or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging

Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The fact that a watch form-factor is:

1. Hands-free

2. A glance away

3. Always with you

Is extremely powerful, and the application possibilities are endless for anyone with a bit of imagination. 

That's exactly what I mean.  Those aren't features that will put it on my wrist.

Features that will put it on my wrist:
1) Waterproof
2) Elegant
3) Wireless /  Bluetooth
4) Wireless Charging (Charging from body and sunlight)
5) Sensors Sensors Sensors

6) Applications to make use of ^sensors

7) Accuracy

(i.e. Body Temp, Weather Temp, Heart Rate, GPS, Speed, [bodybug calories], etc etc etc)

post #42 of 118
Can't wait!
post #43 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

2.5" screen size for a wearable device? That sounds like something Samsung would make..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

2.5" isn't exactly 'wearable'.

You can't say that because without an aspect ratio or a length of at least one axis you have no idea of the display area or its relative size. 2.5" with a curved and elongated display is very different than a round or square display.

For example, 2.5" 1:1 is 1.8" ×1.8" which is 3.12" sq for a square or 2.54" sq for a circle. For 16:10, like in the approximated image below it would be 1.3" × 2.1" which is 2.81" sq. Go even further, like with Cinemascope at 1:2.35 and you have 1" × 2.3" which is 2.25" sq. And then beyond that, say 1:5 ratio for something like that bracelet mockup AI usually posts and you have a 0.5" × 2.5" which is only 1.2" sq, but I bet that would be quite a bit more than 2.5" at that aspect ratio.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #44 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Slightly rectangular as opposed to very rectangular? Lol

Please lord let it not be a stretched squircle.
post #45 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Am I the only one that thinks that if Apple does indeed have an iWatch in production, they should move it to Q1-Q2 2015 instead of this fall? Seems like this fall is going to be extremely packed with new iPhones, iPads, iOS8, 10.10, new Macs (Macbooks/Apple TV/Mac mii), etc etc along with the usual rush of Christmas. 

In the long run we'd all be a lot better off without Christmas. I've really come to dislike that holiday. It just screws everything up with family budgets, travel congestion, drunk drivers, religious tensions, kids off from school, etc. What a pain in the ass. Mandatory greeting cards for businesses...Bah humbug!

Also, why don't students go to school year round? The kids just forget everything they learned the year before over the summer and the parents have to pay for childcare for three months while they both work. When the family goes on vacation the kids can use the Internet to stay up to date at school.  Everyone else only get 2 weeks vacation. Do the teachers really need 3 months off? Come on, they can get a substitute for a couple weeks during the year. No more back to school sales either.

That way Apple can just release products when they are ready instead of cramming everything into the 'Fall' selling season.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #46 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Come on folks. "Slightly rectangular" means almost square, but not quite. When looking at form factors for such devices, you would need more than just "square" or "rectangular" to talk about it since rectangular covers a whole heck of a lot of territory. This is not math class.
We know that the hypotenuse will measure aprox 2.5 inches 1tongue.gif
post #47 of 118
I predict Samesung will release another watch this August bigger than that.
post #48 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Come on folks. "Slightly rectangular" means almost square, but not quite. When looking at form factors for such devices, you would need more than just "square" or "rectangular" to talk about it since rectangular covers a whole heck of a lot of territory. This is not math class.

Regardless of what the writer intended it to mean it's a ridiculous choice of words.

Now for math class: All squares are rectangles.

A better use of the terminology would be to say a narrower aspect ratio (as opposed to a wider aspect ratio) or just say it's close to being square. When it comes to being a rectangle it either is or it isn't. There is nothing slightly about a defining a rectangle.

post #49 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Users already want a larger iPhone screen do you really believe they are going to manage all that from a 2.5 inch screen? I don't see it.

Sounds like a good answer to Samsung's Gear: a wrist toy for novelty gadget fans in search of a need. But that's not Apple's thing.
Quote:

All computer technology not just Apple's trickles down from Mainframes.

I'll be sure to thank the mainframe for the punch card reader and green screen terminal built in to my iPhone. 1wink.gif

But if you mean hardware, that hasn't been true in a long time. If anything, modern mainframes are now influenced by developments for PC and mobile hardware, such as CMOS, low power consumption, better thermal properties, etc. In fact, a number of modern mainframes are using commodity Intel x86 server chips and Linux.
Quote:

The iPod Nano has a 2.5 inch screen and having it sitting in front of me that is a freaking huge screen on your wrist. How is the average female going to manage a 2.5 inch screen? On the average male that would wrap around the entire top part of his wrist.

If it is the same size and shape as the current iPod nano, then I would agree with that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Instead of rounded corners it's cornered rounders.

