or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile's 'Music Freedom' lets users stream music for free from services like iTunes Radio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

T-Mobile's 'Music Freedom' lets users stream music for free from services like iTunes Radio

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
In an announcement during the "Un-Carrier 5.0" press conference on Wednesday, T-Mobile skipped the wait and went straight to "Un-Carrier 6.0," a program that lets customers stream music from top Internet radio services without having the data used count against their allotted monthly plans.



Officially called Music Freedom, the initiative will roll out with initial support for eight services including iTunes Radio, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, Slacker, Samsung's Milk Music and Beatport. According to T-Mobile, about 85 percent of total Internet radio usage is generated by the first six services mentioned.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere said the new plan is meant to highlight the carrier's network strength.

"As a committed music freak, I'm personally outraged at the way the other guys are using the music you love to lure you into over-priced plans with sweet 'promotional offers' that quickly roll into higher prices or trigger those absurd overage charges," Legere said in a prepared statement. "Music should be free of all that. Music should have no limits."

With no overage charges or data caps, Music Freedom is basically an all-you-can-eat service for streaming music platforms.

Further, T-Mobile plans to add more providers at a later date. The company is running a poll on its website where people can vote for candidate services, including Beats Music, which Apple recently acquired as part of a $3 billion acquisition of parent company Beats.

As is his style, Legere took the announcement as an opportunity to slam competing carriers, saying they are either too greedy or simply unwilling to offer a similar free service on their networks.
post #2 of 37
Let me know when TM offers unlimited porn

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
post #3 of 37
I know the cynics will be out in force. So let me say upfront: It's fantastic to see a phone company actually trying push the envelope.
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know the cynics will be out in force. So let me say upfront: It's fantastic to see a phone company actually trying push the envelope.

Absolutely agree. Streaming music is probably one of the main causes of data overages.*

*Disclaimer. This IS an assumption
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know the cynics will be out in force. So let me say upfront: It's fantastic to see a phone company actually trying push the envelope.

No cynicism here. Free anything (with no fine print) is good. There is no fine print, right?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #6 of 37
If their quality of service matched their boasting I'd happily switch to TMO. If they provided AT&T or Verizon's coverage map, they would probably have to charge more to support the extra infrastructure.
post #7 of 37
Yes!!! Though now that I'm on T-Mobile with an unlimited plan it's not that big a deal to me but if Verizon offered that I might've just stayed with them and lowered my data plan. Streaming music is the reason I had such a large data plan in the first place with regular radio being crap.
post #8 of 37
Great. More services with subscriptions where only the company it self makes any real money, and as usual, the artists hardly make anything. And they try to pay us as little as possible as usual. I absolutely hate all these damn streaming services.
They are not good for artists. How many million plays do you lot think one song needs to make any money even worth mentioning about?
You need to buy the music to support us smaller artist instead of using damn streaming. And people thought illegal downloading is bad, no, this is the bad one for us artists.
Another damn 0.000000000000000001 cent a play. Weeks of hard work in a studio. Ge thanks, you twats!
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

If their quality of service matched their boasting I'd happily switch to TMO. If they provided AT&T or Verizon's coverage map, they would probably have to charge more to support the extra infrastructure.

My step father used to always say he stuck with Verizon because it had the best call network based on the range of areas it covered. Yet he never left Ann Arbor Michigan where both Tmobile and AT&T have great coverage. Tmobile for a lot less. I have had tmobile for 8 years and have traveled to various places in the US with no problems making and receiving calls. In some remote areas of Michigan, data is sometimes a problem, but I am hardly in those areas.

Further, I remember when AT&T first got the iPhone. Lots of people complained about data speed. Yet as AT&T grew its business, data speeds improved. Since the proposed merger with AT&T died, TMobile has greatly improved its data speeds as well.

For many people Tmobile is a great option.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100101 View Post

Great. More services with subscriptions where only the company it self makes any real money, and as usual, the artists hardly make anything. And they try to pay us as little as possible as usual. I absolutely hate all these damn streaming services.
They are not good for artists. How many million plays do you lot think one song needs to make any money even worth mentioning about?
You need to buy the music to support us smaller artist instead of using damn streaming. And people thought illegal downloading is bad, no, this is the bad one for us artists.
Another damn 0.000000000000000001 cent a play. Weeks of hard work in a studio. Ge thanks, you twats!

