or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price - Page 3

post #81 of 166
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post
Apple is getting boring now, they only release stuff at the end of the year.

 

In before Slurpy rightfully tears you a new one.

 

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post
The biggest reason why so many colleagues don't go Apple is price.

 

Then they’re morons.

 
Apple is missing out in not offering a basic all in one machine, a lower rung on the ladder that would get more people into iOS. To me, iOS is the real deal for Apple.


Nope. And nope. Buying a Mac won’t really get people into iOS.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #82 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically overpriced because it will look nice on someone's desk. Internet, email, Excel and PowerPoint are all available on Windows PCs.

That's the troll meme I'm looking for: Apple = overpriced, under-spec'd, pretty Wintel boxes running some goofy Unix dialect.

Why visit DailyTech forums when I can get my daily dose of "Windows > Apple" trolling right here¡

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #83 of 166

On UK site, Apple have reduced AppleTV to £80???? and also reduce the price of Mac Mini by £60???

Does this mean NEW AppleTV and Mac Mini?

post #84 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yes, this forum is overrun with fanboys who think Apple never does anything wrong. I'm glad you recognize this! 1smile.gif

You haven't proven to me that Apple has done anything "wrong" by selling this iMac. And how can you? It just went on sale.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #85 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Well has Office for Mac finally reached parity with the Windows version in features and performance? I seem to recall some members of this forum saying that Excel performs better in a Windows virtual machine than on bare Mac hardware (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/163482/microsoft-to-release-long-awaited-office-for-mac-update-in-2014-report#post_2485309).

In my experience, yes. I have done some fairly intense data analysis involving tens of thousands of data points (and formulas), and haven't run into any major issues (though at a certain point you do need to shut off Auto Calculation, but this is true on a windows box as well).

There are a few quirks (controlling the Solver addin with VBA springs immediately to mind), but overall the performance is good enough that I have never been tempted to install office on my VM.
post #86 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

On UK site, Apple have reduced AppleTV to £80???? and also reduce the price of Mac Mini by £60???


Does this mean NEW AppleTV and Mac Mini?
No price change in US so probably more to do with foreign exchange.
post #87 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I never said no one would buy it at this price. I'm sure plenty of people will, but plenty more would if Apple had found a way to shave $100 or $200 more off the price. With Windows 8 being such a turd and these convertible 2-in-1's not really taking off I'd love to see Apple aggressively target Windows users. And maybe take some steam out of Chromebooks too (which appear to be gaining traction in education markets). Is that shrill enough for you?

Nonsense. Using that argument, plenty more will buy it you reduced it even further. Why not lower it by another $400? Is it because you think you cannot (or you think people you know cannot) afford it that leads you to that conclusion? So what's that optimal point? You think you know that better than Apple does?

 

Moreover, don't you think that maintaining profit margins is one heck of an important goal for Apple? As long as they've existed? When have they sold a core hardware product (except for the AppeTV which has been typically relegated to 'hobby' status) to sacrifice margins? Why should they?

 

What you and the other drive-by whiners are proposing goes against the core of Apple's strategy. It ain't gonna happen. If you don't like it, buy a PC. Or a Chromebook. Or whatever.

post #88 of 166
Have not kept up on spec's how fast/slow is 1.4Ghz i5?
post #89 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

Have not kept up on spec's how fast/slow is 1.4Ghz i5?

 


at least it has turbo from 1.4 to 2.4. imo those are 2.4ghz rejects so Apple gets them at a discount.
Those CPU can get between 1.4 to 2.4 depending where they failed quality control.

That being said, the bottle neck nowadays are almost always disk read/writes and GPU. So a fusion drive or SSD or something with an nvidia GPU are more worthty than CPU upgrades. This makes old macs better than new ones.
post #90 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nonsense. Using that argument, plenty more will buy it you reduced it even further. Why not lower it by another $400? Is it because you think you cannot (or you think people you know cannot) afford it that leads you to that conclusion? So what's that optimal point? You think you know that better than Apple does?

Moreover, don't you think that maintaining profit margins is one heck of an important goal for Apple? As long as they've existed? When have they sold a core hardware product (except for the AppeTV which has been typically relegated to 'hobby' status) to sacrifice margins? Why should they?

What you and the other drive-by whiners are proposing goes against the core of Apple's strategy. It ain't gonna happen. If you don't like it, buy a PC. Or a Chromebook. Or whatever.
Apple isn't even featuring this on apple.com. If it was such a good deal wouldn't they want to feature it? They did with the MBA update.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140501004817/http://www.apple.com/
post #91 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

Have not kept up on spec's how fast/slow is 1.4Ghz i5?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1746213
post #92 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I think I'd rather fork over the extra money for future life. If one is going to use the computer for six+ years, I don't think it makes sense to be that cheap. One might even squeeze a few more years of useful life out of spending the extra.

That's fine for you, and in most "personal" cases.  I'm currently running a 2007 alum iMac w/ a 2ghz Core 2 Duo & 4GB Ram in our satellite laboratory.  It runs Mail, Numbers, and Filemaker perfectly- and only comes on 2 days a month- which is all that is required of that computer in that office.

Had I spent the extra $300 and gotten the 2.4ghz model in 2007- where would I be now?  Running Mail, Numbers, and Filemaker perfectly.  Exactly where I am today.

 

Stop assuming your needs are what my needs are.  $200 isn't a big deal to me, but if I don't need something that fast- I'm literally throwing money away.

 

Like I said earlier- my power supply will go out before the specs become obsolete for that particular use.  If you like to throw away money- by all means do it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #93 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple isn't even featuring this on apple.com. If it was such a good deal wouldn't they want to feature it? They did with the MBA update.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140501004817/http://www.apple.com/

Yet another nonsensical, overdrawn inference from you.

 

There isn't much point in continuing this.

post #94 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Yet another nonsensical, overdrawn inference from you.

 

There isn't much point in continuing this.

There isn't.  Needless to say, even if it were $899 or $999- you'd just get some other pointless rhetoric about why it isn't good.  Whatever fruit hangs the lowest, he'll grab like a pitbull.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #95 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yet another nonsensical, overdrawn inference from you.

There isn't much point in continuing this.
Ah but me saying saying this machine is overpriced means I think it should be some ridiculous low price. And that's not an overdrawn inference. This is a new product Apple is selling. Is it that odd to think they might feature it on their website? These iPhone and iPad commercials aren't brand new.
post #96 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

There isn't.  Needless to say, even if it were $899 or $999- you'd just get some other pointless rhetoric about why it isn't good.  Whatever fruit hangs the lowest, he'll grab like a pitbull.
Um, no if it was $899 or $999 you'd get no complaints from me. My complaint is about the price, nothing else.
post #97 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah but me saying saying this machine is overpriced means I think it should be some ridiculous low price. And that's not an overdrawn inference. This is a new product Apple is selling. Is it that odd to think they might feature it on their website? These iPhone and iPad commercials aren't brand new.

To be fair, many things aren't advertised or prominently displayed the moment they're available.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #98 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

On UK site, Apple have reduced AppleTV to £80???? and also reduce the price of Mac Mini by £60???


Does this mean NEW AppleTV and Mac Mini?


http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180789/apple-tv-price-drops-by-as-much-as-30-in-the-uk-europe-mac-mini-also-sees-cuts#post_2552099
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #99 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Shame that Tim the bean counter shows up every once in a while. This would have been perfect at $899 or $999.

 

Cause Steve Jobs gave Apple products away, right? Apple products are more reasonably priced today than they ever been in the company's entire history.

 

Also, the iMac is just a BIT more than specs, which is what you and others seem to be basing the price on. We're talking about the best built computer there is, insanely thin, incredibly good built quality using huge quantities of glass and aluminum. 

 

Also, you're following your regular pattern on this thread of spamming your opinion over and over. Yes, you've stated you believe it should be $100 cheaper (for whatever reason). Now you're going to continue saying the exact same thing using slightly different words. Why do you think your opinion is so important that people need to have it repeated over and over again? Trust me, they read it the 1st time. 

post #100 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

With those specs and that price point who is this geared towards? 1confused.gif

Someone who owns an iPhone or iPad and likes the Apple feel but only looks at FaceBook, replies to emails and watches a few clips of cats on YouTube, possibly also Skyping friends.

 

Believe it or not, the majority of computers are only used for this. My old Pentium 233 could accomplish these tasks.

post #101 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Someone who owns an iPhone or iPad and likes the Apple feel but only looks at FaceBook, replies to emails and watches a few clips of cats on YouTube, possibly also Skyping friends.

Believe it or not, the majority of computers are only used for this. My old Pentium 233 could accomplish these tasks.
Hmm... I do all that on my iPad. Why spend $1099 to duplicate it on a desktop?
post #102 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That's fine for you, and in most "personal" cases.

...

Stop assuming your needs are what my needs are.  $200 isn't a big deal to me, but if I don't need something that fast- I'm literally throwing money away.

Can you show me where I was assuming your needs? Or were you assuming that I was assuming? Does that mean the shoe is on the other foot? It seems you did notice that I tried to carefully word the post.

Also, the CPU in your 2007 iMac was pretty high end for the time. We don't know if a low end CPU from today would carry over just as well over the same amount of time. Equivalently cheaper might have been a 1.5GHz single core, like the Mac mini at the time had.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/18/14 at 10:03am
post #103 of 166
If you're not in the market for it, who cares what the price is. In addition, Apple has a lot more experience pricing their products than you do.

Oh and enough of the "Cook is a bean counter" shit. It's foolish.
post #104 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
 

Just like all of their Mac product line...  I don't understand why Apple consumer desktop hardware is so overpriced and under-powered.  Their mobile device hardware is price competitive... I never understood this...

 

according to you. meanwhile, in the real world, macs sales are trending better than PC sales, which are dropping. and apple is reaping all the profit in the entire industry because us customers are happy to pay it.

 

i wonder why thats so at odds with your analysis?

post #105 of 166

This system can do anything a MBA can do just not at the same speed because it doesn't some standard with and SSD. This config would be great of any high school or college student that wants a nice display but doesn't need higher end performance. This system can system can run anything a student would need for both school and fun. 

 

It's also perfect timing because the new school year is going to start in another month, at least in the US. Didn't look at the education store but I would assume anyone with a .edu will get an additional 50.00 off the base price. 

post #106 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post
 

I think this would be a nice machine as a general purpose computer for non-intensive tasks if it had an SSD instead of the 5400 rpm HDD. It is really crippled by this alone. 

 

read what you wrote. how could a general purpose computer be "crippled" by a HDD? it may be slower than a SSD, but for common, non-intensive tasks, it's surely not crippled. 

post #107 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If you're not in the market for it, who cares what the price is. In addition, Apple has a lot more experience pricing their products than you do.

Oh and enough of the "Cook is a bean counter" shit. It's foolish.
There have been a few times Apple got pricing wrong. Like the original iPhone, and ATV. There have been some stories about the iPad Air selling better than the retina iPad mini. Could be due to the price increase (I thought maybe the original $329 price was to accommodate a future retina screen). Or maybe now that the Air is so thin and light people opted for it instead. I think the updates Apple made to the MBA were fantastic and I suspect Apple could have a nice Mac quarter because of increased MBA sales. 1smile.gif
post #108 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't need to prove anything. I'm not just taking about this particular thread...its anything that has to do with Apple. The amount of fanboys on here is amazing. Apple never does anything wrong no matter what it is. 

Its great how nobody responds to something like my mac mini response because they know its true. Its hard for a fan boy to respond to something they know is true because it goes against believing that Apple never does anything people don't agree with. 

Overgeneralizing to dodge burden of proof. Got it.

No response = proof. Got it.

Keep up those fallacies coming.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #109 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There have been a few times Apple got pricing wrong. Like the original iPhone, and ATV. There have been some stories about the iPad Air selling better than the retina iPad mini. Could be due to the price increase (I thought maybe the original $329 price was to accommodate a future retina screen). Or maybe now that the Air is so thin and light people opted for it instead. I think the updates Apple made to the MBA were fantastic and I suspect Apple could have a nice Mac quarter because of increased MBA sales. 1smile.gif

So they got the first ever iPhone pricing wrong. So was Jobs a bean counter then? They've learned.

The iPad is probably a better product than the iPad mini. I don't know. I don't own either of them. Anecdotal evidence, if anything.
The original ATV had a harddruve. The revisions didn't.
post #110 of 166
Does anyone remember when HP(?) made an "iMac killer" that technically ha a touchscreen using some IR or laser matrix system in front of the display and came with comical multimedia UI?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #111 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does anyone remember when HP(?) made an "iMac killer" that technically ha a touchscreen using some IR or laser matrix system in front of the display and came with comical multimedia UI?

I thought I dreamt that. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #112 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Nonsense. Using that argument, plenty more will buy it you reduced it even further. Why not lower it by another $400? Is it because you think you cannot (or you think people you know cannot) afford it that leads you to that conclusion? So what's that optimal point? You think you know that better than Apple does?

