or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price

Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price

post #1 of 166
Apple on Wednesday formally launched its anticipated new low-end 21.5-inch iMac with a lower entry price of $1,099, boasting a 1.4-gigahertz dual-core Intel Core i5 CPU, a 500-gigabyte hard drive, and 8 gigabytes of RAM.

The new machine comes in a full $200 cheaper than the 21.5-inch 2.7-gigahertz model, which served as the previous low-end model. That faster model, along with Apple's other all-in-one desktop configurations, remains unchanged.

For $200 savings, users will downgrade from a faster quad-core chip to a dual-core CPU. RAM stays the same, but hard drive space is cut in half from 1-terabyte on the $1,299 model. Graphics are also downgraded from Intel's Iris Pro integrated solution to Intel HD Graphics 5000.

The new model can be upgraded with a 1-terabyte Serial ATA drive for an additional $50, a 1-terabyte Fusion Drive for $250, or a 256-gigabyte flash drive for $250. The 1.4-gigahertz processor and the 8 gigabytes of RAM cannot be upgraded.

Despite the new lower pricing, authorized Apple resellers are already offering a much better deal on the the more well equipped 2.7-gigahertz Core i5 model, boasting a 1-terabyte hard drive and dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 640M graphics. As can be seen in the AppleInsider Price Guides, that configuration can be purchased for just $999 after a $70 mail-in-rebate (PDF) through MacMall, making it a much more powerful computer at $100 less, and tax-free in 41 states.

Apple issued a press release Wednesday morning touting the machine as "the perfect entry-level Mac desktop." Sporting the same thin design as all other current iMacs, it features 802.11ac Wi-Fi, two Thunderbolt ports, and four USB 3.0 ports. It also comes with iLife -- featuring GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie -- as well as the iWork suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

The new 21.5-inch iMac also comes with OS X Mavericks, and can be upgraded for free later this year to OS X Yosemite. In addition to being available through Apple's online store, it will also be available at Apple retail stores and authorized resellers.

The last time Apple offered a $1,099 iMac was in early 2013, but that model was only available for sale to educational institutions. Apple hit that price point with a dual-core 3.3-gigahertz Intel Core i3 processor and Intel HD Graphics 4000.
post #2 of 166
With those specs and that price point who is this geared towards? 1confused.gif
post #3 of 166
$200 savings is $200 savings. Especially you don't need the power- like a simple workstation at an office. When our 2007 craps out in our Hawaii lab- I'll be getting this one. Only checks mail, numbers, and FileMaker. The power supply will die before the specs are obsolete for that use.

Rogi- that 2007 runs circles around our 2013 $500 Dell workstations (no monitor) regarding opening FileMaker, opening mail vs dell opening outlook, and opening numbers vs dell opening excel. Only reason our IT guy buys dell is I have to run sharp desk for printing our reports. Of course, I don't write reports so I have an imac 1wink.gif
Edited by Andysol - 6/18/14 at 5:29am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 166
Intel HD 5000 graphics for a 21 inch screen! Ouch! Your not going to even be able to play angry birds on that.
post #5 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anybody in business.  Most desktop computers are overpowered for the tasks they tend to run (Office, CS application, and inventory tracking/management) and this would be ideal.  I could probably get something like this approved as a desktop replacement than the more expensive older entry level model because when you add up the numbers I can get more workstations for the same amount of money.

post #6 of 166
Awful. Horrific specs. Should be $999 at most.
post #7 of 166

Other iMacs appear unchanged. Disappointing, as I was looking for any excuse to upgrade from my 2006 model.

post #8 of 166
Where is the high end 27 inch ? I expected Apple to release those ones as well 1frown.gif.
post #9 of 166
I am at lost the reason behind this product.
post #10 of 166
Hmm...this seems to me like a bean counter move. Maybe the specs are fine for certain situations but it does seem overpriced. I'm not sure why Apple didn't go for $999. Or just do a price cut on the existing models.
post #11 of 166
I suppose for simple people like my dad this is perfect. But, he just purchased the $599 Mac mini last week and I bought him a 23" ISP LED Display so he's probably better off. I also put an SSD in it for him along side the 500 GB HD that came in it.

I can see where this would be good for simple people to do simple things. Things are never cheap enough, however I think this should be $999 at those specs. Breaking that sub-$1000 is important for people.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #12 of 166

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

post #13 of 166
Please note that there are NO memory upgrade options for this new iMac.
8GB is all you get, though many tech sites have reported that 8GB is the sweet spot for most general purpose tasks, practically eliminating the spinning beach ball.

