or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M

Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M

post #1 of 154
Google's Nest on Friday revealed it will acquire Dropcam, makers of the eponymous Internet-connected smart home monitoring camera lineup, for $555 million.

Dropcam Pro

In an interview with Re/code, Nest cofounder Matt Rogers said the $555 million Dropcam buy is an all cash deal, with the purchased firm's team slated to move to Palo Alto, Calif. once the acquisition is finalized.

"The teams are very well-aligned and we love the product," Rogers said. "We both think about the entire user experience from the unboxing on. We both care deeply about helping people stay connected with their homes when they're not there."

The move comes after Google was rumored to be eyeing the company as a first foray into home surveillance, a contentious move given Dropcam's products are made solely for automated home surveillance.

Dropcam has made a name for itself in producing intelligent software-driven home monitoring cameras and apps that allow users to tap into a live or cloud-based video feeds. Advanced computer vision algorithms are mated to automated push notifications so users can remotely keep tabs on their home from any Internet-connected device.

According to Rogers, Dropcam's team will be indoctrinated into Nest's privacy policies, though the issue has been a source of consternation for consumers worried about parent company Google's targeted ad business.

With Dropcam's data living in the cloud, it can theoretically be parlayed for other uses by Nest or Google.

Anticipating critics' concerns over parent company Google's views on consumer privacy, Rogers wrote the following in a post to Nest's official blog:

Once the deal closes, we'll incorporate Dropcam into how we do business at Nest. That includes how we handle everything from customer support to customer privacy. Like Nest customer data, Dropcam will come under Nest's privacy policy, which explains that data won't be shared with anyone (including Google) without a customer's permission. Nest has a paid-for business model and ads are not part of our strategy. In acquiring Dropcam, we'll apply that same policy to Dropcam too.

Google and Nest came under scrutiny in May after the tech giant listed a number of potential ad opportunities, including refrigerators and other smart home products, in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing. Thermostats -- Nest's specialty -- were specifically mentioned in the document, prompting speculation that targeted ads would soon be popping up on Nest's in-home hardware.

Rogers notes that, for now at least, Dropcam's products will remain in stores and existing customers will be able to access their accounts, suggesting users may be forced to switch over the Nest's services -- technically Google's services -- at a later date.

With Nest's acquisition, Google has brought yet another former high-ranking Apple employee in its midst with Andy Hodge, who was picked up by Dropcam in May. Prior to becoming the smart camera maker's VP of Hardware and Strategy, Hodge worked as Apple's iPod product lead under Nest cofounder Tony Fadell.
post #2 of 154

Drop it like it's hot...uh, owned by Google.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 154
I have 6 Logitech Alert cameras saving recorded video to a $2/mo Google Drive account (for remote recorded playback and offsite storage) which is a much cheaper solution than Dropcam, which charges $10/mo/camera to playback any video. Both Dropcam and Logitech have great free apps for live video. Over time Dropcam can be more expensive than the burglary you are trying to prevent.
Edited by jd_in_sb - 6/20/14 at 5:55pm

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #4 of 154
Mmm. Just bought 2 of these and wondering about how smart that decision was. Regardless of promises about privacy (which I'm still skeptical about) this probably means my dropcams will never work well with Apple's new push into the home. Nest already looked like it was missing from the lineup of people integrating with Apple. I really hope "bought by Google" doesn't start equalling "not supported on Apple".
post #5 of 154

Google's mission of indexing the world information is now accomplished! Larry Page & Teams can now easily gather the data inside our pants too! Too small ... big ... cold ... hot ...

Holy Crap! :smokey: 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #6 of 154
Thank God I held off purchasing. I'm still waiting for Honeywell to catch-up so I can rip out my Nest units

There is no way I'm going to give Google entry into my house via connected devices. Your a fool if you don't think they will eventually mine your personal data.

