or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos

Alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos

post #1 of 44
A pair of photos published to Twitter on Saturday show a side-by-side comparison of mockups believed to be representative of Apple's next-generation "iPhone 6" models, which are rumored to be coming in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes.

Source: Sonny Dickson via Twitter

The photos from Australian blogger Sonny Dickson show front and back views of two dummy handsets purportedly based on Apple's next-gen iPhone designs, possibly offering an early look into how the two variants stack up.

It should be noted that the dummy models were likely created for iPhone case manufacturers and may not portray the exact look of the final model. As such, the following breakdown is offered only for purposes of discussion.

As seen above, the larger 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" dummy model is essentially a upsized version of the 4.7-inch variations that have been floating around for months and carries over the iPad mini-esque design language of deeply rounded edges.

The introduction of rounded edges lends a softer appearance to the hardware and is a departure from Apple's current iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s handsets, which feature sharp angles and rounded corners. If the mockups are correct, Apple looks to be moving toward a more cohesive design language across its iOS device lineup, including the iPad Air and iPad mini.

A quick look at the aspect ratios of both screens reveals a near perfect match between the alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions. This would be in line with Apple's standard operating procedure of offering hardware that ensures easy upscaling for app developers.

Aside from the apparent screen size boost and usual camera, Touch ID and speaker positioning, not much else can be gleaned from the front view of the mockups.

On the back, the larger version appears to sport an updated rear camera flash design with only one circular opening for the LED module. Unlike the iPhone 5s, which introduced Apple's dual-LED TrueTone flash installed behind a pill-shaped cutout, the updated single hole design possibly suggests the company was able to integrate the technology into a smaller package.

Most recently, a number of images showing an alleged iPhone 6 rear casing have been making the rounds. The part purported back panel features a cut-out Apple logo that could potentially be filled with a radio-transparent insert for increased wireless reception. That particular design was first employed in the second-generation iPad mini.
post #2 of 44
Would have been nice to put the 5s in the image.
post #3 of 44
Still hoping they can achieve the bezels in the concept drawings
post #4 of 44

Looking closely, these pictures don't look like real upcoming iphone when you compare with the existing one for detail. If someone pays me money for my time than I can do better job to come up with more realistic, convening images of iphone 6. Some moron posts some web site, somewhere in Asia or Europe or whatever and we start trusting. Self fulfilling prophecy.

post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Still hoping they can achieve the bezels in the concept drawings

Yes these bezels are too thick. I don't want to see any side bezel. Here's hoping that it's one of the design differences between the speculative stuff and the actual phone.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Yes these bezels are too thick. I don't want to see any side bezel. Here's hoping that it's one of the design differences between the speculative stuff and the actual phone.

Well it's going to have some bezel... if only to stop the liquid crystal from leaking out...

post #7 of 44
i hope they really have 3 options to choose from as far as size goes. Cause im stickin' with the 4" model, would be nice to have tound edges on the 4" though.
post #8 of 44

I’m too cheap to go smart phone so I hope Apple comes out with a larger 5.5 iPod touch. I love my touch but it is pretty slim for reading and surfing, net not wet. 

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #9 of 44
Nice to see some bezels around the mockup. Too many iPhone 6 fantasies with no side bezel, as if Jony Ive was chasing a generic Korean Android phablet design. Something tells me the zero-bezel fans would salivate for negative-width bezels, if that were possible without violating the laws of physics.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I’m too cheap to go smart phone so I hope Apple comes out with a larger 5.5 iPod touch. I love my touch but it is pretty slim for reading and surfing, net not wet. 

how about the latest gen iPod touch?
post #11 of 44
Are we certain the one on the right isn't a 5S. The proximity sensor size relative to display width looks to be exactly the same as my iPhone 5 I've got sitting here in front of the computer screen while I look at this image. Could be its showing the 4.7" next to the 4" iPhone 5S.

Notice the width of the bezel (easiest to look at near the top right of each phone in the picture). It's wider on the one on the right than on the one on the left. It would make sense that Apple might reduce the bezel width on the new larger display iPhone 6. But it wouldn't make sense to reduce it only on one of the two larger sized phones and not the other. And the width of the bezel of the phone on the right, relative to everything else on the phone and compared to my iPhone 5, looks about the same. So I'm more strongly thinking that's a 5S on the right that the 4.7" is being compared against.

Can't speak to the second picture, of the backs of the phone. Unless Apple is intending to wrap the 5S in a new, potentially easier to mill, case.
Edited by RadarTheKat - 6/14/14 at 7:20pm
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #12 of 44
Yawn. Why am I supposed to get excited about a larger screen? What about the screen itself?

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #13 of 44
Yuck, that's a lot of bezel
post #14 of 44
Still not a fan of the "leaked" mockups floating around. I'm hoping this is just Apple purposefully leaking old designs or something so everyone will be surprised when the phone is finally revealed.

Personally speaking, I'd like something similar to the Ciccarese design.
post #15 of 44
Quote:

An iPad mini?
post #16 of 44
Does anybody have a list of all the analysts that have been predicting doom for Apple if they don't release a device with a bigger screen? I'm just curious as to how many of them will actually claim the devices are "too big" once they're finally released. /s

I do have female friends that have stuck with the 4S because they found the 5/5S to be too big for them to use comfortably with 1 hand. Personally I'm all for the larger screen but it would surprise me if they don't release a model the same size as the 5s. There are a lot of us who make a lot of noise about wanting a bigger phone, but there's no doubt that 10's of millions of people are happy with the 4" model and I just wonder what percentage of them actually PREFER it?
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Most recently, a number of images showing an alleged iPhone 6 rear casing have been making the rounds.

Could you please refrain from publishing unconfirmed rumors on Apple's products.

Your just wasting our time, looking at nothing of value.

Want to see my edited picture of a 6" iPhone6?  :lol: 

post #18 of 44
Quote:

I agree.

If the drawings were correct there will be no visible side bezel on the device and the top and bottom bezels will be significantly smaller than what is shown with these dummy units.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

how about the latest gen iPod touch?

See iPad Mini.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Well it's going to have some bezel... if only to stop the liquid crystal from leaking out...
some prefer a bezel, the idea of a bezel feeling in the hand closer to a current iPhone rather then any other jumbo phone is what I'm hoping because 5 inch is a rather too big device.

Quote:

Some believe iPod touch will only come in the 4.7 inch. If your really looking for a small tablet at about 5-6 inches don't expect apple there, your looking at an 8 inch IPad or 4-5 inch iPod.
post #21 of 44
The Android fans are busy projecting their Android fantasies onto Sir Ive's design again...

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 44
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos

No. Wrong. The mockup is not alleged. It’s a real mockup. The DEVICE is alleged. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest it even exists.

Alleged 5.5-inch ‘iPhone 6' gets mockup; compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos

is a better title.

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Some believe iPod touch will only come in the 5.5 inch.

I think you mean this.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #23 of 44
Someone made a mockup here of a 4.4" edge-to-edge display model with curved back:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arthur97reis/with/14025003454/

That's closest to what I'd like to see but they probably can't get away without splitting the case. The mockup shows how they can curve the back and maintain the chamfered edge like they do with the iPad:

I really like the last picture there as the curved design makes the iPhone 5/5S design look old. This size means the device isn't physically much bigger than before. This mockup also opts for the capacitive home button rather than physical. If there was just a way to avoid splitting the back. Cutting out the Apple logo is one way they can avoid the splits but it might not work for both wifi and cellular.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I really like the last picture there as the curved design makes the iPhone 5/5S design look old. 

I always keep my iPhone in the front jeans pocket, upside down, with the screen facing inwards. I always wear Levis 501 shrink-to-fit. The reason I mention the type of Levis is those are the most durable type they offer. I owned the original iPhone and then 2 years later the 3Gs, then the 4 and the 5. The original had a rounded back case as did the 3Gs. For four years I had the curved design phone in the front pocket with no visible wear to the jeans in that area, however after 4 years using the straight sided bezel design of the 4/5, there is significant wear on the jeans in the front pocket area due to the sharper edge of the design. I think the rounded design is both more comfortable to hold in the hand and also not as destructive to my jeans.

I love the design of the 4/5 design from a visual perspective. It looks like a piece of jewelry, but I think the rounded design is more practical.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 44
The image is fake, It's clearly a composite (two images combined) the hues are very different in the two phones (easy to see in HIS colorspace, and not something that happens if they are actually photographed together) also the highlights (specular) and shadows do not match.

Can't speak to the authenticity of the two objects, but whatever they are, they were not photographed together. And when someone fakes an image it makes me question the authenticity of everything they are saying.

Personally I think it is going to be pretty close to the current iPhone as that is nearly a perfect size. Easy to pocket and usable while carrying something (watching users in an airport attempting to work their "phoblets" while walking (with a carry-on or a handbag (purse) in this other hand) has provided me endless entertainment. Once, I even watched a guy lift a phoblet to his face and operate it with his nose (no joke).
post #26 of 44
Those fat ugly 'rubber bands' on the back panels of these mockups, where the glass inserts used to be, are still bugging the hell out of me! I still can't understand why Jony Ive would allow such a faux-pas. Its ruining the whole new design for me.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Those fat ugly 'rubber bands' on the back panels of these mockups, where the glass inserts used to be, are still bugging the hell out of me! I still can't understand why Jony Ive would allow such a faux-pas. Its ruining the whole new design for me.

We don't really know what that material is going to be. I believe once you hold it in your hand, that design element will probably look like an elegant detail. I have confidence that Apple will continue to amaze us.

post #28 of 44
Quote:

Yes, blame Jony Ive for the fantasy mockups.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 44

I'm going to judge the next iPhone when Phil Schiller shows it to me later this year.

These discussions are like arguing about what Martians look like before we went to the surface of Mars to see for ourselves.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 44
Quote:

They might be able to just make the split horizontal rather than in the loops shown and the people making the mockups will have to make these parts out of plastic. Apple could make the split material out of glass or sapphire, which means it wouldn't have the tint shown in the mockups, the glass would be transparent and show the metal through it so it blends together.
post #31 of 44
More importantly, will the new phone be iPhone 6 or go the way of the iPad and just become the "new iPhone"?

No one is gonna guess what the phone looks like, so might as well discuss the name
post #32 of 44
Remember when everyone bragged about how small their phone was?
post #33 of 44
Looks like a good photoshop. Again, no innovation. Hope it's not the real thing
post #34 of 44
Quote:

Is there any phone on the market without side bezel? Please get real. When did the concept become production design? Not even in automobile industry.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieTheDon View Post

i hope they really have 3 options to choose from as far as size goes. Cause im stickin' with the 4" model, would be nice to have tound edges on the 4" though.

There's an iPhone 5s for you...now.

post #36 of 44
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What’s wrong with wanting a modern phone small enough to be used?

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post

Remember when everyone bragged about how small their phone was?

People still do, but their opinions have been drowned out by a cacophony of Android phablet lovers.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 44
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
People still do, but their opinions have been drowned out by a cacophony of Android phablet lovers.

Whatever happened to "speak softly and carry a big stick"?

I guess that was replaced with "speak loudly and compensate for not having a big stick."

And it's always a minuscule minority that is the most vocal.

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I have a 5s right now. Smart guy. Just hope the 6 comes ina 4" size with all the new technology. Cause im definitely not getting a bigger phone. Thats why im with apple over android or anybody else.
post #40 of 44

Those renders looks very nice, i hope what's how the new iphone looks like.   1080p I hope too.

Check this review I found on the next iphone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpfhoi_uOM

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to 4.7-inch dummy in new photos