or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3

Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3

post #1 of 72
A video posted to YouTube on Tuesday pits widely circulated 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" dummy models against the iPhone 5s and other popular handsets, showing Apple may be headed deep into phablet territory as the larger version is noticeably taller than even Samsung's Galaxy Note 3.

Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

As seen in the screenshot above, taken from TechSmartt's comparison video, both purported iPhone 6 mockups are noticeable larger than Apple's current-generation smartphone. The largest dummy unit, however, utterly eclipses the 5s and even overshadows the Note 3 and LG's G3, both of which are considered to be large devices.

While comparing both dummy units against existing hardware, the video keeps returning to the sheer size of the 5.5-inch iPhone mockup, saying at one point that the unit is likely too large for most people to comfortably use with one hand. Without a stylus like the Galaxy Note series, users could need two hands for text input and UI navigation.

For reference, the Note 3 is 151.2 mm tall, 79.2 mm wide and 8.3 mm thick (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 inches) and features a 5.7-inch display. The added height on the alleged iPhone 6 is thanks to a carryover in design from previous iPhone models. The extended bezel area to the top and bottom of the display -- carrying the ear speaker, proximity sensor and front facing camera, as well as Apple's Touch ID Home button -- have not been slimmed down on these dummy models.

The mockups on display are identical to those that have popped up in reports as recently as today and supposedly originate from case manufacturers using the models as reference designs.

This is not to say the dummies floating around over the past few weeks are legitimate examples of Apple's next-gen handset design, however. Third-party accessory makers are known to take risks on "leaked" devices in manufacturing products before official specifications are released. This is especially true for case makers competing in a crowded, yet lucrative, aftermarket industry.
post #2 of 72
I don't think the mockups are legit. Phablets are for people that love a big *screen* Shipping a phone that is larger in size despite having a smaller screen would be egg on the face for Apple and I think they'll either push it out if that is the situation they are in, or they have a very unexpected solution waiting in the wings and these mockups are just all wrong.

I had a Note 1 and really wanted to switch to the HTC One Max, but when compared to the Note 3 its physical size was just way too big.
post #3 of 72
So if priced higher than the alleged 4.7" the alleged 5.5" is likely to be a flop like the 5c "arguably" is? Sounds like Apple is onto a major winner.
post #4 of 72
Amen! Totally agree with this guy! NO INNOVATION IN THE DESIGN! If they finally keep these thick currents bezels, next iPhones will be awkwardly huge! Specially the 5.5 one!
post #5 of 72
Once launched, the new iPhones will be beautiful and sell more than any other phone in history.
post #6 of 72
There are no 5.5" parts floating around so far, so I am going to call bullshit on this mock-up monstrosity.

I am not saying we wont't see a 5.5 incher, but definitely not this design. No way no how. Apple design is not this lazy and are not blind as not to how the ridiculous the top and bottom bars are in creating a larger phone.

I honestly do not think we be seeing the 5.5 inch model this year, maybe early next year, and not looking nothing like this.
Edited by Ingela - 6/17/14 at 7:36pm
post #7 of 72
I'd like to see the home button moved to the back. Such as mid-upper center where it could comfortably be pressed with the index finger right or left handed and get rid of the huge bezels top and bottom while still retaining a physical home button.
post #8 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

Amen! Totally agree with this guy! NO INNOVATION IN THE DESIGN! If they finally keep these thick currents bezels, next iPhones will be awkwardly huge! Specially the 5.5 one!
And where exactly does Touch ID go if the bezels are shrunk, genius? When Apple release products that are thinner and lighter people say there's nothing innovative about it, it's just iterative, incremental updates. But now all of a sudden thinner bezels equals innovation? 1rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

There are no 5.5" parts floating around so far, so I am going to call bullshit on this mock-up monstrosity.

I am not saying we wont't see a 5.5 incher, but definitely not this design. No way no how. Apple design is not this lazy and are not blind as not to how the ridiculous the top and bottom bars are in creating a larger phone.

I honestly do not think we be seeing the 5.5 inch model this year, maybe early next year, and not looking nothing like this.
The home button isn't going away (hello Touch ID) and Apple will never create a device with asymmetrical bezels. I'm not convinced any of these mockups are real, but it's not because of the bezels.
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And where exactly does Touch ID go if the bezels are shrunk, genius? When Apple release products that are thinner and lighter people say there's nothing innovative about it, it's just iterative, incremental updates. But now all of a sudden thinner bezels equals innovation? 1rolleyes.gif
They can make it smaller, simple!
post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

It's no longer a stretch to fully expect Apple to expand the iPhone line to two "fully current models" in late 2014...

...just as they offer with iPads (Air and Mini), MBA's (11.6 and 13.3") (unless the rumored "12" retina" model consolidates the small notebook business to one model this year), rMBP's (13 & 15 - for - I'd say - another year at least), and iMacs (two will remain for sure IMO).

And if one phone is 4", the other assuredly will NOT be 5.5", nor do I see them offering three A8 models (yet), having stuck with one since 2007, despite years of pressure from other phone OS's (and many iOS fans)...

