or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › EA begins huge iOS sale, Microsoft tweaks Skype with new version

EA begins huge iOS sale, Microsoft tweaks Skype with new version

post #1 of 28
Massive game publisher Electronic Arts has put nearly its entire iOS library on sale -- including blockbuster titles like Mirror's Edge and Need for Speed?-- while Microsoft's Skype issued a maintenance update for its recently revamped VoIP app.

EA Games

Gamers who were waiting for Electronic Arts's next blowout sale need wait no longer, as the publisher has dropped the prices of some of its most popular iPhone and iPad games to just $0.99, a savings of nearly $10 for some titles. There is no word on why EA chose to run the sale now or when the special pricing might end.

The full list of on-sale titles is below:

Skype recently redesigned their iOS app from the ground up to match its Windows Phone counterpart, and the company's most recent update adds some missing features and makes adjustments to the new user interface. Notably, message editing has made a return, with users able to press and hold on a message in chat view to edit it.

Users can also remove conversations from their recent list with a similar press-and-hold gesture, and favorites can be added directly from the favorites screen. The company also promises enhancements to accessibility using VoiceOver and "general improvements."

Skype version 5.1 is available now as a free, 44.9-megabyte download from the App Store.
post #2 of 28
Yay!!! Yahtzee HD on sale%u2026.killer.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #3 of 28

Screw EA.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw EA.

Amen.

Notably absent from the list is the ever-buggy, slothfully slow, SCRABBLE, which doesn't support Game Center, instead demanding you either use Facebook (ugh) or their own "Origin" (ugh).

I don't know why such a popular game has been abused and neglected in every electronic edition for 15 years, including the Mac System 8 version that did not even support internet play, despite claiming to on the box!

No, Words With Friends is not an adequate substitute--not even close.

post #5 of 28
Quote:

Screw EA.

I agree, but Monopoly is actually pretty good on the iPad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Skype recently redesigned their iOS app from the ground up to match its Windows Phone counterpart, and the company's most recent update adds some missing features and makes adjustments to the new user interface. Notably, message editing has made a return, with users able to press and hold on a message in chat view to edit it.

Users can also remove conversations from their recent list with a similar press-and-hold gesture, and favorites can be added directly from the favorites screen. The company also promises enhancements to accessibility using VoiceOver and "general improvements."

Skype version 5.1 is available now as a free, 44.9-megabyte download from the App Store.

Does Skype still route all calls through Microsoft's NSA-friendly servers?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #7 of 28
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I agree, but Monopoly is actually pretty good on the iPad.

BREAKING: Apple fans supportive of company's tablet monopoly; DOJ to investigate

post #8 of 28
Microsoft should be ashamed of the Skype release. It's missing so many key feature and an essential one like accessing Voicemails - but hey-ho it looks like a Windows Phone app so all is good.

I work in a building with no mobile signal and relied on my SkypeMe number to receive calls.
Now I get an email telling me I have a Voicemail that I can't access through the Web Site or iOS device. Nice one MS.

I honestly though they were getting their groove back and were going to release some decent, open apps, but I guess not.
post #9 of 28

most of the games are having an updated date of like 2 years and older.. having a last hurrah on these games, EA??

post #10 of 28
I wonder how EA are going to get on now that Apple is closing game advertising that shows videos of other games. I guess there'll be no more ways to earn free gold in Real Racing 3 now.
post #11 of 28
I hate the new Skype UI. I don't care if it matches the Windows Platform it not it sucks
post #12 of 28
Maybe EA should update YahtzeeHD for the first time in years. You know, since it's not even full-screen aware and never has been. Oh, and even if you pay for the app, they still run BS ads for their other games all over the place.
post #13 of 28
Ya I was excited about some of the games on sale but some of them were not updated since 2009-2010..... Compatible with iOS 3.0 greattttttt thanks EA for nothing.
post #14 of 28
Quote:

Screw EA.
Absolutely agreed!!
post #15 of 28
Wish I read the comments before buying like 8 games. They ALL SUCK! How on earth did EA ruin SimCity and NFS? Well, they did. They both suck. And probably so do the rest of their titles. Screw you EA.

And to hell with your annoying in game advertising. And all these join Origin popups. Piece of
post #16 of 28
Quote:

BREAKING: Apple fans supportive of company's tablet monopoly; DOJ to investigate

😆!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

"...greattttttt."

I've seen this post style many times (a normal word with a string of repeated consonants, indicating emphasis or a long, drawn out or exasperated tone). Here's the question: Why repeat the hard consonant instead of the vowels? A string of consonants is unpronounceable if read exactly as typed.

I would've typed that word as "grrreeeeeeat".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 28
Quote:

I've seen this post style many times (a normal word with a string of repeated consonants, indicating emphasis or a long, drawn out or exasperated tone). Here's the question: Why repeat the hard consonant instead of the vowels? A string of consonants is unpronounceable if read exactly as typed.

not sure just typed it out like that! TONY THE TIGER! THEY'RE GRRRRREAAAT

post #19 of 28
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

"...greattttttt."

You're infringing on Tony the Tiger (keeper of Frosties). Please cease and desist.

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #20 of 28
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Tony the Tiger (keeper of Frosties).

To anyone across the Pond, that’s so weird.

post #21 of 28
Quote:

Don't you have Frosties in the States?

post #22 of 28

They’re called Frosted Flakes here. It’s odd to see a store-brand cereal have one of our name brands.

post #23 of 28
Quote:

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #24 of 28
Quote:

They’re called Frosted Flakes here. It’s odd to see a store-brand cereal have one of our name brands.

It's darn near Communistic. :)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 28
Quote:

Quote:

Ah, Icy.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

I like Frosties.
post #27 of 28
Quote:

I like Frosties.

A corn flake by any other name tastes just as sweet. 1wink.gif
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

I like Frosties.

A corn flake by any other name tastes just as sweet. 1wink.gif

Maybe over there, but not here.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › EA begins huge iOS sale, Microsoft tweaks Skype with new version