or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging

Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging - Page 3

post #81 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Below is BUSINESS INSIDERS's take on this exact same story lol.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - [URL=]Taiwan[/URL]'s [URL=]Quanta Computer[/URL] Inc will start mass production of Apple Inc's first smartwatch in July, according to a source familiar with the matter, as the tech giant tries to prove it can still innovate against rival Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

The watch, which remains unnamed but which company followers have dubbed the iWatch, will be Apple's first foray into a niche product category that many remain skeptical about, especially as to whether it can drive profits amid cooling growth in tech gadgets.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/iwatch-screen-size-2014-6#ixzz358I2j4i8

That website is by idiots, for idiots.
post #82 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Apple is making it larger. Everyone always say Apple knows best so clearly Apple believes it's users want a larger iPhone. That was a stupid comment. 

The emphasized part of your comment is equally ludicrous. And erroneous.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #83 of 118

The thing about watches is that since quartz mechanisms were invented, watches have been a wear it and forget it item for several years at least, depending on battery life. If Apple or any other smartwatch manufacturer manages to get people to charge their watches every few days, I'll be extremely impressed. I suspect that any attempt at a smartwatch will run into this barrier - nobody needs two portable devices that require constant attention - one is quite enough.

post #84 of 118
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
You can't say that because without an aspect ratio or a length of at least one axis you have no idea of the display area or its relative size. 2.5" with a curved and elongated display is very different than a round or square display.

Looking at my forearm, as rectangular as it is, I doubt it’s suited for a 7” screen at 16:68. :p 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #85 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

That's a tonneau case. You see I actually know something about real watches.

Can you elaborate?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #86 of 118

I obviously speak only as a consumer, but a consumer who wanted an MP3 Player but did not buy one because they were not easy enough to use until the iPod came out, wanted a better smart phone before the iPhone came out (but did not grasp the HOW much it would change life); and always looked for tablet/slates before the iPad came out. It is not that Apple invents categories, they perfect them.

But as for an iWatch, I just don't see the appeal. People differentiate between fashion/jewelry, and tech. See how quickly utility watches disappeared when they were not necessary anymore; only jewelry watches remain. They are not worn because they show the time, but because they convey wealth or fashion sense; people love to hide our technology, even if that technology (time keeping) has been around for centuries.

I see the benefits of a small device that one always wears, but it would have to be virtually weightless, and invisible! If had to wear it on the wrist, it would have to be hidden underneath the Rolex or Swatch. And using induction technology, it may even be able to feed off the watch's battery!

Edited by sflagel - 6/20/14 at 1:32am
post #87 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.

The 'three dots' is an ellipsis.  Something is translating the three dots you typed into a single ellipsis character, which is then not displaying properly.  AutoCorrect in Word and Outlook does this for me, maybe it's the spell check in your browser?

Are they sure about the 2.5" display?  That is the size of the display on an iPod Classic, way too big for a watch display.

post #88 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying an iWatch. My iPhone screen is already too small. I can't imaging trying to read text on a watch screen. 

You can always wait for the Galaxy WristNote...

post #89 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The killer app(s) will be the frameworks that allow third parties to create useful functionality. My guess is that the medical and fitness aspects will be the major sellers. You don't need a wearable to speak, text, browse, etc.

Voice commands could be a big seller for the geeks though I suspect that invoking Siri and telling her to dim the lights in the dining room and turn up the volume on the TV will always be slower than doing it manually ;)

Yup, it could have immediate appeal as an AppleTV/HomeKit remote and Passbook/mobile payment device...

post #90 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Well, they haven't sold ANY yet all those "millions" are in various analysts dreams so who knows?

That sounds familiar...

"Right now we're selling millions and millions and millions of phones a year; Apple is selling zero phones a year... Let's see how the competition goes."

- Steve Ballmer, September 2007

post #91 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Oh, for crying out loud%u2026!

(sigh)

Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.

Maybe you used the unicode character 'HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS' (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2026/index.htm) on your iOS keyboard (tap and hold dot on numeric keyboard)?

post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

But as for an iWatch, I just don't see the appeal.......

So you are judging a product:

1. That has not been officially announced

2. Not a single picture of the product has been released

3. Not a single feature of the product has been released

Good job on having an educated opinion on the iWatch!

post #93 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Even the threads on Apple forums when it comes to wearable hardware doesn't seem to gather insane interest. Unlike the pre iPad rumors. 

