or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple invents iPhone camera lens actuator made of artificial muscle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple invents iPhone camera lens actuator made of artificial muscle - Page 2

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


IMO Apple is very innovative tho perhaps in a more low-key way. To be honest as high profile as Apple is and as popular as their products are (iPhone probably owned by more media folks and bloggers than any other smartphone by a mile) they don't get as much credit for innovation as some other large companies, with the ranking from Boston Consulting Group being the only exception I came across in a brief search. They put Apple at number one last year, followed by Samsung at 2 1hmm.gif and Google in third place. BCG usually has Apple in first year to year.
https://www.bcgperspectives.com/content/articles/innovation_growth_most_innovative_companies_2013_lessons_from_leaders/

This could be partially due to the impact of the innovations. IPod, huge. IPhone, huge. IPhone 5s, incremental. Artificial muscle on a lens... Phone cameras can focus fine now, so it will have a small impact.

Self driving cars and global Internet coverage have a much bigger impact, overall. We'll see what is actually released though...
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Let's keep it simple. Something that supports the theory that Google innovates: Self driving cars.

I brought a snack, so we can talk this through.

What dealer near me sells these self-driving cars? What federal and local governments mandates have rebuilt roads with sensors or used GPS mapping or have cars so smart they can tell every road in the country that a regular user can see? Part of the definition of "innovate" is to make changes to something established but cars are are still be driving the same way and there is NO WAY for me to buy one of these cars and drive it cross country. Tesla has innovated a lot more than Google in this area since there is no product. NO PRODUCT. And there may never be a product as getting every govt built road in a given country to allow for a self-driving automobiles is very, very, very long way off. But don't worry, I'm sure Google will have more half-assed ideas it tries to pretend are right around the corner from being mass produced for the public. I'm sure it's all coming soon. Soooon[/I, as soon as Godot gets here.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What dealer near me sells these self-driving cars? What federal and local governments mandates have rebuilt roads with sensors or used GPS mapping or have cars so smart they can tell every road in the country that a regular user can see? Part of the definition of "innovate" is to make changes to something established but cars are are still be driving the same way and there is NO WAY for me to buy one of these cars and drive it cross country. Tesla has innovated a lot more than Google in this area since there is no product. NO PRODUCT. And there may never be a product as getting every govt built road in a given country to allow for a self-driving automobiles is very, very, very long way off. But don't worry, I'm sure Google will have more half-assed ideas it tries to pretend are right around the corner from being mass produced for the public. I'm sure it's all coming soon. Soooon[/I, as soon as Godot gets here.

 

Are you done? Didn't you leave out a paragraph or three?

 

There used to not be self-driving cars. Google innovated, and now there are a handful of them. Period. They need more innovation to get our butts in their seats, and clearly some infrastructure will need to be put in place.

post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Are you done? Didn't you leave out a paragraph or three?

There used to not be self-driving cars. Google innovated, and now there are a handful of them. Period. They need more innovation to get our butts in their seats, and clearly some infrastructure will need to be put in place.

Some infrastructure? SOME?!!!! You really don't know when you're looking at do you? But that's fine, there is a reason strippers use body glitter so clearly some people have to fall for vaporware.

Here are some other comparisons:

Google's Gmail and Business Services = PRODUCT
Google's Self Driving Cars = NOT A PRODUCT

Apple's iPad = PRODUCT
Apple's Knowledge Navigator = NOT A PRODUCT

Tesla's Model S = PRODUCT
Elon Musk's Hyperloop = NOT A PRODUCT

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Some infrastructure? SOME?!!!! You really don't know when you're looking at do you? But that's fine, there is a reason strippers use body glitter so clearly some people have to fall for vaporware.

Here are some other comparisons:

Google's Gmail and Business Services = PRODUCT
Google's Self Driving Cars = NOT A PRODUCT

Apple's iPad = PRODUCT
Apple's Knowledge Navigator = NOT A PRODUCT

Tesla's Model S = PRODUCT
Elon Musk's Hyperloop = NOT A PRODUCT

 

I thought you were talking about innovations, not products.

post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I thought you were talking about innovations, not products.

No, we're talking about innovations in products. Anything else is just foolish nonsense.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No, we're talking about innovations in products. Anything else is just foolish nonsense.

 

Fine.

 

Street View.

post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Fine.

Street View.

What the **** does that have to do with anything?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What the **** does that have to do with anything?

 

It's a Google innovation that has been released, and you can use it.

post #50 of 68
Google has never "innovated" shıt. A couple of college boys took a commonly-used search algorithm used in the academic realm to rank papers by number of cites, patented it, and make billions off the gullible*. They're the equivalent of the a$$hole that patented the crank, forcing James Watt to use planetary gears on his first rotary steam engines.

*At least this is the theory. I've never seen any sign of this genius search algorithm. All I get is page after page of whoever's paid Google to wind up at the top of every search—in order of bribe amount.
post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

It's a Google innovation that has been released, and you can use it.

Oh, I get that, I just don't know why you'd post it at all. Clearly I made no such statements that Google had no innovations or products. I even listed two as an example of products.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Google has never "innovated" shıt. A couple of college boys took a commonly-used search algorithm used in the academic realm to rank papers by number of cites, patented it, and make billions off the gullible*. They're the equivalent of the a$$hole that patented the crank, forcing James Watt to use planetary gears on his first rotary steam engines.

