_thin_e_ink_watch_1.jpg

Edited by jvanleuvan - 6/17/14 at 10:27am
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post

I actually would love this feature.  One common thing that happens to me is that I usually have my Iphone on my desk,  I have to get up and go speak to someone for a few minutes, a message comes in etc...  I come back to my desk start working, check my phone, say an hour later and see I missed a TXT from my wife because I was away when the chime went off and I didn't think to check it immediately when I got back to my desk.  I little flashing LED would alert me that there was something I missed.
EXACTLY

censored

censored

post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm always dying to get my notifications when I'm asleep or on a roller coaster. What brilliant examples you gave of when you don't want to miss a notification.
Silliness. Obviously you'd want to get your notifications when you wake up, or exit the roller coaster, or finish whatever it was you were doing that meant you weren't paying attention to your phone.
Quote:

And constant physical contact with your phone? Most people never have their phone with them most of the time, no, you couldn't be closer to the truth.
I think you've completely misread me there, and it's led to a sentence that makes no sense. Most people are not in constant physical contact with their phone. That's the point. Notifications get missed.
Quote:

And I'm sure you would agree that it's much too arduous to press the home button once to see if you've missed any notifications; much too hard.
Not really, but that's not the point and never has been the point. All other things being equal, I think an LED notifier would be preferable than having no notifier.

censored

censored

post #45 of 57
Quote:

What would be awesome would be a smart cover (for both IPhone and Ipad)  that had a "flexible" E-Ink display.  that could have messages turned on , i.e  

* email from Tom,  

* Message from Wife

* Reminder:  Take out trash

with e-ink these can be turned on and LEFT ON until you deal with them with NO POWER drain!   This is similar to the HTC dot-cover,  but the dot-cover has the same issue as the Iphone, that notifications only show for few seconds as the dot cover uses the underlying display and consumes power when in use, approximately the same power checking the lock screen 

Or perhaps even build in a small e-ink display into the bezel of the phone maybe?  under the "glass"  near the top or the bottom,  so it looks just like the normal Iphone bezel when not in use, but then you can see an icon appear when there is a notification, and this could be a permanent icon(until you deal with it) that takes NO POWER.  Apple could even expand the touch area to cover the icon so you could tap it to wake the phone to the notification.

(White phone fronts would have the E-Ink white background with black notifications and black Iphone would be the opposite,  black background with white notifications)

Just an idea :)

Created with GIMP

This is possible,  just look at how this watch looks: 

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/cst01_ultra_thin_e_ink_watch_1.jpg

Great ideas. I don't think e-ink would be used unless colour is possible, which I don't think it is, unless the technology has moved on from when I last heard.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Silliness. Obviously you'd want to get your notifications when you wake up, or exit the roller coaster, or finish whatever it was you were doing that meant you weren't paying attention to your phone.
I think you've completely misread me there, and it's led to a sentence that makes no sense. Most people are not in constant physical contact with their phone. That's the point. Notifications get missed.

I saw a great example of a missed notification in the movie Unstoppable when the character Will finally stopped the runaway train he heard his flip phone chime for a missed call from his wife whom he was fighting with beforehand. Feature phones always had reminders, I'm truly amazed that they've been done away with in smartphones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #47 of 57
Quote:

Great ideas. I don't think e-ink would be used unless colour is possible, which I don't think it is, unless the technology has moved on from when I last heard.

No Color isn't possible with e-ink.  BUT the nice feature of e-ink is that it only uses power to CHANGE,  i.e. it uses a little power to create the notification icon,  but once it's displayed,  it stays displayed forever with essentially no power draw,  so it could be an always-on reminder.

I would envision it working well blended into the either white/black bezel.

:)

post #48 of 57
Color isn't possible with e-ink.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Those might be photoshopped. I did a search and none of the color eInk readers I saw had such vivid colors, nor could they display white.
post #50 of 57
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Those might be photoshopped.

Nope. Review. (summary: it's garbage, but it exists)

post #51 of 57
Quote:
All of the colors were dull and flat, and were merely saturation variations on brownish-red, sea-foam green and muted blue

Suggests that the marketing images probably have been Photoshopped.

censored

censored

post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Review.
(summary: it's garbage, but it exists)

Can you honestly say that this (yes that's color)

looks like this?
post #53 of 57
Quote:

Can you honestly say that this (yes that's color)

looks like this?
He might. It probably depends on who makes that device. 1wink.gif
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

He might. It probably depends on who makes that device. 1wink.gif

Did you not see the links TS provided?
post #55 of 57
Quote:

That would require paying attention to a post by TS which is something I try to avoid whenever possible.  The vast majority of the time I skip right by his posts as they are commonly one-liners with no thought and which add little to the conversation.

post #56 of 57

That would require paying attention to a post by TS which is something I try to avoid whenever possible.  The vast majority of the time I skip right by his posts as they are commonly one-liners with no thought and which add little to the conversation.

What should I do here? Prove his point outright (he’s wrong)? Prove his point jokingly? Prove his point jokingly in a way too subtle for most people to recognize (say, by making the text that disproves his point–and makes it a joke–white)? I think I’ll do a combination of the latter two. Hi-yo!

post #57 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

Horse. High.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's smarter Smart Cover would keep users up to date with illuminated alerts