or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to launch Apple HealthKit competitor for Android at I/O conference - report

Google to launch Apple HealthKit competitor for Android at I/O conference - report

post #1 of 94
Apple's new HealthKit health and fitness tracking platform looks set to gain a fresh challenger in the form of Android developer Google, which will reportedly launch a similar service dubbed Google Fit at its annual developer conference in San Francisco later this month.

Google's previous health tracking effort, which was shuttered in 2012.
Google's previous health effort, which was shuttered in 2012.

Google will attempt to upstage Apple's HealthKit reveal by announcing immediate partnerships with companies that make wearable devices, according to Forbes. Those agreements are likely to be similar to the ones struck with LG and Fossil for Google's Android Wear wearable software stack.

If true, Google would be the third major technology company to push into the field. Samsung pre-announced its own Sami platform, complete with a $50 million innovation fund and hardware reference designs, in late May.

Little else is known about Google's plans, though information revealed by Forbes points to a system very much like those shown off by Apple and Samsung, including a centralized repository for data tracking. In any case, it would not be Google's first foray into the medical field.

The company launched Google Health, a short-lived collation service for personal medical records, in 2008 and shuttered it in 2012. Google has also been seen dabbling in glucose-monitoring contact lenses and recently announced the formation of Calico, a medical research company focusing on age-related issues and headed by Apple chairman Art Levinson.
post #2 of 94

Of course....

post #3 of 94

I want nothing to do with this. In the eyes of Google, we are not their customer, we are their product.

Apple's priority is not mining our personal data, their data-driven services are designed to support the devices and services that they sell. Apple's revenue model is derived from selling actual stuff, not mining my data for ulterior uses.

post #4 of 94
Good luck with that one, Google... Hahahaha!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 94

*Sigh* Is this the marketing bullet-point for this year from companies that people will briefly play with and then ignore?

post #6 of 94
Just what I need: Ads for Jenny Craig after Google sniffs out my BMI in my "private" health files. HIPAA be damned!
post #7 of 94

Yeah.  Rights.

I typed in High Blood Pressure into Google under Chrome

(just think it if had all your diagnoses, conditions)

Sponsored Ads

1. Lower Blood Pressure Fast‎

www.medicalpublications.org/‎

Natural -No Drugs -No Side Effects

Nobel Prize Discovery - Guaranteed

2. Lower Your Blood Pressure

resperate.com/Lower_Blood_Pressure

(646) 652-5807

RESPeRATE™ - Recommended By Doctors
    For Over 20 Years. Learn More!

3. High Blood Pressure Diet‎

www.beyonddiet.com/‎

5 Foods you should never eat

to avoid high blood pressure

4. I had High Blood Pressure

www.bloodpressuretreatmentsite.com/‎

4.8  advertiser rating

Now its 118/77 in Just 30 Days!
    Try it for yourself. Risk Free.

5. High Bloodpressure Causes‎

ask.com/High+Bloodpressure+Causes‎

Over 100 Million Visitors.

Discover and Explore on Ask.com!

6. What is PAH?‎

www.treatment-of-pah.com/‎

Get information about treatment for

pulmonary arterial hypertension.

7. Normalize Blood Pressure

www.nulivlifestyle.com/‎

Stubborn High Blood Pressure?

Natural, Safe, Effective Supplement

8. "Herbal #1 BP Supplement"‎

www.amazon.com/HerbalBloodPressure

Herbal Blood Pressure Supplement,

$35.95, USA Made, Limited Stock!

post #8 of 94

When I think of the term "Google" somehow I think of fatness not fitness.  Don't know why.

Also, dudes... Wii fit.  They're stealing from 2 sources at once.

Needs a better more accurate name.  Suggestions:

Google Bodysnoop

Google Health Snitch ©

Google Health Data Mining (GHDM)

Google Involuntary Body Monitoring (GIBM)

Google Body Cookies ©

Google Health ALWAYS ON

Google Your Health is Now Our Business

Google Body Invasion

Google Health Stalker

Google Fat Monitoring

Big Google Brother

Google I Know What Your Heart Did Last Summer

Google Spleen Data Ownership Consortium

Etc

post #9 of 94

Fitbit might have a fit with that name.

post #10 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Yeah.  Rights.

I typed in High Blood Pressure into Google under Chrome
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=high+blood+pressure
Ads are clearly marked and separated from search results.