...and if anyone thinks Apple will quit selling a new 4" phone - when their current phone in that size is the best selling phone in the US - well, you have better suppliers of something (and it's not Sapphire screens, lolz) than I do....

Ergo, 4 and 4.7" (or possibly 4.9") seems the most likely.... ...and fits the best discussions of new res math I've read.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Previously, Apple fanatics were making fun of Samsung's "phablets". Now they are begging for this shit? Nice hypocrisy.
I hate phablets still and it makes me wonder if it's not people faking they like apple products with the 5.5 inch ideas.

Quote:

If a larger screen comes a slightly tinier nuzzle could come, I think it's even possible for them to move camera and sensors to bottom with home button and still allow home button.
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

They can make it smaller, simple!
Oh, and you're a hardware engineer and know what Apple can/can't do? How do you propose they make it smaller?
post #14 of 72
That kid is such a douche! Among other gems, I love how at the end he says, "let me know what you think, do you even like Apple?" If he actually wants people to take him seriously he needs to stop drinking the Apple hating cool aid.

I also see that the trolls haven't skipped a beat in posting their crap in the thread. It's so pathetic that these types feel compelled to try and trash Apple. Thankfully there're enough people that appreciate the quality and thoughtfulness that goes into Apple products that Apple can still be tremendously successful without being bothered by these silly trolls.

It's curious though if Apple does maintain the larger bezels on the 5.5" Although it wouldn't really change the functionality since all the phablets seem ridiculously big to me. I don't get it, but if I had to guess I'd say the main consumers are people who use it as their only mobile device, girls who keep it in their purses, or, of course ill-informed, apple-hating fanddroids.

post #15 of 72
Quote:

Oh, and you're a hardware engineer and know what Apple can/can't do? How do you propose they make it smaller?
Lol no i am not an engineer. They have already done it! (iPod Nano 7 button) :-)
And also, at last, improve their batteries!
post #16 of 72

It sure pays off to be someone who sits around all day making iPhone mockups.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 72
Quote:

It's not a question of innovation rather one of useability. I've always felt there was far too much bezel in the iPhone lineup, particularly above the display. The reason it's so big is to a sense of visual balance/symmetry between the chin and forehead. Also it probably allowed for a larger battery since that's where the loss would have most been felt if they had minimised the forehead.

The actual sensor used by touch ID is much smaller than the home button though so there is room to move. The benefits of having touch ID far outweigh the drawbacks or a slightly lower display-to-fascia size ratio though.

post #18 of 72
Quote:

Previously, Apple fanatics were making fun of Samsung's "phablets". Now they are begging for this shit? Nice hypocrisy.

Name one regular contributor to the forums who has previously "made fun of Samsung's phablets" and who is "now begging for this shit."

Include direct links to their before and after posts.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 72

why is it that the top and bottom bezels grow big when the screen size gets big?? i am thinking that this is just fake...

post #20 of 72
Quote:

I don't see anyone begging for larger devices, just cringing. There is a market for larger devices, but that's pretty much targeting fat-fingered Americans and elderly, not the people who will actually use it as a smart phone. Take a look at Japan and Korea, who wants to look like they are talking into a 1990's era sized cell phone. They like their tiny gadgets.

Apple's best bet really is to figure out which two sizes actually sell, and axe the others. That might mean keeping the iPhone 4S screen size as one model, and a larger model (akin to the Nintendo 3DS/3DSXL options) as a cheaper heavier model. Personally I'd prefer something that fits in the pocket. Ever try to stick a cell phone in the front or rear pockets of Jeans? Womens Jeans? It can't be any thicker/longer/wider than a pack of cigarettes/playing cards.
post #21 of 72

The 5.5" phone is the iPhone of Tallest's dreams.

C'mon, don't deny it... you want it...

Har!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post

why is it that the top and bottom bezels grow big when the screen size gets big?? i am thinking that this is just fake...

Do you know how Photoshop image resize works? ;)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Do you know how Photoshop image resize works? ;)

well.. they don't know how to do photoshop and does not have common sense.. hahaha

Edited by dbh - 6/17/14 at 10:48pm
post #24 of 72
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

... There is a market for larger devices, but that's pretty much targeting fat-fingered Americans and elderly, not the people who will actually use it as a smart phone. Take a look at Japan and Korea, who wants to look like they are talking into a 1990's era sized cell phone. They like their tiny gadgets. ...

Take a look at China and you'll see where most phablets end up.  They're an all-in-one compromise for people who can't afford a laptop plus iPhone (or clone) plus an iPad (or clone).  Phablets don't do so well in countries with high per-capita income.  For example, iPhone has taken 36.6% of the cell phone market in Japan.  Not just smartphones.  All cell phones.  With its 4" screen.

From Wikipedia's "phablet" article:

In September 2013 International Data Corporation (IDC) reported that its research indicated that phablet size smartphones "overtook shipments of both laptops and tablets in Asia in the second quarter of 2013.