I recall some genuine interest until Samsung came up with their own wearables which deflated expectations.

post #94 of 118
Yes. I said it was just an opinion, from a consumer; but albeit a pretty representative one. The premise is a simple one: people don't actually *like* wearing watches; they do do so only as a fashion statement. Screens are not very fashionable. I just can't see a girl I a bar be impressed by a screen on a wrist (and yes, it is ALWAYS about what the girls think).
post #95 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure

If you have a 5S, it already has the hardware to do what the Fitbit does. Download a free app like Argus and check it out.

post #96 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Below is BUSINESS INSIDERS's take on this exact same story lol.
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That website is by idiots, for idiots.

"[Business Insider] CEO and Editor-In-Chief Henry Blodget is a Yale graduate who previously worked on Wall Street, then was fined $2,000,000 as part of a civil suit for fraud, and another $2,000,000 in disgorgement, and was censured and barred from the securities industry by the Securities and Exchange Commission.   -Wikipedia

post #97 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

It could be 2.4 inch diagonal and pretty thin (like those curved-display watches we have seen in almost every mockup story).

Yes, if that is the case, it could look very cool (especially the one where the display is the same width as the wrist band) - but this article claims a "slight" rectangle - to me that meant "mostly" a square.

post #98 of 118
It would be cool if it could measure blood alcohol content. To alert one considering driving an automobile that it is not a good time to do so.
post #99 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what's the invitation for the announcement going to say?

i'm going with "it's about time".

"Get strapped"

post #100 of 118
Quote:

Yes. I said it was just an opinion, from a consumer; but albeit a pretty representative one. The premise is a simple one: people don't actually *like* wearing watches; they do do so only as a fashion statement. Screens are not very fashionable. I just can't see a girl I a bar be impressed by a screen on a wrist (and yes, it is ALWAYS about what the girls think).

Function plays a part, probably a lot more than fashion in these days where wristwatches are an anachronism of people's grandparents...

For ex. I work in a bio research lab where I'm often protectively gloved and handling hazardous materials I wouldn't want to smear all over my iPhone: so to check the time or various additional data having something visually accessible right on my wrist has a purpose. Anyone whose work occupies their hands may have similar needs.

So I wear a wristwatch at work, use my iPhone etc. the rest of the time.

post #101 of 118
That's fair enough. But look around. Very very few people (especially the ones in their 20's) wear watches. Anyway, we will see what comes out. Maybe it's cool. But a geek-wear won't sell millions. That's not to say I am not intrigued.
post #102 of 118
Quote:

That's fair enough. But look around. Very very few people (especially the ones in their 20's) wear watches. Anyway, we will see what comes out. Maybe it's cool. But a geek-wear won't sell millions. That's not to say I am not intrigued.

Similar things were said about Apple's attempts with the iPhone and iPad. At the time it was just something geeks would buy or people for specific uses. In the case of an iPhone it's business executives bought smartphones and those needed a physical keyboard, in the case of the iPad it was people in the field or warehouse that needed to run running on the go, and even with the Mac it was said that real users are faster without that gimmicky GUI and mouse. Yet somehow Apple took their time to perfect devices that would actually work for the public as a whole. At this point I don't see any reason to assume that Apple design something just for geeks.

post #103 of 118
It seems I was not do wrong with my previous posts: "The source also reiterates that Apple's iWatch will be "positioned as a fashion accessory," which is in line with previous reports from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo has predicted that Apple will release the iWatch at multiple price points and in a variety of materials, competing with low and high-end watches alike. At the higher end, the iWatch could retail for thousands of dollars."
post #104 of 118
Quote:

Similar things were said about Apple's attempts with the iPhone and iPad. At the time it was just something geeks would buy or people for specific uses. In the case of an iPhone it's business executives bought smartphones and those needed a physical keyboard, in the case of the iPad it was people in the field or warehouse that needed to run running on the go, and even with the Mac it was said that real users are faster without that gimmicky GUI and mouse. Yet somehow Apple took their time to perfect devices that would actually work for the public as a whole. At this point I don't see any reason to assume that Apple design something just for geeks.

I don't think that's true. I have wanted a smartphone when I was skiing in chile in 1995 (I took out my cellphone and said that there is no reason I should not be able to watch TV and surf the net on it one day). and I definitely wanted an screen-only computer (indeed I bought a laptop one with a screen that swivels). it was just that the existing ones were not good. people want to talk mobile, people want to email mobile. and we want health info. but people do NOT want to look like geeks. that's why I think an invisible wearable device, or really luxury or fashionable, would be great, but not a geeky one with a square screen. we will see.
post #105 of 118
Quote:

Quote:

When it comes to being a rectangle it either is or it isn't. There is nothing slightly about a defining a rectangle.