 

Moreover, don't you think that maintaining profit margins is one heck of an important goal for Apple? As long as they've existed? When have they sold a core hardware product (except for the AppeTV which has been typically relegated to 'hobby' status) to sacrifice margins? Why should they?

 

What you and the other drive-by whiners are proposing goes against the core of Apple's strategy. It ain't gonna happen. If you don't like it, buy a PC. Or a Chromebook. Or whatever.

Sorry to point out,  but product pricing DOES have a psychological component;  why price it at $1099?  why not $1097.483?  It's clear that prices are set to hit certain "thresholds" in the minds of consumers.  

 

Now I am no business mogul but it seems to ME that it would have been nice for Apple to hit the $999 price target;  they could advertise "now under $1000"   to get to $999 and cross a major "threshold" is a $100 loss,  to get to $899 or $799 twice or three times more,  yet there is no major "threshold" there to cross to get the added benefit.

 

 

I also think that the whole Imac lineup is in need of a little movement.  If it were me (again no business mogul)

 

I would price this unit at $999 I would drop the HDD and use the 128GB SSD from the Air (this would simply be an $899 air on a stand)

  - using the SSD from the Air would allow for more economies of scale AND make this "low-end" device even more snappy.

  - They should  be able to hit the $999 price;  they are charging $899 for the Macbook Air, they would save on the battery and charging components, but, of course, they would spend more on the display,  but the $999 price gives them probably $100-140 for the cost difference on the display.

 

 

I would leave the prices of the other Imacs the same, but make the fusion drive standard.

 - Fusion drives can't really cost Apple much to produce,  the performance impact would seem like a significant upgrade, and it is an Apple exclusive technology (no other mainstream desktops have it) to further set apple products apart.

post #113 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post
 

Sorry to point out,  but product pricing DOES have a psychological component;  why price it at $1099?  why not $1097.483?  It's clear that prices are set to hit certain "thresholds" in the minds of consumers.  

 

etc etc

Sorry to point out, but you really must be quite arrogant -- not to mention completely out to lunch -- if you think that Apple couldn't do or hasn't done an analysis of the trade-offs between price and quantity, controlling for phycological factors, for a product that they've been producing and selling apparently quite successfully for the past 16 years.:lol:

post #114 of 166

I'm sorry if this has been said previously (I skimmed the other comments), but if this was $999 that would make the MBA equivalent (256GB SSD, 8 GB Ram) $50 MORE expensive.   I think this was a deciding factor in pricing.  The iMac with a larger screen and peripherals should (err... this is where everyone will eat into this comment)... should be more expensive.  And at this price point it is $50 more expensive. 

post #115 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Can you show me where I was assuming your needs? Or were you assuming that I was assuming? Does that mean the shoe is on the other foot? It seems you did notice that I tried to carefully word the post.

Yes, I assumed you were rebutting what I said because you quoted me.  Had you not quoted me, I would assume it was simply your opinion, and not a rebuttal to my opinion.  Otherwise, why quote me?  I thought it was understood that when you quote someone, you are either agreeing and adding to the OP's opinion; or, you are disagreeing and offering a counterargument.  Maybe the rules of forums have changed and I was unaware...

 

Irregardless, my quote wasn't anything that even needed rebutted, I was just responding to Rogifan explaining that I was someone who would buy one and then proceeded to give my reasons why.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #116 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

...Irregardless...


Ah!!!!!!!!
post #117 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

 

Sure you can. 

 

But you can't let your lack of search skills get in the way of a convenient straw man, can you?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #118 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post

Intel HD 5000 graphics for a 21 inch screen! Ouch! Your not going to even be able to play angry birds on that.
Actually you can play Eve Online with those specs.
post #119 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 

 

read what you wrote. how could a general purpose computer be "crippled" by a HDD? it may be slower than a SSD, but for common, non-intensive tasks, it's surely not crippled. 


I know very well what I wrote. With a 5400 rpm HDD AND 1.4 GHz CPU it is really crippled today. Apple could at least put in a slow 128 GB SSD, like they do even in the lowest end MBA. Even a 7200 rpm HDD would help. This iMac is literally the desktop version of the entry level MBA for 200 euros more. It is glaringly obvious that Apple targets some more than healthy margins here. If they succeed and people buy it, so be it. If not, they have nothing to lose.

post #120 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Actually you can play Eve Online with those specs.
Interesting. That's pretty impressive for integrated graphics! I haven't had that much luck playing war thunder on my MBA except on absolute min though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price