or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Video shows high-quality 3D render of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2

Video shows high-quality 3D render of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2

post #1 of 46
With construction of Apple's massive new corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., now underway, a 3D design shop has offered an advanced rendering, showcasing what Campus 2 is expected to look like once it's completed in 2016.

The above video was made by Technology Integration Services Inc., and was created based on publicly available info about Apple's Campus 2. The render showcases the huge "spaceship" building that represents the bulk of the project, but also provides a closer look at some of the smaller details.

The flyover view gives a glimpse at the nearby area and roads, as well as adjacent buildings that will accompany the main facility. Of note are the underground roads, nearby parking structures, and an impressive fountain located in the center of the "spaceship" building.

Construction is currently underway at the site of the future Apple campus, but as of now it's essentially a large, circular pile of dirt. Apple plans to officially move into the large main structure by 2016, while the accompanying secondary buildings will be finished on a rolling basis.

Render courtesy of Technology Integration Services Inc.

Last November, Apple won final approval for its Campus 2 plans, which were first unveiled in 2011 by Apple cofounder Steve Jobs. The large circular main structure that some have taken to calling the "spaceship" will house some 12,000 employees, while secondary buildings will accommodate meeting and presentation space.

The original price of the build was expected to be near $3 billion, but the budget quickly increased to $5 billion, causing a delay as architects tried to bring down costs. So-called "fit and finish" aspects of the planned construction, like the monolithic curved glass windows lining the main building's perimeter, were said to account for most of the inflated price tag.
post #2 of 46
Now do a render of the campus in flight mode¡

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 46
Awww, too short. I wanna cruse all around; pick an apricot off a tree.
post #4 of 46
BTW, $5 billion is virtually chump change to Apple. Facebook spent nearly 4x that amount to acquire WhatsApp.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 46
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I want the model they used to play around in, myself. Free, of course. :p

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #6 of 46
Wow, that looks awesome!
post #7 of 46

Pretty sweet. Looks fabulous. I like the music a lot too, however, in the beginning of the track I'm hearing some high static in the right channel. Is anyone else hearing that too or do I need to head over to the Apple store for some new headphones? I'm using my older Sony phones at work right now. My new AKG set is at home so I can't test it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 46
No company builds a campus as big as the Pentagon with the intention of just selling iDevices. Apple must have some big stuff planned.
post #9 of 46

Cool video. They're using old info though; Apple has since modified the layout inside the circle to move the fountain/pond off to the side instead of center.

post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

BTW, $5 billion is virtually chump change to Apple. Facebook spent nearly 4x that amount to acquire WhatsApp.

Also they doubled the occupancy goal so a cost increase would be the normal result of that sort of change...

post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

No company builds a campus as big as the Pentagon with the intention of just selling iDevices. Apple must have some big stuff planned.

They already employ enough people to fill the thing....

post #12 of 46

Man, I'd like to see that on a Phone Fire!

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Pretty sweet. Looks fabulous. I like the music a lot too, however, in the beginning of the track I'm hearing some high static in the right channel. Is anyone else hearing that too or do I need to head over to the Apple store for some new headphones? I'm using my older Sony phones at work right now. My new AKG set is at home so I can't test it.
I picked it up too on my laptop.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #14 of 46
Are all the rooftops covered with solar panels? Or is that just the way is was rendered?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Are all the rooftops covered with solar panels? Or is that just the way is was rendered?

I would hope so. Apple would make me a sad Panda if they wasted a bunch of land mass for all of those solar panels.
post #16 of 46
I hope the roofs are going to be solar panel based, or i'm going to be disappointed in Apples momentum in pushing renewable energy sources.
post #17 of 46

Does any one remember that there was one land owner who refused to sell? Is that the property with the orange roof at the bottom right corner in the beginning and also in the foreground near the end?

post #18 of 46
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Campus 2 proper is designed to be, though I've not heard anything about any other buildings.

Originally Posted by zindako View Post
I hope the roofs are going to be solar panel based, or i'm going to be disappointed in Apples momentum in pushing renewable energy sources.

Nice false concern. Come off it.

post #19 of 46
"just selling iDevices"

lol, like that hasn't worked out for them so far.

maybe they should just give the money back to the shareholders....?
post #20 of 46
Quote:

Hope so
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Campus 2 proper is designed to be, though I've not heard anything about any other buildings.

Nice false concern. Come off it.

How is that a false concern, I love everything about Apple as a company, including their products, and their push for renewable energy sources such as solar. But it would be a half step if they build this magnificent structure and not include solar panels in its design. I'm assuming the rendered video shows what looks like solar panels, but not confirmed in any news released by Apple about the campus structural design.

post #22 of 46
Quote:

How is that a false concern, I love everything about Apple as a company, including their products, and their push for renewable energy sources such as solar. But it would be a half step if they build this magnificent structure and not include solar panels in its design. I'm assuming the rendered video shows what looks like solar panels, but not confirmed in any news released by Apple about the campus structural design.

What makes solar panels the right design for this particular building? Would you you still be disappointed if the building was completely powered by renewable sources but these sources were not solar?

post #23 of 46

It could be powered by wind or water, I would not mind at all, but societies in general really need to start tapping the almost unlimited potential in solar applications, Germany is making incredible strides in this direction. I'm just hoping Apple follows suit.

post #24 of 46
How is that a false concern...

You're inventing a false scenario based on absolutely nothing and pretending it would be "bad" for Apple to not meet the ludicrous standard.

I love everything about Apple... But...

No one cares. This doesn't matter.

...not confirmed in any news released by Apple about the campus structural design.

Nope.

post #25 of 46
Really looking forward to some new product lines coming out of that spaceship.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're inventing a false scenario based on absolutely nothing and pretending it would be "bad" for Apple to not meet the ludicrous standard.

No one cares. This doesn't matter.

Nope.

Well thanks for the link, I stand corrected, this makes me very happy Apple did go with  100% renewable for the entire facility.

post #27 of 46

looks like all the building have solar panels on them....

post #28 of 46

This would be so cool if it was like the building from "The Jetsons".

Edited by InteliusQ - 6/19/14 at 2:11pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:

As long as the power for the site is responsibly sourced why give a crap about the micromanaging details of where it comes from?

Mandatory roof solar panels? Yikes.

post #30 of 46
IMHO, it would be great to work at Apple just to be able to work in that building.
post #31 of 46
Quote:

It could be powered by wind or water, I would not mind at all, but societies in general really need to start tapping the almost unlimited potential in solar applications, Germany is making incredible strides in this direction. I'm just hoping Apple follows suit.

Perhaps powered or supplemented with Bloom Energy fuel cells? Apple and Google both use these.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

The render is unrealistic in regard to the maturity of the landscaping in 2016. There's no way the trees would be that mature in two years time, when they haven't even been planted. It might look like this in 2030.

The apricots will be great some day. I hope they plant some Blenheims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

What makes solar panels the right design for this particular building?

It's a lot of area -- unused space -- and it's pretty sunny in Cupertino. Remember, the Santa Clara Valley used to be one of the premier agricultural areas in all of the United States.

It doesn't rain that hard in Cupertino (the incoming storms typically dump a lot of moisture on the Santa Cruz Mountains, but once the storm clouds reach the valley, a lot of the moisture is already gone.

The climate is moderate, it almost never snows. I think the last time there was any accumulation on the valley floor was 1976 (maybe 1-3 inches), and even that melted by noon. Wind-related damage to solar panels is negligible since the Santa Cruz Mountains provide shelter (again why the valley was such an awesome agricultural zone).

Generally speaking the SF Bay Area is a great place for solar energy generation, apart from some of the foggier coastal areas, and even in those places the fog is typically seasonal.

Edited by mpantone - 6/19/14 at 8:44pm
post #33 of 46
I really hope they're using solar freakin' roadways.
post #34 of 46
Would like to a fly-over of Steve Job's parents garage where he and Wosniak first tinkered with HP circuit boards. For comparison.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

IMHO, it would be great to work at Apple just to be able to work in that building.

I think it would be great to visit and tour this building.  Personally I would not enjoy working in a structure that size.  

post #36 of 46
Originally Posted by frxntier View Post
I really hope they're using solar freakin' roadways.

The $54 trillion scam, you mean?

post #37 of 46

Where is employee and visitor parking?

post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does any one remember that there was one land owner who refused to sell? Is that the property with the orange roof at the bottom right corner in the beginning and also in the foreground near the end?

Didn't want to sell: http://www.irvinecompanyapartments.com/Communities/The-Hamptons/

The building with the orange roof is the fitness center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Where is employee and visitor parking?

Two decks under the ring and the two large buildings alongside the freeway

post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The render is unrealistic in regard to the maturity of the landscaping in 2016. There's no way the trees would be that mature in two years time, when they haven't even been planted. It might look like this in 2030.

The apricots will be great some day. I hope they plant some Blenheims.

It's a lot of area -- unused space -- and it's pretty sunny in Cupertino. Remember, the Santa Clara Valley used to be one of the premier agricultural areas in all of the United States.

It doesn't rain that hard in Cupertino (the incoming storms typically dump a lot of moisture on the Santa Cruz Mountains, but once the storm clouds reach the valley, a lot of the moisture is already gone.

The climate is moderate, it almost never snows. I think the last time there was any accumulation on the valley floor was 1976 (maybe 1-3 inches), and even that melted by noon. Wind-related damage to solar panels is negligible since the Santa Cruz Mountains provide shelter (again why the valley was such an awesome agricultural zone).

Generally speaking the SF Bay Area is a great place for solar energy generation, apart from some of the foggier coastal areas, and even in those places the fog is typically seasonal.

In short, you're saying because it's sunny there.

On a similar topic, you should put solar panels on your roof as well. 1smile.gif are you doing that?
post #40 of 46
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Where is employee

The two long, pill-shaped buildings, as well as underground.

…and visitor parking?

None. Go away. :p

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Video shows high-quality 3D render of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2