I was looking for the name of a four sided shape that had two pairs of opposing sides of equal length but the sides were truncated circles sort of like a Reuleaux triangle but with four sides instead of three. I don't think there is a name for this shape.

Yes there is: slightly rectangular.

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #106 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying an iWatch. My iPhone screen is already too small. I can't imaging trying to read text on a watch screen. Perhaps it will be useful for telling time, but I don't really care what time it is and my iPhone already does that.

If that's all it did, then I would agree: it is not worth producing. So, if the rumors of its existence are true, it has to do more than show text or tell time.

I would argue that it has to do much more. It should do things that cannot otherwise be done with a phone, or would be too awkward for a phone. And whatever that something is, it must be important to "most people", not just novelty-craving gadget fans, as Samsung seems to have pursued with Gear.

Again, this is just inference. I don't know what Apple is doing.

Then you argue wrong. It doesn't need to do lots of things. It just needs to do a few things really well, much like the iPad.

post #107 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is the same as slightly square but since this reporting comes from the left coast where nobody wants to be square, it is slightly rectangular!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

And what is a slightly rectangular???
These reports are getting Ridiculous!

That's a pretty cool explanation.

post #108 of 118
Quote:

I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure

If you're old enough to get married, then go for it-get your fit bit. Bear in mind that the rumoured iWatch may not quite match up to the duties of a wife.

post #109 of 118
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

It's the shape of every television set from the 80's, viewed in portrait mode.

I think most, if not all, CRTs are like that which means it goes back well before the 1980's, but I have also found that shape purposeful built into a watch for aesthetic reasons dating back to the 1930s.

edit: Pipped by @mstone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

This is Apple so perhaps it is a Golden Rectangle?! 1smile.gif

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle

I think that was what they may trying to achieve that to some degree with some balance between the original iPhone display (which has a 3:2 display which could be stated as a 1:5 aspect ratio) and the casing (which is 2.4" × 4.5" which translates to a 1:1.88 while trying to balance how the mechanics of the device.

Quote:

If half the rumours are true it will range from doing everything FitBit does and more to doing nothing FitBit does and less. 1hmm.gif I know, I know, that isn't helpful, but we really don't know anything.

Personally, I liked my FitBit Force but that clasp is so bad that not being overly diligent in securing it just once will likely result in it being a waste of $100. Took me about 2 months to lose mine and I thought I was being extra careful.

Please note that 1980s has no apostrophe.

I will now crawl back into my grammatical grotto.

post #110 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what's the invitation for the announcement going to say?

i'm going with "it's about time".

Very good. Or 'Amateur hour is over.'

post #111 of 118
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

the rumored iWatch may not quite match up to the duties of a wife.

Siri listens to you, always answers, is available anywhere you have an Internet connection, and is cold, calculating, but still personal.

Few points in her favor, really. ;)

post #112 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

I love the people who are already declaring this to be useless and something they won't buy. Maybe wait until it actually exists to make a judgment on how good it is?

Love the people and leave them be.

post #113 of 118
Quote:

"usage: In the formation of plurals of regular nouns, it is incorrect to use an apostrophe: six pens (not six pen's). There are a few special occasions, however, in which the apostrophe indicates plurals, as with letters and symbols where s added without punctuation would look odd (or be undecipherable): ABC's; the five W's; dot your i's and cross your t's; the code is two H's followed by four #'s."

post #114 of 118
Quote:

Quote:

"usage: In the formation of plurals of regular nouns, it is incorrect to use an apostrophe: six pens (not six pen's). There are a few special occasions, however, in which the apostrophe indicates plurals, as with letters and symbols where s added without punctuation would look odd (or be undecipherable): ABC's; the five W's; dot your i's and cross your t's; the code is two H's followed by four #'s."

I'm right; you're wrong.

post #115 of 118
Whaaat? Hideous!

If the iWatch is similar to this, I may learn to love it, like a hostage learns to love his kidnapper.
post #116 of 118

those could also be displays for some sort of iPod nano as well. 

post #117 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

And what is a slightly rectangular???

These reports are getting Ridiculous!

That's a very good point. Is there a difference between rectangular & slightly rectangular? Does a square class as slightly rectangular?!
post #118 of 118
Quote:

That seems to be their MO.

FIRST! FIRST! FIRST! FIRST!

Now that's a serious watch

I agree with many of the posters here, this area of smart watch is full of challenges from the size of the actual face to the killer app & to trying to change the way that people have used watches for 100 plus years.
Me, give me a Tag or Omega any day & that's me sorted for wristwear
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging