or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3

Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 - Page 2

post #41 of 79
You know, if they were to make these phones with the same hardware and software ( 4'7 & 5'5) and same camera pixilization I can really see these phones taking off. 1 phone who like the one handed and pocket friendly easy to put anywhere and, 2 a phone for people who like big screens. Just keep the same specs. The bigger phone don't make a mass load all at first. Gotta see how the world wide audence embraces the 5'5 first.
post #42 of 79
Just wait and see people...
post #43 of 79
The idiots are at it again. Bezels!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you realize how slim and sleek it will look compared to an iPad mini?!
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Well Jimmy Lin has gotten one. Looks like a 5.5" to me. So far his track record is all Apple leaks are correct.

He's got a 5.5 mockup? The mockups aren't produced by Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 79

First the guy in the video is an idiot, He makes a statement he like when technology gets thinner and bigger, really? he like both extremes at the same time.

I am beginning to think that Apple is changing its strategy. We all are seeing too many of this leaked stuff, there is no reason to have these mock-up out in the wild since Apple never cared if phone covers were readily available when they launched a product. Why all of a sudden create all these mock-ups and distribute them widely.

They either do not care about the hardware design leaking out or they doing this on purpose  to hold people who may jump ship to Samsung from making that decision. I have seen on other discussion boards not related to apple talking about the iphone 6 and they are now going to wait, before that they were considering something else. I also heard other say they are doing to hold off on their upgrades of their samsung products to see what the iphone 6 has to offer.

post #46 of 79
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon, don't deny it... you want it...

I can’t wait for it to… not come out, again proving wrong the people that say the same thing every year.

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So as much as i hate to admit it..........maybe 5.5" really is coming.

The device for which we’ve seen absolutely nothing whatsoever, you mean? Contrasting the one for which all leaks (and “leaks”) have shown.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am beginning to think that Apple is changing its strategy. We all are seeing too many of this leaked stuff, there is no reason to have these mock-up out in the wild since Apple never cared if phone covers were readily available when they launched a product. Why all of a sudden create all these mock-ups and distribute them widely.

They either do not care about the hardware design leaking out or they doing this on purpose  to hold people who may jump ship to Samsung from making that decision. I have seen on other discussion boards not related to apple talking about the iphone 6 and they are now going to wait, before that they were considering something else. I also heard other say they are doing to hold off on their upgrades of their samsung products to see what the iphone 6 has to offer.

I don't think Apple is handing out these mockups. I don't think Apple is producing them. I can't say where the mockups came from, but the story reported by rumor sites is that it's based on "leaked specs" or schematics. The mock ups appear pretty consistent with each other and those so-called leaked specs that I've seen, so this is plausible.

I'm not sure who is making the mockups, but my hypothesis is that whoever is making them (there may be multiple parties producing them) is selling them to interested parties, and more often than not, rumor sites are getting their hands on them, because that is a source of demand for mockups. The other source might be the dozens of case makers eager to get a jump on iPhone 6 cases. My hypothesis is that is what is driving all the mockups you see. Once the alleged specs leaked out, the mockup makers go to work, and rumor sites report the results. It's like a cottage industry.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 79

Is there any information about the measurements of the bezel on these 2 mockups? It is hard to gauge from just the photo but I am curious what the measurement is from the edge of the screen to the bottom and also on top. How many cm is the 5s for comparison? Is the bezel area for the iPhone 5 the same as the 4s since that might give a hint.   If it remains the same distance as the 5s then the bezel will actually appear smaller with much larger displays than a 4" screen. The bottom is hard to shrink due to the home button and TouchID, but the top bezel area could easily be reduced if Apple wanted to save space by moving things around. Personally I had hoped for just a new 4.9 or 5" iPhone but 4.7" is close enough that I am excited. I would have to hold the 5.5" in person  before I decide but the fact that it is larger than a Note 3 which is already about the limit for a phone gives me some pause especially when the actual display is a bit smaller. If this turns out to be true I think Apple would get a lot of flack about that. 

post #49 of 79

Here is another video about the next (most likely) iphone 6 (4.7):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpfhoi_uOM

post #50 of 79

These pictures give a good comparison of the size.

post #51 of 79

For those who say Apple will not make an asymmetrical device, where is the logic for that coming from? Good design does not necessarily mean symmetrical design. In my eyes, the original iPhone is one of the most beautiful designs.

post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

For those who say Apple will not make an asymmetrical device, where is the logic for that coming from? Good design does not necessarily mean symmetrical design. In my eyes, the original iPhone is one of the most beautiful designs.