I thought it meant "almost square" (close to 1:1 aspect)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 118
Quote:

When it comes to being a rectangle it either is or it isn't. There is nothing slightly about a defining a rectangle.

I was looking for the name of a four sided shape that had two pairs of opposing sides of equal length but the sides were truncated circles sort of like a Reuleaux triangle but with four sides instead of three. I don't think there is a name for this shape.

post #52 of 118
I assume "slightly rectangular" means slightly more elongated than a square. Probably 8x10.
post #53 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying an iWatch. My iPhone screen is already too small. I can't imaging trying to read text on a watch screen. Perhaps it will be useful for telling time, but I don't really care what time it is and my iPhone already does that.

If that's all it did, then I would agree: it is not worth producing. So, if the rumors of its existence are true, it has to do more than show text or tell time.

I would argue that it has to do much more. It should do things that cannot otherwise be done with a phone, or would be too awkward for a phone. And whatever that something is, it must be important to "most people", not just novelty-craving gadget fans, as Samsung seems to have pursued with Gear.

Again, this is just inference. I don't know what Apple is doing.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 118
Quote:

I was looking for the name of a four sided shape that had two pairs of opposing sides of equal length but the sides were truncated circles sort of like a Reuleaux triangle but with four sides instead of three. I don't think there is a name for this shape.

Let's name it…
  • Squareuleaux
  • Reuleaux Square
  • Mstone Rectangle
  • Convexed-Sided Rectangle
  • Arched Rectangle
  • Parabolined Rectangle
  • Euclidiean Rectangle

Depending on if it has two curved sides or four (although i guess it could be 1 to 4 as well as convex and conceived):
  • Half/Full
  • 2-Sided/4-Sided
  • Dyad/Tetrad

Edited by SolipsismX - 6/19/14 at 4:22pm

post #55 of 118
Quote:

Users already want a larger iPhone screen...

Who says? Prove it.

post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.

So you posted from appleinsider.com and not forums.appleinsider.com, right? The comment field on the site proper has always been broken. It can't handle anything but the most rudimentary ASCII.

Thanks for explanation.

post #57 of 118

Im thinking that it could be almost 2 inches wide (horizontal on the arm) with a comfortable flexible screen on a velcro ban. What ever the form, I trying to figure out ho Apple is going to persuade me to buy one, but they will.

Cubist
Cubist
post #58 of 118
Quote:

Quote:

Let's name it…
  • Squareuleaux
  • Reuleaux Square
  • Mstone Rectangle
  • Convexed-Sided Rectangle
  • Arched Rectangle
  • Parabolined Rectangle
  • Euclidiean Rectangle

Depending on if it has two curved sides or four (although i guess it could be 1 to 4 as well as convex and conceived):
  • Half/Full
  • 2-Sided/4-Sided
  • Dyad/Tetrad

It can be defined much like the Reuleaux triangle so we should be able to find its area. 

post #59 of 118
It is the same as slightly square but since this reporting comes from the left coast where nobody wants to be square, it is slightly rectangular!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

And what is a slightly rectangular???
These reports are getting Ridiculous!
post #60 of 118
Quote:

It can be defined much like the Reuleaux triangle so we should be able to find its area. 

So would it be A = 1/2 (π – sqrt(4)) r2 ?

post #61 of 118

Below is BUSINESS INSIDERS's take on this exact same story lol.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's Quanta Computer Inc will start mass production of Apple Inc's first smartwatch in July, according to a source familiar with the matter, as the tech giant tries to prove it can still innovate against rival Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

The watch, which remains unnamed but which company followers have dubbed the iWatch, will be Apple's first foray into a niche product category that many remain skeptical about, especially as to whether it can drive profits amid cooling growth in tech gadgets.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/iwatch-screen-size-2014-6#ixzz358I2j4i8

post #62 of 118
Quote:

LOL.....
post #63 of 118
Samsung trolls on board again ...When will they give up !
post #64 of 118
No way Apple would come out with something as chunky as a 2.4" display - that's ridiculous! Everyone is expecting elegant - not elephant!
post #65 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is the same as slightly square but since this reporting comes from the left coast where nobody wants to be square, it is slightly rectangular!

Lol.....
post #66 of 118
Quote:

I'd like the killer app feature be wireless charging that will pull power over-the-air when it's near Android phones and Windows computers. Just suck them dry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sounds like a good answer to Samsung's Gear: a wrist toy for novelty gadget fans in search of a need. But that's not Apple's thing.
I'll be sure to thank the mainframe for the punch card reader and green screen terminal built in to my iPhone. 1wink.gif

But if you mean hardware, that hasn't been true in a long time. If anything, modern mainframes are now influenced by developments for PC and mobile hardware, such as CMOS, low power consumption, better thermal properties, etc. In fact, a number of modern mainframes are using commodity Intel x86 server chips and Linux.
If it is the same size and shape as the current iPod nano, then I would agree with that.

