or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple partner Nuance exploring sale, reportedly in talks with Samsung
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple partner Nuance exploring sale, reportedly in talks with Samsung - Page 3

post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


IMHO they screwed other phone vendors more than they did Apple. I don't think Apple would have sold significantly more iPhones than they have seeing as they supposedly sell everything they can produce. As far as actual harm to Apple iPhone sales I don't know there was all that much. Motorola, HTC, LG. . . Yeah they were absolutely impacted on the sales front from Samsung "borrowing".

 

If there was no competing smartphone product, clearly Apple would produce more phones, and sell them. There is competition in this market, and Apple's limited inventory is due to good planning and sales forecasts (compared to the Nexus 4 rollout that underestimated demand).

post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

There's not really anyone who disparages Samsung while ignoring their present manufacturing necessity.

 

FWIW, I wasn't actually so much supporting the argument as presenting it as a possible interpretation of the reason for posting a photo showing Samsung parts in an Apple device. That said, I think it's probably true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Do you have any examples otherwise?

 

There are dozens of posts scattered throughout various threads from people who seem to either be unaware of Apple's present reliance on Samsung or have forgotten about it, but finding them would be such a daunting task that it's not worth the effort. I accept that you and others may disagree and respect your view. Mine is based more on "impression" than any specific comment(s), and it's not something I think matters all that much.

 

I could also be wrong. It's been known to happen from time to almost every time.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #83 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
 

You're ruining his straw man...

 

??? We must have different definitions of Straw Man...

 

I didn't change the premise then attack the new argument, I presented another possible interpretation. I wasn't even trying to be adversarial.

 

You may disagree with the suggestion I raised, but there was no Straw Man.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

 

 

 

BTW, FWIW I'm not "Pro-Samsung" or "anti-Apple." I just think hatred of Samsung and adoration of Apple are often rather zealously expressed here and make it hard to take either position very seriously.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #84 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post


Just pointing out the silliness of an electronics user saying that everything that says "Samsung" on it is evil.

I think you were reading too deeply into his comment. I think they were talking about any device that has the Samsung name on its outermost case, as in the finished product, not its components. As I said earlier, it's difficult to purchase any mobile device that doesn't use at least one Samsung electronic component.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #85 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
 

I think you were reading too deeply into his comment. I think they were talking about any device that has the Samsung name on its outermost case, as in the finished product, not its components. As I said earlier, it's difficult to purchase any mobile device that doesn't use at least one Samsung electronic component.

 

This highlights how silly this distinction is. It's like a vegetarian being ok with a hamburger wrapped with lettuce.

post #86 of 99
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
This highlights how silly this distinction is. It's like a vegetarian being ok with a hamburger wrapped with lettuce.

 

Cute, but not in the slightest. It's like a vegetarian being okay with a Quorn patty produced by the same company that produces meat.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #87 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
 

 

This highlights how silly this distinction is. It's like a vegetarian being ok with a hamburger wrapped with lettuce.

 

I don't see it that way. I (and most here) would have no problem with Samsung if they didn't clone the look and UX of the iPhone. They are an ingenious company with lots of great, original technology. The problem is they dropped their originality and became a mobile device cloning company when they saw the first iPhone.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I don't see it that way. I (and most here) would have no problem with Samsung if they didn't clone the look and UX of the iPhone. They are an ingenious company with lots of great, original technology. The problem is they dropped their originality and became a mobile device cloning company when they saw the first iPhone.

Exactly, Sammy wasn't always scummy. They crossed the line by copying/stealing and benefitting from the copying/theft.
post #89 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly, Sammy wasn't always scummy. They crossed the line by copying/stealing and benefitting from the copying/theft.

I think that they were always scummy. You're only noticing it now.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #90 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
 

 

I don't see it that way. I (and most here) would have no problem with Samsung if they didn't clone the look and UX of the iPhone. They are an ingenious company with lots of great, original technology. The problem is they dropped their originality and became a mobile device cloning company when they saw the first iPhone.

 

I don't see how the Samsung smartphones can be a clone of an iPhone and still be considered to suck as much ass as I hear around here. I hear how they're too big, the case sucks, the UI sucks, the screen, the battery, the camera, everything sucks. Is it a clone or not?

 

FWIW, I'm unlikely to buy a Samsung phone unless they offer a Play or (upcoming?) Silver version. I don't like the 3rd-party OS mods. I'll buy the hell right out of their HD monitors though.

post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
 

 

I don't see how the Samsung smartphones can be a clone of an iPhone and still be considered to suck as much ass as I hear around here. I hear how they're too big, the case sucks, the UI sucks, the screen, the battery, the camera, everything sucks. Is it a clone or not?