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #7 of 154
What a joke. Who the hell is going to trust google with home monitoring? And do people actually take their proclamation seriously? Even taken at face value, how long is that going to last? Yeah, google won't get any data, unless you actually want to use any services, then you need a google + account. google has almost no ethical integrity, from promoting illegal medication adds, circumventing browser privacy protections, snooping on wifi networks, modifying search results.. even putting ads in my gmail asking "is your partner cheating on you" every time my ex sends me a few emails (I'm in the process of weaning myself off gmail).

Do no evil my ass. The self righteous, ends justify the means rationalization that Larry Page and other googlers use is, for me, the creepiest thing about google.
Edited by PatchyThePirate - 6/20/14 at 6:13pm

post #8 of 154

Allow me to chime in with a hearty LOL. Google won't use my data or share it with anyone else.... riiiight. Then WTH are they buying the company for? How dumb do they think we are?

post #9 of 154
Oh sweet bullox - I've had 2 dropcams for years, love them. Caught a baby sitter stealing 3 months ago. Dropcam is dead to me now, along side the bloody Nest. Hurry up HomeKit products! I guess the hasty 555 million was a knee jerk reaction to HomeKit!
post #10 of 154

whew! glad i didn't purchase one recently.

post #11 of 154

In an alternate universe, the Department of Justice would be investigating Google at this point for their hoarding and active acquisition of users’ personal information.

IOTL, they’re crying tears of joy.

post #12 of 154
Hey Google! You're creepy enough already.
post #13 of 154
removed from my "Shopping List"
Funny that in their blogpost they say "Nest is acquiring Dropcam".
What? Too nervous to write "Google is acquiring Dropcam"
post #14 of 154
Waiting for Googleguy defensive post in 3...2...1...
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #15 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Thank God I held off purchasing. I'm still waiting for Honeywell to catch-up so I can rip out my Nest units

There is no way I'm going to give Google entry into my house via connected devices. Your a fool if you don't think they will eventually mine your personal data.

"Honeywell"  Oh yeah… There's a name you can trust. :lol:

post #16 of 154
Nest couldn't buy them on their own so Google money is paying for it. A one product company (smoke detector just re-released as a limited function device) can now expand because their sugar daddy has money.
post #17 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"Honeywell"  Oh yeah… There's a name you can trust. :lol:

Google let it slip recently that they intend to yield data from Fadell's Nest (no brainer considering what they paid)

post #18 of 154
Adding to the chorus of happy Dropcam customers who don't trust Google and are not going to renew when their monitoring package expires%u2026

Need suggestions for an alternative, would hope that Apple has a plan here for surveillance video to the iCloud.
post #19 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacestation View Post

What? Too nervous to write "Google is acquiring Dropcam"

You nailed it.

post #20 of 154

Thanks but no thanks.  Nest = Google and Google = Nest.

Note the words "without a customer's permission" Yeah Right.

Their recording service will surely move to the Google Cloud if it is not there already.

I would look to Honeywell for these products if they integrate well with Apple's HomeKit protocols.

Time will tell.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 6/20/14 at 9:41pm
post #21 of 154

Oh great.  Another way for Google to spy on us all.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #22 of 154
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Do no evil my ass. The self righteous, ends justify the means rationalization that Larry Page and other googlers use is, for me, the creepiest thing about google.

Tired: Don't be evil.

Wired: Don't be Google.

post #23 of 154
#bigbrother #1984
post #24 of 154
Originally Posted by Moreck View Post
#bigbrother #1984

Irony.

post #25 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Waiting for Googleguy defensive post in 3...2...1...

Googleguy: Well, Nest is a subsidiary of Google and is run as a completely separate company. Just like Moto. Google has no control.

The fine print in the privacy statement: *subject to change according to our Google overlords.
post #26 of 154

Dropcam/Google/Nest = no way Jose!

post #27 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Googleguy: Well, Nest is a subsidiary of Google and is run as a completely separate company. Just like Moto. Google has no control.