I agree and have no idea why some people think Apple would not reduce the top bezel based on symmetry alone. When you look at the pictures I posted just above it is really hard to think the iPhone just doesn't look as nice as those other phones from the front.  That bezel area at the top could easily be made much slimmer by moving things around. Apple can't really do much about the bottom bezel due to the home button, but silly to think they could not shrink the top due to some allegiance to exact symmetry with bezels. If these mockups turn out to be accurate I would bet is because they need the extra space for components or a larger battery and not because of symmetry. 

post #53 of 79
What bothers me with the prospect of a larger iPhone is: where am I going to keep it?

All my coats and jackets have phone pockets that I can just about squeeze my iPhone 5 into. Is this just me, or have they started making bigger phone pockets?

I really hope a bigger phone is an option, like the iPhone 5c.
post #54 of 79
I cannot imagine why this commentator would so belabor the point about the size of the larger iPhone 6. It's a phablet, and the market for these things has already been proven to be large. It'll be for the minority of people who seriously want or need a phone that size and who would BUY AN ANDROID MODEL if Apple doesn't offer this. Apple will, in fact, sell millions and millions of these larger iPhones, and a significant percentage of those sales would be LOST if not for the decision to offer this model. I, for one, applaud Apple loudly for this very cogent decision. I probably will be a purchaser, but if I do opt for the larger one, I would never make a video about how stupid Apple is for offering the smaller one.
post #55 of 79
Quote:

There are no 5.5" parts floating around so far, so I am going to call bullshit on this mock-up monstrosity.

I am not saying we wont't see a 5.5 incher, but definitely not this design. No way no how. Apple design is not this lazy and are not blind as not to how the ridiculous the top and bottom bars are in creating a larger phone.

I honestly do not think we be seeing the 5.5 inch model this year, maybe early next year, and not looking nothing like this.

Can't dispute your predictions strongly because it's mostly speculation.  But we have a verifiable report that the Sapphire glass plant in AZ has been found to have the capacity to produce all the glass Apple needs for both models this year, and we have another report (don't know how verifiable it is) that Apple solved the problem with the larger battery a month ago.  The market is there; putting off the introduction of the larger iPhone will just drive many people to buy a Samsung rather than wait.  So, I'll go out on a limb and predict that we see the 5.5" iPhone introduced at the same time as the 4.7" one or within a month. 

post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I would not be surprised if the entire iPod like iPhone leak is one of the greatest hoaxes ever successfully pulled off by Apple and instead they release the iPhone 6 that is nothing whatsoever like the leaks, and has a radical new design like wall to wall curved sapphire.

Oh, AnalogJack, didn't we tell you to stay away from the wacky weed?  But I am having fun imaging the wall-to-wall curved glass.  Psychedelic.

post #57 of 79

post #58 of 79

the vid host lost all credibility with this:

Quote:
"the iPhone 5c which could be consider a flop"

...uh, nope. the US carriers are reporting it as their 2nd or 3rd best selling handset, right behind the 5s. its selling better than the second-tier before it in years past.

not a flop. these pundits/bloggers/analysts simply refuse to accept it.

post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

And also, at last, improve their batteries!

ever wonder why nobody has exceptional batteries? hint: physics. we're using century-old battery concepts. this stuff isnt magic, and it isnt a matter of miniaturization or increased processor frequency (which is also petering out).

post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

First the guy in the video is an idiot, He makes a statement he like when technology gets thinner and bigger, really? he like both extremes at the same time.

1) bigger screen and thinner body are two different things, and yes, can both be desired at the same time.

2) apple is not making nor leaking these mockups. as quoted in the video -- the case makers are making these mockups, based on what they believe are authentic leaked blueprints. 

post #61 of 79

Those leaks are from what the case/accessories manufacturers get before the phone gets released, so when the phone get released you can buy them.

This guy explain that when showing and comparing the next (most likely) iphone with other phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpfhoi_uOM

post #62 of 79
Quote:
He's got a 5.5 mockup? The mockups aren't produced by Apple. 

Yes I know. That is like ALL mockup aren't made by Apple either. That is why i said his track record for leaks, which has been 100% so far with iPad Mini, iPad Air and the 5. 

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch76 View Post

I'd like to see the home button moved to the back. Such as mid-upper center where it could comfortably be pressed with the index finger right or left handed and get rid of the huge bezels top and bottom while still retaining a physical home button.

And which you'd accidentally press whilst holding the iPhone.

No.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And which you'd accidentally press whilst holding the iPhone.

No.

I don't see Apple ever moving the home button but I don't think they are necessarily tied to a circular design at the current size. They could possibly shave a few millimeters by giving it or more oblong shape. Aside from just being ugly, those really large bezel areas in the mockup will make the iPhone a lot taller than any other 4.7" phone and taller even than the 5.2" LG G2. Perhaps that is intentional since that might allow more interior space for components. The top bezel is a much simpler matter to fix by just moving the camera. I don't think Apple is quite as concerned about symmetry as many people here believe so I think the current hom button will stay unchanged and any space savings will come from the large forehead. 

post #65 of 79

Buttons on the back is not a bad idea at all, look at the LG G3!

That way, they can keep the screen size at maximum while keeping the device size as smaller as possible.

post #66 of 79
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

giving it or more oblong shape. Aside from just being ugly

You’re right about that.

Perhaps that is intentional since that might allow more interior space for components.

Or, you know, to actually be able to use and hold the device.

post #67 of 79

I would be in for this.

Especially if the size is in the same ballpark as the G3 and S5, which replaced my iPhone 5S two months ago.

post #68 of 79
Quote:

Was thinking about the Mac too. Its chin is very important.

post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:

Was thinking about the Mac too. Its chin is very important.

China is very important to Apple, too.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can’t wait for it to… not come out, again proving wrong the people that say the same thing every year.

The device for which we’ve seen absolutely nothing whatsoever, you mean? Contrasting the one for which all leaks (and “leaks”) have shown.

Yesterday Sonny Dickson shared a couple of 5.5" iPhone display pics, which you already took note of. The evidence for a phablet iPhone is certainly beginning to firm up.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yesterday Sonny Dickson shared a couple of 5.5" iPhone display pics, which you already took note of. The evidence for a phablet iPhone is certainly beginning to firm up.

Many of us are certainly hoping so.

But we've been down this road before...

"Apple will never do a plastic iPhone. The 5C rumors can't possibly be true"

"Apple will never do an iPad Mini. Steve Jobs said what the ideal size was."

"Apple will never do a larger screen iPhone. 3.5" is perfect"

"iOS is never going to have a file system or custom keyboards. It doesn't need it"

...etc...etc...

Edited by Technarchy - 6/22/14 at 1:56pm
post #72 of 79
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not really.

post #73 of 79
I personally wanted a 6 inch phone....Wish the iPhone 6 would be 5.7 inches....

Don't forget, many middle age people need larger screens to see.
Zooming does not cut it and requires 2 hands to zoom anyway...so, a larger screen is better !

In addition, I never type with one hand, so that argument does not hold water either.

I wish I was young again...then I may want a smaller phone...But, finally Apple is addressing baby boomers needs :-)
post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by expertmagician View Post

I personally wanted a 6 inch phone....Wish the iPhone 6 would be 5.7 inches....

Don't forget, many middle age people need larger screens to see.
Zooming does not cut it and requires 2 hands to zoom anyway...so, a larger screen is better !

In addition, I never type with one hand, so that argument does not hold water either.

I wish I was young again...then I may want a smaller phone...But, finally Apple is addressing baby boomers needs :-)

I don't mind large phones but that's really pushing it, have you seen a Nokia 1520 or Sony Z1 Ultra, both are 6" and are freakishly humongous.Though I can see the appeal if paired with a smartwatch and you really wanted to combine both a tablet and phone.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #75 of 79
Quote:

Not really.

I bet you will still deny it's existence when it's released. :D

post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Not really.
I bet you will still deny it's existence when it's released. 1biggrin.gif

Denial? What denial?
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #77 of 79
I bet you will still deny it's existence when it's released. :D

My signature might have something to say about that… :p

But no, I just deny his knowledge of it in any form.

post #78 of 79
Quote:

Denial? What denial?

I was just teasing because of the conversation Tallest was having.

post #79 of 79
Quote:

Quote:

Denial? What denial?

I was just teasing because of the conversation Tallest was having.

I know. I was making a play on words. 😃

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3