Decent specs for a general purpose office machine not requiring high-end video or photo editing, or for kids in a school lab, or for the mom and pop shop for inventory control, or for beauty salon cash register, or for Windows XP switchers, or for a host of other low end, practical uses.
post #14 of 166
Quote:

Spec chaser?

Educators, budget conscious families, students. Anyone price sensitive with light computational loads. It's a fine system that will meet lots of people's needs. I still have an older Core2 Mac running far less RAM, and OS X runs fine, apps run fine. Safari, Chrome, Xcode, Pages, even iMovie. Oh, but please look down on my old Mac dismissively because its not up to current specs. Just don't tell me it is no good.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 166

1.4GHz? Wow that is quite a bit lower than the iMac has been for a while. I wonder what the thinking is on this? Maybe the cooling is designed so that it will stay in Turbo Boost (2.7GHz) most of the time.

post #16 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Spec chaser?

Educators, budget conscious families, students. Anyone price sensitive with light computational loads. It's a fine system that will meet lots of people's needs. I still have an older Core2 Mac running far less RAM, and OS X runs fine, apps run fine. Safari, Chrome, Xcode, Pages, even iMovie. Oh, but please look down on my old Mac dismissively because its not up to current specs. Just don't tell me it is no good.
I said those specs AND that price point. Specs might be fine for a lot of people but the price seems a bit of a ripoff. I'm struggling to see how Apple couldn't have achieved a $999 price point.
post #17 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

Heat and noise, I would expect.

This reduces entry from £1049 to £899 in the UK. That's a big psychological barrier broken, in my opinion.

post #18 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner1954 View Post

Please note that there are NO memory upgrade options for this new iMac.
8GB is all you get, though many tech sites have reported that 8GB is the sweet spot for most general purpose tasks, practically eliminating the spinning beach ball.

Decent specs for a general purpose office machine not requiring high-end video or photo editing, or for kids in a school lab, or for the mom and pop shop for inventory control, or for beauty salon cash register, or for Windows XP switchers, or for a host of other low end, practical uses.
Yes it's great for all of that...but unfortunately $100-$200 overpriced.
post #19 of 166
Quote:

m struggling to see how Apple couldn't have achieved a $999 price point.

Greed.
post #20 of 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yes it's great for all of that...but unfortunately $100-$200 overpriced.

Just like all of their Mac product line...  I don't understand why Apple consumer desktop hardware is so overpriced and under-powered.  Their mobile device hardware is price competitive... I never understood this...

post #21 of 166
still too expensive imo, especially considering they lower the specs. IF they would drop then entire line by $100 it would look much better: 21.5" - $999, $1199, $1399.

On the canadian apple site, the 1TB fusion drive upgrade or 256 SSD upgrades are $275. The 500mb to 1TB upgrade is $50. I have the fusion drive on my 27" imac and its worth it, I would never go back to regular drives.
Edited by herbapou - 6/18/14 at 6:25am
post #22 of 166
Quote:

Greed.
Shame that Tim the bean counter shows up every once in a while. This would have been perfect at $899 or $999.
post #23 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

I am at lost the reason behind this product.

Some people might just want something to control itunes, browse the web and sync their iDevice to. It comes with everything you need for a basic machine. For those things, it's not half bad. It's not good either.

post #24 of 166

Realize that Apple isn't getting rid of the other configurations, they're just adding a low end version. There typically has been an educational version and this one seems to be it. In a lot of ways, this model is simply a MBA with a 21.5" screen (except for HDD) so for those people who are complaining about a Core2Duo i5, look at the specs for the MBA (1.4GHz, Dual Core i5). If the MBA is adequate for many people then so will this iMac.

I was hoping for a refresh of the entire iMac line before replacing my 2009 iMac so I will either wait and see or dive into a Mac Pro.

post #25 of 166
Quote:

I said those specs AND that price point. Specs might be fine for a lot of people but the price seems a bit of a ripoff. I'm struggling to see how Apple couldn't have achieved a $999 price point.

That's because you're spec shopping. BYOPC if specs per dollar matter.

Your "struggling" btw is just more needless handwringing over Apple's product line. That's very kind of you to "struggle" over this. Apple appreciates your "concern." 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 166

I think the 1.4GHz figure might be a bit misleading - look at the Turbo Boost 2.7GHz. That is way more than most Intel CPUs boost by.

post #27 of 166
The trolls have overrun this thread already. 1frown.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 166
I'm assuming this isn't what Eddy meant when he said best products he's seen in 25 years. 1embarassed.gif
post #29 of 166
Quote:

That's because you're spec shopping. BYOPC if specs per dollar matter.