*At least this is the theory. I've never seen any sign of this genius search algorithm. All I get is page after page of whoever's paid Google to wind up at the top of every search—in order of bribe amount.

Their search algorithms were not commonly used or ordinary. If they were they could not have dominated the market the way they did. They also made great innovations with many web app, like email, including algorithms for filtering spam (which I wish Apple could catch up to), and monetizing ads. They've done some amazing things over the years.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Oh, I get that, I just don't know why you'd post it at all. Clearly I made no such statements that Google had no innovations or products. I even listed two as an example of products.

 

I thought your argument was that they are not an innovative company. You're just arguing on the specifics of an unofficial title of "engine of innovation?"

 

Well never mind then.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Google has never "innovated" shıt. A couple of college boys took a commonly-used search algorithm used in the academic realm to rank papers by number of cites, patented it, and make billions off the gullible*. They're the equivalent of the a$$hole that patented the crank, forcing James Watt to use planetary gears on his first rotary steam engines.

*At least this is the theory. I've never seen any sign of this genius search algorithm. All I get is page after page of whoever's paid Google to wind up at the top of every search—in order of bribe amount.

 

lol

post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I thought your argument was that they are not an innovative company. You're just arguing on the specifics of an unofficial title of "engine of innovation?"

Well never mind then.

I'm arguing the point that saying a company is innovative by noting things that aren't products, aren't in products, and may never be products is foolish. Google isn't MIT where we can look at some novel idea that might become a real product in several decades and say, "well that could be neat."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #55 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'm arguing the point that saying a company is innovative by noting things that aren't products, aren't in products, and may never be products is foolish. Google isn't MIT where we can look at some novel idea that might become a real product in several decades and say, "well that could be neat."

 

That's one way to look at it.

 

I think Apple is brilliantly successful at monetizing its innovations. I think Google is all over the place in that respect, but I see no negatives in capturing people's imaginations with your ideas and experiments, and I think it can be driven by innovation.

post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

That's one way to look at it.

I think Apple is brilliantly successful at monetizing its innovations. I think Google is all over the place in that respect, but I see no negatives in capturing people's imaginations with your ideas and experiments, and I think it can be driven by innovation.

Then why doesn't Google post new innovations it's working on to make search and ad placements better? Not because it's dull but because that's where they make their money. These self driving cars they want to try to show off no different than a magician trying to entertainment widened ignorant children.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Then why doesn't Google post new innovations it's working on to make search and ad placements better?

 

You mean like here?  http://www.google.com/adsense/start/how-it-works.html

post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You mean like here?  http://www.google.com/adsense/start/how-it-works.html

No.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No.

 

I'm going to have to start posting lmgtfy links...   http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/index.html

 

Leads to stuff like this... http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/search.html#tab=management

 

They're not hiding their ad products nor innovation in that area, and they are marketing it.

post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I'm going to have to start posting lmgtfy links...   http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/index.html

Leads to stuff like this... http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/search.html#tab=management

They're not hiding their ad products nor innovation in that area, and…

No.
Quote:
...they are marketing it.

Yes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


But ... there goes your bokeh! lol

 


Why is that? The very round bokeh is something you typically see from apertures with a greater number of blades, that are closer to being visually circular. Am I missing something?

post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
 


Why is that? The very round bokeh is something you typically see from apertures with a greater number of blades, that are closer to being visually circular. Am I missing something?

 

Yep. Round would be perfect unless you were looking for corners for effect. The corners don't look as good closer to the edge though, as the bokeh balls start to elongate.

 

post #63 of 68
@waterrockets, here is a prime example of what can happen when you allow yourself to get overcome by a concept not ready for a production release. Hint: You convince yourself it's real and then you start asking Santa to bring you one.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@waterrockets, here is a prime example of what can happen when you allow yourself to get overcome by a concept not ready for a production release. Hint: You convince yourself it's real and then you start asking Santa to bring you one.

 

I'm not an early adopter. This is not a problem I'll ever have, and I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I'm not an early adopter. This is not a problem I'll ever have, and I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

In the absolute sense of the term you are an early adopter because you bought into the hype so completely that you can't tell it apart from an actual shipping product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


In the absolute sense of the term you are an early adopter because you bought into the hype so completely that you can't tell it apart from an actual shipping product.

 

Show me where I've said a research project is a shipping product. Where we differ on this is that you think innovation is meaningless until/unless it's delivered to consumers.

post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Show me where I've said a research project is a shipping product. Where we differ on this is that you think innovation is meaningless until/unless it's delivered to consumers.

I never said you said it was a shipping product, I said you can't claim that a for-profit company is innovating because it's showing a concept that isn't in a shipping product. I clearly stated that you can't tell a shipping product from one a conceptual model and noted your example as evidence to this fact.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #68 of 68
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I never said you said it was a shipping product, I said you can't claim that a for-profit company is innovating because it's showing a concept that isn't in a shipping product.
 
It's pretty clear that we disagree here, and I'm okay with that.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I clearly stated that you can't tell a shipping product from one a conceptual model and noted your example as evidence to this fact.

 

You're going to have to refresh my memory. The only thing close I see is from the unedited post above. I've bolded the part demonstrating that I recognize the difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Self driving cars and global Internet coverage have a much bigger impact, overall. We'll see what is actually released though...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple invents iPhone camera lens actuator made of artificial muscle