I agree.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #11 of 37

So much for net neutrality.

post #12 of 37

Goodbye Verizon.

 

Hello T-Mobile iPhone 6.

post #13 of 37
TMO has great coverage in Richmond, VA. If I'm out of town I might drop down to 2G but not when I'm on the interstates. Their 3G coverage here is improved dramatically during the last year. I travel to DC periodically and coverage is great up there and in between too.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Let me know when TM offers unlimited porn

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

 

FWIW, my T-Mo plan is month to month, $30, with unlimited data

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Let me know when TM offers unlimited porn


"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

FWIW, my T-Mo plan is month to month, $30, with unlimited data

That sounds pretty good. Is that 4G on an iPhone? How many minutes?

Can you tether? If you're getting 4G, I'm switching. I have an unlocked iPhone 5.
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
post #16 of 37
100 minutes with $0.10/minute after that. I've only hit the limit twice for like $2 worth of charges.

Hotspot is rogue, but I use it all the time.

Any unlocked GSM phone will work, AFAIK, but you have to either bring your own or pay it off with T-Mob over time. Still MUCH cheaper than a subsidized contract.

My plan isn't available right now, but they are letting me keep it for some reason.
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

That sounds pretty good. Is that 4G on an iPhone? How many minutes?

Can you tether? If you're getting 4G, I'm switching. I have an unlocked iPhone 5.

Well all t-mobile plans are month-to-month, no contract. For the $80 a month plan it's unlimited minutes and unlimited data. I get pretty much great coverage everywhere except my girlfriends place.

I think all iPhone 5 are unlocked from the start, or maybe just the Verizon ones.

The only plan you can tether on is the unlimited everything plan and you get 5gb a month for tethering.
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100101 View Post

Great. More services with subscriptions where only the company it self makes any real money, and as usual, the artists hardly make anything. And they try to pay us as little as possible as usual. I absolutely hate all these damn streaming services.
They are not good for artists. How many million plays do you lot think one song needs to make any money even worth mentioning about?
You need to buy the music to support us smaller artist instead of using damn streaming. And people thought illegal downloading is bad, no, this is the bad one for us artists.
Another damn 0.000000000000000001 cent a play. Weeks of hard work in a studio. Ge thanks, you twats!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/19/zoe-keating-spotify-streaming-royalties 

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post


Well all t-mobile plans are month-to-month, no contract. For the $80 a month plan it's unlimited minutes and unlimited data. I get pretty much great coverage everywhere except my girlfriends place.

I think all iPhone 5 are unlocked from the start, or maybe just the Verizon ones.

The only plan you can tether on is the unlimited everything plan and you get 5gb a month for tethering.

 

Verizon iPhones are not CDMA, not GSM. So with a GSM phone you get to swap SIM cards and jump networks. A Verizon phone is stuck there.

 

Tethering works fine without the unlimited everything plan. On my Nexus 4, I just use the vanilla Android teather, and can feed my wife's iPads and my kids' iPod Touches. For tethering a Windows laptop, the network recognizes the browser's User Agent string (IE, FF, and Chrome), and a T-Mobile tethering plan message shows up in the browser. But, in Chrome on those Windows laptops, I use the User Agent Spoofer extension to spoof it as Safari, and T-Mobile lets it through fine. I'm not sure why they are ok with Safari -- maybe just fewer Apple owners dodging hotspot services?

 

$80/month reminds me of how great of a plan I have. While I don't have unlimited minutes, the extra minutes are cheap, and included minutes are usually plenty. It's awesome that you can go unlimited even for $80 though, because Verizon just adds $5/Gb for plans seemingly forever, at $10/month increments (they list a $350/month plan! -- a$$holes).

 

I wonder when someone will just start selling data by the Mb. Once someone breeches that threshold, things will get much nicer in the US.

post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Verizon iPhones are not CDMA, not GSM. So with a GSM phone you get to swap SIM cards and jump networks. A Verizon phone is stuck there.

Tethering works fine without the unlimited everything plan. On my Nexus 4, I just use the vanilla Android teather, and can feed my wife's iPads and my kids' iPod Touches. For tethering a Windows laptop, the network recognizes the browser's User Agent string (IE, FF, and Chrome), and a T-Mobile tethering plan message shows up in the browser. But, in Chrome on those Windows laptops, I use the User Agent Spoofer extension to spoof it as Safari, and T-Mobile lets it through fine. I'm not sure why they are ok with Safari -- maybe just fewer Apple owners dodging hotspot services?

$80/month reminds me of how great of a plan I have. While I don't have unlimited minutes, the extra minutes are cheap, and included minutes are usually plenty. It's awesome that you can go unlimited even for $80 though, because Verizon just adds $5/Gb for plans seemingly forever, at $10/month increments (they list a $350/month plan! -- a$$holes).

I wonder when someone will just start selling data by the Mb. Once someone breeches that threshold, things will get much nicer in the US.

The iPhone 5 can be used on any network, I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile with the same iPhone 5 and only had to switch out the SIM. Although I don't think that's the case with older iPhones. And I am getting 4g on my phone and it's comparable to the speed on Verizon.

I maxed out my Verizon plan with about 8gb and was paying around $140 or so a month. So glad I had this option.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post


The iPhone 5 can be used on any network, I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile with the same iPhone 5 and only had to switch out the SIM. Although I don't think that's the case with older iPhones. And I am getting 4g on my phone and it's comparable to the speed on Verizon.

I maxed out my Verizon plan with about 8gb and was paying around $140 or so a month. So glad I had this option.

 

Ah, yeah, I'm seeing now that many high-end phones are moving to dual SIM (CDMA plus GSM). Cool!

 

Interesting that we're to the point that it makes sense to carry two radios and only have to test one platform rather than having two separate supply chains. Looks like the S5 has gone this way too.

post #22 of 37
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post
Let me know when TM offers unlimited porn

 

I imagine it would be Beta vs. VHS all over again.

 

Originally Posted by reroll View Post
So much for net neutrality.

 

Well, so much for your understanding of the concept, at least.

 

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Verizon iPhones are not CDMA, not GSM. So with a GSM phone you get to swap SIM cards and jump networks. A Verizon phone is stuck there.

 

Nope. 

 

An iPhone purchased on Verizon runs off its CDMA hardware, but any SIM can be installed and work perfectly fine. The opposite is not true; A GSM iPhone isn’t unlocked for CDMA (or wasn’t; it might be now).

 
I wonder when someone will just start selling data by the Mb. Once someone breeches that threshold, things will get much nicer in the US. 

 

Nicer? No. That’s the end of everything.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 37

Yeah, I guess the best would be pay for access to the backbone and everything would be priced based on the usage of the hive?

 

As it is, I'd rather pay for what I "use" than pay for what I might use, although it would indeed be better to just pay for access... depending on the price.

 

Back to this music streaming thing, I guess it is a little surprising for T-Mobile to violate net neutrality like this.

post #24 of 37
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

As it is, I'd rather pay for what I "use" than pay for what I might use, although it would indeed be better to just pay for access... depending on the price.

 

I dunno; the flat price model tends to work out for every other instance of Internet use. The people who use below the metric always balance out the people who use above.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know the cynics will be out in force. So let me say upfront: It's fantastic to see a phone company actually trying push the envelope.

What envelope, it's been this way in Switzerland for the last 2 years. it also includes things like streaming TV. It's nice to see you guys finally getting with the times though, even if it's only with T-Mobile.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I know the cynics will be out in force. So let me say upfront: It's fantastic to see a phone company actually trying push the envelope.
What envelope, it's been this way in Switzerland for the last 2 years. it also includes things like streaming TV. It's nice to see you guys finally getting with the times though, even if it's only with T-Mobile.

Good for you.

On the flip side, you have to live in Switzerland. We get to live in the USA! 1biggrin.gif
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Good for you.

On the flip side, you have to live in Switzerland. We get to live in the USA! 1biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh, nooooooo, I have to live in one of wealthiest countries in the world with one of the lowest tax rates, unemployment of 2.6 percent right now and where the low income families hit around 37,000 dollars a year. Yeah, we're sucking hard. I'm just kidding, I like America too. ;)

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


My step father used to always say he stuck with Verizon because it had the best call network based on the range of areas it covered. Yet he never left Ann Arbor Michigan where both Tmobile and AT&T have great coverage. Tmobile for a lot less. I have had tmobile for 8 years and have traveled to various places in the US with no problems making and receiving calls. In some remote areas of Michigan, data is sometimes a problem, but I am hardly in those areas.