Your "struggling" btw is just more needless handwringing over Apple's product line. That's very kind of you to "struggle" over this. Apple appreciates your "concern." 1wink.gif
Ok you tell me, do you think this is priced right? Because I'm not seeing many people outside of this site who think this is a good deal. I think Apple probably could have hit the $999 price point if they wanted to. But hey for only $200 more you can get a computer with double the performance so maybe this is Apple's way of up selling you. 1smile.gif

This update, along with the 8GB 5C and the relaunch of the iPhone 4 in India (which didn't last very long) are head scratchers. They just wreak of Tim the bean counter, not Tim we don't ship junk.
Edited by Rogifan - 6/18/14 at 6:11am
post #30 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I haven't checked the store, perhaps SSD is an option ...

IMHO Apple should be using SSDs now in everything. The performance difference a user would 'feel' on even this low end machine would be astronomical compared to a 5400 rpm HDD, the price of SSD is 50% of what it was a year or so ago now too. A 250 GIG SSD would be better than a 500 GIG HDD especially at this end of the market and with iCloud removing the need for much internal storage (e.g. iTunes Match and new iCloud folder in Yosemite).
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #31 of 166

I wonder how many more of Kuo's predictions will come true? If he is right there's nothing for 2 months now, then an iPad update.

post #32 of 166
Ah, nice to see that we're back to whining about Apple products on AI..... Wow, you guys/gals are out in force!1biggrin.gif
post #33 of 166
The article is not correct when it states that you can purchase from MacMall tax-free in 41 states. They might not collect the sales tax because they don't have a physical presence in those states, but sales tax is still due. Th individual making the purchase is obligated to remit the tax to the state (unless, of course, they are in a state with no sales tax).
post #34 of 166
Quote:

The trolls have overrun this thread already. 1frown.gif

Just because someone doesn't agree with what Apple does, doesn't make them a troll. If you want to think that way, I could say well the fanboys have taken over this thread already too with comments like this. It goes both ways dude. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Realize that Apple isn't getting rid of the other configurations, they're just adding a low end version. There typically has been an educational version and this one seems to be it. In a lot of ways, this model is simply a MBA with a 21.5" screen (except for HDD) so for those people who are complaining about a Core2Duo i5, look at the specs for the MBA (1.4GHz, Dual Core i5). If the MBA is adequate for many people then so will this iMac.

I was hoping for a refresh of the entire iMac line before replacing my 2009 iMac so I will either wait and see or dive into a Mac Pro.

Basically what Apple did was take yesterday's educational only iMac and make it available for everyone. Still, $1099 is too expensive for what this is. Just because its Apple doesn't mean you can lowball specs and overprice it. I bet most people will just spend the extra $200 and get a real iMac. 

post #35 of 166
Just curious regarding the $999 iMac offering from MacMall in the story. It has a 640M graphics chip...I don't see this an option on the Apple store.

Does MacMall custom install special chips?
post #36 of 166
Quote:

Somebody with $1100 in their pocket but not $1300.
post #37 of 166
Quote:

Awful. Horrific specs. Should be $999 at most.

Show us your detailed analysis that at least shows the BOM compared with Apple's entry-level profit margin for other Macs makes this higher by $100 or a graph that shows that $999 would maximize iMac profits by increasing sales enough to offset the loss of $100 per unit.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #38 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Just curious regarding the $999 iMac offering from MacMall in the story. It has a 640M graphics chip...I don't see this an option on the Apple store.

It has quad core, 1TB hard drive, etc. There is a rebate. So, final prices is $999. The specs are much better, I think.

post #39 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Basically what Apple did was take yesterday's educational only iMac and make it available for everyone. Still, $1099 is too expensive for what this is. Just because its Apple doesn't mean you can lowball specs and overprice it. I bet most people will just spend the extra $200 and get a real iMac. 

I think this would be a nice machine as a general purpose computer for non-intensive tasks if it had an SSD instead of the 5400 rpm HDD. It is really crippled by this alone. The rest of the machine is quite good for this price (remember the CPU will scale up to 2.7 GHz) but it needs desperately an SSD. Even a slow one would make a huge difference.

post #40 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

$200 savings is $200 savings. Especially you don't need the power- like a simple workstation at an office. When our 2007 craps out in our Hawaii lab- I'll be getting this one. Only checks mail, numbers, and FileMaker. The power supply will die before the specs are obsolete for that use.

I think I'd rather fork over the extra money for future life. If one is going to use the computer for six+ years, I don't think it makes sense to be that cheap. One might even squeeze a few more years of useful life out of spending the extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

No, that's not practical.

It's either an older model or an erroneous listing. But if it's last year's model, it might be fine. It pays to scrutinize & research a bit.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/18/14 at 7:56am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price