The fine print in the privacy statement: *subject to change according to our Google overlords.

I totally believe you, Googleguy!

Thanks for bringing me, a humble fool unable to think for himself, the plain and utter truth.

Now, please, tell me more about this awesome company Google, as this is why I have decided to come to a website called AppleInsider that focuses on Apple news...

1wink.gif
post #28 of 154
New google logo
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #29 of 154
Google just wanting more cameras for people, next we will end up hearing that googles coming out with a Apple TV competitor with always on camera/mike.
post #30 of 154

Google can now succesfully monitor us and our homes now.

Of course we'd need a G+ account to use it, but that's a minor discommode.

Of course they'd offer us Ads based on what we do and how we look, but that's a minor discomode.

Of course they'd sell our private data to 3rd party advertisers without our consent, but that's a minor discommode.

post #31 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaayco View Post

Mmm. Just bought 2 of these and wondering about how smart that decision was. Regardless of promises about privacy (which I'm still skeptical about) this probably means my dropcams will never work well with Apple's new push into the home. Nest already looked like it was missing from the lineup of people integrating with Apple. I really hope "bought by Google" doesn't start equalling "not supported on Apple".

Google is free to submit an iOS 8 app.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google is free to submit an iOS 8 app.

They probably will if the reports that Google makes more money from Apple's devices than from devices running Android OS.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #33 of 154

What the **** is Google's obsession with cameras and surveillance? First the insanely creepy Google Glass, and now this? Who the **** in their right mind would want their home surveillance systems owned by an ADVERTISING company? I love how they set up Nest as a cover for acquisition, cause they knew "Google buys dropcam" would sound that much more creepy. 

Edited by Slurpy - 6/20/14 at 11:19pm
post #34 of 154

How come when I surf the web, I never see any 'Apple Analytics' or 'Apple Adsense' or 'Apple + Platform' or 'Apple AdWords Conversion' or 'Apple Connect' or 'Apple Social Plugins' popping up on any sites that I visit?

Oh, that's right, Apple is not spying on my every fucking move that I make on the internet, as opposed to Google, Facebook and a number of others who try to keep track of your every move.

Who in their right mind would ever want a Google Home Security Camera? Isn't it enough that they spy on you on the internet? What kind of dummies would let a security camera into their house which happens to be owned by an advertising company that likes to collect information about their users?

I guess that it's a great fit for Android users, as most of them probably don't give a crap about security anyway, so they might as well have a Google security cam in their house. What a bunch of morons.

Edited by Apple ][ - 6/20/14 at 11:41pm
post #35 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How come when I surf the web, I never see any 'Apple Analytics' or 'Apple Adsense' or 'Apple + Platform' or 'Apple AdWords Conversion' or 'Apple Connect' or 'Apple Social Plugins' popping up on any sites that I visit?

Oh, that's right, Apple is not spying on my every fucking move that I make on the internet, as opposed to Google, Facebook and a number of others who try to keep track of your every move.

Amazon is also very tracky. I've never signed in to Amazon from Firefox, yet Amazon ads appearing on some site still showed particular items from my wish list. Ad cookies are NOT shared between different browsers. But my broadband IP address is the same.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 154

LOL.

Advertisement at the bottom of this very page:

Ironic, much?

post #37 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

LOL.

Advertisement at the bottom of this very page:

Ironic, much?

If you get the yearly subscription with the app from AI you don't see these pesky ads anymore.

So in my case, thanks for sharing!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

http://www.webpronews.com/smart-thermostats-honeywell-announces-the-lyric-thermostat-2014-06

Job Done.

post #39 of 154
**** this. I really liked my Dropcam.. Now it is going to eBay if not the trash.
post #40 of 154
Well there is another product line I will have to drop due to privacy. I can't imagine anyone buying Google home stuff, given Google's business is not selling this stuff but selling you to advertisers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M