In Bing I get this. Ads are not clearly marked IMO and search results are less than helpful if doing research.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=high+blood+pressure&qs=AS&pq=high+blood+pressure&sc=8-19&sp=1&FORM=QBLH&cvid=fd9e187c54564318a6e7352bb0b9ae23

DuckDuckGo shows this. Minimal number of ads but similar to main search results on Google. Clean and nicely done IMO, but lacking the quick info box that Google offers with basic facts. In a search on a topic like this the quick facts box is helpful.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=high+blood+pressure
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/13/14 at 8:54am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #11 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Google Sucks

post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Just what I need: Ads for Jenny Craig after Google sniffs out my BMI in my "private" health files. HIPAA be damned!

If it were just Ads for Jenny Craig, you'd be so lucky. Instead, your insurance rates/quotes will go through the roof as Google sells your personal health data.

post #13 of 94

I will only be trusting one source for my health. My doctor. Not Apple, Not Google, Not Microsoft, Not wikipedia, Not WebMD, not some fancy 'wearable'. A trained living/breathing medical professional. 

El fin.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #14 of 94

Giving your health data to Google…what could go wrong?!?! LOL!

post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If it were just Ads for Jenny Craig, you'd be so lucky. Instead, your insurance rates/quotes will go through the roof as Google sells your personal health data.

Google doesn't sell personal data. I've no idea why you think they do.
post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google doesn't sell personal data. I've no idea why you think they do.

He meant to say 'steals'.

Forgive his slip.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #17 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

He meant to say 'steals'.

Such as. . .?

Rhetorical
post #18 of 94
Quote:

Google Spleen Data Ownership Consortium

:lol: 

How about?

Google Bowel Analytics

http://www.google.com/tisp/

Edited by mstone - 6/13/14 at 9:02am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 94
Because of the rampant malware on Android violating your content and Google's desire to copy Apple's HealthKit they are rumored to release a product called RapeKit¡

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #20 of 94
Quote:

Such as. . .?

Rhetorical

Is it true you took the username 'Gatorguy' because 'Crocofshit' was already taken?

1wink.gif

post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Is it true you took the username 'Gatorguy' because 'Crocofshit' was already taken?

1wink.gif

Now that's the GTR I expect. 1biggrin.gif
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Quote:

Google Sucks

Morlock?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #23 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

^This.^

No.

Way.

In.

Hell.

post #24 of 94
Quote:

Such as. . .?

Rhetorical
The 22 million dollar fine (largest in is history) and the 17 million dollar settlement for hacking Safari to track users even when they select do not track. The reason Apple is moving away from Google is they don't trust them as a partner or with their customers data.

Oh I missed the rhetorical part.
post #25 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The 22 million dollar fine (largest in is history) and the 17 million dollar settlement for hacking Safari to track users even when they select do not track. The reason Apple is moving away from Google is they don't trust them as a partner or with their customers data.

Oh I missed the rhetorical part.

FYI: The fine was not for "stealing" information from Safari users. Nor was it for (purposeful/accidental) bypassing of Do Not Track settings. Another FYI: There's no requirement for Do Not Track settings to be respected in any event. That's why it's commonly ignored.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/yahoo-is-the-latest-company-ignoring-web-users-requests-for-privacy/
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/13/14 at 9:37am
post #26 of 94
How about the Me2 ?
post #27 of 94
Quote:

FYI: That's not what the fine was for.
That's what I remember. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/19/google-pay-17-million-apple-tracking
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/aug/09/google-record-fine-ftc-safari

On a side note. I found it comical that typing in Google fine brought up everything but Google fines until I put in the e. Then it was still toward the bottom.
Edited by genovelle - 6/13/14 at 10:10am
post #28 of 94
Geez ... can you imagine the possibility of your life being in the at the mercy of Google's programming? 1hmm.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #29 of 94
Start your photocopiers because the trademark of 'xeroxing' cannot be used. When will we see some real competition for Apple in the guise of intelligent, needed, well thought products and services that are as easy to use as their own? the last time i tried to change a setting in Android, it took 15 minutes and then refused my attempt telling me to go to the app to make the change instead of the central settings area. The cheapie tablet was passed down to another chump who probably has done the same. Maybe if Google gets click throughs, we should get paid as well?
post #30 of 94
Quote:

FYI: The fine was not for "stealing" information from Safari users. Nor was it for (purposeful/accidental) bypassing of Do Not Track settings. Another FYI: There's no requirement for Do Not Track settings to be respected in any event. That's why it's commonly ignored.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/yahoo-is-the-latest-company-ignoring-web-users-requests-for-privacy/

Mmmmm.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/f-t-c-fines-google-22-5-million-for-safari-privacy-violations/

Quote:

The Federal Trade Commission fined Google $22.5 million on Thursday to settle charges that it had bypassed privacy settings in Apple’s Safari browser to be able to track users of the browser and show them advertisements, and violated an earlier privacy settlement with the agency.