 

You hear right. It's a clone but a poorly built clone using low budget materials.

 

Perhaps I should've used the word copy rather than clone. It seems to me that you take things in more of a literal sense.

 

If you honestly haven't touched a Samsung smartphone, take a stroll down to your nearest AT&T store and compare their (Samsung & Apple) materials and build quality side-by-side. If you have any sense of quality, only then will you know what we rant about here.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #92 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
 

 

You hear right. It's a clone but a poorly built clone using low budget materials.

 

Perhaps I should've used the word copy rather than clone. It seems to me that you take things in more of a literal sense.

 

If you honestly haven't touched a Samsung smartphone, take a stroll down to your nearest AT&T store and compare their (Samsung & Apple) materials and build quality side-by-side. If you have any sense of quality, only then will you know what we rant about here.

 

Well, sarcasm doesn't always come through well, and if it doesn't come through, it can appear to be lunacy :)

 

I've held and used a Galaxy and a bunch of iPhones. The iPhone has the edge, but it's pretty minor. I like more screen real estate, so that's a trade-off, and it's subjective. A quality difference I can feel is the difference between my Canon Rebel and my 1D, but that's a $600 camera body vs. a $6000 body. When holding two different $600 phones, the differences are subtle.

 

Actually, most of the iPhones I've held feel pretty much like Otter Boxes to me. The Galaxy users I know don't use cases, and just about any phone feels better w/out a case. My Nexus feels like a case... :-/

post #93 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


When discussing the Apple of today, it's usually best to judge them on outcomes, rather than make predictions about their initial moves. Apple tends to surprise and show they were right (with profit and consumer satisfaction to prove it) when the dust settles.

We can safely reserve early predictions for tech has-beens like Microsoft, who have, over the past decade, demonstrated a remarkable ability to doggedly ignore the obvious.

This is absolutely true for consumers. For investors on the other hand a strong and clear future plan is essential. You want to invest in something with a future and capitalize on it when it all comes together. By the time it comes together (the dust settles) you are too late. So to wall street a clear goal is important. They will definitely ask (and from their point of view rightfully so): so you invested 3 billion in Beats, what are you going to do with it?

You could think, who cares about Wall Street? But when a company is publicly traded it certainly matters.

post #94 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post
 

For investors on the other hand a strong and clear future plan is essential.

 

I'm guessing you're not talking about the Mr. Roboto "investors" that make up 50%-70% of market trades.

post #95 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly, Sammy wasn't always scummy. They crossed the line by copying/stealing and benefitting from the copying/theft.

Turns out they've been scummy knockoff artists a lot longer than most of us thought.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #96 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


Well, sarcasm doesn't always come through well, and if it doesn't come through, it can appear to be lunacy 1smile.gif

I've held and used a Galaxy and a bunch of iPhones. The iPhone has the edge, but it's pretty minor. I like more screen real estate, so that's a trade-off, and it's subjective. A quality difference I can feel is the difference between my Canon Rebel and my 1D, but that's a $600 camera body vs. a $6000 body. When holding two different $600 phones, the differences are subtle.

Actually, most of the iPhones I've held feel pretty much like Otter Boxes to me. The Galaxy users I know don't use cases, and just about any phone feels better w/out a case. My Nexus feels like a case... :-/

If you don't notice much difference between a Samsung knock-off and the iPhone, then you don't have much sense of what quality is. That's fine. Happily, many of us do, which is why we choose the iPhone.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you don't notice much difference between a Samsung knock-off and the iPhone, then you don't have much sense of what quality is. That's fine. Happily, many of us do, which is why we choose the iPhone.

Lately I've been seeing more and more of my iPhone owning friends getting a Samsung because of the screen size, and oddly enough it's mostly women. I would love to see the looks on their faces if and when Apple releases a big screen iPhone.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #98 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


If you don't notice much difference between a Samsung knock-off and the iPhone, then you don't have much sense of what quality is. That's fine. Happily, many of us do, which is why we choose the iPhone.

 

I hope you folded your arms and did a sharp nod after you typed that, because that's how I heard it.

 

I've never used a Samsung knock-off, but I'll bet it's really low quality.

post #99 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I hope you folded your arms and did a sharp nod after you typed that, because that's how I heard it.

I've never used a Samsung knock-off, but I'll bet it's really low quality.

You forgot the "humpf" that goes with the head nod. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple partner Nuance exploring sale, reportedly in talks with Samsung