So you know for certain the iWatch is going to be any different than a novelty gadget? Did you have dinner with Tim Cook last night? You don't know anything about this watch and what it's going to offer on the first generation model. 

I have been an programmer for IBM since 1989. I've seen the technology moved downward. RAID was begin used on mainframe systems back in the early 90's. The true implementation of cache was also being used back in the last 80's. The technology you mention was still an evolution from MVS to OS390 to todays Linux for Z Series. Most network protocols hardware/software like routers started back in the early 90's in the mainframe network arena. Not much in 2013 I would say everything is starting to level out. 

I don't believe the iWatch is going to be like Samsung Gear however we have no clue how long it's going to take to evolve. The questions about how a one size fits all device is going to work is a valid question. I also believe that Dr. Dre was brought to Apple to work on wearable devices because there was a fairly solid rumor he already had a project going in that direction. Could be wrong but it would make sense if that ended up being the case. 

Even the threads on Apple forums when it comes to wearable hardware doesn't seem to gather insane interest. Unlike the pre iPad rumors. 

post #67 of 118
Quote:

It isn't about vision, there are actual physical limits to how big you can make a device that you are going to wear as a watch. Also the other side needs to have vision. If you are going to get rid of keys then you need the auto industry to buy into the vision. People would need to invest in home appliances and devices that can be controlled by an "iWatch". 

People aren't going to be pulling garage door openers out just to replace them with an iOS compatible openers. The last question is how do you build a one size fits all watch? Everyone wanted smaller devices now they decided sometimes small is just too small and are moving back to bigger phones and asking for tables with bigger screens. 

I doubt this rumor is true because Apple would have to design a watch that can accommodate men and women of all sizes. The balance on this is going to be hard. Wearable devices can not be one size fits all. 
What about the "Pebble"? It had the largest funding ever on Kickstarter. There are people out there that will want this so called iWatch.
post #68 of 118
Quote:

I don't think there is a name for this shape.

It's the shape of every television set from the 80's, viewed in portrait mode.
post #69 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

What's the killer app for the iWatch?

iLaser Death Ray. Be the first kid on your block to get one.

post #70 of 118
Quote:

So would it be A = 1/2 (π – sqrt(4)) r2 ?

This is Apple so perhaps it is a Golden Rectangle?! 1smile.gif

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #71 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Quote:

I don't think there is a name for this shape.

So the new name is CRT Curved Quadrilateral better put the /s

post #72 of 118
I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure
post #73 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

I think most, if not all, CRTs are like that which means it goes back well before the 1980's, but I have also found that shape purposeful built into a watch for aesthetic reasons dating back to the 1930s.

edit: Pipped by @mstone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

This is Apple so perhaps it is a Golden Rectangle?! 1smile.gif

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle

I think that was what they may trying to achieve that to some degree with some balance between the original iPhone display (which has a 3:2 display which could be stated as a 1:5 aspect ratio) and the casing (which is 2.4" × 4.5" which translates to a 1:1.88 while trying to balance how the mechanics of the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure

If half the rumours are true it will range from doing everything FitBit does and more to doing nothing FitBit does and less. 1hmm.gif I know, I know, that isn't helpful, but we really don't know anything.

Personally, I liked my FitBit Force but that clasp is so bad that not being overly diligent in securing it just once will likely result in it being a waste of $100. Took me about 2 months to lose mine and I thought I was being extra careful.

post #74 of 118
Quote:

I thought Matt Damon, and Ed Norton were the cornered rounders. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #75 of 118
what's the invitation for the announcement going to say?

i'm going with "it's about time".
post #76 of 118
Quote:

...but I have also found that shape purposeful built into a watch for aesthetic reasons dating back to the 1930s.\

Glad you recognized where I came up with that shape. There are a few designs that have all four sides curved but lots that have the two long sides curved with the short sides straight.

post #77 of 118

I love the people who are already declaring this to be useless and something they won't buy. Maybe wait until it actually exists to make a judgment on how good it is?

post #78 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

No way Apple would come out with something as chunky as a 2.4" display - that's ridiculous! Everyone is expecting elegant - not elephant!

It could be 2.4 inch diagonal and pretty thin (like those curved-display watches we have seen in almost every mockup story).

post #79 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Who says? Prove it.

Apple is making it larger. Everyone always say Apple knows best so clearly Apple believes it's users want a larger iPhone. That was a stupid comment. 

post #80 of 118
Quote:

That's a tonneau case. You see I actually know something about real watches.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging