or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to AT&T

Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive... - Page 6

post #201 of 208

Ha ha!  By tilting the phone itself, he was tracking his own head successfully.  Very interesting!

post #202 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Then show some nuanced analysis instead of evangelism and this incredible defensiveness about Amazon. You're not above the fanboy wars, you are a full participant.

Developer = objectivity. Uh-huh. You're wound way too right to be objective. It's also an old meme on this site. Haven't you seen posts like "I have equal experience on Windows and Mac, so I have objectivity and you iSheep don't!" in Microsoft-related threads sometimes? You are pulling the same "platform experience" card out of the deck.

The most nuanced and objective developer I ever met was John Carmack, co-founder of id Software. He never took sides in the great nvidia vs. ATI flame wars of the early 2000s, instead he made clear and highly technical observations about each tech company. He did take sides in the OpenGL vs D3D conflict during that time, but it was always backed by clear, technical reasons, and a little of his own personal value judgment about what "do the right thing" meant. You sir, are no John Carmack. (And that's not an insult, because very few developers reach that level of mastery of their craft)

Well said. The "I'm a developer" line is laughauble. No developer worth their salt working on a single platform would have the time, motivation, or reason to go into threads like these for hours and defend something- let alone someone working on "multiple platforms" as he states. I'd love to see a list of stuff he's developed, but I very much doubt anything exists. 

Oh, and tt92618 make sure you don't read the below link, arstechnica's hands-on of the phone. That site is one of the most objective I know of, but I guess they're all "Apple fanboys" because of the below quotes- many of which were predicted in this very thread, statements you mocked and bashed. 

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/amazon-fire-phone-hands-on-double-vision/

Quote:
 Otherwise, we didn't see transformative uses for head-tracked phone movements. In particular, the Amazon shopping app, which let us tilt the phone to flip through dress designs, felt a little too sensitive for our liking. The games we tested, Threes and Stagedive Legends, had absolutely terrible head-tracking implementations, quite frankly; the lag between motion and on-screen action was too unbearable, a la Kinect.

Quote:

In our brief demo, this wrist-jerking began to hurt very, very quickly, and when we said so, we were reminded that each app could have those menus brought up by swiping from the right-most or left-most edge of the screen. (Additionally, "back" is triggered by swiping from the bottom.) That introduced a whole new batch of problems, especially when dragging around a map screen to look for a coffee shop. It didn't take long to accidentally bring up the right-most "recent searches" menu or left-most "preferences" menu.
Quote:
 Our results weren't quite as snappy as Bezos' presentation would lead you to believe. In particular, Firefly kept re-identifying a single book in the corner of the image, ignoring another book in our screen's dead-central zone even if we tapped the screen to focus.

Quote:

Pinch-zooming on our photos showed significant blur on photo details, particularly the letters on our keyboard. We'll test the heck out of this with review hardware, but we didn't walk away impressed.

Quote:

In fact, our general takeaway was one of shrugging our shoulders and remarking on the Android features we missed. The "home" screen is a giant mess of icons, and it can't be improved with custom widgets. According to representatives, the default Swype keyboard can't be replaced with a third-party option. The lack of dedicated Google apps on a mostly Android device, especially the oft-improving Google Maps, bummed us out.

Sounds fantastic. 

post #203 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

Holy competition Batman!
...if it all works as advertised

Indeed, Samsung should be afraid. It makes their "it stops playing video when I look away" feature seem like the even shallower gimmick it is. lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #204 of 208

The device seems okay  but I am worried  that these features will feel gimmicky.  

The Firefly software seems pretty good,   but not really tied to the hardware,  it easily could be released for any other device (and may even eventually be release as a app on other platforms to drive sales to Amazon)

The "3D"  seems really gimmicky to me.  At best it's "nifty", i.e. in the maps, but not a "killer" feature.  AND there are already apps that use this type of display on the Iphone (going way back to the at least the Iphone 4) .  It's the "integrated" features seem really gimmicky,  i.e. the scrolling seems just odd and probably more trouble that it's worth,  the options "gestures" again, the navigation gestures, again, odd and not really any better than touch.

Just my opinion.

post #205 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post

The "3D"  seems really gimmicky to me.  At best it's "nifty", i.e. in the maps, but not a "killer" feature.  AND there are already apps that use this type of display on the Iphone (going way back to the at least the Iphone 4) .  It's the "integrated" features seem really gimmicky,  i.e. the scrolling seems just odd and probably more trouble that it's worth,  the options "gestures" again, the navigation gestures, again, odd and not really any better than touch.

Just my opinion.

If Apple invented sliced bread, this would be Amazon's sliced bread with butter baked in. No, make that fancy butter. As far as smartphone functionality goes, the 3D face tracking--the way it's used here--is less useful than the Firefly and sign recognition. Machine vision is more practical.

Funny thing is: I never actually dismissed the Fire phone (@tt92618 overreacted). I pretty much had the same reaction as you. 3D is a novelty, and when the newness wears off, it won't be the thing that keeps sales going. To me, it's clear this phone is really a strategy to grow Amazon's digital goods business (music, movies, books, TV shows). If Apple is about user experience, Google is about open and free, then Amazon is about funneling sales of their online business. The 3D feature is just a headliner--something people will remember then they think of this phone. Apple tries to do the same with each iPhone release, such as Facetime, Siri or the first 64-bit mobile CPU.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #206 of 208

I've been scanning and calling phone numbers on my iPhone since 2011 with ReadAndCall.   That part doesn't seem new.

post #207 of 208
How do you make a feel-good video that's so f#$%^&*ing disingenuous? I mean, you have to be trying, right?
post #208 of 208

Looks interesting, and certainly novel, but not something I would be interested in buying.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to AT&T
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to AT&T