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phablet

iPhone accounts for 36.6% of all mobile handsets in Japan (and Samsung is in 6th place with 5.7%):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-13/apple-boosts-japanese-market-share-after-ntt-docomo-sells-iphone.html

Edited by SockRolid - 6/17/14 at 9:33pm

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #25 of 72

Really like the 4.7" model and iOS8 updated features. Don't like the 5.5" model though. All I can see are bezels and bezels in an ocean of bezels.

post #26 of 72
If you cannot figure out the top and bottom bar, by now, please stop posing as a reviewer.
post #27 of 72
Quote:

wow this is the FIRST post?

nice irony.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Name one regular contributor to the forums who has previously "made fun of Samsung's phablets" and who is "now begging for this shit."

Include direct links to their before and after posts.

You asked, you shall receive:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/04/samsung-shows-off-galaxy-note-3-phablet-new-note-101-tablet-galaxy-gear-smart-watch

Read the comments making fun of Samsung's Phablet.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/17/big-screen-iphone-6-predicted-to-drive-massive-upgrades-draw-switchers-from-android-to-apple

Read the comments in which they praise Apple for bringing out a larger screen iPhone.

Those are just two examples.  You can use Google yourself and find more if you really want to.

post #29 of 72
Quote:

Apple will cut off people's thumbs and make them smaller to use with the smaller button.  It will be called the MagSafe Thumb Attachment and be priced at $19.99 for the right thumb, but $29.99 for lefties.

post #30 of 72

I keep seeing these Android toys around. I didn't know there was one for KitKat as well. Anyway, I wonder if someone would make a nice shiny Apple logo paperweight or something. It will be nice...

post #31 of 72
I love these "new product sitings". I was starting to get really bored with UFO and Loch Ness Monster sitings.
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I don't see anyone begging for larger devices, just cringing. There is a market for larger devices, but that's pretty much targeting fat-fingered Americans and elderly, not the people who will actually use it as a smart phone. Take a look at Japan and Korea, who wants to look like they are talking into a 1990's era sized cell phone. They like their tiny gadgets.

I realize this is just an opinion but you should already know that phablets are now a fairly large portion of the mobile market (including Korea and Japan) that doesn't just include fat Americans and the elderly, (not even sure where you grabbed that completely false information from) and will double in size by the years end. Their even starting to cut into the tablet market as people are realizing that these phablets are adequate enough to do the tasks of both a tablet and a phone. Regardless of your feelings and completely false information these large phones are here to stay, especially in Asia where it is more then obvious that they also enjoy large phones and not just the small ones as you suggested. In fact almost half of the phones sold in Korea are Phablets.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #33 of 72
Quote:

You asked, you shall receive:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/04/samsung-shows-off-galaxy-note-3-phablet-new-note-101-tablet-galaxy-gear-smart-watch

Read the comments making fun of Samsung's Phablet.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/17/big-screen-iphone-6-predicted-to-drive-massive-upgrades-draw-switchers-from-android-to-apple

Read the comments in which they praise Apple for bringing out a larger screen iPhone.

Those are just two examples.  You can use Google yourself and find more if you really want to.

1. I asked you to name one regular contributor. You did not.
2. I asked for specific examples, you sent a link to an entire thread. Do you not know how to link to specific posts?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 72

I would not be surprised if the entire iPod like iPhone leak is one of the greatest hoaxes ever successfully pulled off by Apple and instead they release the iPhone 6 that is nothing whatsoever like the leaks, and has a radical new design like wall to wall curved sapphire.

post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch76 View Post

I'd like to see the home button moved to the back. Such as mid-upper center where it could comfortably be pressed with the index finger right or left handed and get rid of the huge bezels top and bottom while still retaining a physical home button.

Sounds absolutely horrendous in terms of usability, intuitiveness, and not to mention Touch ID, where you'd have to inexplicably contort and twist your finger blindly in order to unlock. Sounds absolutely genius. I'm glad Apple things these things through more than you, and other such armchair analysts giving such ridiculous product advice. 

post #36 of 72
If the 5.5" would fit into an inside suit jacket pocket while keeping its weight down, then it could have a place in areas of enterprise. My eye sight sucks, but I think I'd still enjoy a 4" or a bit larger iPhone as a companion to my iPad Air. I really don't care whether Apple produces a bigger iPhone this time around, I will select from what is offered and enjoy the new feature set iOS8 will bring.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 72

Well Jimmy Lin has gotten one. Looks like a 5.5" to me. So far his track record is all Apple leaks are correct.

So as much as i hate to admit it..........maybe 5.5" really is coming.

Not to mention Sonny Dickson has similar photos as well.

post #38 of 72
In profile it looks like there's been some major internal innovations. These things are super slim! New batteries? Reduced power use? I'd like to see a totally different face though.
post #39 of 72

The new iPad mini mini?

post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without a stylus like the Galaxy Note series, users could need two hands for text input and UI navigation.

Because you only use one hand with a stylus ??

Anyway, I hope this big iPhone isn't real. If it is I don't ever want to see that monster.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3