or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Disney's 'Star Wars Scene Maker' lets users recreate iconic movie scenes on their iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disney's 'Star Wars Scene Maker' lets users recreate iconic movie scenes on their iPad

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
"Star Wars" fanatics can relive their love of the original trilogy in an entirely new way on Apple's iPad thanks to the new "Star Wars Scene Maker" app from Disney, which allows users to re-imagine and re-create scenes from the films.




The new app, which launched on Thursday, is the first in what Disney plans to be a series of "Scene Maker" downloads for iOS, featuring animated 3D models of characters, vehicles and environments. Users can manipulate these elements to create their own scenes from the iconic "Star Wars" films "A New Hope," "The Empire Strikes Back," and "Return of the Jedi."

The scene "The Battle of Endor" from the third film in the trilogy comes free with the app. Two more scenes -- "Cloud City Duel" from "Empire" and "Death Star Trench Run" from the first film --?are available for $2.99 each, or $3.99 for both.




The app boasts dialog from the films, and even the classic music from legendary composer John Williams. Nine official "Star Wars" film scores are available, as well as five lines of dialog from the original trilogy.

When filming, users can position three movable cameras within the 3D environment with three different shooting modes: fixed camera, fixed tracking camera, and chase camera.

Users also add their own characters, vehicles and props such as weapons -- each with their own custom actions -- to the scene. Options available in the free "Endor" scene include Han Solo, C-3P0, an AT-ST, Stormtroopers, and Ewoks.




While Han Solo comes with selectable lines of dialog from the film, users can also record their own. And when recording lines for characters like Stormtroopers, built-in voice filters allow the custom-made movie to have a more authentic feel.

Once the set pieces are in place, users can let the scene play out and add different actions or lines of dialog as it progresses. The three customized camera angles can also be switched between on the fly, choosing close-up, wide or action shots as needed.




When that's completed, the app also allows the addition of an iconic "Star Wars" title crawl to the beginning of the scene, as well as credits at the end. Naturally both of these can be modified to say whatever fits the scene that has just been created.

Videos can then be exported to YouTube or Facebook where they are free to be shared with others.




"At Disney Publishing, we are committed to reaching today's consumers in deeper, more engaging ways through innovative and immersive storytelling experiences," Andrew Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide, said in a press release. "Star Wars Scene Maker allows us to put kids and fans of all ages in the director's seat and provide them with ways to unleash their creativity and share their passion for the Star Wars brand in a new way."

"Star Wars Scene Maker" is now available for free for iPad on the iOS App Store. Disney has promised that new content will be released through updates and in-app purchases, and that some of that content will focus on the upcoming "Star Wars Rebels" animated series on the Disney XD channel.

post #2 of 44
Wild. And to think I used to build models of all this stuff as a kid.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wild. And to think I used to build models of all this stuff as a kid.

Now you can use a Tie-fighter, and shoot down Luke, and R2-D2 before they blow up the Death Star. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 44
Looks like fun! Can I make Han shoot first again?
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now you can use a Tie-fighter, and shoot down Luke, and R2-D2 before they blow up the Death Star. 1wink.gif

I'm going to be that guy and correct you. 😁

It's TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 44

I will make Han shoot FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm going to be that guy and correct you. 😁

It's TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter.

I always thought it was called a 'TIE' Fighter because that's what it looks like. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I always thought it was called a 'TIE' Fighter because that's what it looks like. lol.gif

You are both right. The model makers called it a "TIE" because it looked like a bow tie, they made up the "twin ion engine" description to give the acronym some basis in universe. Also consider it is pretty clear there is only one engine in the original TIE fighter.
post #9 of 44

Industrial Light and Magic App.

 

Replaces the an entire datacenter rendering farm, a graphics workstation the size of  your sofa, and hours/days of compute time and puts it in a box smaller than the VCR cassette the original movie shipped in.

 

Think about it.  

post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post


You are both right. The model makers called it a "TIE" because it looked like a bow tie, they made up the "twin ion engine" description to give the acronym some basis in universe. Also consider it is pretty clear there is only one engine in the original TIE fighter.

 

Life long star wars fan, and never knew this. Always just assumed the acronym came first....and now realize how stupid that is, considering how 'X-Wing' and 'Y-wing' got their oh-so-creative names.

post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Industrial Light and Magic App.

