or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First OS X 10.10 Yosemite update offers very early look at 'dark mode'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First OS X 10.10 Yosemite update offers very early look at 'dark mode'

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
It was discovered on Tuesday that the second OS X 10.10 Yosemite beta contains code to activate an early version of "dark mode," which changes the translucent light gray menu graphics to a darker shade closer to black.



Some two weeks after Apple issued the first Yosemite beta at WWDC, developer Hamza Sood discovered that today's update contains code for dark mode, which can be activated through a simple Terminal command.

Developers can test out the new capability by entering the following code into Terminal, logging out and logging back in: sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark. To return to the default light gray graphics, change "Dark" to "Light" and perform a login cycle.



As seen above, dark mode is most definitely a work in progress as borders of icons shown in the menu bar are not correctly displayed.

Apple will introduce dark mode when Yosemite launches this fall as an alternative view for users who prefer not to be distracted by OS X's menu and dock. The new functionality may be most important for imaging professionals.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 37
Thank God! I've been dreaming of a subtle, clean, dark, OS interface ever since Copland debuted on Mac OS 8. A few more months wait can't hurt.
post #3 of 37
I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #4 of 37
You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?

 

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

 

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.
 
Because people would FREAK OUT, including people on these forums :) Change hurts!
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.

What is shown here looks about half baked. I wouldn't mind having a gray theme like the pro apps, but this isn't it. They should bail on the desktop background and just make it gray or a gradient. Having bright colors in the dark mode makes no sense to me. I already have gray as my background so I guess this wouldn't affect me.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
 

 

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

 

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!

 

 

Yeah, they'll freak out, but they'll get over it. I didn't say not make it an option to turn it back to white. I just said the dark should be the default.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #8 of 37
iOS 8 Dark Mode in progress???
post #9 of 37
Hmm...not working on my MacPro (trash can model). I just did the update via App Store. Guess I'll try to download the standalone updater. I can see my GlobalPreferences.plist was updated and has that the Dark string value set, but logging in/out just didn't make any difference. 1frown.gif

Really looking forward to the dark mode.
post #10 of 37
Dark mode will just be a cosmetic option. No big deal.
But does anyone remember the "natural scrolling" hysteria?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #11 of 37

Anyone else's Magic Trackpad not registering swipes and pinches with the second beta?

post #12 of 37

Dark theme feels like Microsoft.

post #13 of 37

Now I'm glad for this alternative Dark Mode pleases my eyes! still in WIP... till best enhancements in Final Release of OS X Yosemite.   

iMac 21.5" mid2010 | MBP 15" late 2011 | OS X 10.10 14A261i

Reply

iMac 21.5" mid2010 | MBP 15" late 2011 | OS X 10.10 14A261i

Reply
post #14 of 37
MacBooks with OLED displays?

A darker theme certainly will save battery life wiith an OLED display.
post #15 of 37

Is there any indication that this will be used on finder windows and other UI elements as well?

 

I like the dark menus and dock, but expanding it to the who experience would be a great option.

post #16 of 37

In a surprise appearance at the Cannes Lions festival, rapper Kanye West said a collaboration between fellow performer Jay Z and Samsung last year played into Apple's decision to introduce Dark Mode in iOS 10.10 for cultural credibility.

post #17 of 37
I wish Safari had a "dark background" feature allowing the user to darken white backgrounds on web pages. I hate it when I am up late at night with the brightness turned all the way down but still squinting in pain at the bright screen.

appleinsider.com is a good example (no offense guys).
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

In a surprise appearance at the Cannes Lions festival, rapper Kanye West said a collaboration between fellow performer Jay Z and Samsung last year played into Apple's decision to introduce Dark Mode in iOS 10.10 for cultural credibility.
Lame.
post #19 of 37

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

 

post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

[image]

Are you going to claim Apple stole this from themselves?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 37
Looks good so far! Here's hoping they extend this option to Safari web pages & iOS 8.
post #22 of 37

My eyes are very sensitive to bright lights, and normally I view the display in Inverse Colors. Then, if I need to see images correctly, I use a short-cut key to quickly switch back to normal display mode. So, I am interested in 'dark mode', but the question is…how many screen elements will have the 'dark mode' capability? Apparently the top menus and dock are included. Will the screen background, application sidebars, or other textual areas on applications go 'dark'? Will everything go 'dark' except for the images?

 

If you think about it, your TV is in 'dark mode', with normal images, and usually have white text on a small dark background on the TV image. Or the white text may be an overlay. What you usually don't see is black text on a white background on a TV (except for set-up menus).