Further, I remember when AT&T first got the iPhone. Lots of people complained about data speed. Yet as AT&T grew its business, data speeds improved. Since the proposed merger with AT&T died, TMobile has greatly improved its data speeds as well.

For many people Tmobile is a great option.

 

Just hoping the Sprint acquisition doesn't mess the whole thing up, tho' I hear Legere's in line to run the combined op (CDMA/GSM incompatibilities and all).

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh my gosh, nooooooo, I have to live in one of wealthiest countries in the world with one of the lowest tax rates, unemployment of 2.6 percent right now and where the low income families hit around 37,000 dollars a year. Yeah, we're sucking hard. I'm just kidding, I like America too. 1wink.gif

I've been to Switzerland many times. Lovely country, great people.

No offense, but I'll take the chaos, creativity, culture, rambunctiousness, craziness, influence, wit, wisdom, stupidity, breadth, depth, and freedoms of the USA compared to the bucolic, pastoral sterility and derivative culture of Switzerland any day. It's a state-of-mind thing. 1smile.gif
post #30 of 37
Read wikipedia. Here's a preview: Net neutrality (also network neutrality or Internet neutrality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, and modes of communication.
post #31 of 37
Originally Posted by reroll View Post
Read wikipedia. Here's a preview: Net neutrality (also network neutrality or Internet neutrality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, and modes of communication.

 

Yep. And that has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yep. And that has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

 

Here, I'm highlighting and selecting the important part for you:

not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content

You know, it's OK to be wrong sometimes, for a change you could just admit it.

post #33 of 37
Originally Posted by reroll View Post

You know, it's OK to be wrong sometimes, for a change you could just admit it.

 

Except this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with that. This is T-Mobile letting streaming music not count toward your CAPPED AND THROTTLED data limit. THIER data limit. The one THEY impose.


You are advocating for them to CAP AND THROTTLE THE ENTIRE INTERNET instead of NOT doing that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Except this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with that. This is T-Mobile letting streaming music not count toward your CAPPED AND THROTTLED data limit. THIER data limit. The one THEY impose.


You are advocating for them to CAP AND THROTTLE THE ENTIRE INTERNET instead of NOT doing that.

 

I guess this is what you don't understand.

1- I'm not advocating T-Mobile to cap anything

2- A data limit may still be net neutral if it doesn't target anything specific (e.g., content, protocol), even if it sucks to have any kind of data limit

3- What is not net neutral here is that they promote a specific set of services by not imposing any data limit on these services only

4- What T-Mobile is doing is a step towards limitless mobile internet, but is against net neutrality principles nonetheless

5- If you're OK with this, I'm sure you'll be OK when your provider tells you to pay extra for Youtube, Netflix, or peer-to-peer.

post #35 of 37
Originally Posted by reroll View Post

4- What T-Mobile is doing is a step towards limitless mobile internet, but is against net neutrality principles nonetheless

 

So net neutrality advocates for ONLY the equality of data? Even if that data is equally limited to paying per bit? I doubt that.

 
5- If you're OK with this, I'm sure you'll be OK when your provider tells you to pay extra for Youtube, Netflix, or peer-to-peer.

 

Nah, that doesn’t follow from this.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

So net neutrality advocates for ONLY the equality of data? Even if that data is equally limited to paying per bit? I doubt that.

 

Yep. Once again I strongly encourage you to read the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

 

Another quote to make my point:

"""

Chile became the first country in the world to pass net neutrality legislation in 2010.[26] The laws adopted there prohibit organizations such as Facebook and Wikipedia from subsidizing mobile data usage of consumers.

"""

post #37 of 37

Yeah, it's pretty clear that this T-Mobile move is against net neutrality.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • T-Mobile's 'Music Freedom' lets users stream music for free from services like iTunes Radio
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile's 'Music Freedom' lets users stream music for free from services like iTunes Radio