Replaces the an entire datacenter rendering farm, a graphics workstation the size of  your sofa, and hours/days of compute time and puts it in a box smaller than the VCR cassette the original movie shipped in.

Think about it.  

Not quite the same output quality but if they mixed it with cloud computing to take the movements made on the iPad and render them at full quality, that would be cool. Here's what the output quality could be like:






They'd probably get overloaded with requests though. I'd recreate the scene where the Stormtrooper bangs his head on the door:



Also, if Disney hadn't dismantled LucasArts, maybe we'd have a proper Star Wars game. It's not all their fault but they could have fixed it instead of abandoning it:

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/04/21/lucasarts-fell-apart



This scene maker is what gets left. They could have ported over so many games:

https://www.lucasarts.com/games/platform.html

Monkey Island was already ported over as well as KOTOR. From now on, Disney will outsource development of future games but they're probably more interested in low risk development so I doubt we'll see many big titles. The Angry Birds Star Wars game happened after Disney bought out LucasFilm and Disney is listed as a distributor, although I'm not sure how much distribution was required unless it was the merchandise side:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/28/angry-birds-leads-to-star-wars-star-wars-leads-to-toys-toys-leads-to-30m-scans/
post #12 of 44
Beaten to it, but I will make Han shoot first in every scene.

Will they release the prequels so fans can write better dialogue, plot, and kill JarJar?
post #13 of 44
I think we now know what the J.J.Abrahms SW movies will be - a dramatic retelling of the current six part series inspired by fan re-created scenes using this app. Gah!
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I think we now know what the J.J.Abrahms SW movies will be - a dramatic retelling of the current six part series inspired by fan re-created scenes using this app. Gah!

 I'm not really looking forward to the new movies being directed by JJ Abrahms.

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 I'm not really looking forward to the new movies being directed by JJ Abrahms.

Why not? I think he's done a good job with Star Trek.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Why not? I think he's done a good job with Star Trek.

I guess that it's just a matter of taste.

 

I was mostly thinking about his tv series, and I think that there's too much supernatural and weird things happening, like in Lost or Fringe or Revolution or his other series. It would be better without all of the ridiculous supernatural stuff in my opinion.

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Looks like fun! Can I make Han shoot first again?

Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
Insert Witty Comment Here
Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess that it's just a matter of taste.

I was mostly thinking about his tv series, and I think that there's too much supernatural and weird things happening, like in Lost or Fringe or Revolution or his other series. It would be better without all of the ridiculous supernatural stuff in my opinion.

The problem with the TV shows is that he starts them but then someone else takes over. They really botched the ending of LOST. The ending of anything should be what's written first, and then figure out how to get there. The time limit of a movie seems more suitable for JJ.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 44

The films that really need re-shooting are Episodes I, II, and III.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The films that really need re-shooting are Episodes I, II, and III.
Just sayin'.

I personally want Porky's re-shot in 4K. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Looks like fun! Can I make Han shoot first again?

That's perhaps what AppleInsider meant by "Star Wars fanatics can now relieve their love..." lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 44
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post
I will make Han shoot FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

 

I should hope that scenes aren’t limited to one instance of a character (of course they will be; Disney doesn’t care at all about fun). 

 

Just have 20 Han Solos show up and shoot Greedo simultaneously. :p

 

Vader’s gonna shoot down the X-wings over Yavin? 20 Hans! Luke’s about to lose his hand in the Bespin fight? 20 Hans! Ewoks taking a beating on Endor? 20 Hans!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post


You are both right. The model makers called it a "TIE" because it looked like a bow tie, they made up the "twin ion engine" description to give the acronym some basis in universe. Also consider it is pretty clear there is only one engine in the original TIE fighter.

 

I'm going to challenge you to find a source on that because there is no evidence anyone imagined the TIE Fighter as a bow-tie. More likely is Lucas heard the term "Thai fighter" (as in kick boxer) and made a mental note of it, just as the term "Wookiee" came from a friend of Lucas' who ran over some unidentified thing with his car, and the name "RD-D2" came from "reel two, dialogue two".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm going to challenge you to find a source on that because there is no evidence anyone imagined the TIE Fighter as a bow-tie. More likely is Lucas heard the term "Thai fighter" (as in kick boxer) and made a mental note of it, just as the term "Wookiee" came from a friend of Lucas' who ran over some unidentified thing with his car, and the name "RD-D2" came from "reel two, dialogue two".


http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_series

Scroll down to Behind the scenes.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not? I think he's done a good job with Star Trek.

Nope. Into Darkness was a mess. I enjoyed it because I'm a nerd but it was still a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The problem with the TV shows is that he starts them but then someone else takes over. They really botched the ending of LOST. The ending of anything should be what's written first, and then figure out how to get there. The time limit of a movie seems more suitable for JJ.

How can you write the ending if you don't know if you'll make it past 13 or 22 episodes?

They can have a loose guideline of what they want to cover.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nope. Into Darkness was a mess. I enjoyed it because I'm a nerd but it was still a mess.
How can you write the ending if you don't know if you'll make it past 13 or 22 episodes?

They can have a loose guideline of what they want to cover.

I have to agree with you on Into Darkness. I also enjoyed it, but would never pretend it was anything close to being a good movie. Certainly it was not on par with a Classic like Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. Into Darkness completely wasted the Khan character. (And why is Khan Noonian Sighn a white guy with a British accent anyway?)
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_series

Scroll down to Behind the scenes.

 

Based on that wiki link you appear to be correct, however there is no source or attribution. Since 1977 I've never seen any written or recorded proof that is the actual explanation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Based on that wiki link you appear to be correct, however there is no source or attribution. Since 1977 I've never seen any written or recorded proof that is the actual explanation.

With all due respect, you shouldn't take this so seriously. That said, here is another citation: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html

Edited so I would sound less obnoxious.
Edited by Firelock - 6/19/14 at 3:10pm
post #29 of 44

Just Because.

 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post
(And why is Khan Noonian Sighn a white guy with a British accent anyway?)

The character is actually of Indian decent, at least according to the original episodes screenplay and books written there after, but was played by an actor from Mexico in the TV series and first movie. Why should a white guy from Britain not be allowed to play this character as well. At least England is closer to India then Mexico geographically speaking, actually historically as well.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How can you write the ending if you don't know if you'll make it past 13 or 22 episodes?

They can have a loose guideline of what they want to cover.

I get your point but at least know what the ultimate story is. Like in LOST, whoever had the idea should've at least known what the island was, and why did the characters end up there. The success of the show took them by surprise, and they struggled to keep the story going plus come up with a good finale.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I get your point but at least know what the ultimate story is. Like in LOST, whoever had the idea should've at least known what the island was, and why did the characters end up there. The success of the show took them by surprise, and they struggled to keep the story going plus come up with a good finale.

But they did know the major story lines for the show. EW had a feature on finales and the Lost guys were part of it. I don't remember if it was them or other writers but they question who says the finale has to be the best episode? The finale wrapped up the show. Unfortunately you can never please everyone. I enjoyed the finale.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But they did know the major story lines for the show. EW had a feature on finales and the Lost guys were part of it. I don't remember if it was them or other writers but they question who says the finale has to be the best episode? The finale wrapped up the show. Unfortunately you can never please everyone. I enjoyed the finale.

It doesn't have to be the best episode, but it shouldn't be a ending that was thought up by committee. If I was a TV exec the question after 'what is the show about?', would be 'ok it's 5 years later, how does the show end?'.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post


With all due respect, you shouldn't take this so seriously. That said, here is another citation: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html

Edited so I would sound less obnoxious.

 

In any event, I tip my hat to you.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It doesn't have to be the best episode, but it shouldn't be a ending that was thought up by committee. If I was a TV exec the question after 'what is the show about?', would be 'ok it's 5 years later, how does the show end?'.

If I was a TV exec, why would I want to limit a potential hit show to five seasons?
post #36 of 44
Darn tooting! I had friends on that Death Star

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Just Because.

Private contractors are such a rip off. I'm going to enjoy that Death Star explosion even more now. :)

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Private contractors are such a rip off. I'm going to enjoy that Death Star explosion even more now. 1smile.gif

What about their families? I can't imagine the Death Star containing just the military.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If I was a TV exec, why would I want to limit a potential hit show to five seasons?

They start getting long in the tooth after 5 years.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What about their families? I can't imagine the Death Star containing just the military.

The New Death Star Day Care now accepting applications. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Disney's 'Star Wars Scene Maker' lets users recreate iconic movie scenes on their iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Disney's 'Star Wars Scene Maker' lets users recreate iconic movie scenes on their iPad