 

How did black text on a white background become the computer display norm? The idea was to replicate a typewritten document in a GUI environment. Before the GUI, many monitors attached to a mainframe had light green text on a black background.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #23 of 37
Batman Mode™
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
 

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

 

How does that saying go.... the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Of course, that isn't valid here actually.

 

I love this screenshot. I want to buy some really old OS versions and get them running on virtual machine if I can. I joined the Apple eco-system too late - during the Snow Leopard days.

I do have a MacMini running Tiger, but I would love to get my hands on OS 9 and stuff before that...  

post #25 of 37

I really like this theme. If you use it with the Solid Aqua Graphite background colour the OS looks quite tasteful. But then you open a Finder window and look at the icons in the toolbar and it doesn't look quite so good.

 

I actually don't believe Jony Ive had any input in to this GUI. He must be head of the department at an executive level but doesn't have any day to day involvement in actual product design. Because Apple's hardware is *so* tasteful, but their GUIs just aren't. It seems unlikely the same person could have done both. They seem like a different aesthetic. 


Edited by ascii - 6/18/14 at 7:12am
post #26 of 37
To be done right it means apps will have to have an alternative dark interface. Native UI components like windows and dialogs can inherit from the system. Custom components will have to have 2 states and things like icons for menu bar items will have to have a light version to stand out agains the dark menu, unless apple can figure out a way to automagically create a mask for the icons. I'm sure there will be a whole slew of app updates with "now supports Yosemite dark mode." release notes.
post #27 of 37
still not a patch on kaleidoscope, though. 1smile.gif
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.

I'd like to have the mode change to dark at sunset and light at sunrise.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

I wish Safari had a "dark background" feature allowing the user to darken white backgrounds on web pages. I hate it when I am up late at night with the brightness turned all the way down but still squinting in pain at the bright screen.

appleinsider.com is a good example (no offense guys).

Go to bed earlier. Problem solved.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'd like to have the mode change to dark at sunset and light at sunrise.

1) I doubt I could do it but I bet that could be done with a simple script that was loaded when you log in assuming it won't require the user to log out and then back in as it currently is with the Terminal command.

2) I would think a better solution isn't the time of day but rather the amount of ambient light in the room.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

 
Oh, the memories of years gone by...


How does that saying go.... the more things change, the more they remain the same.
Of course, that isn't valid here actually.

I love this screenshot. I want to buy some really old OS versions and get them running on virtual machine if I can. I joined the Apple eco-system too late - during the Snow Leopard days.
I do have a MacMini running Tiger, but I would love to get my hands on OS 9 and stuff before that...  

A proportion of the population will always be masochists.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'd like to have the mode change to dark at sunset and light at sunrise.

1) I doubt I could do it but I bet that could be done with a simple script that was loaded when you log in assuming it won't require the user to log out and then back in as it currently is with the Terminal command.

2) I would think a better solution isn't the time of day but rather the amount of ambient light in the room.

I don't want a better solution; I want the mode to tell me when it's sunrise and sunset without having to do anything but look at the screen.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


I'd like to have the mode change to dark at sunset and light at sunrise.

f.lux (https://justgetflux.com/does something analogous with the display color temperature. I think what you propose would require a continuous spectrum of themes between light and dark to work well. Otherwise, a binary switch from dark to light could be quite jarring IMO.

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

f.lux (
https://justgetflux.com/does something analogous with the display color temperature. I think what you propose would require a continuous spectrum of themes between light and dark to work well. Otherwise, a binary switch from dark to light could be quite jarring IMO.

Looks good but I'm halfway done writing @Benjamin Frost a program that will shutdown his computer when the sunset and won't turn on again until daybreak.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

I really like this theme. If you use it with the Solid Aqua Graphite background colour the OS looks quite tasteful. But then you open a Finder window and look at the icons in the toolbar and it doesn't look quite so good.

 

I actually don't believe Jony Ive had any input in to this GUI. He must be head of the department at an executive level but doesn't have any day to day involvement in actual product design. Because Apple's hardware is *so* tasteful, but their GUIs just aren't. It seems unlikely the same person could have done both. They seem like a different aesthetic. 


I agree with ascii. This theme is nice but it is too dark. solid aqua graphite background color looks nice.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
 

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

 

 

This brought me some fond memories from the good ol' 680x0 days, that's for sure ;)

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Batman Mode™


Hahahaha ....yeahh funny  love it Batman Mode

iMac 21.5" mid2010 | MBP 15" late 2011 | OS X 10.10 14A261i

Reply

iMac 21.5" mid2010 | MBP 15" late 2011 | OS X 10.10 14A261i

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First OS X 10.10 Yosemite update offers very early look at 'dark mode'