The fine is the largest civil penalty ever levied by the commission, which has been cracking down on tech companies for privacy violations and is also investigating Google for antitrust violations.

Seems like 'privacy' is a dirty word around Google HQ; not the kind of people I'll be trusting with my health details.

post #31 of 94
As usual, Amazon will come up the rear with a cheaper 4th solution, free to Prime members, with some novelty feature, like fitness tracking with 3D voice search with Dr. Amy, your live health advisor.*

(*not actual doctor and not licensed to practice medicine in your state, see terms and conditions for more details)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Mmmmm.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/f-t-c-fines-google-22-5-million-for-safari-privacy-violations/

Seems like 'privacy' is a dirty word around Google HQ; not the kind of people I'll be trusting with my health details.

That was incorrect. Google's fine was for giving wrong instructions to Safari users on how to avoid tracking. It was not the tracking itself that was at issue. Heck that's done by thousands of companies even today. Setting your preference right now to "Do Not Track" won't prevent a couple dozen trackers from gleaning data from your use of AI's forums as you read this.

Here's the real explanation for the fine. Had Google not offered instructions on opting out of tracking there would not have been any fine whatsoever.The fine was because they placed a tracking cookie after inaccurately telling Safari users how they could avoid it Unfortunately it's not illegal to ignore Do Not Track and probably never will be.
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/08/google-will-pay-225-million-settle-ftc-charges-it-misrepresented
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/13/14 at 10:32am
post #33 of 94
As I recall from the presentation at WWDC, the iPhone Heath apps would capture your data & send it to your health care provider, who would then call you to warn of any dangerous conditions or schedule you for a visit. Does that info also or then go to your insurance carrier who says, 'holy crap, this person is suddenly a high risk for expensive surgeries & on-goining medical care...quick, raise his rates.'

In other news, the xxxx medical database was hacked & all id's & related medical records taken.
post #34 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

That's what I remember. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/19/google-pay-17-million-apple-tracking
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/aug/09/google-record-fine-ftc-safari

On a side note. I found it comical that typing in Google fine brought up everything but Google fines until I put in the e. Then it was still toward the bottom.
Here are a couple of interesting searches and what they suggest, but we know Google does no wrong[IMG]

Edited by genovelle - 6/13/14 at 10:24am
post #35 of 94
Okay, so privacy, business leads, data mining, etc., aside, and given that Windows will obviously have to jump into this at some point as well, what about that one, all important factor for the consumer that inevitably gets ignored?

Interoperability.

Will my Apple Healthkit data be visible to the clinic that decided to use either the Samsung, Google, or Windows version of a health app kit?

And when do Verizon, Comcast, and all the rest, get into the fray - come on, think about it - you're in your home, connected by all your devices of choice by...your ISP! Appliance makers? Your fridge could be making suggestions for your eating habits!

Just plug the chip in our spinal cords and call it a day already...
dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I will only be trusting one source for my health. My doctor. Not Apple, Not Google, Not Microsoft, Not wikipedia, Not WebMD, not some fancy 'wearable'. A trained living/breathing medical professional. 

I sympathize with this attitude, but you need to take it a step further. The person with the most interest in your well-being is yourself. Period, full-stop, end of story. It's always a good idea to include your health professionals in your decision-making processes, but they are human and make mistakes. They are also affected by various influences like money, status and institutional pressures around them every single day.

Consult with "living/breathing medical professionals", but remember the adage "trust but verify", and you will live a longer, healthier life. Do your own research, share with your physician(s), come to mutual decisions.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

*Sigh* Is this the marketing bullet-point for this year from companies that people will briefly play with and then ignore?

Yes. I even have some of the API code here for those interested:

// Apple HealthKit

BOOL AppleWillFailAtThis()

{

return YES;

}

// Google Fit

boolean andSoWillGoogle()

{

return true;

}

post #38 of 94
Medical tracking is coming whether wanted or not and I have no idea how anyone is going to avoid it.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/12/us-google-health-idUSKBN0EN2MG20140612

Heck it's not even anything new. How do you think your insurance company is aware of your some health-related issues you might have?
http://www.mib.com/
post #39 of 94
Apple will inform me my blood pressure is too high.

Google will inform me my blood pressure is too high, then proceed to recommend various elixirs and cure-alls by the recommended ad-sponsors, and every website I visit will have strategically inserted ads about said blood pressure.

This will be yet another quickie project for Google that will forever remain in beta. Just wait and see.

No thanks.
post #40 of 94
Quote:

Yes, Do no evil, indeed. Google could have at least try to be ethical.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google to launch Apple HealthKit competitor for Android at I/O conference - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to launch Apple HealthKit competitor for Android at I/O conference - report